Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
So of the big three, I thought only Backbone had support for old browsers, but it seems that Angular can work on IE7. However the docs says that google only officially tests against IE8. Backbone still supports IE6 but Ember only goes down to IE8.

Baby Nanny posted:

If you're using backbone be sure to check out http://marionettejs.com/ which adds some neato stuff on top of it.

At my work we have to support IE7 so we went with Backbone + Marionette and it was pretty awesome. However, getting a view to sort a collection was a pretty big headache. I have a feeling that is super easy in the other frameworks but in Backbone you gotta do it yourself.

quote:

Because of Backbone's simplicity, many libraries and boilerplate templates have sprouted up around it.

Yeah this is a major strength of Backbone. Having a simple core library that others build on means you are not serving a huge framework with features you might not be using to every client, but can focus and customize to what you need. However, it does mean that you have to pay attention to the libraries you are building on and make sure they are compatible with each other and keep up to date on new releases. We've got Backbone, Marionette, and CollectionSubset to keep track of at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace

hedgecore posted:

RequireJS is a must. Anyone know of a guide to RequireJS that's a little less... dry(?) than the official documentation? I have trouble getting others started on it because of the incredibly flat tone.

Someone needs to do a newbie-friendly write up of RequireJS because I don't really understand it but it gets a lot of buzz. If I use RequireJS, I know I get to define what a script depends on and have a way to describe it in my code, so that has value. But I don't get how it brings in those depends. Does it compile everything into a big .js file with all my stuff? Or does it generate <script> tags to bring them in at run time? Right now we just have grunt concat and min all our stuff, but deciding the order that everything should be concat-ed was a headache.

DreadCthulhu posted:

The claim is that Backbone pretty much calls for a complete integration across the entire website. Is there any truth to this?

On the app that we used backbone.js for, we did not have to do 'backbone specific' back-end work. We just ignored backbone.sync and wrote our own ajax handlers for getting data from the server. So we don't call model.sync() or model.fetch(), but the rest of the backbone system works fine.

Now, our app might be unique in that it is just an interactive display of data. It does not upload new data to the server or otherwise change the state of object on the server. But even if it did, I don't think it would have been difficult to write our own sync handlers to send data in the format that our sever was expecting.

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace

DreadCthulhu posted:

Anyone here got experience with Marionette? I'm liking the idea of perhaps swapping the regular Backbone views with the "managed" ones to avoid some of the typical boilerplate, and the region swapping logic seems pretty reasonable too (even though layoutManager is supposed to be doing the same). I like the idea that you can pick and choose which pieces of it you want instead of buying into the entire ecosystem of classes, which seems to go a bit over the top with all the different options.

I used Marionette on a project and it was pretty great, I recommend it. We picked it for its great support of IE7 in addition to what you listed. We ran into some headaches keeping sorted collections in sync with the CollectionViews, but otherwise it's solid to work with. Works well with other things in the backbone ecosystem too.

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
Anyone have experience supporting multiple languages in their single page app? I'm looking at L20N from mozilla but I get the feeling it is new and has not seen wide deployment. What other options are out there? I am looking for something that can make it possible to deal with plural/gender rules of strange languages. I am a dumb american who has gotten by with English so far :911: