Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I've always found that having enough water to float a little bit of rice but hide the main body of the dish is pretty sufficient. Time for me usually entails waiting like 35 minutes and then lifting the corner of the lid just a little to check how much water is left, and then going from there. You need to be real quick with your peek, though.

Incidentally jambalaya makes great breakfast burritos for leftovers the next day. I like to cook up some breakfast potatoes to add in there, but I realize that's basically heresy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Yay Cajun! I've got one of Prudhomme's older cookbooks

I hope it's this one.

It has a real soft spot in my heart. Back when I was learning to cook this stuff, it was my first step in reference before I called my dad (who got me started cooking) for advice.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

OMGVBFLOL posted:

I don't know what it's like in Louisiana, but round Californy-way, tomatoes are way cheaper than almost any meat, and shrimp and other seafood cost approximately their weight in human flesh, so I'll be adding tomatoes to things and I'd better not take any guff about being a fancy-pants!

Move to western Oregon and they're BOTH cheap.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I put andouille on the pizza I made yesterday. When do I get my air boat?

Put andouille on everything, if anybody tries to stop me I'll go nuts on em

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I sometimes like to put little red potatoes in mine, so I'm not one to talk, but there's certain experiments you just don't do. Cod?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Phil Moscowitz posted:

No rice in the future I guess

That actually comes up. Having "sushi with real rice" means you're rich. Having actual fish in it is like a once-a-year treat.