Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

CuwiKhons posted:

we were making thread title jokes about Cory's death the same week he passed away

Mostly me over AIM, at least as far as quantity.

Also I generally like the show more than I make it seem when I post in here. I just like lame "this is an addiction" jokes better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I like the music 9 times out of 10, I tend to like the characters more than y'all (with the exceptions of everyone's favorite characters, who I don't like as much), and the Lima storyline are not as bad as y'all tend to say. I will concede that the overall writing and NY storyline are genuinely awful though. To me it's just a way to get to the next song.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
So Glee is recreating Beatles album covers. Here's one.

Oh no sam :ohdear:

Though it's not my favorite parody of Abbey Road. This is.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

jscolon2.0 posted:

I think the storylines are generally bad, but I care about the talented performers enough to watch in the hope they get better material to work with.

Glee post or Monday Night Raw post?

That's the best part, it's both!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
But if you do that, then you'll have to watch Santana bark like a dog for Will. You take the good with the bad.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
At the Ballet is worse than Kiki for two reasons:
1) Kiki was mercifully short, at 2:33. At the Ballet took 5:46
2) At the Ballet took time away from the continuing adventures of Blonde Chameleon and Nightbird.
:colbert:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
So I liked the episode overall. Actually, I liked what I saw a lot (skipped the NY scenes, as per my normal solowatch traditions at this point).

In the meantime, I meant to post this a while ago, but here you all go:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0LOADC03Cw
Anyone brave enough to watch it?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Don't blame you. I've known this existed basically since it was posted and am just watching it for the first time right now.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Rarity posted:

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun is the worst song Glee ever did :colbert:

Then how did it lose the worsties to More than a Woman? :smug:

Also, after listening to this, I can confirm his best song is I've Gotta Be Me.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Miniature Moose posted:

Also, Mike dumped her because she's not Asian enough? I thought it was because of distance? Then again, Glee doesn't do continuity well. Or at all.

It was Blaine and Sam who said that. Not necessarily true.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
By the end of Season 3, the cast had basically given up on the whole "Rachel should not be getting married" thing and by the time Blaine came around, Burt was just annoyed at how persistent these kids were.

Also, Blaine didn't just mean the one thing, which did seem more aimed at breaking up Artie and Kitty than at actually helping them, but the past season. She didn't nigh-unanimously earn "Most Ruined Character of Season 4" for nothing.

Also, yes, deliberately cheesy to distract from the looming monster that is episode 3.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I was about to call
"...oh right, the habitual lying." line of the episode, but then Sam started talking.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I'm reminded now why I don't actually watch this show live anymore. I've spent more of the episode on mute from these New York scenes than I have unmuted.

The scenes could be good for all I care but I am so utterly done with the New York plots that I do not care.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I love the goofy technicolor outfits they have there.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Well then.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Well that was a sufficiently sad promo.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

:thejoke:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

cathalc posted:

I hope they end the episode with Seasons of Love, which is beautiful and uplifting, instead of that song, which is even more beautiful but also rips my heart into a billion pieces. If they just finish that song and cut to black it's gonna take me about 2 hours to pick myself off the couch afterwards.

I actually hope they start the episode with that song--the full song--ending with measure your life in loooooove and cut to the title card.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Had to DVR it because school this year.
I almost made it through Seasons of Love before I started crying.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
That was sad. I'd say more but I usually express depression in lame jokes, and I'd punch myself for half the things I thought in the episode.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
So I've been debating this over the summer, and I finally decided. I'm going to run a best song competition through the next hiatus. Nominations will last until the Thursday after the winter hiatus begins, with the tournament likely beginning the Sunday after.

Three rules for nominations:
1) Please wait until a week after First Listen Monday in order to give you time to properly appreciate the song, process how much the performance affects the song, and get rid of both positive and negative initial feelings. Any nomination submitted before this grace period shall be ignored. (The songs from The Quarterback will not be eligible until 10/14 at midnight, Eastern time.)
2) Please submit your nominations (no formal limit, but please do not just nominate every song your favorite singer sang... unless it's Tina; that's not too many) to GleeBestiesSA@gmail.com, with the subject "Glee Besties," so that my gmail filter will forward it to my main email.
3) Please submit the songs in this format:
Song Title - Season #, Episode #, "Title" - Singer(s) (Character name or appropriate nickname, please. Sebastian Smug is fine, G-Gus Dark Lord of Dalton would be rejected). Bold and italics optional. Please include your SA name in the body of the email so that I may know who nominated what. I will likely place a name next to the person who nominated it.

The tournament will be double elimination, with per-selected filler songs serving to balance the brackets.

Nominations open at Midnight Eastern time on 10/11 (so in like 2 minutes). Get nominating.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
So I wanted to remind you all that

Senerio posted:

I'm going to run a best song competition through the next hiatus. Nominations will last until the Thursday after the winter hiatus begins (the one in december), with the tournament likely beginning the Sunday after.

1) Please wait until a week after First Listen Monday in order to give you time to properly appreciate the song, process how much the performance affects the song, and get rid of both positive and negative initial feelings. Any nomination submitted before this grace period shall be ignored. (As of this repost, all songs currently out are eligible)

2) Please submit your nominations (no formal limit, but please do not just nominate every song your favorite singer sang... unless it's Tina; that's not too many) to GleeBestiesSA@gmail.com, with the subject "Glee Besties," so that my gmail filter will forward it to my main email.

Song Title - Season #, Episode #, "Title" - Singer(s) (Character name or appropriate nickname, please. Sebastian Smug is fine, G-Gus Dark Lord of Dalton would be rejected). Bold and italics optional. Please include your SA name in the body of the email so that I may know who nominated what. I will likely place a name next to the person who nominated it.

The tournament will be double elimination, with pre-selected filler songs serving to balance the brackets.

At the moment I have a grand total of 1 Nomination.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

MikeJF posted:

Which songs were these? I've been out of Glee a while.

Only one off the top of my head was the Acoustic version of Teenage Dream from the breakup (4x04). He recorded it acoustic for the album and sang it live, which wasn't exactly the best idea.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

BrianWilly posted:

Man, it's easy to pick out songs I hate but hard to narrow down the ones I really like.

You mind if we simply plop down nominations here if we don't mind it being seen, or is it legit easier for you if it's e-mail?

I'd rather get it via email (or PM) but I guess it'd be easier for y'all to nominate stuff in here. Mostly want it over email to prevent cluttering.
No real objections, over this hiatus, if there's nominations in the thread, but once we get back to First Listen Mondays I'd rather just have them over email.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Oh yeah by the way because only three people nominated anything, I looked through the entire glee catalog and put up my own nominations.

What I'm saying is that unless y'all trust me to be a good metric for your taste of music, PM/e-mail me your nominations so I can add them to the list.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
So I've been debating this over the summer, and I finally decided. I'm going to run a best song competition through the next hiatus. Nominations will last until the Thursday after the winter hiatus begins, with the tournament likely beginning the Sunday after.

1) Please wait until a week after First Listen Monday in order to give you time to properly appreciate the song, process how much the performance affects the song, and get rid of both positive and negative initial feelings. Any nomination submitted before this grace period shall be ignored. (The songs from The Quarterback will not be eligible until 10/14 at midnight, Eastern time.)
I am now accepting votes via PM/any other way you can hit me outside the thread PM me on SynIRC

The tournament will be double elimination, with pre-selected filler songs serving to balance the brackets.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
There are currently about 140 songs on there. I think Cuwi beat your nomination total, though I'd have to count.

Also odds are you'll have nominated stuff that either Rarity, Cuwi, or myself have put on, with the three of us having nominated a majority of the songs.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I cannot believe I forgot that. I am literally hitting myself on the head while typing this with one hand.

All in all, you added about 38 songs to the list if my count is right.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I'm lazy. Need season and episode numbers.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Is it Avenue Q? please say it's Avenue Q

Looking at other spoilers there's apparently no Avenue Q :(

Senerio fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 30, 2013

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
It's all kosher unless there's a download link.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Songs are out!
Roar, by Katy Perry, sung by New Directions, Rachel Berry, Dani, Santana Lopez, and Elliott "Starchild" Gilbert
Wide Awake, by Katy Perry, sung by Tina Cohen-Chang, Wade "Unique" Adams,Jake Puckerman, and Kitty Wilde
Applause, by Lady Gaga, sung by Sam Evans, Marley Rose, Artie Abrams, Ryder Lynn, and Blaine Anderson
Marry The Night, by Lady Gaga, sung by Elliot "Starchild" Gilbert. (Released a while ago and I'm too lazy to care at the moment so here's a youtube link. Sorry phone users)

I like exactly one song by Lady Gaga, and none by Katy Perry, and it was already covered, so I don't care about any of these. Someone else talk about them.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
As a reminder, the songs cannot be nominated if you like them until next First Listen Monday(/Tuesday? I dunno) to give you time to digest them and get rid of the gut feelings of revulsion and adoration and get to see how the performance enhances or detracts from the song.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I found the Lima cast to be much less insufferable than the NY cast. Hell, Finn in Lima and Finn in NY were basically two different people: One was deserving of the title of The Almighty Treble Clef, uniter of glee clubs, while the other a was creepy possessive douchebag.

Nowadays I don't even watch the NY plots anymore. I do plan on giving Starchild a chance to wow me, but with that name...

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Songs are out! (This post also marks the point at which the songs from last week are eligible for the besties.)

You Are Woman, I am Man from Funny Girl by Rachel and Pablo San Pablo (Her Co-Star)
That rape song, sung by Bree, Jake, Kitty, Will, and loving Artie Artie, I am disappointed.
On Our Way, by The Royal Concept, sung by the New Directions
Wrecking Ball, by Miley Cyrus sung by Marley Rose
If I Were a Boy, by Beyonce, sung by Unique

These songs will be eligible starting on the music post for next week's episode.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Whatever it was I don't care I'm staying behind until Cuwi starts watching again so I have someone to talk about the episodes with while I watch them.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Actually, it's a Starchild song.

(Yes, yes, I know, :thejoke:, but I just wanted to point out who was singing it.)

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
MUSIC POST! (Sorry it's late.)
All songs this week by Billy Joel.

Movin Out, by Nightwing and Blonde Chameleon (Sadly in their civilian identity): I love this. Though, to be fair, it's Blaine and Sam. I would've liked anything they sang. That said, it's still probably my favorite song of the episode.

Piano Man by Blaine Warbler: Bryan Ryan's version was better. :colbert: (It was good)

My Life by Jake Puckerman: I liked it. Jake's a good singer.

Honesty by Artie Abrams: Middle of the road for Artie, meaning great.

An Innocent Man by Ryder Lynn: It's competent. I don't hate it, but the rest of the songs above it are better.

Just the Way You Are, by Santana, Sam, Blaine, Kurt, and Rachel: Just look at the group singing this, and you'll know what I'm about to say: It's great.

You May Be Right, by The Wretched Bass Clef, Divider of Glee Clubs and New Directions: I like Matthew Morrison's voice. I assume the context of the song is incredibly creepy, but #3 song of the episode for me.

:siren:As a reminder the besties nominations for last week's episode are now allowed.:siren: Please nominate. I don't want to have to use my backup songs to balance numbers

Senerio fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Nov 20, 2013

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Glee's back to tuesdays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
MUSIC POST! Songs from Movin' Out are now eligible for the besties.

You're my Best Friend by Queen, Sung by Blaine Warbler. Glee needs to hit a certain quota each season of Queen song. I'm not complaining.

Into The Groove by Madonna, Performed by Pamela Lansbury, Kurt's Madonna Cover Band.

Cheek to Cheek by Fred Astaire, sung by Will and Sue.

Nasty/Rhythm Nation by Janet Jackson, sung by Bree, Jake, and Marley.

What does the Fox NOPE. NOPE NOPE NOPE. You can't make me listen to this, glee.

And yes, I am still mad that they have an episode named Puppet Master, with actual puppets, with no Avenue Q.

• Locked thread