Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

guppy posted:

2. I used white pepper instead of black pepper because for some reason in my head that was the authentic thing to do. Everyone in here seems to be using black pepper so I'm assuming that's not true.

My general rule with western cuisine is that black pepper is the default with white pepper being used for aesthetic purposes (e.g. light colored sauces, mashed potatoes).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Would dashi work in place of stock in seafood based recipes? I'm considering being lazy since dashi is really simple and relatively quick.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

That Works posted:

Hrmmm. I bet it would? It's essentially dried fish powder right?

Maybe dashi with a little white wine or beer depending on the dish you're making?

Yeah it's steeping kelp and flakes of smoked/dried/etc fish for a few minutes.