Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
Made the jambalaya recipe from the OPs for dinner tonight. It was pretty good. Could have used a bit more cayenne imo but I was cooking for family and they tend to complain when I make stuff hot enough for me. Probably should have used some twine or something to keep the thyme sprigs together so I didn't have to spend five minutes fishing them out individually but eh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Okay well it took like an hour and a half but I I managed to ace a dark roux on the first try. Waiting for the stock to boil and then it’s simmering time
E: okay maybe not aced, it’s a bit on the thin side, but I didn’t burn it and that’s what really matters

Moatman fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 31, 2018

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Of the roux? No. Of the gumbo? Hang on
e: it's surprisingly hard to upload things to imgur from an iphone

e2: dunno why the photos are sideways

Moatman fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 1, 2018

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Well I figured out my problem when using the red beans & rice recipe in the OPs. 3 quarts is waaaaaay too much water, at least for soaked beans. Cooked it covered for an hour and a half (ish) and simmered for about another hour and it was still nowhere near the right consistency. Ended up pouring off a bunch of liquid and that was still too soupy, but close enough. Last time, I made it for my parents and my dad got tired of waiting, so he cooked in some dried split peas, which was good but it wasn't really red beans and rice at that point (the peas changed the flavor in a way I didn't really expect but I don't remember exactly what they did because it was a while ago)
e: actually it's still way thinner than I thought so looks like it's gonna be red bean soup and rice

Moatman fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 30, 2018