Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Any time I run docker and jetbrains simultaneously everything is fine and great until I hit that save button and jetbrains starts indexing and then it's a whirring noise that steadily gains in volume and power until it drowns out all other sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Vincent Valentine posted:

Any time I run docker and jetbrains simultaneously everything is fine and great until I hit that save button and jetbrains starts indexing and then it's a whirring noise that steadily gains in volume and power until it drowns out all other sound.

FWIW, I use docker containers with jetbrains almost 100% of the time I'm developing and have no problems with this. I'm on Windows.

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.
What's the fast, cheap way to make do email confirmations for the sake of password reset requests in 2019? The rest of my app is hosted on a DO droplet.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Probably sendgrid

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.

The Fool posted:

Probably sendgrid

Yeesh, 100/day for free. This looks great, thanks.

Pattern here is:

- user forgets a password
- user clicks a 'I forgot' link
- user enters the associated email or their username
- program sends an email to that email address with a temporary (~1h?) obfuscated link
- user visits that link, which allows a new password to be set for that account

missing anything?

Newf fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 28, 2020

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Newf posted:

Pattern here is:

- program sends an email to that email address with a temporary (~1h?) obfuscated link

missing anything?

An hour is probably 4x too long and you have to expire the link as soon as it's used

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Rate limit emails to x number of attempts per time window.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Stupid question. I've seen a lot of talk about the benefits of dynamic loading, but the examples used are almost always route-based. Is this just because this is the most obvious initial implementation or are there costs that I'm not seeing to going more granular?

For example, I've got five weighty components that may or may not be present on the page at initial load. If I add a loading fallback and handle the error scenario in which they fail to load for any reason, is there anything else I should consider when deciding to make them dynamic imports?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I just learned that JWT is pronounced "jot" and my mind is blown. All this time I've just been saying J.W.T.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

I just learned that JWT is pronounced "jot" and my mind is blown. All this time I've just been saying J.W.T.

I always thought it was an initialism and not an acronym. But yes, reading RFC 7519 there is indeed the sentence: " The suggested pronunciation of JWT is the same as the English word "jot"." Never knew that.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Thermopyle posted:

Volguus posted:

I always thought it was an initialism and not an acronym. But yes, reading RFC 7519 there is indeed the sentence: " The suggested pronunciation of JWT is the same as the English word "jot"." Never knew that.

If it makes y'all feel any better, I have known it was pronounced 'jot' for a while now, but despite me saying it repeatedly at work, no one else seems to have picked up on it.

I am still hoping pronouncing SQL as 'squeal' will catch on, but only because it's hilarious:

Squeal Server
MySqueal
PostgreSqueal

:v:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

HaB posted:

If it makes y'all feel any better, I have known it was pronounced 'jot' for a while now, but despite me saying it repeatedly at work, no one else seems to have picked up on it.

I am still hoping pronouncing SQL as 'squeal' will catch on, but only because it's hilarious:

Squeal Server
MySqueal
PostgreSqueal

:v:

i've been saying it sequel for years because of a british friend who said it that way many many years ago.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

I knew it was called jot, but called it jwt because everyone else did and didn't know if they knew it was pronounced jot. Turns out that what everyone thought. My entire team knew it was jot, but everyone thought nobody else knew, so everyone just said jwt.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

"jot" but with a soft "j"

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
i say j.w.t and s.q.l and gif with a soft g and those are all the objectively correct things to do.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Github. Jith yoob.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Inacio posted:

i've been saying it sequel for years because of a british friend who said it that way many many years ago.

Most of the devs I know here (US) pronounce it "sequel" as well. I can recall taking SQL Server training years ago, and MS pronounced it that way as well.

"ess queue ell" people sound strange to me.

It's why I offer "squeal" as a compromise - plus it's way funnier.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I refuse to say "my sequel" because I'm one of a kind baby

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

MySQL docs have a section on pronunciation, explicitly My-S-Q-L.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

quote:

Sometimes pronounced ‘squirrel’.

i know what my gimmick pronunciation is going to be.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Everyone at work says “jot token” which is frustrating. But to be fair, easier to understand when spoken.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

json jot token

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009
joken

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Newf posted:

Pattern here is:

missing anything?

What is an "obfuscated link"? If you mean you're putting some random token in the URL, you should also persist that token in the DB against a password reset request record. Then ask the resetter to also enter their email. It seems minor but it will make brute forcing your random token pretty infeasible if you also have to supply the matching email address.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Had a coworker who pronounced www "dubdubdub", which I and my other coworkers never heard before and, coming from any other source, might have enthusiastically adopted for the sake of brevity. Problem was, the guy was a giant rear end and got fired for being such (well, plus being an outright bad front-end dev) and permanently set me against it.

Also pronounced URL "Ural", which was mildly off-putting and my brain always first processed as the mountain range.

Gods, that guy. Only one I know who, on being gently told in an early performance review that he needed improvement, but that the team was there for him along the way, angrily doubled- and tripled-down saying he had years of experience and knew exactly what he was doing.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I was in a vendor demo meeting one day with a sales engineer who kept saying "Earl" and it took us about 10 minutes to figure out he meant "URL" (there wasn't a lot of context to what we were talking about) and since then "Duke of URL" has been one of my slack titles.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Pronouncing it like that doesn't seem terribly uncommon.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
These ones raised some eyebrows when we started collaborating with overseas workers:

data: "day-tuh" or "dah-tuh"
cache: "kayshh" or "cash"
route: "row (as in cow)t" or "root"
etc (as in /etc): "eat-see" or "et-set-er-a" or "eck-set-ra"

Jadeilyn
Nov 21, 2004

Cugel the Clever posted:

Had a coworker who pronounced www "dubdubdub", which I and my other coworkers never heard before and, coming from any other source, might have enthusiastically adopted for the sake of brevity. Problem was, the guy was a giant rear end and got fired for being such (well, plus being an outright bad front-end dev) and permanently set me against it.

Also pronounced URL "Ural", which was mildly off-putting and my brain always first processed as the mountain range.

Gods, that guy. Only one I know who, on being gently told in an early performance review that he needed improvement, but that the team was there for him along the way, angrily doubled- and tripled-down saying he had years of experience and knew exactly what he was doing.

The comedian Greg Proops pointed out that we should all just say "world wide web" because it's fast and the most accurate.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

URL Hines would be a cool electronica name.

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

I'm a backend dev who has not had at lot of opportunities to work with experienced frontend devs to see how it's really done. I'm developing a CRUD app on my own time. But I've been procrastinating the actual work of coding the frontend because if I jump straight into writing React, I know I will waste a ton of time writing GUI components that I will throw away. I could narrate the workflow I want for users. Next I want to see a wireframe, but I don't know an efficient way to get there.

Do skilled frontend devs (especially when working without a dedicated UX expert) use more graphics-oriented tools (Invision? Adobe XD? Pencil and paper?) in early planning and prototyping phases? I feel so hindered at work by inability to communicate my ideas that I am willing to invest personal time in learning those tools, if that's what it takes. Or is it more practical to write what I would call a "wireframe in React"?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I think I used this last time I had to wireframe something https://wireframe.cc/

Pencil and paper works too

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

I really strongly suggest against the "wireframe in react" approach, but that's all I got. Every time I try that, it just gets out of hand with bad ideas. Even when I just use colored pencils and paper, and stick to the plan, it always ends up much better. But wireframing turns out to be the thing I underestimate every single time.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Yeah I have to admit I'm not usually the one doing the wire framing these days.

In the past, I've used Figma, Adobe XD, and pen and paper for wire framing. If I had to do it today, I'd consider using Excalidraw. I would never wireframe via code.

I think the thing to keep in mind if you want to invest in communicating ideas/creating an effective UI, you're veering outside of the traditional technical skills area. It's less about learning tooling than it is about learning, like, human psychology. I imagine a book on UX would be more helpful than developing strong Invision skills.

Good luck!

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

Vincent Valentine posted:

I really strongly suggest against the "wireframe in react" approach
I believe you. I once spent a work-week trying to do this and was unhappy with the result. I knew I should focus on the big picture but still ended up spending too much time on details like margins and borders. I wasn't sure if this was something I could get better at with practice.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

figma is good for design type stuff. if you want to try prototyping components in react storybook (https://storybook.js.org/) is actually really good tho.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

I hail from design and then moved to frontend dev so my methods are heavily informed by my design education (during which we basically didn’t touch computers for the first year).

Pencil and paper works great for early stages of conceptualizing and prototyping. It’s extremely low technical effort and you can generate a range of concepts and workflows quickly without getting tripped up with overhead you’d find in fancy mock-up/prototyping programs. I’d add that graph paper is very helpful, as is cutting elements out with scissors and shuffling them around.

Actual programs I use include draw.io for stuff like site maps and workflow diagrams and Balsamiq for iterative prototyping once concepts are nailed down in the pencil and paper stage. These are still low fidelity and mostly concern content, basic layout, and workflow storyboarding, basically. Also makes it super easy to share/present designs.

In my experience, making polished prototypes in early stages of design has always proved to be a colossal waste of time because you end up sinking a ton of effort into superficial details prematurely and technical overhead of dealing with programs needed to produce the polished prototypes (I found making pixel-perfect prototypes in the likes of Photoshop loving excruciating - never again).

And in the initial construction of components, I’ll write up a super barebones style sheet to get positioning and proportions right, and then deal with all the surface-level aesthetic stuff like padding and colors and typography dead last.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I am working with a designer now who is basically fresh out of college and just drat his designs are painful.

I have listed up the color choices that we actully implemented and there are 5 different whites, 3 light greys and 3 dark greys. Those are just the ones the previous dev bothered to put in. In his zeplin designs there are twice as many slight variants to those that went ignored.

He also made a product list page that was sortable and filterable with 0 details other than the image product name and brand name. Goddamn. Also likes to make the filter options all jumbled up into as many items can visibly fit on a row not a set number or columns for ease of scanning over.

Wtf is with the aversion to any colors at all?

I am trying to give very polite suggestions on changes and links to articles about design and user experience etc but it is becoming harder and harder to not just blurt out 'Your color pallete sucks poo poo dude please add more color. This is less expressive than an excel sheet.'

Gildiss fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 10, 2020

Balsa
May 10, 2020

Turbo Nerd
Its the "new" design standard, people are afraid of colors now I guess. Its all about "Material" and "Flat" -- I hate it. I want my colorful internet back! Give me Geocities any day. at least it was readable most of the time, and buttons made sense!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Lots of greys is pretty common. I used to give my designer poo poo and call him "50 Shades of Grey." The product I work on now has 10 total from almost-black to #fff.

Ask your designer to put a style guide and colour palette together for you. Once you get that he'll probably want to use colours from there because it's less work than finding a new one.