Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

neogeo0823 posted:

Yeah, I'm glad I did it on the first try, so I know what to avoid. I know I got the technique right, I just did it for too long. Next time, I'll let it go for 30-35 minutes instead of 45.

As you get used to making roux, you can cheat a bit. I make a chocolate roux at about medium heat (on a lovely apartment stove) and it comes out just as good as anything I ever did on low but in about 25 minutes. I add the vegetables right to it without taking it off the heat and as long as I keep moving things around, I don't get burned roux. You'll develop the right stir speed so nothing has a chance to burn but you don't splash napalm on yourself either. A thicker bottom on the pot seems to provide better protection against burning.

TenaciousJ fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

THE MACHO MAN posted:

On the topic of throwing in your veggies into the roux, what's the logic behind that? I've seen different takes on it, and I know the Nola recipes site in the OP adovcates for it (while also throwing in some trinity later on for more texture).

I think it's just preference. I prefer the mouth feel when I cook the veggies right into the roux so the water gets shocked out of them. If I add something mushrooms in, I would always add them into the roux since they basically turn into sponges for the liquid when you shock all the natural liquid out.

It's also just convenient since you'll only need 1 pot for the gumbo and 1 for the rice.

Breaky posted:

I made a thing yesterday for a bunch of friends, had a nice pot of chicken and sausage gumbo. And to be topical, I used kielbasa and a pound of linguica which has a nice peppery / garlic heavy profile.

Is that Gaspar's Linguica in the pic? I love that stuff for making stews and I find it's a fine replacement for andouille in cajun food.

TenaciousJ fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Sep 10, 2014