Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Armored Core: Verdict Day is the fifteenth entry in the long-running Armored Core mecha series by FROM Software (of Demon's/Dark souls fame). It's the second game in the Armored Core V "generation." Effectively, it's an ACV expansion pack with a new singleplayer campaign, rebalanced parts, and a new multiplayer environment. It launches September 24th in North America for PS3 and 360.

Official Website

Gameplay:

Armored Core game's gameplay hasn't changed too much over the series' lifespan. You are the pilot of a giant robot, a titular Armored Core, and you take mercenary contracts with a varying range of objectives. Your foes range from tanks, helicopters, and rival ACs to massive superweapons, giant trains, and the occasional spider monster. Armored Core V scaled the series down somewhat; instead of the 15-meter tall super-fast flying NEXTs from AC4 and 4A, the cores in V and Verdict day are squat, slow, 5-meter dwarfs. With the decrease in scale comes an increase in strategy, now that you can't boost around everywhere you're a much easier target if you get caught unawares. Easy targets are dead targets too, AC's in the V generation can go down in anywhere from 1-3 hits from the larger weapons. The games are closer to Chromehounds and Mechwarrior than your typical Japanese mecha game.

Verdict Day is home to a full single-player campaign, along with a number of non-story related bonus missions. Every single mission in the game has 2-player online co-op. If you're having trouble in a mission, you can get your friend to drop in and help, with the caveat that it lowers the amount of money you get. Similarly, you can also hire random player mercenaries to help you out on missions for a price.

Between missions you get access to the garage, where you can customize your core. AC games contain literally hundreds of parts and have absolutely unparalleled amounts of customization and tweaking. Throw as much as you can on your core while balancing the weight, energy consumption, defense, offence, turning rate, etc. You can also give your core a custom paint job, create decals, and create your own emblem. Spend hundreds of hours carefully crafting a sticker of your anime waifu and put her on your shield! Or don't. Please don't.

Verdict Day retains the rock-paper-scissors style of weapon damage from ACV. Each weapon deals either Kinetic, Chemical, or Thermal damage, and every part has different defense ratings for each. In general, light cores have the best KE defense, medium have good CE, and heavy have good TE. If you're having trouble in a mission, the usual solution is to change your AC's weapons so that they hit the weak points of the enemies.

Multiplayer:

The main draw of Verdict Day is the new "Verdict War" system. Players form teams of up to 20 people and engage in 5 on 5 fights with other teams over territory. Battles start when one team decides to invade another's territory in hopes of taking it for themselves. Attackers have the easier time strategically, they can win simply by destroying several npc targets, but defenders have the home field advantage, which manifests in a better starting position and the ability to set up large amounts of friendly turrets before the fight. When the fight starts, 4 people on each team enter their cores and attempt to kill each other, and one person gets to be the "operator" for each team. The operator doesn't exist on the field and can't affect the battle directly, but they gets a top down view of the whole map with the ability to see each player's perspective as well as through stationary sensor beacons that the players in the cores can deploy. The operators help their team by setting up waypoint markers, scanning enemy cores for weaknesses, and calling in radio scans to scout enemy territory.

If you're an Armored Core V vet like me, you'll remember how absolutely hosed matchmaking was. We're talking 10+ minute wait times for games, if you even got one. FROM's said that they've "fixed" it for Verdict Day, so fingers crossed.

If you don't have friends, or no goons are online, Verdict Day introduces the ability to let the AI pilot your cores while you take the operator's chair. Like any game with friendly AI, FROM's made a lot of promises about their quality, but there's no guarantees yet. Additionally, you can hire unaffiliated player mercenaries to fill any gaps in your team, the same as in singleplayer missions.

At the start of a Verdict War "season," teams get to choose between which of the three factions they fight for. Not much info has been released on them yet, but FROMSOFT has stated that they'll be making sure no one faction gets too powerful by freezing membership of any faction that gets too big.

If the Verdict War system doesn't interest you, there will be a "free battle" matchmaking system for 1v1 duels and 8-player free-for-alls. Free battles come in ranked and unranked varieties, with a ranked leaderboard if you're a competitive type. Teams can also set up practice invasion missions, or just have a team lobby for fun.

ACVD Link:
Namco has now set up a service where you can check out your game and team stats online. Here's a quick guide, courtesy of TPSDude:

quote:

Here is a walkthrough for what Dire posted, you do not need to link you PSN/XBL account to the Bandai-Namco ID for it to work.

1.) Create a Bandai-Namco ID here https://www.bandainamcoid.com/
2.) After making the account, boot up ACVD and go into the Extra menu and select Data Authentication.
2a.) Now input your email/password you used for the Bandai-Namco account and you will get sucess screen hopefully.
3.) Now log in at the ACVS portal here http://link.armoredcoregame.com/p/acop/acvdlink/
3a.) Select your console platform, then enter your Bandai-Namco ID details

They also did a server reset for our cluster, territory Health pools look to be 1/3rd of what they were, all leader boards were reset, and we suddenly got three medals for our team being top 100.
Really disappointing our Link site isn't in the same vein as the Japanese one with the visual graphic of the world map.

Trailers:
"Seige": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z22hoOk4vo
"No Future for Mercs": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2G2f34CL1w
Environment trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-OF03YALH4

A note on the publisher:
Armored Core is a niche series. Verdict Day is a niche game. Namco does not make money from this game. In fact, I'm pretty sure the only reason they're publishing it is some sort of elaborate thank you to FROM for making Dark Souls. Armored Core V had absolutely horrible support. Servers were down at launch, the game didn't contain some bosses, and every patch came several months after Japan got it. Keep this in mind before you buy Verdict Day.

Reviews:
Eurogamer: 8/10

quote:

As it stands, however, Verdict Day is more than just a marked improvement over Armored Core 5. It offers more parts, more maps and new missions while expanding the already tight mechanics with an AI crafting system and an overhauled online mode that encapsulate what Armored Core does best: options, creativity, strategy and teamwork. It's unashamedly hardcore - and all the better for it.

Nanomashoes fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Goon Teams

PS3:
code:
Name: Goonal Cortex 
Password: lljk

Members (19/20):
Nanomashoes
TPSdude
Ineffiable
Atlatl
agean90
lokipunk
Cheap Trick
JaidoArtex
Slokir
Revolver_knight
Dire
Saintv77
Lordpen
Soggy Gravy
Miijhal
Dog Fat Man Chaser
CHaKKaWaKka
Dominic White
1up
Iceman 2343
Cthulhuchan

Nanomashoes fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 8, 2013

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

Really they should just make Chromehounds 2.

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Whoa, I didn't realize Armored Core had co-op play these days. If I wanted to play through the campaign with a friend, am I better off buying Verdict Core or the original?

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
If I hadn't known FROM made other quality games I would've assumed they were trying to pull some kind of scam with ACV.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Roguelike posted:

Whoa, I didn't realize Armored Core had co-op play these days. If I wanted to play through the campaign with a friend, am I better off buying Verdict Core or the original?

The SP co-op stuff was really short in the vanilla game, and I don't get the impression that will change with the expansion. ACV in general seems to be all about the versus MP clan wars crap, which I think is much more popular in Glorious Nippon.

The story was and campaign felt very barebones.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Gazaar posted:

If I hadn't known FROM made other quality games I would've assumed they were trying to pull some kind of scam with ACV.

ACV's online didn't work because there were essentially 18 different queues and each one could only match against a single specific queue. Best case scenario in Verdict day is that there's only 3, worst case is that there's 9-10. Either way it's gonna be a noticeable improvement.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Loved 4A, didn't enjoy 5 - is this one worth picking up for the singleplayer, and how does the campaign compare to earlier games?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Bedlam posted:

I miss my trusty 6 howitzer low-rider hound. :(

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

field balm posted:

Loved 4A, didn't enjoy 5 - is this one worth picking up for the singleplayer, and how does the campaign compare to earlier games?

I honestly can't tell you until the game is out. There's an unsurprising lack of information about the game online (half the stuff from the OP is cobbled together from barely translated interviews on fansites), and the NA release is actually coming out 2 days before the JP one. The game has absolutely no marketing budget because Bamco. They are not a good publisher, if you hadn't figured it out.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

As much as I love AC games, it does worry me when I see frame rate drops in trailers.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Jeez. There used to be a time when I was all over new Armored Cores. Now? :effort:

Is From still using that same stupid always-on DRM they used in V which locks you out of even starting the game if you don't have an internet connection or their servers just aren't feeling it that day? Because that poo poo can go straight to hell. Thank you.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I remember greatly enjoying IV, but this sounds like it will inevitably let me down.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Loved 4 and For Answer but hated V so I'm not looking forward to this.

Reive
May 21, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

Jeez. There used to be a time when I was all over new Armored Cores. Now? :effort:

Is From still using that same stupid always-on DRM they used in V which locks you out of even starting the game if you don't have an internet connection or their servers just aren't feeling it that day? Because that poo poo can go straight to hell. Thank you.

I played the singleplayer in V fine without being connected at all :confused:

I really like the controls and feel of V's gameplay, but the campaign is OK as far as I've played, not as awesome as some of the stories though, I hope Verdict is better.

Also this is the best:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVf_5WPpQfI

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Please, that's not even the best on that album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVbdk9_eXxU

As doom and gloom as I sound about V, I still had a lot of fun with it. The game itself is solid, it's just that the multiplayer could have been so much better.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Its kind of amazing honestly, cause yeah V was a mostly pretty competent game, but multiplayer was so devastatingly broken it just took a big ol poo poo on the whole package for most people back then. The movement mechanics were super satisfying, the kinetic/chemical/thermal dynamic was interesting in theory but had major problems in practice, operator mode was a ton of fun, etc.

Verdict Day could potentially be great if they've fixed the multiplayer and polished everything else, but I'm not holding out much hope. I'm probably gonna play it anyway though because I'm a huge loving idiot. 08th team represent :whatup:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Reive posted:

I played the singleplayer in V fine without being connected at all :confused:

How odd. Every time I couldn't get online or From/Namco took their serves down for maintenance and the game wouldn't let me past the log in screen ala Sim City.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

PS3 team is live, check the second post for details. I'll be playing through the campaign today, and I'll try to answer all of your questions.

The game let me import all of my ACV data, including emblems and parts, meaning that I own every legacy part already, including the Giga Missile :getin:.

e: Online already seems a lot more active. The world map updates with every new match played, and it's a pretty constant pinging. EGF is up right now, so we'll be joining Sirius for the SA blue and :freep:.

If any enterprising 360 goon wants to set up a team, post it in the thread and I'll add it to the second post.

Nanomashoes fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 24, 2013

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Nanomashoes posted:

Please, that's not even the best on that album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVbdk9_eXxU

This goon's got the right idea. :hfive:

I like this one as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPi9smv0vpw

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.
Wait, is this one of them fully stand alone games or an Armed Core: Xtreme Legends thing where it is kind of stand alone but you need the previous game to get all the poo poo?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Lazy Programming posted:

Wait, is this one of them fully stand alone games or an Armed Core: Xtreme Legends thing where it is kind of stand alone but you need the previous game to get all the poo poo?

It's fully standalone, like 4A, Silent Line, Nexus, Last Raven, Another Age, etc.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
Wait there was an Armored Core 5? I didn't even know that, I loved 4 and some other random games in the series (I never played For Answer, I feel like I probably should since I liked 4 a lot?)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I'm getting my copy after work. I'll also be joining the pa3 team too.

TPSDude
Apr 7, 2011

Tank Goon
Just popped my copy in and this install bar can't finish soon enough. Will be joining Goonal Cortex.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Oh hey, fyi, this game is on PSN too, so you can goonshare it with another guy for only $25. It's only 5.5 gigs too, so it's not insane to download or anything.

TPSDude
Apr 7, 2011

Tank Goon
Did they increase the number of team memebers? Vanilla had a limit of 20 i think, which led to having to make alt clans and co-ordinating matches a pain.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

TPSDude posted:

Did they increase the number of team memebers? Vanilla had a limit of 20 i think, which led to having to make alt clans and co-ordinating matches a pain.

It's still 20 AFAIK. I'll do my best setting everything up in the second post.

Anyways single player campaign is 10 missions long, same as ACV. Expect a similar length.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Can't believe I missed this coming out, I'll probably go pick it up tomorrow for PS3. Gotta get my robot fix.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

As long as it's actually possible to sit down and play the game with out 40 minutes of waiting or grinding the same 2 mission I am ok with this. Armored Core always rules.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

goldjas posted:

Wait there was an Armored Core 5? I didn't even know that, I loved 4 and some other random games in the series (I never played For Answer, I feel like I probably should since I liked 4 a lot?)

For Answer has quite a few missions where you're fighting gigantic fortresses. They're pretty sweet missions and it also has more co-op options then 4.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

For Answer also has a seriously kicking rad plot. I mean, like most Armored Cores, it's fairly minimalistic, but poo poo gets pretty real in some of the routes. ESPECIALLY the true evil one.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Nanomashoes posted:

It's still 20 AFAIK. I'll do my best setting everything up in the second post.

Anyways single player campaign is 10 missions long, same as ACV. Expect a similar length.
Are there still an assload of order missions though?

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Infinity Gaia posted:

For Answer also has a seriously kicking rad plot. I mean, like most Armored Cores, it's fairly minimalistic, but poo poo gets pretty real in some of the routes. ESPECIALLY the true evil one.

I have no problem saying that For Answer is the best AC game. Those loving OVERBOOST!!!!!!!!!!! missions so god drat good.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

homeless snail posted:

Are there still an assload of order missions though?

Like 6 or 7 for each story mission, yeah. Maybe more.

E: just tried a mutliplayer game with some AI companions to see what the match times were like. Got one in less than a minute. There are only two multiplayer queues now. Guys, I think FROM might have fixed the online.

Nanomashoes fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Sep 25, 2013

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
I can start a 360 team but is it region locked ? I'm EU

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

randombattle posted:

I have no problem saying that For Answer is the best AC game. Those loving OVERBOOST!!!!!!!!!!! missions so god drat good.

I liked it enough to S-rank all the missions to max out my FRS.

Occupation of Arteria Carpals on Hard :smithicide:

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Sh4 posted:

I can start a 360 team but is it region locked ? I'm EU

Devs have confirmed it's not region locked. Go wild.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Is there a demo? If not any impressions yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

primelaw
Apr 4, 2012

The most southern dandy robot judge

Bedlam posted:

I remember how people were saying Hawken and Mechwarrior Online were gonna be the same thing but better. That certainly did not turn out to be true :smith:

• Locked thread