Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Creamythighs
Dec 28, 2022

handle posted:

Silly question, but are you on the early pages of a giant thread? By default the app will load page 1 of an unread thread. There should a "1 / 197" type display at the bottom center of the screen, if you tap that it'll bring up a page chooser.

Thank you! Yea I did that and now it makes more sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Found a very minor bug, I might try tackling this myself

When doing this from an ISP or country where imgur is blocked, the error comes back that imgur is over capacity

Probably reproducible by editing your hosts file for imgur domain(s)

Don't have time to reproduce right now

InappropriateJazz
Aug 3, 2013

Hey, I also had the non-responsive 3dot-menu, timgs, spoilers etc. I'm on a Fairphone 3 with degoogled LineageOS. Updating LOS (new WebView) and Awful (to 3.8.18) to the newest version fixed the issue for me.

So I just wanted to say that you guys are doing a great job! Can I buy you a coffee or something? I didn't see an obvious donation link on the first page.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I'm using the latest official release of the android app.. for the last... Maybe 6 months? Gifs show up to me like this.

Is there a setting to fix this or is it just not working for me?

I click the link and it opens the gif off-site at whatever address it was posted from in a firefox window on my phone.

It's driving me nuts!

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 6, 2023

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Wendigee posted:

I'm using the latest official release of the android app.. for the last... Maybe 6 months? Gifs show up to me like this.

Is there a setting to fix this or is it just not working for me?

I click the link and it opens the gif off-site at whatever address it was posted from in a firefox window on my phone.

It's driving me nuts!

Settings > Images > Disable GIF animation

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Also sounds like settings > posts > always open links is enabled, so you don't get offered the play gif option anymore.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Yay! thank you both so much... it seemed to be that I had disable gif animation on.... usually i wouldn't mind but people keep posting static gifs and its frustrating as hell.

I'm still not sure what "settings > posts > always open links" i didn't see any change toggling that.

Anyway! thanks! this has made my app experience much more enjoyable!

I kinda just wish the GIFs would show in that previous post i made, but if i clicked it, it would load instead of loading offsite... but this works!

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 7, 2023

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Wendigee posted:

I'm still not sure what "settings > posts > always open links" i didn't see any change toggling that.
If it is enabled (slider to the right), you will not get the following menu when tapping an image:

See that there's a 'play gif' option in case gif animation is disabled, but also share and download. The menu is skipped entirely -for all types of image in fact- and the option to open the image in whatever external app (like your browser) you have defined is chosen automatically. You effectively will not have access to the other options anymore via the awful app.

If it is disabled, you will get the menu every time you tap any embedded image, which is I think the default setting.

With both gif animation disabled and always open links enabled, you can't see gifs animated in the app at all.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
This is probably a user end problem but I was wondering if anyone else has had issues loading the app on data rather than wifi. Whenever I'm out for a walk and I'm off of wifi I can barely get any signal for the app despite other apps working just fine like messenger, facebook, youtube, etc. I think if there's a problem on my end it probably stems from using an older SD card on my phone when I switched to our company's data plan, but I can't make out why other apps are working normally except for this one.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my phone has problems with that too but it's because some of the local towers are insanely over burdened and barely functions.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Larry Parrish posted:

my phone has problems with that too but it's because some of the local towers are insanely over burdened and barely functions.

But wouldn't that affect my other apps as well? I'm on Telus and there's a big tower not 2km away from me that services all of downtown.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arc Hammer posted:

But wouldn't that affect my other apps as well? I'm on Telus and there's a big tower not 2km away from me that services all of downtown.

it kinda depends. it can be hard to diagnose on a cellphone because some apps handle spotty network way better than others and also ive noticed even on wifi sometimes apps will just inexplicably not load anything until i kill them and start them again. i suspect android just has really lovely network handling

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Try using the "only load on WiFi" option in the images settings and see if that improves things.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

it kinda depends. it can be hard to diagnose on a cellphone because some apps handle spotty network way better than others and also ive noticed even on wifi sometimes apps will just inexplicably not load anything until i kill them and start them again. i suspect android just has really lovely network handling

I wouldn't be surprised if this is it. I have a few different apps that I have to force stop before they'll work again, though there's no pattern as to when I'll have to do it. Except for Peacock. I have to do it quite frequently, and pretty much every time I want to cast to my Chromecast.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Because of the weird form factor of my phone (zfold 4), gifs now overflow over the top/bottom of my screen.

Is there any way to make them fill the height by default instead of fitting the width of my screen?

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Probably handy for android tablet users too. All 3 of us.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Aware posted:

You, me, and who makes 3?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Kheldarn posted:

You, me, and who makes 3?

Posted from my Kindle Fire HD

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
How do you get back to your place in the lepers colony when you click on a link to a bad post? Hitting back or swiping left does neither.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Aware posted:

Do the appmakers get a breakdown of devices/OSes/resolutions used?

Leper Go-getter
Nov 7, 2010
I guess we all have some trouble with stuttering video playback still? I'ts both twitter and youtube inline vids for me. Once in a while it might play fine? Sound allways works. Other video hosts i dont really know.

Went and got webview beta, enabled that and enabled EventPath, though this might be addressing another problem anyway.

Running android 11 security uodate 2022.06.01
App version 3.8.18
Phone is Oneplus 7 pro

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Leper Go-getter posted:

I guess we all have some trouble with stuttering video playback still?

No never, not once

Not being :smug: here but its not a universal problem and probably specific to a phone or android version

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Meanwhile, I get it on Android 8.0.0 EMIU 8.0.0 on my tablet.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Leper Go-getter posted:

I guess we all have some trouble with stuttering video playback still? I'ts both twitter and youtube inline vids for me. Once in a while it might play fine? Sound allways works. Other video hosts i dont really know.

Went and got webview beta, enabled that and enabled EventPath, though this might be addressing another problem anyway.

Running android 11 security uodate 2022.06.01
App version 3.8.18
Phone is Oneplus 7 pro

it's weird because the playback smooths out if you keep scrolling, like you can scroll super slowly and see it go from stuttery garbage to normal, and then have it seize back up as soon as you stop.

handle
Jan 20, 2011

Leper Go-getter posted:

The WebView beta/EventPath workaround was for another issue, just fyi, don't need to keep that enabled unless you want to for some reason.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

it's weird because the playback smooths out if you keep scrolling, like you can scroll super slowly and see it go from stuttery garbage to normal, and then have it seize back up as soon as you stop.

This reminds me of a QoL issue I've had forever. In the app on Android (Google Pixel 4a) I often try to skip forward in a YouTube embed only to trigger the "back" function swiping from the left. It would be nice to be able to drag the progress bar on an embedded YouTube video without going back to the forums home

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
I'm not sure if this is my iPhone, Musk/Twitter fuckery, or Awful App.

The last 4 times I've quit out of the in-app browser while watching a Twitter video has caused the audio to persist.

I've tried closing the Twitter window as well as closing the Awful app, it keeps playing.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Can we download images from the lepers colony?

Leper Go-getter
Nov 7, 2010

Skarsnik posted:

No never, not once

:mad:

handle posted:

The WebView beta/EventPath workaround was for another issue, just fyi, don't need to keep that enabled unless you want to for some reason.

Thanks, I will revert back.

FAUXTON posted:

it's weird because the playback smooths out if you keep scrolling

Yea, and it's a real strain on my thumb ! Sometimes the video is not even funny !

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I gave up on that issue once I saw it happening in the Steam app (and another one i can't remember). It's a WebView issue and the only solution that worked was reverting the WebView back to the factory version by uninstalling updates and preventing auto-updates.

Beastie posted:

I'm not sure if this is my iPhone, Musk/Twitter fuckery, or Awful App.

The last 4 times I've quit out of the in-app browser while watching a Twitter video has caused the audio to persist.

I've tried closing the Twitter window as well as closing the Awful app, it keeps playing.

As this is the Android awful thread, I'm gonna say it's the iPhone. You can try asking here

Sereri fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jan 19, 2023

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Is there a reason why it isn't possible to download images anymore?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

The image you're trying to download probably isn't recognized as such by the code that shows the popup.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

I have not been able to log into awful app for a week. I downloaded the update and still cannot get it to log in.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Sereri posted:

The image you're trying to download probably isn't recognized as such by the code that shows the popup.

It worked before. I tried it twice yesterday with imgur and attached images and wouldn't get the download notification. After a while I would get download failed notification at random times.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

Altared State posted:

Is there a reason why it isn't possible to download images anymore?

Same with me. It tells me I don't have permission even though I could download images the other week.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Confusedslight posted:

Same with me. It tells me I don't have permission even though I could download images the other week.

I'm having the same issue.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

The only way to fix Awful App is to uninstall it. It's a shame I'm going to miss it.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
I don't know if it's a site thing or an app thing but I've noticed that users I have on ignore become un-ignored when they get a new av.

It's not a big deal, I really don't know why I bother with ignore since I read all the posts anyway, but thought I would mention it.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
Bookmark widget just disappeared. I also just updated my device OS so that may be why.

Model Sony XQ-CC54

Version 65.1.A.4.8 release-keys

E: Huh no wait it just didn't show up in the phone's widget menu, it was instead accessible by long pressing the app icon

jeebus bob fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Feb 4, 2023