Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I don't know if they first mix list is authentic, but I'm totally using 2t of that spice mix in the beans and rice I'm cooking right now, (along with some cumin, a bay leaf and extra chilli). E: Giving it a try with smoked paprika as a veg beans and rice needs all the help it can get. :(

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Yeah, I put in a little maggi seasoning for MSG, and finished it off at the end with a Tbs of apple cider vinegar.
Late edit after a nap: My recipe FWIW:

No Meat Red Beans and Rice
Ingredients:
2t cajun seasoning*
1 tin diced tomatoes (I used one 440g can, if money is no object, double that)
2 cups dried beans (fast soaked, ie boiled 10min, let rest 1 hr, then drained and rinsed)
2 sticks celery, diced
1 brown onion, diced
1 green capsicum, diced
1t cumin seeds
2 Bay Leaves
3 mild/medium dried chillies (I used medium 'topaz' that I grew and dried, about 10000 SHU)
2T tomato paste
2-4 cups water (as needed)
3T oil
salt, pepper to taste

Optional Ingredients:
1T apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice, wine vinegar)
Small bunch of parsley (4-5 stems)
1 cinnamon/cassia stick
1t maggi sauce, or 1T tamari or soy sauce.

Directions:
1. Toast cumin seeds and chillies in dry pan, remove and grind. Set aside with 2t cajun seasoning*.
2. Add oil to pan, saute onion alone 5min
3. Add celery and green capsicum further cook 10 min.
4. Add all spices, mix to coat veg.
5. Add tomato paste and fry (stirring) for 1min, then deglaze pan with a 1/4c of water.
6. Add tomato, beans, bay leaves, cinnamon stick(opt), and enough water to cover, add the (opt) soy, tamari or maggi if using it.
7. Simmer covered until beans cooked and softened (2hrs), adding extra water if necessary.
8. Remove lid and cook uncovered if the sauce needs thickening. Remove bay leaves, and cinnamon if used.
9. Add 1T apple cider vinegar(opt), parsley(opt), extra chilli powder(opt) if required, and salt/pepper to taste.

*Cajun Seasoning (courtesy C-Euro):
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 ½ teaspoons (smoked) paprika
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
½ teaspoon white pepper (or just use an extra ½ teaspoon ground black pepper)
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 ¼ teaspoons dried oregano
1 ¼ teaspoons dried thyme

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 21, 2013

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Phil Moscowitz posted:

In honor of a new football (and gumbo) season, I made a shrimp and andouille gumbo.

Low-medium heat for another 5 minutes until you get a deep, rich chocolate color.

Looks so good.
I was going to make my first attempt at gumbo last week with chicken and chorizo, but never got around to it. I ended up using the celery and capsicum for frijoles negros.
If I get to the only store around here that sells cheap green capsicums (bell peppers) this week, I promise to do it for sure after your post.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Phil Moscowitz posted:

In honor of a new football (and gumbo) season, I made a shrimp and andouille gumbo.

Low-medium heat for another 5 minutes until you get a deep, rich chocolate color.

Yes, I have left some stuff out. There is some fresh thyme in there along with salt and pepper. Seasoning is kind of a personal thing.

OK, making mine right now, just chicken and chorizo. Got it to that dark brown colour where you can just start to smell it.

But holy poo poo, there needs to be a warning for this lava!!!!!!!!!!1
Splashed a bit onto my finger and I'm in agony and the skin has already blistered and started peeling.

It's taking my mind off my horrible toothache at least.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Needs to be a sticky on the top of every page in this thread.
I've had a lot of burns, from welding and stuff. This is the worst.

E: VVVV
Australia

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Sep 18, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Oh well, my partner didn't like it.
They said they hated the sausage because it tasted like salami. It was some unknown brand I bought at the shop where the cheap peppers, celery and other veg is, but it's not the shop we normally buy any meat at. Seemed alright to me, had a smokey flavour, but then again I was at the stovetop stirring, seasoning and tasting the whole time.
They also weren't impressed at eating dinner at 9.30pm. :shrug:

It was OK to me, nice change from regular meals. I've got to make some changes to my recipe, maybe 1/2 cup fat, 1/2 cup flour (instead of 1 and 1), less stock too, 750ml instead of 1L. Overall there was too much liquid for the meat I had.
I'll probably wait until I get some seafood and welding gloves before I do it again though. E: and maybe not take the roux so far, maybe she'll like it then?

What do you all do with the skin that forms while simmering? Skim it or stir it back in?

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Sep 18, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
When I made my own for my gumbo I did add some celery salt, so that's cool to know. I based it on an earlier post in the 1st or 2nd page I was messing with, and that's the only new thing I added.
Never tried allspice in it though.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
I got some cheap smoke cured chorizo this week (half price, so 2 sausages for $2.30)
I didn't feel like doing a gumbo, so I jambalaya-ed
I used earlier recipes as a template, like That work's, but as I know my rice, I did 1.5 cup rice, 2.75 cups stock and it came out of the oven just right.
Also I didn't have fresh or canned tomatoes - I would have added them after frying some tomato paste first. So I just added a cup of passata/puree/sauce. E: That's going to make a difference on how much stock to use due to the liquid in the tomatoes or can.

Chicken & Andouille Sausage Jambalaya Recipe

1 Tbsp butter
1-2 andouille (or chorizo, keilbasa) sausages, diced
1 brown onion, diced
1 green capsicum, diced
2 sticks celery, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 can diced tomatoes or a few fresh ones diced
1 1/2 cups rice
2 3/4 cup chicken stock
1 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
200-300g chicken, diced
1 Tbsp cajun seasoning mix (cayenne, white pepper, smoked paprika, salt, black pepper, thyme) - It was a recipe borrowed from c-euro IIRC, so I don't remember all the details as I already had it in a jar.

Preheat oven to 160 degrees celcius.

Directions
Melt the butter, saute the sausage until browned. Add the trinity (capsicum, onion, celery) saute until tender. Add the garlic and tomato paste, cook for about one minute. Add the seasoning and tomatoes, stir to mix. Add the Rice, cook, stirring, 1 minute.
Add the Stock, worcestershire and chicken.
Stir well and transfer to the oven to bake, covered, for about 30 minutes, or until the rice is cooked. (stir halfway through)
Top with parsley to serve.

Came out just right after 30 min. Might need to add just a little more salt and pepper.

E: I used chicken breast, so I didn't want to brown it and risk overcooking and being tough, so I threw it into the pot raw.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Nov 6, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Klyith posted:

One thing I've been experimenting with over the past year for things like jambalaya & creoles is reserving some of the veggie ingredients and sauteing them separately to throw in at the very end.
Good idea. I do this sometimes with chinese stirfrys. Saving some vegetables and especially nuts for a crispy topping. Ideally with a high heat source I wouldn't have to as they would stay crispy, but I have only a low heat sauce and it's a battle to cook things fast and quick like you're supposed too in a wok and a high heat source.
It would be great to have some crispy garnish on top of a gumbo or jambalaya. I do this all the time for asian dishes, but I'm a bit of a newbie in cajun/creole so have only done the basics so far.
Add some saved chicken skins, baked or fried until crispy, with the veg at the end would work if you bought whole chickens or skin on cuts.
I didn't have and chicken skin in my last cook as it was 300g I saved from a 800g skinless chicken breasts my partner bought on sale for a asparagus, mustard and cream chicken pie.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Nov 8, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

holttho posted:

However, the thickening power is greatly dependent on how far you take the roux. The most basic, white roux will have 4-5x the thickening power of a very dark roux.

Doing gumbo again tonight, and that's what I have worked out during previous cooks. The darker the roux, the less it will thicken.

I normally take my roux to pretty dark (40min cooking/stirring), and it doesn't thicken a lot in the end, just enough to make a sauce from stock. Nothing like a light roux and bechamel for example.
I normally do 3/4 cup oil and 3/4 C flour (not finely sifted, just junk straight from the bag so it's pretty compacted) with 5 cups of stock.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

neogeo0823 posted:

Woah, woah, woah. What? There's a cajun roast beef, now? You local goons best start spilling recipes now, because this sounds like it combines two of my favorite things to splurge on into one dish.

Closest I know is a creole style "pocket roast"
Saute trinity with
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon crushed thyme
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
Stuff slits in the meat with ttrinity/spice mix and roast or braise at 150C for a couple of hours.

On superbowl day I made prawn/shrimp gumbo. Wasn't planing to but prawns were 1/2 price at 10/kg and I already had the sausage in the freezer from way back when that was 1/2 price.

I made stock with the heads and shells. The seafood doesn't reheat well for left overs at all ( I know this because I have the same problem every time I do a fish/seafood meal), but it was good on the day and the price was right anyway. But I definitely prefer non seafood gumbo myself as well.

E: Nothing was wrong with the prawns even the next day, it was just the prawn stock got very concentrated and thick. I might do prawns again one day but either use chicken stock, or only half the heads/shells/tails from the 700g prawns

Also I tried the Alton Brown roux method. Rather than do it on the stove and risk burning, I threw it in the oven @150C for 1.5 hrs. Anyone else tried that? It didn't come out as dark red brick as I do on the stove in that time, but saved having to wear PPE gear on a hot day in order to avoid roux burns on the stove - I have had some real nasty ones before so I usually don gloves, long sleeves and pants and full covered shoes.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 15, 2017

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Ahhhh, okay. So about the color of hot chocolate.

Thanks, that gives me a better idea.

I always go for red brick colour before adding the trinity, normally goes to milk choc colour soon after.

Also before you mentioned burns. Yeah I got burns on my hands from splashing the first time too. Always wear closed shoes, long pants and long sleeves and a glove on your stirring hand. Try the oven method though, It's been mentioned before by others, and even I tried it a few pages back (150C/300F for 1.5 hrs). No burns, no stirring. It doesn't come out as dark, but some prefer a lighter done roux anyway - it's certainly better than a burnt one.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 8, 2017

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Sastified with the result.

dat is the stuff.
I've made a couple of gumbos and jambalaya over our winter, but it's spring now (still cold and rainy). gimme you best ideas and I'll cook it once more until I've got to hang my pot and brew, still, tools and everything else I own up and chuck my furniture in the trash.
One more, big time cajun/southern, creole out with a bang. What should I make? Doing Jamaican jerk chicken tomorrow but after that the calendar is empty for 3 weeks, but not sure if eating much after next week, more like selling or tossing stuff

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 21, 2017

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Phil Moscowitz posted:

The recipe actually calls for two sticks...

Did you see a later recipe where he used apple juice?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Hauki posted:

I couldn’t care less for mayo-based potato salad in general, but it works great here for what you described. I only tried it like that maybe a month ago for the first time.

Hmm, I wonder...
Haven't used mayo in salads for a long time (it's not that I don't like it, I use it or aoli in sandwiches all the time), but I switched to doing a vinaigrette style slaw or a greek yogurt based salad dressing ages ago. I wonder if it would work with a greek yogurt based salad.
I probably won;t ry as CBF buying potatoes when cooking for just myself and I have heaps of rice that takes ages to get through anyway.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
The weather down here is good for it but not much fun cooking only for yourself, so no gumbo or jambalaya for me. Last night I did a stew with smoked sausage, the trinity, thyme, chilli, smoked paprika, beans and rice though. I didn't make it a proper gumbo or jambalaya as I had to cook each bit in lots (too busy entertaining my kid who has an attention span of 0 and needs something every 5min), so I got chopping for a mise en place while cooking his meal at 5pm and set it aside. Then got some stuff in a pot an hour later for a saute for 20min , then got it all together for a simmer after he went to bed at 7.30pm.
Getting a kid to like creole food or not be so fussy* and demanding tips appreciated.

*E: I could get my kid to eat Indian food and Italian stews or risottos when he was 3, but after that he got picky

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jun 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
It's a "depth of flavour" umami thing. I don't use extras* in a gumbo I take a little dark and is loaded with ingredients. But for something cooked lighter and quicker and with less meat/salt then it's hello *tomato paste, fish sauce, worcestershire sauce, mushrooms, anchovies, vegemite, bacon, olives orall those other well known umami additives.
Obviously pick only 1-2 and then some more spice and a herb, veg or something.
Or go with MSG Or don't IMO. I had a powdered soup the other day which was loaded with MSG. I couldn't taste anything for an hour or two