Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Hey guys, I thought I'd share this Creole Chicken and Rice thing I made that is super easy turned out crazy good. I adapted it from something called "Puerto Rican Chicken and Rice" that was also really good and I have no idea if it's authentic or whatever but who cares.

2-3 lb bone-in skin-on chicken parts (thighs are best)
all-purpose seasoning
2 t. cajun or creole seasoning (it's important to use a good one or make your own, it should be mostly red)
1 big yellow onion, diced
5 stalks celery, diced
1 big green pepper, diced
5 big cloves garlic, minced
8 oz jowl bacon, diced (regular bacon would be good too)
1 c. basmati rice
2 c. chicken stock
14.5 oz can red beans, drained
2 bay leaves
3-4 sprigs fresh thyme
1 t. Worcestershire
1 t. Asian fish sauce
Louisiana style hot sauce
cocktail bitters (I used Peychauds)
neutral oil, salt, fresh cracked pepper
parsley and/or scallions

Edit: It should be noted that I measured nothing and these amounts are my best guess, so if you make this I wouldn't worry too much about getting it exactly right.

Season the chicken with the all-purpose seasoning and brown it in oil over med-high heat, skin side first, then the other side. Set aside.

Add the bacon and cook until the fat renders and it's somewhat crispy. Reduce heat to medium and add the onion, celery, and bell pepper, and cook until soft, scraping up the brown bits in the pan. Add the garlic and cook for a few minutes, then the cajun seasoning and cook for a minute.

Return the chicken and any accumulated juiced to the pan and add the rice, beans, chicken stock, bay leaves, thyme, Worcestershire, fish sauce, a few splashes hot sauce to taste, a few splashes bitters, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil then turn down to low and cook covered 15 minutes, without stirring, then uncovered 25 more, or until all the liquid has been absorbed, again without stirring.

Garnish with the parsley and/or scallions and serve with hot sauce and a cold, crisp lager.

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I. M. Gei posted:

Are there any particularly good places to find whole shrimps with heads included for making stock, or do I need the heads at all? I don’t think any grocery stores in my area sell shrimp with the heads still on.

EDIT: Yes I am going to actually peel them this time, because I know you assholes are going to bring that up.

Check the freezer section of any Asian grocery stores in the area.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

You guys are being weird. I live in a small-medium city in Ohio and have no problem finding frozen and fresh okra, file, jars of roux all of that stuff in the local grocery stores. They even have a little "southern/cajun" section.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I believe Alton Brown uses it as a shortcut in one of his gumbo recipes, or possibly Cook's Illustrated. I've done it, it works fine, and if it makes the purists bristle even better.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

The best gumbo I ever made, I divided the trinity into roughly three portions and cooked the first third in neutral oil with the fond until it was very brown and practically liquefied, then the second third on top of that until it was just nicely softened, then the last third I added with the stock and the rest of the ingredients and let it simmer. This makes three levels of flavor and texture and color. I picked up this technique from some old Paul Prudhomme video where he was making jambalaya that was no doubt posted in this very thread.

I cooked the roux separately and can't remember at what stage I added it. I did some other stuff too, but I suspect my method of cooking the trinity was the most crucial component.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Looks great, I'm glad my three stages tip worked out for you. I was blathering on about this at the bottle shop the other day when a friend mentioned he made gumbo but when he got to the part where he added potatoes I realized I was probably wasting my breath.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Yes, although I don't think the flavor would be any different than a regular old roasted turkey carcass. You should also use the leftover meat in the gumbo itself.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Brown some dark meat chicken, normally I would use boneless skinless thighs but I had this stuff already.

Next goes the sausage

Remove the meat and add a third of your trinity and start your roux separately

When it looks like this add your next third, and a few minutes after that your garlic

Add a little flour to the main pot to soak up the grease, and then add the meat back in and a couple quarts of homemade chicken stock and seasonings. I used hot sauce, Worcestershire, bay leaves, soy sauce, fish sauce, paprika, thyme, file, black pepper, Peychauds bitters, and some Kashmiri chili powder just for fun.

By now your roux should look like this so add that into and let it simmer for at least an hour. Pull the chicken out and shred or chop it up it and add it back in. About 15 minutes before serving add in the last 3rd of your Trinity and adjust salt and liquid levels.

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 19, 2023

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Cool, thanks. I did a small edit where I mentioned when to put the meat back in the pot.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

neogeo0823 posted:

Quick question on this post. Those various spices, do you happen to have any measurements for them? Even approximate ones would be great. Normally, I do a basic gumbo, but I'm getting things together for lunches for work, and I'm feeling fancy and wanting to try something a bit different, and this sounds pretty excellent at a glance.

Everyone before me was pretty on point but if you're dead set on using measurements I would estimate I used:

Worcestershire 1.5 T
Fish sauce 1 T
Soy sauce 1 T
Black pepper (fresh cracked) 1 t
Hot sauce .5 T
Peychauds 12 shakes
Dried thyme 1 t
Bay leaves 2
Paprika 1.5 T
Kashmiri chili .75 t
Filé 1 t

Good luck and god bless