Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
Is the app not supposed to display the probation message? It doesn't seem to show it regardless if I have account Dark Mode turned on or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Hadlock posted:

So I have either a pixel 3 or 4 (I literally forget, they all look the same) and a flakey apple USB-C power cable that doesn't lock in place very well edit: pretty sure it's the 3

Anyways, if you're reply/quoting a thread, and the power reconnects, this causes the reply page to reload, and then if you say "use saved stuff" it then adds your reply to the quote. Doesn't just plop your old text below the quote, it actually adds it to the quote

Also reconnecting the power cable seems to cause page reload activity on thread view pages as well

TL;DR please don't have the app make page draw/reload action on power cable events

I've just tried this out and can't replicate this in any way whatsoever

Aren't you the guy that insists on having battery saver mode turned on all the time but also complained their new phone was no faster than their old one? (because you were deliberately making it run slow)

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I have a Galaxy A7. Whenever I'm using the app in splitscreen and resize the splits, it has to (I assume) rerender the thread I'm looking at, whicj puts me back at the post I started from if I've scrolled around at all. Other apps handle splitscreen resizing a lot more gracefully, could this be looked into?

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
I'm using Awful on a Samsung Galaxy S10e (Android 11) and a couple of days ago Awful stopped updating threads.

In an attempt to fix it I logged out and now can't log back in, I just get "Login failed!"

I've confirmed I can still log out and back in normally on the web, I've cleared the app cache and data, and it's still doing the same thing.

Any ideas?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Skarsnik posted:

Aren't you the guy that insists on having battery saver mode turned on all the time but also complained their new phone was no faster than their old one? (because you were deliberately making it run slow)

Skarsnik posted:

Worked for me on first try

1. Reboot phone
2. Make sure battery saver mode is on
3. Find a post in awful, reply to it
4. Plug in a USB-PD charger/cable
5. Will double quote

I'm not sure I was complaining, just merely observing that my pixel 1 and 3 had no difference in performance. The performance doesn't really matter to me, I can't remember the last time in probably 5 years when I thought my phone was too slow. While I'm on the defensive, I leave my phone in battery saver mode yeah, but I also run the battery down to 10-15% pretty much every day even with it on, so seems like a good idea? :shrug:

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

rolleyes posted:

I'm using Awful on a Samsung Galaxy S10e (Android 11) and a couple of days ago Awful stopped updating threads.

In an attempt to fix it I logged out and now can't log back in, I just get "Login failed!"

I've confirmed I can still log out and back in normally on the web, I've cleared the app cache and data, and it's still doing the same thing.

Any ideas?

Finally fixed it by uninstalling and reinstalling the app :iiam:

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
Tweets have just now stopped embedding properly for me in the app.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

E: nevermind problem was my stupid home network

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

ArcMage posted:

do they still not work? tweets look fine here.
also your avatar is fuckin cursed who is that DW?

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah
Does Yospos look like this for anybody else?

Some threads have light background in the thread list. Some facts:

• Bookmark status seems not to make a difference
  • Whether there are unread posts seems not to matter either
  • If I open the thread on the last page and return to the forum view it's fixed. But only for the last page.
  • Forum refresh has no effect.
  • No strange color-in settings in my SA profile
  • Happens on threads I've never opened and on those which I frequent daily.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I believe that's a known issue with the themed thread lists, though I don't know what causes it. Every once in a while it just happens until you restart the app.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How do I set the app to show my bookmarks first instead of the list of all forum sections?

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
Add the Awful Bookmarks widget to your home screen

dihaploidy
Oct 31, 2010

Buglord

obeyasia posted:

How do I set the app to show my bookmarks first instead of the list of all forum sections?

Assuming you're launching from your home screen rather than app list: You should be able to go to your create widget section and find a Bookmarks widget for Awful. Replace the Awful app with that widget and it will open direct to bookmarks. Not sure if there might be another method.

e:f,b

dihaploidy fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jun 4, 2021

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

ArcMage posted:

Tweets have stopped embedding for me as well.

Galaxy A71 5g

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

https://twitter.com/sereri_sa/status/1400853358664167425

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jethro posted:

Add the Awful Bookmarks widget to your home screen

Thanks to you both!

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Machai posted:

Tweets have stopped embedding for me as well.

Galaxy A71 5g

that's a feature

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

:hmmyes:

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

:cheersdoge:

Wish I knew what it actually was, but it's fixed for me.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

ArcMage posted:

:cheersdoge:

Wish I knew what it actually was, but it's fixed for me.

Twitter's embed stuff is just really bad and randomly breaks

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Daztek posted:

Twitter's embed stuff is just really bad and randomly breaks

I think it's a thing on non mobile too, but I hate that the "replies" button now sends you to the person's twitter page. Not the replies, not even the tweet, just top of their page. It enrages me and I keep falling for it every single day

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, Twitter's API seems like a "best effort" sort of thing. Hell, it's not the only thing that works most of the time. Likes randomly don't register, people randomly don't see their followers. I think the whole platform runs on "good enough" and that's how they do it at the scale they do.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Their API is like a leaky faucet in their precious walled data garden, they'd eliminate it entirely if their partners wouldn't complain loudly about it. It's a small medium miracle there aren't third party Facebook clients

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
can devs have the https://forums.somethingawful.com/ link open the app from my web browser

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.
I was having crashes when trying to open threads, didn't matter from where (bookmarks, forums, etc). I found this issue with an updated version of the android system webview was the culprit: https://knowtechie.com/if-youve-noticed-a-bunch-of-android-app-crashes-recently-do-this-now/. Removing it got things working again for Awful (in addition to some other apps).

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Hadlock posted:

Their API is like a leaky faucet in their precious walled data garden, they'd eliminate it entirely if their partners wouldn't complain loudly about it. It's a small medium miracle there aren't third party Facebook clients

There....are? On the rare occasion I even use Facebook these days, I log in via the Friendly app. I mean, it could just be like a wrapper for the web view or something, but it's pretty needs-suiting.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

taiyoko posted:

There....are? On the rare occasion I even use Facebook these days, I log in via the Friendly app. I mean, it could just be like a wrapper for the web view or something, but it's pretty needs-suiting.

I also use Friendly on both Android and iOS, and it's 100% a web wrapper deal. It's much better for basic browsing than "normal" Facebook and adds some nice QoL stuff like adblock and removing stories and videos and such I'm never gonna watch.

It's also fairly janky in general, I often have to force close it because clicking links and stuff sometimes...does nothing

Overall recommended though

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
I simply can't log back into the app for some reason. I've tried:
  • Rebooting the phone
  • Deleting then reinstalling the app
  • Resetting my SA password
  • Logging in using both wi-fi and network data

Any ideas what's up with this?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Can you try changing the password again to one that contains only numbers and letters and see if that works?

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Would be happy to, but doesn't the site force you to use at least one symbol in your password? I seem to recall when I tried it a couple of days ago you had to include at least one capital letter, one lower case letter, one number and one symbol (and at least 12 characters overall).

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Try:
TestPassword12345!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

other people posted:

Try:
TestPassword12345!

Don't post my password please

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Facebook even on third-party apps is still so loving bad for navigating and using. Like they want to keep everyone there AOL-style but they're so many times worse at it than AOL was, decades later and with countless $billions more at their disposal.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Don't post my password please

all i see is ******************

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I realize it's more a question of having the time than intentionally not implementing it, but the C-SPAM admin feedback thread has a few people wondering if the proliferation of megathreads there is related to Awful.apk not supporting making new threads, and I thought that was interesting.

(I know I usually shitpost here on the topic, but this is a rare earnestpost.)

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Feature Request: For Comedy Shitposting Purposes, can long press on the thread title bar copy the thread tile (or preferably, the entire hierarchical name)? Namaste.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Toshimo posted:

Feature Request: For Comedy Shitposting Purposes, can long press on the thread title bar copy the thread tile (or preferably, the entire hierarchical name)? Namaste.

Oh man yeah that would be neet

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
E: NVM used search and got an answer

Food Boner fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jun 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Dabir posted:

I have a Galaxy A7. Whenever I'm using the app in splitscreen and resize the splits, it has to (I assume) rerender the thread I'm looking at, whicj puts me back at the post I started from if I've scrolled around at all. Other apps handle splitscreen resizing a lot more gracefully, could this be looked into?

I have this issue on a Galaxy S7 even without touching splitscreen mode. If I click a link from a thread and fart around in firefox or youtube or what-have you, when I switch back to Awful it will usually be scrolled back to the top of the page.