Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Since you all seem to know about Cajun food, any advice on where/what to eat in New Orleans when i go down next weekend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Thanks for the help guys!

I love hole in the wall places with great food, spicy food and stuff that a region is well known for if that helps find some good places. Also crawfish, is it a good time of year?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

That Works posted:

Yes
Crawfish is just hitting the beginning of the season

I need to find the best place to eat as many as I can then :D

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Thanks for the continual help.! I wil def. give a trip report after I eat at some of these places.

goodness fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 9, 2015

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

I need to make gumbo after all this talk but never made it before.

Also, is there a time that is not good to order some crawfish from LA or its good all year? Any suggestions on places to order from and essentials to get?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

coyo7e posted:

Your entire post is unnecessary, unhelpful, and condescending. I don't give a gently caress what you think is a reasonable price for something and I don't give a drat that freezing it months ago would have been good right now - I don't have the freezer space in any case.

If you want to tell me about growing a garden check out the thread in DIY, you'll see my garden, and know it's out of season.

His post was not unnecessary, unhelpful or condescending. Step away from the keyboard if you think so with your fucks and damns. :drat:

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Got this recipe from a one-pot video, anything I can do easily to really improve it? Already subbing out the sausage for the proper kind

INGREDIENTS

Serving Size: 4-6

1 pound linguine
3 tablespoons butter (divided as 2 and 1)
2½ tablespoons cajun seasoning (divided as 1½ and 1)
1 pound peeled and deveined large shrimp
½ cup diced yellow onion
½ cup diced green pepper
1 pound kielbasa sausage, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon dried thyme
½ cup chicken stock
½ cup heavy cream

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Cajun food seems great for leftovers. I need to make something

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

I;m going to NOLA January 5,6,7,8 and need to start preparing the list of food to eat:

I've only been once and got to eat a bunch of crawfish and some beignets, I know there is so much more to experience

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Where’s the spot to get a fat plate of fried fish and southern sides around Freret/Uptown

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Phil Moscowitz posted:

High Hat might work for you, check out the menu.

http://highhatcafe.com/

Does anyone have any experience with these?

https://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/collections/bayou-classic-propane-jet-burners

I want to upgrade the boiling rig. I would really like to get an 80 quart crawfish pot to boiling faster than 30 minutes. My current rig is decent but it's too tall (like 24" off the ground) and the jet is weak.

I am also thinking something like this with a 30 or 40 PSI regulator.

https://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/collections/bayou-classic-single-propane-burners/products/sp40-bayou-classic-double-jet-propane-burner

HIgh Hat was great this morning, really good grits and pork

But I’m taking about like a styrofoam container from a hole in the wall type place.

Had some soul filling gumbo from a Jamaican food cart outside Tipitnas on friday

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

I'll have to get outside the city next time I'm down. Had some great food as always, I need to learn to make this stuff

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

I'm making that. WOW

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

There is a seafood truck with live crawfish, as well as Shrimp/Crab/Gulf Red Snapper/etc, coming through my area tomorrow morning from LA.

I've eaten a lot of crawfish but never done the boil myself, what is your goto process? Corn, potatoes, sausage will go in to.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

I. M. Gei posted:

Looking through the Picayune cookbook again and man, I REALLY wish there was a searchable easy-to-read Kindle version of this thing. I think Amazon used to have an updated version, but it’s out of print and doesn’t have a Kindle edition.

So many awesome looking recipes, but it’s so drat dense and tough to read, at least for me :(

Here is an annotated kindle version

https://www.amazon.com/Picayunes-American-Antiquarian-Cookbook-Collection-ebook/dp/B00BSHNZUQ/

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

I made this and it was one of the best things I've ever eaten. Now I need to try making it from scratch

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Work sent us a list of Baton Rouge food to check out in the area, thought the thread might find it helpful as well. Or mock the list since it has mcdonalds and canes on it...This list looks worse the more I look.

goodness fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

GEEKABALL posted:

Good now you can invite ALL of us over for crawfish!