Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
How did I miss this thread.

Defiance Industries posted:

I hope it's this one.

It has a real soft spot in my heart. Back when I was learning to cook this stuff, it was my first step in reference before I called my dad (who got me started cooking) for advice.

This was my first cookbook that I actually owned. Autographed, even - mom got it for me in Nawlins. It is well stained and the cover is long gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Grav I want that in my face. Nice.

Breaky posted:

Anyone got a good redfish / catfish / choupic courtboullion recipe? I've only got one and I never really get it tasting quite like I remember having it in other peoples homes.

I'm having a hard time parsing this. It's more of a technique than a recipe, and if you have the rough proportions already, why can't you adjust it to what you want to taste? Post your recipe? I'd be interested to see if it's weird or something. It could be missing some kind of anise flavor maybe? But it's a short stock - usually used for poaching fish. Why are you focusing on what it tastes like specifically?

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
I'd eat the poo poo out of that.

Breaky posted:

This is what I had worked off of before.

http://www.nolacuisine.com/2005/10/29/cajun-catfish-courtbouillon-recipe/

Note in the 1st paragraph it draws the distinction between French courtbouillon technique and a Louisiana courtbouillon recipe which (I think) are two pretty different things. Might be part of the confusion? I've only had / tried to make the Louisiana variety so far.

Yep, that's what was confusing me. That's funny that Acadians would call it that. The "court" in courtbouillon means "short." Means a quick stock made for poaching a fish. Of course afterwards it's fish soup, and of course it wouldn't go to waste, but still calling it courtbouillon after you fortify it enough to be a real soup doesn't make sense in French.

Anyway, that's a thing with too many elements for us to guess what your neighbors' taste like. There's a million things. How did you do your roux? How dark was it? Did you use fish stock or water? DId you make the fish stock? Out of what? What creole seasoning did you use? What was different about your neighbors'?

Don't mean to be a dick but need details to work with.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Well now that I know what we're talking about I can make a suggestion or two.

First, in french cooking especially, a little anise (black licorice) flavor is usually used in fish soups. Not enough that it tastes like licorice - but as an undertone, it's awesome. Gives depth. Usually that's added in the form of a good splash of Pernod. I use that in pretty much any french style fish soup.

Second, you could add a carrot to your stock veg. Not much - too much carrot is a bad thing and you have your own flavor base that you like. But a little carrot would add a hint of sweetness.

Third, the seasoning - I don't hear "garlic." I'd put a whole head, halved, in the stockpot. Mushrooms wouldn't hurt, but it would overpower if you use the wrong ones, like shitake. You could add some umami without 'em by using some chinese black vinegar, soy sauce, or worcestershire sauce. Or even including a bit of kombu in your stock. But all of these things should be added in limited quantities, like the pernod. Taste, taste, taste.

Fourth, I don't think using butter would help. Making a dark roux you'd be a shitton more likely to burn it unless you clarified the butter, and even then, the flavor of a dark roux comes from the flour.

Fifth, you could roast your stock ingredients until they have a little color before adding to stockpot. That gives more depth from caramelization of the veg and maillard of the shrimp shells.

pr0k fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 18, 2014

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
The butter is supposed to burn? Well not even burn exactly - a good bit of it polymerizes. The skillet is supposed to be hot enough that its seasoning burns off. The butter and spices combine and make a kind of crust that isn't even really spicy anymore because most of the capsaicin polymerizes too.

This is what it should look like. It flares up a good bit like that when you pour the butter on top.

http://www.imbored-letsgo.com/blackened-fish/

Interestingly, if you google "blackened fish" 80% of the images are of cajun-seasoned-seared-fish that isn't blackened at all, and 19% are of burnt to poo poo fish.

pr0k fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 26, 2014

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Then you ain't eatin' blackened fish.

I have a cast iron sizzle-platter stolen from a Chili's that I use for blackening.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
e: wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

guppy posted:

2. I used white pepper instead of black pepper because for some reason in my head that was the authentic thing to do. Everyone in here seems to be using black pepper so I'm assuming that's not true.

"Black pepper for bite, white pepper for burn."

Black pepper contains both the sun-dried outer husk, the black part, and the seed, which is the white part. Black is a little more complex and bitey up front. Paul Prudhomme calls for black, white, and cayenne in almost every recipe. I usually only use white pepper for mashed potatoes, hot-and-sour soup, and spice rub mixes like PP's.