Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

poemdexter posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one that does the potato salad in the gumbo. There's something about the creamy cool potato salad with the scalding hot spicy gumbo that's just a match made in heaven.

I couldn’t care less for mayo-based potato salad in general, but it works great here for what you described. I only tried it like that maybe a month ago for the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Klyith posted:

I don't make gumbos super-spicy, so that's not really a thing I'd need. But I have done gumbo with mashed potato instead of rice, which is pretty good. Also my mom used to make a version of grillades, but as a dinner meal and with mashed potato rather than grits. Pressure cookers make mashed potatoes a snap.

Speaking of condiments, half my family now live in North Carolina and I've started bringing back jars of carolina chow-chow when I visit. It is some weird intermediate between sauerkraut and kimchi, it's good with jambalaya and loving amazing with red beans & rice.

It’s also pretty good on top of grits with an over easy egg and some thick-cut bacon.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

A Tasteful Nude posted:

Roux tip: just go super extra low and listen to podcasts/drink beer. Take like two hours, who cares.

this is actually the traditional method

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Had dinner at Saffron last night. It’s a really good Indian place on Magazine, but in addition to their Indian fare they have gumbo on the menu. I was very skeptical at first, but after tasting it...I’m a fan.

It seemed to me that it was a very traditional shrimp, okra and sausage gumbo, but with curry and maybe garam masala. And it totally works. I’m going to try it out.

Wild. I’m going back for work in a few weeks, I’ll try to check it out.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I, too, gumbo’d last night. Leftover barbecued chicken, shrimp & andouille. Started late and kinda rushed the roux, thought I had a nice chocolate by the time I threw in the trinity but the end result came out paler and thicker than I’d really like. Tastes fine but I’m a little piqued.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Anyone ever used the cajun spice blend from Penzey's? Tried it on some shrimp for the first time last night and I thought it was great. Having not cooked much cajun food, I'm not sure how close it is to a traditional cajun spice mix, but it definitely seemed a lot like the flavors in the Paul Prudhomme bbq shrimp recipe.

Yeah I got some thrown in some kinda freebie when I was buying stuff recently. I don’t typically use blends, but seems fine.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Is there a kind of Sauternes I don’t know about or did he really put a quart of really sweet dessert wine in there?

i couldn't really speak to the era/culture he's speaking from there but sauternes is just a region, and while in the minority now, they've historically produced plenty of dry whites too so it's possible he's just using it as a umbrella term or something

it certainly doesn't look quite as syrupy or dark as what we generally think of as sauternes

also all of the actually good sauternes i've tried aren't that sweet, and i tend to prefer pretty dry drinks

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

:siren:Controversial opinion alert :siren:

I love fried oysters and shrimp as much as anyone but I think fried seafood po'boys are a bad use of delicious shellfish and worse than just fried shrimp/oysters on their own and that roast beef is the one true po'boy. Too much fried and bread at the same time and the fried on the seafood goes soggy from being confined in bread and covered in delicious mayonnaise.

nah i kinda agree with you but you misspelled cochon de lait

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

Has anyone posted the drunk cajun cooking video yet?

are you referring to the dumb meme that’s been floating around based on Justin Wilson’s PBS show?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Maybe I’m lazy with my stirring, but I find I can get a much darker roux with the oven method. I turn it off at milk chocolate and leave it in the oven as it cools and it’s much closer to dark chocolate by the end, without the risk of scorching.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Right?! I only learnt about that a few years back and it just blew my mind, but not in a good way. Just, ew.

Same, but I tried it and it was better than I expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Gumbo is Great

Anyway, my go-to is chicken or smoked turkey leg with andouille, trinity, fried okra and chopped tomato.

For oven roux, I do 350° for 2-3 hours, I generally use peanut oil or rendered bacon fat. I mix throughly to start and then scrape the sides of the pan and give it a stir every once in a while with a flat whisk as the flour tends to settle to the bottom, but it doesn’t really need much attention. If I’m making it ahead, I turn off the oven somewhere around brick red or milk chocolate stage and then let it sit in the oven as it cools for something closer to dark chocolate. If you want to sauté your trinity in the roux, I’d pull it instead of letting it cool in the oven, it’ll get darker as the veg cooks. I go a little heavier on flour than 1:1.