Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

There was a goon in TFR who posted videos of him hunting hogs at night with a spear in Louisiana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Klyith posted:

when the Daube Craze hit the thread a year ago I did a roux in the same oil I browned meat in and it worked great. I thought it was hosed up because bits of meat were stuck to the pot and blackening, and black bits are supposed to mean your roux is bad. but it was fine, blackened meat bits are not the same as blackened flour bits.

Man I gotta make me a Daube sometime soon.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I didn’t get pictures (and they wouldn’t have turned out well anyway), but I made the daube recipe from back in the thread and it was amazing. I threw in a few serranos on top of the cayenne and spicy tony chachere’s and it had a nice level of heat.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Anyone have a recommended red beans n rice recipe/guide?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

That Works posted:

This is a start but I use a bit less fat (adding butter at the end if seems it needs) and I usually just use 1 lb of sausage and skip the ham. Kielbasa works well here.

I like to add in a little fish sauce, cumin and paprika as well.

http://www.jfolse.com/recipes/vegetables/entree12.htm

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I really like this one

I use a little more than an eighth tsp of thyme and tsp of parsley, lol.

From this excellent cookbook:
https://www.amazon.com/Leon-Galatoi...ps%2C182&sr=8-2

Thanks to you both! I split the difference with the recipes and it seemed to come out great (made it a day ahead so I only snuck a spoonful or two). Used smoked jalapeño sausage because Texas and otherwise used the common ingredients in the recipes.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Y’all are about to make me act up and buy some boueffff

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Looks amazing. Serving bowl is unrealistic though. Just leave it all in the pot and let me work my way through it until I pass out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Helped my kid make homemade play-dough for school. My contribution was stirring the 2cups of flour and various other ingredients until it stuck together. Felt like good practice for an upcoming gumbo weekend.