Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Any new joints around New Orleans that are really worth checking out? Going to be there the 3rd-10th, primarily to try to get fat. TIA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Define “new” and what you are looking for price wise

Price is solidly "I don't care." In terms of new I just mean not the classics/didn't come up in the previous recommendation lists upthread; things that could be good but not super well publicized.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

Phil Moscowitz posted:

My recommendations of newer places, probably in this order:

Carrollton Market (definitely top)
The previously recommended BAB
DTB
Compère Lapin
Luvi (asian fusion)
Gabrielle
N7
Saba (israeli but overpriced IMO)
Poydras & Peters
Copper Vine

You're awesome, thanks!

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

Phil Moscowitz posted:

How was your trip dude

Awesome! Way too fun of a town. Our hotel was right over between Peche and the Cochons, so those all happened. All the places I can remember us enjoying:

Peche: Went twice, enjoyed their oysters more than anywhere else. The seafood gumbo was very good. Really I could go there and just have oysters and drinks forever.
Saba: Super good, took a picture with Alon because why not. The lutenitsa was a highlight, the blue crab hummus was super good, and the pita was incredible. Definitely ate too much pita. Really enjoyed the baba ganoush and labneh too. The chef recommended us a seafood restaurant in Seattle that I frequent, and a southern joint I'd not checked out yet.
Casamento's: My brother recommended we check this out, ten minutes into our meal Guy Fieri popped in to film a segment for Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives. Girlfriend had to sign a waiver because she was in the shot the whole time. Huge oysters, pretty good. I enjoyed the fried soft-shells too.
Cochon: Tender, sweet chili-sauced alligator & char grilled oysters were the highlights. Ran into Guy Fieri here as well.
Bakery Bar: The rainbow almond doberge was ridiculously good. The blueberry maple bacon was okay.
Cochon Butcher: We both loved Le Pig Mac, great fun take on fast food. I had a really good muffaletta here too later in the week.
Cajun Seafood: Killed a couple pounds each of shrimp and frozen crawfish. Both were incredible, the corn and potatoes were very good too. Regretted not coming back here for another meal, honestly.
Luke: Oyster happy hour was a good deal, though pretty average in terms of quality compared to the other places we went. The fried, honey & jalop quail was real drat good though.

Really wanted to make it to Compere Lapin but just didn't, girlfriend was less interested in that one than I >< Had some pretty mediocre 'fusion dim sum' for brunch the first day in town, at Maypop. Felix's had some pretty good turtle soup and some pretty mediocre oysters. Rebirth Brass Band puts on a pretty drat good live show. Definitely need to make it back for another visit sometime soon, preferably during crawfish season.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

eke out posted:

Good to hear you enjoyed it!

I remember finding out that that dish literally used equal parts sriracha and butter as the sauce lol

not surprised about Maypop, unfortunately. I only ate at that dude's first restaurant, MoPho, twice because each time I had such miserable lukewarm food - and it was crazy hyped at the time.

Hahaha makes sense, I like both those things! The texture on it is also just dead-on. Tender, some bite, nice bit of fry. I want more right now =(