Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Flipperwaldt posted:

This happens after viewing a single person's posts in that thread. Tapping it sends me to the op of that thread. It can be cleared by manually going to the last page of the thread.

I hadn't seen this one before.

Looks like you've got some posting to do to make up the deficit!

(it's happened to me before too)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Dabir posted:

Looks like you've got some posting to do to make up the deficit!

(it's happened to me before too)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Flipperwaldt posted:

This happens after viewing a single person's posts in that thread. Tapping it sends me to the op of that thread. It can be cleared by manually going to the last page of the thread.

I hadn't seen this one before.

maybe it's someone telling you to read the OP

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
Edit: issue was a setting in my phone. Nm

frh fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jul 10, 2022

astral
Apr 26, 2004

If you didn't already, you should make sure you can access the forums through a regular web browser on the phone as a good first troubleshooting step.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
Nm, changing settings worked

frh fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jul 10, 2022

handle
Jan 20, 2011

Blooster posted:

Edit: issue was a setting in my phone. Nm
Out of curiosity, which setting was the problem?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Hide bad posts button

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Skarsnik posted:

Hide bad posts button

You can't put yourself on ignore, sorry

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Skarsnik posted:

Hide bad posts button

Yeah the logout button still works.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Skarsnik posted:

Hide bad posts button

This kills the forums

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I have a problem with Search This Thread frequently that never returns results

Example

Proof the text exists

What shows up when I put the word in the mobile chrome "search this thread" text box

Link to page containing the word

I tried clicking it, writing it in, then clicking it, erasing the space, write it in. I repeated this 3 times over 10 minutes, with retries after attempt 1 and 2.

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 15, 2022

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I have a problem with Search This Thread frequently that never returns results

I also see this constantly, with or without quote marks in the search, to the point that I just mostly end up using it to copy the thread ID for browser searches.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
I was going to say it doesn't work for me either but I think it may be a platinum only feature? Although I guess aard varkman probably has that. Oh is that what the grenade means? Nm then.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

run on sentience posted:

I was going to say it doesn't work for me either but I think it may be a platinum only feature? Although I guess aard varkman probably has that.

I think the entire search this thread feature has been broken for like a year but when I'm using it I always just need an answer and throw it in chrome instead and forget about it lol

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

:shrug:

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Occasionally it will work for me but almost always not. Didn't realize it was an app bug because I just assumed SA was broken

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yep I've given up searching too and didn't realise it was just the app

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
change your theme and change it back, that fixed it for me a while ago

handle
Jan 20, 2011

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I think the entire search this thread feature has been broken for like a year but when I'm using it I always just need an answer and throw it in chrome instead and forget about it lol
For those with this issue, what version of Android are you running? Edit: and what language is set on your system?

butt dickus posted:

change your theme and change it back, that fixed it for me a while ago
And did this work for anybody? Quite curious if so..

handle fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 16, 2022

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

it's still working for me

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Android 12 and English

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

handle posted:

For those with this issue, what version of Android are you running? Edit: and what language is set on your system?

And did this work for anybody? Quite curious if so..

I have had the search issue, Android 12 on a Galaxy S20+. Language must be US English I guess. Changing the theme and back again does seem to have fixed it too.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

i just found a minor bug while i was looking for my post explaining what i did last time with the search

can reproduce by picking the view posts by this user and then sliding back to the bookmarks page instead of using the back gesture

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Android 11/English for me, although I can duplicate that search. I know it has sporadically worked for me in the past, but I don't *think* I've changed themes or anything since the last few times I noticed it not working though.

handle
Jan 20, 2011

Thank you all for the info! I might have found something.

Currently, if a search produces only a single page of results, there is no "Last" button that it can scrape information from, and it treats the search as if it found no results. In the thread above, now that "wesker" appears >10 times in the thread, it has two pages of results and works fine.

So! Until someone can produce a patch, I guess be less discriminating in your search phrasing, or spam the thread you're searching with a minimum of 10 posts containing your search terms to guarantee success :clint:

handle fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 17, 2022

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Obscure searches failing would explain a lot. It does seem more likely to fail the more information you put in

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Is this the feature request thread too? Folding phone main screens have an aspect ratio of around 2:3, can we get a setting to force a maximum image/video embed size, maybe based on a percentage of the viewport height? Videos frequently end up with a bad cropped zoomed-in effect

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Feature Request

I know making polls show up in the app is probably a gigantic pain in the rear end, so as nice as that'd be, I'm not asking for that.

But, would it be possible to make an indication somewhere that there IS a poll that we can't see?

I symbol, a color coded OP, whatever. Then we could look at a browser if we care.

Love the app, you folks are amazing. Thank you!

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
Any icon packs that have their own version for the Awful.apk?

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Feature request

I'm guessing it is not possible but can there be a View Profile option when looking at a user?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Maybe I'm just loving something up, but Inserting Imgur in a pm seems to always put it at the top of the message (above the giant stack of quotes) rather than where my cursor is?

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
The vast, vast majority of the time this app Just Works and I'm incredibly grateful, but sometimes with random threads it just will fail at loading the next page. One that seems to fail for three pages in a row is the gbs trump thread, the three most recent pages. I can't really view the thread until *whatever* some idiot did isn't in the page. I assume there's no fix possible because of how nebulous this is, but I'd love to know why poo poo goes sideways.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

The vast, vast majority of the time this app Just Works and I'm incredibly grateful, but sometimes with random threads it just will fail at loading the next page. One that seems to fail for three pages in a row is the gbs trump thread, the three most recent pages. I can't really view the thread until *whatever* some idiot did isn't in the page. I assume there's no fix possible because of how nebulous this is, but I'd love to know why poo poo goes sideways.

I went through 12/13/14 and I don't see any unusual media across all 3. More YouTube videos than usual, but not on 14, and someone embedded an image from Steam on one page, but only that page. Try disabling embed options maybe?

(On 14 at the time of this post the only media is a single quote of an imgur embedded still image)

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
also thank you blessed awful.apk developer for fixing the search function

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Disharmony posted:

Any icon packs that have their own version for the Awful.apk?

Out of the icon packs I have-
Bolt, Borealis, LineX, Lotus, Minimalist, Nexa, Outline Icons, Pixel Pie Dark, Pixel Pie, Verticons icon pack. Some of these I have to manually apply, I assume because the app is somehow cursed. I usually use a Plague Inc icon if the pack doesn't have anything appropriate.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Make sure you are on the newest version, there was some issue with ignored users a couple of months back.

handle
Jan 20, 2011

Killingyouguy! posted:

Maybe I'm just loving something up, but Inserting Imgur in a pm seems to always put it at the top of the message (above the giant stack of quotes) rather than where my cursor is?
I've been able to reproduce this, I'm looking into the best way to fix it. Patch will probably be a while though. :)

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
Tried clicking a YouTube link in a probation on someone's rap sheet and got returned to the post the probation was from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I'm on Google Fi, and I noticed I was using more than 2GB of data for a few months in a row. I checked data usage and the biggest culprit was Instagram, so I looked at it a lot less when off wifi (plus I unfollowed a bunch of useless accounts).

I'm already over 2GB this month and the cycle still has a few more days. Guess which app is the biggest culprit this time :frogsiren: