Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I saw this early on one of the Halifax TV stations, and it looks pretty solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Mr. Fowl posted:

And you know why there's no time? Because she was too stupid to tell the rest of the FBI that the bomb was at the zoo.

She might have done that off-screen, they did show up without anyone being seen to call them.

I thought it was generally okay, although the obvious trap on the bridge was really stupidly obvious. It also didn't make a lot of sense because later on the head bad guy seemed really surprised that the girl he wanted to kidnap was under FBI protection. Until that point, I had thought that he had known about the FBI's involvement and Spader telling the FBI about the kidnap attempt was part of the plan to kidnap her.

Since the bad guy was surprised, that means he thought he needed his 12 guy ambush set up to what, intercept a minivan driven by a soccer mom?

I don't think the husband is dead just yet, because otherwise it would be pointless.

I did like the lead woman character and am sufficiently intrigued by the mystery of her past, her husband, and why Spader chose her. I especially liked the part where to show Spader that she was not going to be a pushover, she stabbed him in the neck with a pen.

This was still better than Zero Hour and The Following.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
It was better, but Spader literally put a hit out on someone while working for the FBI, and no one seems to be terribly bothered by that.

Using poison to try and kill her also doesn't fit the "make it look like an accident with huge collateral damage" M.O. of the assassin, and yeah, there was some incompetence. I would have had the woman taken to the hospital immediately and had the stuff in the glass analyzed. Seriously, they let her drink from random glasses carried by random waitstaff?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Gyges posted:

Highly unlikely.

Edit: I hope this doesn't turn into the standard MO for the show where Spader causes a completely hosed up thing to happen so that he can trick the FBI into foiling a totally different thing. They're barely functioning idiots, Spader. Toying with them is beneath you.

Yeah, the only way the plot of the pilot remotely made sense is that Spader tipping off the FBI to the kidnap attempt was part of the kidnappers plan, and here, he apparently made up a completely bogus story about a guy who arranged accidents...

Hold on a second. If there was no "Freelancer", then what about the incident that Spader predicted in the industrial park? He'd look pretty stupid giving intel on an urgent threat if nothing happened. It would not help his credibility.

Nope, it still doesn't make a lot of sense. We're either supposed to believe that there is no Freelancer and Spader made up a random spurious threat which miraculously came true out of sheer coincidence, down to the location and within 20 minutes of the time he said it would...

Or the freelancer exists, and normally kills so subtly that teams and teams of investigators can find no trace of sabotage. The idea of an assassin arranging train crashes and such to kill people is really dumb - primarily because you can't even guarantee to injure your target, let alone kill them. Except for this one he changes his M.O. into blatant poisoning which he administered himself and stuck around to watch.

In any case, he's lying and dicking the FBI around, so I'm not sure why they're indulging in all his conditions.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
There's a lot dumb about this show, but sperging out over the manta ray line is really stupid.

Neither the bad guy, nor Spader are marine biologists, and the bad guy clearly knew and trusted Spader enough to let him enter his top-secret spy base with a new associate. It's not as if they were meeting for the first time and the bad guy made them go through a 15-stage validation process and 2-week waiting period while every aspect of their backgrounds and things said at the various stages were researched and evaluated.

• Locked thread