Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!
Fun Shoe

bolo yeung posted:

My crawfish etoufee is as follows:

1/2 stick butter
1 14 oz. pack of frozen crawfish
1 whole large onion
1 whole bell pepper
1 whole celery stalk
1/2 head garlic
1 bunch green onions
1 tablespoon flour
crawfish stock/shrimp stock/water/veg stock
cayenne pepper
black pepper
salt
hot sauce

1) Melt butter in heavy (cast iron) skillet over medium low heat
2) sweat onion, bell pepper, celery, and the white part of the green onions for at least 15 minutes. Let it go SLOW.
3) Once the veg is very soft, add garlic and sweat for another 10 minutes or so over that low heat
4) add your flour and mix until well incorporated
5) add liquid and raise heat; let boil for a bit
6) season with salt/pepper/cayenne/hot sauce
7) add thawed crawfish and crawfish fat to the etoufee; lower heat to an easy simmer
8) simmer for a few minutes and add sliced green part of green onions right before turning heat off
9) serve over hot white rice

I'm going to try this with shrimp. Is this what is called a blond etoufee? Is that even a thing or am I mis-remembering? I've had darker etoufee and thought it was wonderful. If I wanted to make it darker, would I add the flour to the butter and make a roux first and then sweat the veg in the roux (like starting a gumbo) or would it then no longer be an etoufee? I especially like blackened redfish stuffed with etoufee :swoon:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!
Fun Shoe
Just finishing up some leftover Daube from Mandina's. I'd never even heard of this stuff before, but it is outrageously delicious. Kind of a Swiss steak on steroids, except they use brisket. Does anyone have a recipe for this?
I'm going to try to find Casamento's tonight. I've been in New Orleans for four days now and I feel like I've gained 10 pounds :hampants:

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!
Fun Shoe

neogeo0823 posted:

Woah, woah, woah. What? There's a cajun roast beef, now? You local goons best start spilling recipes now, because this sounds like it combines two of my favorite things to splurge on into one dish.

Daube.txt

● 3 lbs rump roast
● 5 garlic cloves, 2 slivered and 3 minced
● salt, pepper, Creole seasoning
● 2 tablespoons olive oil
● 1 large onion, chopped
● 1 bell pepper, chopped
● 2 celery ribs, chopped
● 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
● 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
● 1 cup red wine
● 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
● 1 tablespoon italian seasoning I (used bouquet garni)
● 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne (more like ⅛)
● 1 pinch sugar
● 2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped (I added chopped
green onion or chives)
DIRECTIONS
1. With sharp knife or ice pick, punch holes in the roast, about 2 inches
apart, and stuff with slivers of garlic.
2. Rub roast generously with salt, pepper, and Creole seasoning.
3. Heat oil in a heavy pot or Dutch oven, and brown roast well on all
sides over medium-high heat.
4. When browned, take roast out of pot and set aside.
5. In the same oil, saute onion, bell pepper, and celery over medium
heat until soft, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Add minced garlic and cook 5 more minutes.
7. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring frequently, almost until it begins
to brown, about 10 minutes.
8. Add tomato sauce and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally,
for about 5 minutes.
9. Add wine, beef broth, Italian seasoning, cayenne, salt if needed, and
sugar, and stir well.
10. Return roast to pot, fat side up, turn fire to low, cover and simmer
for 4 hours until roast is very tender.
11. Stir well every hour and turn roast over half way through cooking.
12. Slice roast thickly and return to sauce.
13. Sprinkle with parsley and serve with spaghetti (or pasta of your
choice).

I guess this is (italian) cajun roast. I had it once at Mandinas and it knocked my socks off. I found this recipe somewhere on the internet.
I made this and Mrs. Geek talked about it for days. It was very good

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!
Fun Shoe

Eifert Posting posted:

One of my only taboos on food is that I wouldn't eat turtle (it's just so unsporting, millions of years of evolution and we're all "sorry, dude, thumbs")

I am seriously tempted to try turtle soup. I'm assuming y'all use snapping turtles? Those seem like a fairer shake.

I like the turtle soup at Mandina's. When they ask if you want sherry in it, say yes.
Also, from a few pages back, when we prep okra for gumbo, we dredge it in flour then pan fry it. It adds a nice depth of flavor.

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!
Fun Shoe
When I smoke ribs I always use spare ribs. Before serving them, I trim them St. Louis style and throw the trimmings into the deep freeze. Later those trimmings go into bean pots, we rarely have to buy ham hocks at the store to flavor our beans.
We just got an instant pot and broke it in with this recipe: https://damndelicious.net/2018/04/30/instant-pot-red-beans-and-rice/
We added a chopped bell pepper to the recipe because, you know. It came out very tasty, but next time we will add in a can of beer and let it cook an extra 5 minutes because the beans came out just a little underdone.

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!
Fun Shoe

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I picked up a new crawfish boil setup

Good now you can invite ALL of us over for crawfish!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!
Fun Shoe

Rand Ecliptic posted:

Has anyone here cooked the 'red beans & rice with ham hocks and smoked andouille sausage', straight out of Chef Paul's cookbook? I've long used the recipe for red beans and rice on the Goons with Spoons wiki (https://www.goonswithspoons.com/New_Orleans_style_Red_Beans_and_Rice) and it's always so amazing. I can't wait to go back for leftovers.

But for fun I wanted to attempt Chef Paul's recipe to a tee. I ordered the sausage and hocks from Jacob's in LaPlace as well as the red beans. All the ingredients looked and smelled incredible even vacuum sealed. But the end result was pretty loving bad. The recipe calls for 3.5 - 4 lbs of hocks. I put in 4 lbs which was 7 hocks. They just threw out so much fat and gelatin and really mucked up the dish. The whole thing was kind of thick and murky and really not very flavorful even. The recipe also calls for using a poo poo load of water instead of a stock and the whole taste is kind of thin.

I'm confident I followed the ingredients, amounts, and timing to a tee. I did it as sort of an experiment but I fully expected it to be delicious. Yet I'm pretty sure I hate it and I loathe the thought of how much unwanted leftovers I have in my fridge. Anyone have any thoughts?
Seven ham hocks sounds about right - for four or five pounds of beans.