Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

SereneCrimson posted:

Hey Glee thread, I dropped this show like a sack of bricks like 3 episodes into Season 4, but I'm somewhat curious of what I've missed.

So I'll ask the only question that I care about; Is Naya Rivera/Santana still :swoon: worthy?
And is this part in the OP about Quinn sleeping with Santana true? If so, what episode?

I legit find it hard to care about this show anymore, but I can't deny I'm wondering what kind of hell I've missed out on since.

Episode...14? I think? "I Do" was the title, for Will/Emma's wedding. Literally her last action on-screen was leaning in for round two. Really, Quinn's entire storyline to end her stint on the show, for the three episodes where she appeared, was, "I'm going to gently caress Santana."

Santana spoilers for this upcoming season: she's going to be dating Demi Lovato.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Rarity posted:

I do still like Glee. I might not like the characters, I might not like the storylines, I might not like the writing, I might not like the music, I might not like...

Wait, why do I still like Glee? :smith:

Save me

You like Glee because you like Naya Rivera.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Will someone please get that boy some scissors?

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

I don't know, I think we've maintained a fun level of vitriol, rather than a constant barrage of, "gently caress you, Glee, you're so misogynistic/stupid/awful!"

Really just boils down to - love the cast, hate the show, really wish the cast collectively had a better show and showrunners who gave a poo poo about things like continuity and logic.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

(501 spoilers) Yooooou're teeeenagerrssss, stop getting engaged to each otherrrrrr. At least loving graduate first!

Seriously, though, the LET'S GET MARRIED! story was dumb when it was Finn/Rachel (and should have leaned more heavily on how they were BOTH wholly unprepared for that and obviously rushing into it just to make one small piece of their futures 'certain'), but if Blaine and Kurt get engaged and everyone's happy about it forever and ever, my eyes are just going to roll clean out of their sockets.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Glee threads are more of a sad-a-thon than a hate-a-thon. We really, really want the show to be as good as its potential, and are really, really sad when it frequently isn't.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Bree is a new bitchy cheerio, apparently billed as Santana 2.0 as much as Kitty was Quinn 2.0.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

...! posted:

The first three episodes were filmed before Cory died.

What a weird thing to say, considering the third episode is a tribute to him, and they specifically had to revamp the scripts to the first two as well and push back the season premiere a week as a result...

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Manos del Sino posted:

Ugh. Kids getting married/engaged in High School is the dumbest loving thing, but it does happen. Hopefully the future episodes show the dark side of the decision.

The combination of both this being Glee, the show only running for another season or two max, and Kurt/Blaine being the last couple standing of the prior established ones (besides Will/Emma but Jayma Mays is pretty much a guest star at this point) leads me to believe that they're just going to be in love and maybe struggle a little with settling down after Blaine graduates.

And the show will probably end with their wedding now (where I'd have bet good money before that the show would've ended with Finn and Rachel getting married).

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Rarity posted:

Oh yeah, and why is Burt suddenly supportive of teen marriage wtf :psyduck:

Remember when Kurt himself was opposed to (Rachel and Finn's) teen marriage!

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

People here still like Sue? (Aside from Qu Appelle, that is, I guess...) Anyone laughing at her comments toward Will is probably doing so more out of extreme Will hate than any sort of fondness to Sue.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

BrianWilly posted:

Well, she wouldn't very well be Rachel otherwise, would she?

Plus she's probably 19 now. Totally different!

Pretty sure she's still 18. There's some weird canon with her birthdate that would put her as turning 19 in December 2013, I think?

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Spergatory posted:

Okay, people, seriously-- regardless of age, there is a massive, massive difference between

:supaburn: Oh god oh god I don't know what I'm doing with my life please marry me

and

:wotwot: Our personalities and life goals are incredibly compatible, shall we pursue them together (and also monogamously gently caress)?

Sure, and Blaine started this proposal pursuit while they weren't actually together and Kurt was casually seeing someone else. And one of them is also still in high school and the other hasn't been graduated for even a year. Even though Finn obviously proposed and Rachel accepted because they were both terrified of their futures, both together and apart, the reasons why all their parents (and Kurt and Quinn) all thought it stupid and generally opposed it still hold true for Kurt and Blaine.

They're kids, they've never even so much as lived together before (let alone spent multiple nights together at one or the other's house, most likely), and it took all of three weeks of Kurt trying to get his life together in NYC for Blaine to cheat.

The likelihood, I'd guess, is that they'll probably hold off the actual wedding until the series finale (instead of pulling a rush job like Finn and Rachel did). But I think that proposal storyline probably plays out at least a little differently if Cory hadn't died and Finn was around to where the writers felt they could probably safely reference That Other Teen Marriage Storyline.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Tupping Liberty posted:

Touche. So, female characters they've written well fairly consistently: Santana? Becky and Britney?

Edit: I'm trying to maintain some positivity ... honest.

Santana's hosed by virtue of "I Kissed a Girl".

Brittany's either terrifyingly stupid or weirdly smart, with no in-between.

Becky brought a gun to school.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Emma's been more a prop in Will's storyline than her own character for at least a season now.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

ufarn posted:

It's been a long time since I watched a Glee episode, but are they still honouring the tradition of crying in cars - preferably while it's raining?

No one drives anywhere except Burt. That's what their teleportation devices are for!

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

It was going to be either Kitty or Unique, I'm sure, with Jake as a dark horse.

The best part is how, unless I completely missed it in the first bits of the episode, there was no explanation for why Ryder was back with the glee club when he'd ended the last season quitting because Unique catfished him.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

BrianWilly posted:

I didn't like how long the catfishing dragged on, also I hate the term "catfish" with an intensity that rivals the fires of Apollo, but how could it "literally make no sense" if it's exactly what the entire thread had deduced? It frankly made a lot of sense.

I think more people just figured it'd be Unique from the word go because that's the Glee thing to do rather than it having been logically presented such that the only person who could have possibly done it, when all was said and done, be Unique.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

How bad is Glee at maintaining a coherent timeline?

Apparently worse than I thought!?

TWOP 5x01 Recap posted:

"So, are you excited to go back to school?" Dreamboat Blaine opens. "Yeah!" [Kurt] enthusiastically replies, adding, "Fashion Week's coming up!" And here's the exact point where I stopped listening to what they were saying to each other in favor of listening to my own head explode, because the only New York Fashion Week that falls in the middle of a school year is this New York Fashion Week, which means this scene is taking place in late January, which I now realize is impossible because this episode took place on Valentine's Day and this episode covered The New York City Ballet's spring fundraising gala, and what month are we in now, huh? WHAT loving GODDAMNED MONTH IS THIS, FOR CHRIST'S SAKE?

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Spergatory posted:

Nah, we knew they were singing Seasons of Love and If I Die Young, so obviously it's not all Finn's songs.

EDIT: Personally, I'm still holding out hope for Faithfully to be the big group number they end it on.

Given that Rachel doesn't appear until the final act, supposedly, I imagine it's her song the episode ends on rather than a group number.

Seems kind of an odd choice, that song spoiler, considering all the possibilities.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Track listing for 5x03:

Seasons Of Love
Iíll Stand By You
Fire and Rain
If I Die Young
No Surrender
Make You Feel My Love

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Bree is as much Santana 2.0 as Kitty was originally Quinn 2.0.

She may or may not have her own personality by midseason.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

KilGrey posted:

Is her getting the lead part on her first audition for a big Broadway production unrealistic? Sure, but Glee isn't supposed to be realistic.

It's less about whether or not it's realistic, for me, and more that they've kind of...already given her her dream role. From purely a narrative perspective, it feels like they've skipped about 20 steps in her character growth just to throw her Fanny Brice. Like, this should be how her arc on the show ends -- she's gotten That Thing that she's always wanted -- but it's come in the middle of the story instead.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

BrianWilly posted:

My greatest wish right now is for the Adam Lambert character to end up being bisexual. I almost don't wanna throw that out to the universe 'cause Glee loves to do the opposite of whatever I speculate, but I'd love for him to show up and just school the NYC crew about their misconceptions. They handled transgender topics in the show so delicately that I can't imagine them not eventually moving onto this issue.

I'd agree but Santana's comments (which I 100% understood from Santana's perspective) are hardly the first time bisexuality's come under fire, and no one really knocked Kurt upside the head for the dumb bullshit he said two and a half seasons ago. The problem, for me, isn't that Santana (and Dani, really) said dumb things, but that no one offered up any defense of Brittany/bisexuality at any point. I mean, I don't think it really adds anything to the story to have Dani be all "you need a REAL lady-lovin' lady!" on top of all those digs at bisexuals -- unless, of course, the story is going to actually be that Dani cheats on Santana with another lady and oh no it's not just bisexuals who "stray"!

One of the few things I actually liked about Brittany as a character is that she unashamedly dated boys and girls, and it sucks that we've completely lost that perspective in her leaving the show. (I guess Quinn would count as well, maybe, but lol at the possibility we'll even ever hear her mentioned by name on Glee ever again.) It'd be aces if Adam Lambert's character is bisexual, though, however likely or unlikely that is.

quote:

Eh, I'm not sure what racist content you're referring to here unless you're talking about Sue's rants and slurs, which folks here assure me is totally hilarious and stuff. I mean, I'm sure Glee has been totes racist before, but being one of the top racist shows on TV? Again, "eh."

I've seen people slam the constant Brittany-isms in 'confusing' Unique for Mercedes as somewhat racist (in the whole "they all look the same" way).

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

BrianWilly posted:

Well, I can see that, though I'm also gonna go out on a small limb and assume these are the same folks who called Alex Newell "Kurtcedes" along with us and the entire rest of the world when he first popped up? I mean, even the character's whole shtick in her first episode was that she was a lot like Mercedes. And Brittany is the comically-dimwitted girl who didn't recognize Puck without his mohawk and forreal assumed some girl on the prom committee was Rachel because they wore similar sweaters.

I think the worst part of the Unique-Mercedes stuff is really that it got dragged out of the show and thrown onto twitter, directed at Amber. Like, I remember there being tweets from her getting fed up with people calling her Unique or constantly doing the Unique/Mercedes confusion 'joke' in her direction or something.

quote:

As for Kurt...I really still maintain that Blaine figuratively knocked him upside the head during that episode and I'm honestly not sure why a lot of folks don't think he did. For context, here is their whole conversation on the topic:
Like, Blaine directly compares Kurt to a violent homophobe, and the scene ends on Blaine legit mocking Kurt for being mad at someone possibly being bi.

Should it have been more, maybe? More specific about the exact biphobic content of Kurt's little rant just to go the whole PSA nine yards? I suppose, but I just don't think for one second Glee intended us to take Kurt's side in this argument. Like, let's be real, Glee is generally really obvious about when it's using characters as mouthpieces and this instance, with Kurt, really doesn't come across that way.

I do agree that the Santana stuff in this episode was a lot more shady -- the fact really is that no one contradicted her on her lame dig or even looked particularly troubled by it -- which is why I'm really hoping for them to address it.

I think the Kurt stuff wasn't helped by the fact that Blaine actually is gay and the episode ended with him going, "Yep, 100% gay," which maybe inadvertently provided reinforcement to Kurt's "be real, you aren't *bi*, that's dumb!" stance. Or that (I don't think? It's been a really long time since I've watched the episode) Kurt didn't ever really get an "oops, my bad" moment. I don't think the show intended for anyone to take Kurt's side, or imply that it was an acceptable point of view, but I also think they dropped the ball in writing Kurt as actually having learned anything from it. Granted, we don't see him being particularly bi-phobic after that episode but there's also never any reason for him to be one way or another since shortly after that, he and Blaine start dating anyway.

Santana's moment is particularly egregious, I agree, because no one bats back against her and Dani basically backs up her "ugh, bisexuality" shenanigans. It's not that a tv show necessarily has to flash a neon "THIS IS A DUMB THING" anytime a character says a dumb thing, but it runs the risk of having people interpret it as reinforcing negative stereotypes if it doesn't strike that balance. (And it's kind of dickish in general, bisexuality aside, to have Santana talking fictionalized smack about Brittany -- who did not stray for penis, Santana! you broke up with her several episodes prior! -- when Brittany can't defend herself and no one else seems particularly inclined to do so either.)

Both of them come from the same place, though -- "I really like(d) this person but he/she might be really interested in someone of a different gender and I feel like I can't compete with that so I'll lash out against it."

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

I'm just kind of expecting to be mostly confused at how at least three weeks have past on the show timeline, since the episode takes place three weeks after Finn's funeral or something. It's a very "What month even is it anymore? Are they graduating tomorrow?" situation!

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

SpazmasterX posted:

So are they just not going to give an in-show reason for why he's dead?

Yeah, they've specifically skipped three weeks into the future post-finding out and funeral. (Also makes the 'explanation' for any characters who aren't in the episode that they went to the funeral itself but can't take the time away to make this memorial week that Will's doing.)

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Captain Mog posted:

I haven't watched Glee since the grease episode.

That Santana moment was the best moment in the whole drat show's history. I feel so vindicated and almost want to watch the rest of the episodes I've missed.

Glee is a series of boring moments, utterly brilliant moments, and complete douchelord moments. It's a matter of how much you want to work through two of those to get to the third when it happens.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Dianna wasn't in the episode because she was promoting a movie at roughly the same time as filming would've happened.

Quinn was awful because they had no idea what to do with her after those first 13 episodes. Similarly, Tina is awful because they feel forced to give her screentime but still don't know what to do with her either. I wouldn't be surprised if she's as gone from the show as Quinn once she graduates.

I mean, there's a hundred and one rumors that will probably never be completely confirmed or denied. The only reason I'm sure any of them have caught on at all is because Ryan Murphy has come across as a spiteful dick in the past (see: his "feud" with Kings of Leon or whoever about getting music rights).

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

smg77 posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if iTunes money is the sole reason the show lasted past the second season.

It probably pays a part, though singles sales have declined as much as viewer ratings have.

Through like "Feud" from last season, I don't think they had any songs crack even 50k in first week sales (which lots of songs did in even S3). It's really hard to find concrete #s just floating around the internet but I know at least 4 of the top-selling songs for the show came from S1/S2 (mostly S2 with Teenage Dream, Forget You, and Loser Like Me). Singles at this point usually hover around 10-20k in first week sales and taper off from there. The highest first-week sales #s I could find from S4 were a few songs hitting 40k, a couple more over 30k, and then everything else under that (compared to RHI/SLY or We Are Young from S3 hitting 100-150k their first week).

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

BreakAtmo posted:

http://tvline.com/2013/10/17/glee-final-episode-rachel-finn-season-6-finale/

Season 6 is going to be the last.

What's the bet the last shot and last line was Rachel walking into his classroom and saying "I'm home"? :smith:

Almost certain. I vaguely recall some hubbub about how Murphy was going to allude in the tribute to how Finn's, and by association Rachel's, storyline would've gone through the series finale -- so basically, Finn would've taken over for Will, Rachel would've hit it big, and they'd reunite for good in the series finale.

Now I'd probably say there's even odds on the finale heavily involving Blaine/Kurt somehow. Maybe it ends on their wedding day and they reunite the entire cast, past and present (including Brittany and Quinn this time! and Matt!), for it or something.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

BreakAtmo posted:

Well yeah, it's exactly that, that was my point. Now I'm even more sure of it. Man, that sucks. :(

Yeah, I mean, odds are this was an ending they came up with this past hiatus rather than something they had in mind from the very beginning of the show, but still a bummer.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

You don't loving need to jam a Christmas episode into every season, Ryan Murphy. Your first (good) season functioned just fine without one!

This show's "timeline" gives me hives.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

smg77 posted:

I'm fairly certain that iTunes sales are the sole driving force behind every decision made about the show at this point.

I'd be curious to know how much extra profit they'd garner by expediting the graduation of Blaine/Artie/Tina/Sam (and moving them, or at least everyone but Tina and maybe Artie, to NYC), jettisoning the rest of the McKinley half of the show, and still churning out iTunes singles like normal -- in terms of money saved from not having to pay a mess of cast regulars (especially Jane Lynch/Matt Morrison) while still pulling in music money.

Like, I can't imagine they'd lose that many (if any) viewers by axing Marley/Ryder/Jake/Kitty/Unique (and Will/Sue) versus how much (money) they'd gain in a final push focusing just on NYC plus Blaine/Sam before the show ends.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Then we'd have nothing to discuss about the show on a discussion forum beyond, "Gee, that was terrible/fantastic!"?

Like, I get it -- you still enjoy Glee and don't like that people who don't still post in this thread. I don't see why this should preclude people from talking about (word choice used with caution, this thread barely gets traffic anymore as it is) what they do/don't still like about the show and what could make it better (or 'better') for the remaining duration. This is hardly the Community or Walking Dead threads with an endless stream of people stampeding in to proclaim "worst episode/show ever!" every week.

And to answer your sarcastic hypothetical in particular - I have no doubt Ryan Murphy is making exactly the show he wants to make at this juncture. This doesn't mean he isn't doing a questionable job of such, or that people can't wonder if there might be a better approach he should take that could have ensured the show's longterm solvency. And it certainly shouldn't mean there isn't an iTunes sales component driving Glee on an episode by episode basis -- after all, they're using songs that hadn't actually yet been released as singles for radio airplay in the show's current timeline. (And yes, I think we can safely say they're still supposed to be in roughly April/May 2013 on the show; season 3 had them mourning Whitney Houston on-screen two months after her actual death.)

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

BrianWilly posted:

:v: Dude, I just think it's silly that this "team NY/team Lima" topic -- which DOES in fact get annoyingly regurgitated episode after episode after episode -- has gotten to the point where we're fantasizing about how much more sales they'd make if they would just hurry up and ditch those useless moneysucking newbs. Like, if that's a thing people get to unironically say then I totes get to say that it's silly.

Believe me, I've made peace with the fact that this thread is headlined by people who hate Glee but can't stop talking about Glee. No one's stopping you. And if it can handle so many pages of "lol Glee AMIRITE" posts in response to literally every single new piece of news or spoilers or discussion we get about literally anything, it can handle me being a lil' bit of a lil' poo poo about that.

I'm not saying it because "gently caress that Lima half!" though. I'm genuinely uninterested in any of the Lima-side characters (beyond like Kitty and Unique) but I also know I'm in the vast minority in that regard in this very thread, so it seems silly for me to post such on a week-to-week basis in the face of how many people really like Blaine and Sam.

I'm saying this because, if there is only one season left after this, it doesn't make sense from a writers' perspective to continue following Lima-only characters (Marley, Jake, Ryder, etc.) when there won't really be enough time to tackle their character arcs through their own graduation; they're all sophomores, after all. Continuing to write them as characters but ending it on their junior year would feel incomplete, where treating them as secondary to Blaine/Sam/Tina/Artie and ending that half of the show on the latter's graduation feels less so. Finn's continued presence on that half would have made its continued inclusion more important to the show as a whole, and in that unfortunate hypothetical, they probably get a 7th season to wrap it all up, graduate Marley/Jake/etc., and have Rachel 'come home' to Finn.

Side to that, from a monetary standpoint and aside from like one Jake song last season, that 'secondary' cast isn't exactly generating gangbusters in iTunes sales so I don't think it's outrageous to think they'd increase their profit intake by nixing contracts on Lynch/Morrison/Benoit/Newell/Artist/Tobin/Jenner while continuing to pump out iTunes singles focused on Santana/Kurt/Rachel/Blaine/Sam/guest stars of the week.

Ryan Murphy has the benefit of knowing exactly how many episodes he has left of his show, and exactly when it will no longer be on-air. You use this to your advantage by writing an ending that makes sense. I don't think you can do that for every single character's arc on this show, and some of them already effectively have their ending -- Will's glee club is successful and he's married to Emma; what else needs to be said about him (besides maybe finally having that baby he wanted back in season 1)? I wouldn't be at all surprised if the plan was for him to exit the show after the current school term ended and have Finn take over the club full time through the remaining season(s). So you cut your losses where you can and the casualties that would make the most sense (to me) just all happen to be on the Lima half.

I also don't talk about the show because I hate it; I talk about it because I think it's interesting in the sense of how a show can fall so thoroughly off a cliff in terms of viewers/quality after 1-2 seasons, and what Murphy and crew could have done to salvage it. Like I said, we know now that S6 will be the last, and I don't think it's completely out of bounds to wonder if this is when they'll pull the trigger and focus entirely on Rachel/Kurt/Santana(/Blaine/Sam) in NYC. And not as something they "should have done all along" -- I've been an advocate here and elsewhere that they should have focused entirely on McKinley and let graduated characters ride off into the sunset if they wanted the show to have any longevity to it.

(And I don't think he's talentless, either -- American Horror Story is a pretty fun romp. I think his interest in something waxes and wanes wildly and shows where he can't just reboot every season and write a new story in a condensed 13 episodes tend to suffer in quality as a result.)

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Oasx posted:

Maybe it is just me, but most of the nominees in all the categories are kinda awful. I have not seen Big bang theory, but Glee is better than the other options in the TV Comedy category, that is saying a lot.

It helps to think of the PCA as basically the Teen Choice Awards for "grown-ups" (20- and 30-somethings who didn't fake their ages to vote in the TCA). I don't think they actually use open voting to determine the nominees like the TCA does, though.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

courtney_beth posted:

Wow -- two nods in the same categories. I wonder if they'll split votes and have someone else win.

It's amazing how much of a springboard Glee has been for Darren Criss. Just a few years ago he was known as the "guy who sang in the Harry Potter musical." That's quite an accomplishment to be nominated for the people's choice awards and host the teen choice awards.

It's really been a springboard for a lot of them. Aside from the 'adult' cast, Lea Michele's the only one I can think of who had anything particularly notable on her resume pre-Glee (with Spring Awakening). Now you have several of them doing movies (that have mostly bombed either commercially or critically or both, granted -- I think that "I Am Number Four" movie did the best of the lot) or making albums (again, mostly with little commercial success), Naya Rivera on the cover of Rolling Stone, Colfer writing books/screenplays, various awards, etc.

It's good on them, even if I'm not certain many of them will land anything in the future that's any bigger than Glee at its peak. If they're regularly getting work as a result of this show, though, it's hard to complain.

(And I wouldn't be surprised if at least a handful of the cast starts appearing on AHS once their contracts are up for Glee.)

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

cathalc posted:

Speaking of life after Glee, how is Vanessa Lengies' new sitcom doing? Is it as bad as the promos made it look?

I don't think it starts airing until winter/spring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

cyclical posted:

* Of course the problem is it would be really loving stupid to drop two of the most popular characters played by two of the most critically acclaimed actors on the show, so that was never a real option.

Yeah, I think they found themselves in a "damned if you do/don't" situation at the end of season 3. No one's really going to care (or drop the show entirely) if Mercedes/Puck/Mike/Quinn aren't frolicking around with any regularity, but I don't think they anticipated people getting real attached to Rachel/Finn/Kurt/Santana like they did. (And in all honesty, Quinn could go in either group but I think most everyone who really liked Quinn pretty much accepted that she was done with the show by halfway through season 3 anyway.) It tied their hands -- these are (or were) the stars of your show now more than Matt Morrison or Jane Lynch or anyone else remaining aside from maybe Darren Criss, and jettisoning them entirely would have basically resulted in (what would feel like) a Glee: The New Class 'spinoff' rather than just a 4th season of an established show.

Like, I wouldn't be at all surprised if their intention from the start was to have Will and Sue be the only two constants and rotate a 'teenage' cast through the seasons. As soon as it was obvious that was never really going to work out as well as they'd hoped once Rachel/Finn/Kurt/etc. were no longer in high school, though, their best bet was probably to retcon Sam and Blaine as seniors and play it more Boy Meets World-style than Degrassi-style (follow them all through college, end the show on Finn and Rachel or Kurt and Blaine getting married or something).

Hindsight and all. The show is what it is.

• Locked thread