Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

baka kaba posted:

Yeah sorry, I got it out as soon as I could but it can take a day to show up on devices, and the Play Store says that because of corona "expect review times of seven days or longer" - I don't know how that affects updates, but that might delay it

if it doesn't show up, and you're comfortable installing it outside of the play store, I uploaded the new release APK here
https://github.com/Awful/Awful.apk/releases/tag/v3.6.10

I dunno if that'll update the current one or install as a separate app alongside (might want to pick a different app icon in the settings if that's the case) but yeah, if it's gonna take 7 days for a fix to roll out then getting logged out every 30 mins is going to get old real fast!

if anyone got the update yet pls say so, I can't see the stats yet

No update on either device yet, but I haven't been logged out of my tablet since you posted about the cookie issue. My phone had already been logged out by then, but I only just logged back in on it before replying. I'll check with it in a half hour or so, and then report back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

baka kaba posted:

Yeah sorry, I got it out as soon as I could but it can take a day to show up on devices, and the Play Store says that because of corona "expect review times of seven days or longer" - I don't know how that affects updates, but that might delay it

if it doesn't show up, and you're comfortable installing it outside of the play store, I uploaded the new release APK here

I dunno if that'll update the current one or install as a separate app alongside (might want to pick a different app icon in the settings if that's the case) but yeah, if it's gonna take 7 days for a fix to roll out then getting logged out every 30 mins is going to get old real fast!

I just installed the apk, I'll report back with results. Thanks for being so responsive!!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

^^^ no probs bud, and thanks for the nice words you guys, although now I'm worried about your app libraries if we're the most responsive :v:

hooah posted:

I haven't gotten it yet, but I'm curious why it isn't affecting everybody.

The cookie is only set when you log in, so if you were already logged in before cloudflare started sending the poison one, it won't affect you

log out at your peril :spooky:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Trip Report: Phone logged me out, but tablet is still logged in.

baka kaba posted:

The cookie is only set when you log in, so if you were already logged in before cloudflare started sending the poison one, it won't affect you

log out at your peril :spooky:

I don't think that's right. I never log out of the app, and I got logged out on both devices...

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

baka kaba posted:

Just downloaded and ran the .apk

It ran as an update to existing app. Don't seem to have the "wait seconds to do stuff" thing that happened on quick swap before. Log in seems fine.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Intoluene posted:

Just downloaded and ran the .apk

It ran as an update to existing app. Don't seem to have the "wait seconds to do stuff" thing that happened on quick swap before. Log in seems fine.

That's good to know, thanks! If the slowdown thing actually is fixed then that would be cool, we'll have to see about that though

Kheldarn posted:

Trip Report: Phone logged me out, but tablet is still logged in.

I don't think that's right. I never log out of the app, and I got logged out on both devices...

So the login expires after 30 mins, but it won't matter until the app restarts and has to reinitialise everything. So if you're not using your tablet enough that the app gets kicked out of memory, it'll stay logged in. You're probably using your phone more doing a bunch of other things so that's more likely to log you out

And you might have been logged out recently because your session cookie actually did expire, it lasts a year (and it's the same one on all devices) and because of an earlier bug a lot of people had to log in again around the same time, so that might be why it's hitting a wave of people. The fix should do it, otherwise I don't know what the heck

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

baka kaba posted:

That's good to know, thanks! If the slowdown thing actually is fixed then that would be cool, we'll have to see about that though

So the login expires after 30 mins, but it won't matter until the app restarts and has to reinitialise everything. So if you're not using your tablet enough that the app gets kicked out of memory, it'll stay logged in. You're probably using your phone more doing a bunch of other things so that's more likely to log you out

And you might have been logged out recently because your session cookie actually did expire, it lasts a year (and it's the same one on all devices) and because of an earlier bug a lot of people had to log in again around the same time, so that might be why it's hitting a wave of people. The fix should do it, otherwise I don't know what the heck

BTW can confirm the apk fixed the logout bug for me, and I'm a professional QA Engineer so either your fix is solid or im lowkey costing my company millions from missed prod bugs :v:

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

baka kaba posted:

I spoke too soon on both counts, my apologies.

EDIT: okay, login is most assuredly fixed. Went two hours and it worked perfectly. Slowness upon switch is still a thing, though.

Intoluene fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Apr 2, 2020

Cassiopeia
Feb 17, 2011

baka kaba posted:

Worked perfect for me thanks! Just asked if I wanted to run as a update and sorted. Normal service resumed :)

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

baka kaba posted:

I always end all apps when I'm done with them (tap the Square button to show apps, then either slide them away or hit the trashcan/close all button). It's a habit that formed when I had very limited RAM on my first Android phone so I pretty much had to do that to run an app.

I don't know enough about how Android works to know if that makes an app have to restart and reinitialize, though...

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Intoluene posted:

I spoke too soon on both counts, my apologies.

EDIT: okay, login is most assuredly fixed. Went two hours and it worked perfectly. Slowness upon switch is still a thing, though.

HonorableTB posted:

BTW can confirm the apk fixed the logout bug for me, and I'm a professional QA Engineer so either your fix is solid or im lowkey costing my company millions from missed prod bugs :v:

Cassiopeia posted:

Worked perfect for me thanks! Just asked if I wanted to run as a update and sorted. Normal service resumed :)

thanks gang, at least now I know it's working and I don't need to wait a week to find out if I did a bad or not!

Kheldarn posted:

I always end all apps when I'm done with them (tap the Square button to show apps, then either slide them away or hit the trashcan/close all button). It's a habit that formed when I had very limited RAM on my first Android phone so I pretty much had to do that to run an app.

I don't know enough about how Android works to know if that makes an app have to restart and reinitialize, though...

nah it doesn't guarantee it, that's down to the system, it just signals that the app can be kicked out of memory - easiest way to tell if it's restarting is if you see the splash screen

it's also possible your tablet made you sign in before all this started happening, I had to log in a few days ago and this wasn't happening then. It should be fixed with the update anyway!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Chiming in to confirm that I installed the .apk directly from github, it ran as an update, and the issue is fully resolved after an app restart. Thanks so much for the quick fix!

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Phone keeps logging out. Will try this DL.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
This may be a weird question but how many different places in the app can you see the full title of thread titles that are really long? While posting or editing a post, the whole thread title appears at the top, but is there a place other than that I don't know? In the thread display, while browsing the thread, and in the bookmark display they get cut off.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
When you're browsing the thread you can scroll the title back and forth, if that helps

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

YggiDee posted:

When you're browsing the thread you can scroll the title back and forth, if that helps
Oh huh, I would never have thought to try that.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I have a compulsive habit of touching/highlighting text while I read

(incidentally this makes the reddit app a loving nightmare, it vanishes comments while I'm trying to read them and I hate it!!!)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

YggiDee posted:

(incidentally this makes the reddit app a loving nightmare, it vanishes comments while I'm trying to read them and I hate it!!!)

My reading weirdness is that I always constantly scroll so that the line I'm reading is centered vertically in the display which means when I get close to, but not quite to, the end of a page in the app or in an e-reader I trigger the next page and I have to go back in order to finish the page.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

YggiDee posted:

Me too, on the PC anyway. Once I was staying at a friend's house and using his computer and he was like what other gently caress are you doing?

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Podima posted:

Chiming in to confirm that I installed the .apk directly from github, it ran as an update, and the issue is fully resolved after an app restart. Thanks so much for the quick fix!

Me too, the update worked perfectly. Cheers!

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

The update worked after one last logout.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

yeah just got the bug, too- sideloaded apk worked on phone, but won't install to Kindle Fire (as an update- haven't tried uninstalling yet)

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Yes, Amazon touches the apk files we submit (the same ones that go to Google) in a bad place and that might (read does) prevent you from applying a clean file as an update. Likewise it might be the other way around.

I've submit the update to Amazon a few seconds ago, lets see if they're quicker than Google. Still didn't receive the updated version but I'm not getting logged out so ehh.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I tend to forget about the Amazon side of things tbh.

This can be seen by this skipping the previous update from late February as well as the one before coming almost a month late

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Update worked thanks for the quick fix!

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

LastInLine posted:

Let's be real here, Awful app is better supported than pretty much every third party app out there. I can only think of a handful that come close.

:yeah:

loving seriously. I mean, I have a lot of really great apps, but support and responsiveness from their devs doesn't even come close to Awful. I think you guys are utter morons for not taking donations. (I mean that lovingly.) For gently caress's sake take our money and go get some hookers and coke.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hipster_Doofus posted:

:yeah:

loving seriously. I mean, I have a lot of really great apps, but support and responsiveness from their devs doesn't even come close to Awful. I think you guys are utter morons for not taking donations. (I mean that lovingly.) For gently caress's sake take our money and go get some hookers and coke.

The rule back in the day when these apps were coming into being was that no one can make money off the forums other than Lowtax. Why doesn't Lowtax put some money towards these apps? Who knows. (I know, it's because he has no money.)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

The rule back in the day when these apps were coming into being was that no one can make money off the forums other than Lowtax. Why doesn't Lowtax put some money towards these apps? Who knows. (I know, it's because he has no money.)

At one point lowtax posted that there were going to be official SA mobile apps and/or a mobile site layout that didnt suck but it was never clear if that went anywhere beyond the idea stage.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Midjack posted:

At one point lowtax posted that there were going to be “official” SA mobile apps and/or a mobile site layout that didn’t suck but it was never clear if that went anywhere beyond the idea stage.

He posted about it again somewhat recently, post-spine anyway

I think he's nuts if he doesn't adopt an already Kick-rear end app rather than starting from scratch on something that I honestly can't imagine possibly being any better

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The Bloop posted:

He posted about it again somewhat recently, post-spine anyway

I think he's nuts if he doesn't adopt an already Kick-rear end app rather than starting from scratch on something that I honestly can't imagine possibly being any better

He's gonna bring Radium back to make the official app.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Kheldarn posted:

He's gonna bring Radium back to make the official app.

And it will only allow you to create lovely threads.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 3, 2020

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Hipster_Doofus posted:

And it will only allow you to create lovely threads.

That's all we do anyway to be fair

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Had the log in problem so downloaded the app and now post highlights aren't working

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Had the log in problem so downloaded the app and now post highlights aren't working

Mine are working on the new APK.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Sereri posted:

Yes, Amazon touches the apk files we submit (the same ones that go to Google) in a bad place and that might (read does) prevent you from applying a clean file as an update. Likewise it might be the other way around.

I've submit the update to Amazon a few seconds ago, lets see if they're quicker than Google. Still didn't receive the updated version but I'm not getting logged out so ehh.

Hey, thanks, theyre a lot quicker, it just updated!

I can understand leaving out the Amazon end, it seems like a pain in the rear end for what's probably a small percentage of users. These things kinda suck, and keep respelling words that are both in the dictionary and spelled right the first.time, but I can't rly afford a better one

also.its.been automatically putting periods between words a lot. THANKS BEZOS

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

LastInLine posted:

Mine are working on the new APK.

Ok?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Well if it works for me and not for you, then you need to troubleshoot. Are you using an inbuilt theme and did you check to make sure the setting is on in the control panel of the forums and that the appropriate toggles are on in Settings > Posts?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Just got the update via the Play Store, it finally went through

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Also got the update via play store, and no longer getting logged out. Woop!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Thanks for debugging and fixing this so swiftly.