Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
I've been saying "No" every time I'm asked if I like "Ads Like This" in the hopes the machine learning algorithm will realize that I do not like advertisements at all regardless of content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
But see, you guys are framing it as "$7.99 w/ ads JUST for South Park." I get to see The Daily Show and The Colbert Report the night after, every other Comedy Central show requires a couple weeks but then it's on there. My alternative is watching it just on my laptop w/ no ads thanks to ABP+ in the same time period, pirating on to my computer and dealing with waiting for it to finish, or paying for a cable subscription and dealing with all that crap or getting to watch it on Hulu+. I actually appreciate the ad breaks from time to time because it helps with the pacing. I can understand why people are bummed but when they act like the sky is falling, that's where I get incredulous.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Clicking anything only tells Hulu that you pay attention to ads, and encourages them to run more. If you don't like Hulu's frequent and intrusive ad breaks, the proper course of action is to mute them and switch to a different tab.

WillieWestwood posted:

Yes, as well as "is this ad relevant to you?" Which means Hulu is trying to make the viewing experience more palatable to you, but I can do without ads.

What? Hulu is gathering data to make its targeted ads more effective. They couldn't care less if you enjoy them or not.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Boywhiz88 posted:

But see, you guys are framing it as "$7.99 w/ ads JUST for South Park."

I know, but it's only because South Park was trending. I realize you can watch a lot more than South Park on H+ for that price. It's just not something I do, heh.

Irish Joe posted:

What? Hulu is gathering data to make its targeted ads more effective. They couldn't care less if you enjoy them or not.

I realize that too. :v:

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

WillieWestwood posted:

I know, but it's only because South Park was trending. I realize you can watch a lot more than South Park on H+ for that price. It's just not something I do, heh.

I realize that too. :v:

I wonder what the overlap is for people who pay for cable TV and would get by just fine with Hulu+. I have the good stuff from MTV and the good stuff from Comedy Central, I don't care about sports. Most of the major network programming, plus older stuff like Mary Tyler Moore. I just view it as an 8 dollar cable substitute. Ah well, to each their own.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!
Also, the show is no longer available online to people outside the U.S., unless Hulu operates in other countries as well.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

mobby_6kl posted:

So how's that going to work outside the US? Hulu never let me see anything on their lovely site so if that's how it's going to work now too, they can go gently caress themselves :(
If you visit the site outside the US, you get served a different (non-Hulu) player.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Boywhiz88 posted:

But see, you guys are framing it as "$7.99 w/ ads JUST for South Park." I get to see The Daily Show and The Colbert Report the night after, every other Comedy Central show requires a couple weeks but then it's on there. My alternative is watching it just on my laptop w/ no ads thanks to ABP+ in the same time period, pirating on to my computer and dealing with waiting for it to finish, or paying for a cable subscription and dealing with all that crap or getting to watch it on Hulu+. I actually appreciate the ad breaks from time to time because it helps with the pacing. I can understand why people are bummed but when they act like the sky is falling, that's where I get incredulous.

Both of these things can be watched also on comedy central's website for free so why would I pay $7.99 to do the exact same thing with unblockable ads?

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Too bad Super Best Friends, 200, and 201 are still banned. Oh, I'm sorry - they're "not available at this time."

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Bit of thread necromancy but I was wondering if it was something on Hulu's end that made the stream look like poo poo. $8 for HD, I see. Otherwise commercials, lesser quality, and censored audio. Fantastic.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
RIP South Park Studios Classic, you owned.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Irradiation posted:

Both of these things can be watched also on comedy central's website for free so why would I pay $7.99 to do the exact same thing with unblockable ads?

Because it's not just South Park that you get access to, and it's cheaper than having a full on cable subscription? Yeah, it's a bummer but it could have been much much worse. Who knows what prompted this, maybe CC wanted more money from SPS and this was the compromise that Matt and Tre worked out. I'm just saying 8 dollars a month for over 240 episodes? Oh and the whole "unblockable ads" thing. Well guess what, guys like you and me that used AdBlock+ to keep the ads from showing up on SouthParkStudios probably helped screw it up. SouthParkStudios wasn't free to run or maintain, it was better than the alternative of having every pirate each episode. It always had ads, and now they figured out a way to possibly reduce cost or reduce the need to have staff on hand to maintain the website.

I'm sorry that a few moments of ads that you can mute and maybe use as an opportunity to grab water or something is such a burden. But honestly, get over it. That whole Simpsons World thing? That requires a full cable/satellite provider subscription and I won't be able to use it on my PS3 for my TV.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Man, Boywhiz88 really loves being a corporate whore.

"If anything, there should be even MORE commercials. Think of them as a chance to catch up on some reading! Commercials also alert you to products and services that enhance your every day life. You could say that Hulu is actually doing you a favor by showing commercials. Commercials, commercials, commercials!"

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Boywhiz88 posted:

I'm sorry that a few moments of ads that you can mute and maybe use as an opportunity to grab water or something is such a burden.

you know what else gives you an opportunity to get water or something? THE PAUSE BUTTON.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Irish Joe posted:

Man, Boywhiz88 really loves being a corporate whore.

"If anything, there should be even MORE commercials. Think of them as a chance to catch up on some reading! Commercials also alert you to products and services that enhance your every day life. You could say that Hulu is actually doing you a favor by showing commercials. Commercials, commercials, commercials!"

I agree that ads are annoying, and yet I'm also aware enough of how the world works to know that websites cost money to maintain, and ads are often what keeps them afloat. You eliminate the ads and the websites either have to disappear or reconsider their methods of generating money. And that latter might include selling off the website to someone else to shoulder the burden or a complete site redesign (maybe adding a "Support us through PayPal!" button).

edit: And yes I use AdBlock Plus because gently caress ads.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Maybe let people be angry at a lovely change instead of trying to convince them how great commercials are, is my point.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Irish Joe posted:

Maybe let people be angry at a lovely change instead of trying to convince them how great commercials are, is my point.

I'm not, I already mentioned that I used AdBlock+. I just find it to be funny at how angry people are about it and I'm showing you part of why I find it funny. People keep saying "there were no ads!" Well, yeah there were, you just used software to get around them. I'm also trying to point out that it could have been much much worse.

SouthParkStudios was fantastic, I used it for awhile when I didn't have a TV. But we had it really really good. For perspective, Simpsons World is for a TV show that passed its prime almost 10-15 years ago depending on your opinion. It's going to be just an app and a website, so no real TV viewing options unless they will support Chromecast transmission or AirPlay via iOS devices. On top of that, you need an FX subscription... for a show that's been on network television its entire time.

Again, I find the reaction from some people to be overblown on both sides in regards to anger at SouthParkStudios, and excitement for Simpsons World.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Irish Joe posted:

Well in this specific case you have a point, because I'm all but entirely positive that Comedy Central pushed for this change in order to ensure that they get that sweet, sweet ad (or Hulu subscription) money. People were enjoying their Cash Cow for free, and they put a stop to it.

It's doubtful that site upkeep had any part in this decision. People were using AdBlock, CC didn't like that so they took their ball and went home to Hulu Plus.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Boywhiz88 posted:

I'm not, I already mentioned that I used AdBlock+. I just find it to be funny at how angry people are about it and I'm showing you part of why I find it funny.

You don't think you've made that point yet after six posts in a row on the subject?

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Capn Beeb posted:

Bit of thread necromancy but I was wondering if it was something on Hulu's end that made the stream look like poo poo. $8 for HD, I see. Otherwise commercials, lesser quality, and censored audio. Fantastic.
Small White Dragon, one of the admins for South Park Studios' message board, is aware of this and will pass it along to his bosses. Hopefully they'll fix that up. AFAIK the new eps will be HD for five weeks after first airdate, even for non-Plus viewers.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Well the Finnish site for South Park Studios is completely hosed. I can't watch any episodes. It only plays the little three second opening stinger and then stops.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Boywhiz88 posted:

maybe CC wanted more money from SPS and this was the compromise that Matt and Tre worked out. I'm just saying 8 dollars a month for over 240 episodes?
Probably the Netflix fiasco too. Viacom took its shows off Netflix for a few reasons, price being one of them. People have been clamoring for South Park to return to Netflix ever since, but as we see now, Hulu offered Viacom a better deal.

Boywhiz88 posted:

Oh and the whole "unblockable ads" thing. Well guess what, guys like you and me that used AdBlock+ to keep the ads from showing up on SouthParkStudios probably helped screw it up. SouthParkStudios wasn't free to run or maintain, it was better than the alternative of having every pirate each episode. It always had ads, and now they figured out a way to possibly reduce cost or reduce the need to have staff on hand to maintain the website.
I certainly use ABP myself, which keeps ads off the pages I'm looking at. Nothing more annoying than ads that expand to fill the page when I hover over them, thus blocking access to the message board, say. I was quite happy when I learned it would block ads from video streams as well, so I joined the many viewers who used it to look at the episodes ad-free. Hulu was aware that people were looking at streams this way, so it implemented counter-blocking early on, at least five years ago, long before its deal with South Park Studios 11 days ago. Now, the site may lose viewers because of the counter-blocking, but it's not a fatal loss. The real loss is some integrity, since the streams aren't in-house anymore. And for that, I agree with Vanilla Mint Ice: "RIP South Park Studios Classic."

WillieWestwood fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 23, 2014

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Capn Beeb posted:

Hulu is streaming content to SouthParkStudios.com at the same resolution the site had beforehand. If you're seeing an episode that is not HD (and is not one of the first few seasons) or censored and shouldn't be, use the "Feedback" tab on the right hand of the site and report it.

Pingiivi posted:

Well the Finnish site for South Park Studios is completely hosed. I can't watch any episodes. It only plays the little three second opening stinger and then stops.
Are you actually in Finland?

Boywhiz88 posted:

Again, I find the reaction from some people to be overblown on both sides in regards to anger at SouthParkStudios, and excitement for Simpsons World.
The sting of loss is harder than the joy of gain.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Small White Dragon posted:

Hulu is streaming content to SouthParkStudios.com at the same resolution the site had beforehand. If you're seeing an episode that is not HD (and is not one of the first few seasons) or censored and shouldn't be, use the "Feedback" tab on the right hand of the site and report it.
If people have indeed begun reporting the censored episodes, Hulu hasn't gotten the message. People are still posting that they're getting censored episodes.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

WillieWestwood posted:

If people have indeed begun reporting the censored episodes, Hulu hasn't gotten the message. People are still posting that they're getting censored episodes.
There's a lot of data to sort through, and Hulu QAs all video before it goes up.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

As long as hulu streams advertisements to paying customers, the service is iredeemable. Who cares what else you get? I'm paying more money to have some kind of redundant cable On-Demand-like service. That's pretty asinine. If you don't have a cable subscription I can almost understand the folly of using that poo poo, but the service is awful and they don't offer anything worth the price that can't be seen elsewhere just as legally without lovely terms like Pay Us Money To Watch Ten Minutes Of Advertising.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Maybe you should respond honestly to their ad surveys, then you'll get ads tailored to your taste; a cable subscription can't give you that kind of experience!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I'm closing this thread in favor of the new season 18 thread.

• Locked thread