Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
A family member out of Alexandria, LA shared their etouffee recipe with me after some wheedling. The stuff is always fantastic (and was my intro to eating crawdads). The secret ingredient is loving velveeta of all things. Is this some real heresy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I've been in the kitchen when he made it, and he actually uses frozen stock. Not sure if that's his own or what. Recipe seems largely standard in every way... Except velveeta. But the velveeta seems to be added with utmost secrecy because while I saw it in the fridge, I never did see it come out.. You're right, though; if the velveeta brings me to the dance, might as well keep going dancing with processed cheese.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Crumbly isn't a fault in cornbread, but it might just not be to your taste. You can try increasing the egg and decreasing the milk used a bit and see if that provides enough binding power to forgo more flour. Corn meal made from heritage corn, while sounding quite wanky, may also give you more bready structure, but I don't have any recs if you decide to go that direction.

Martha White cornmeal is all I used until a few years back, and then I switched over to Kroger (so mom sends me bags of it from down south :3:). That's probably about as un-heirloom corn as one can get... And no eggs, either. Bacon drippings, milk, cornmeal, plus or minus a heart attack. I only make it for holidays now.