Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

A while ago someone in this thread mentioned something about being able to underclock on a per app basis, and making it work well for awful (then betamax) I've recently gotten my HTC One X back from repair and should now be able to do that, I think.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I'm having issues opening this thread in the app: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3488991

The thread used to work but no more, when I open it I get the loading bars which appear, fill up and then disappear quickly, and the screen remains white.

I've cleared the apps data but it didn't help.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Huh guess I should have checked on my desktop. I was reading that thread from the bginning and had about 3000 posts to go. Guess some drama happened or whatever.

In any case that clears things up. :)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Papercut posted:

This app is fantastic and I really appreciate what it does, but one feature I wish it had was a way to disable swipes for page navigation. I can't use the app one-handed because at least 50-75% of the times that I'm trying to scroll down the page, it thinks I want to go to the previous page. I've tried being meticulous about only swiping vertically but it still wants to go back a page. I may just be a clumsy oaf.
Boy have I got news for you!

Try the "lock scrolling" option in the settings.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Running 3.0.4 on my old 2.3 phone has an issue where if I'm reading a thread and tap on the drop down arrow I get two windows on top of each other. One is labeled "select an action", the other "thread actions" (iirc) both have the same options (post reply toggle bookmark etc.) but one has larger font.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sereri posted:

That's a workaround we had to put in place. Due to a bug with the Actionbar library we need for pre HC devices, the menu didn't show up at all and had to be emulated. So either they fixed whatever was wrong in the library and it found it's way into the latest version, or you're an edge case and'll have to deal with it for now.

Ok well this is my backup phone as my main HTC One X is broken yet again so I'll :dealwithit:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Just joined the beta. Unfortunately I can't try inmersive mode but the new menu structure looks to be a huge improvement.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I've been getting a bunch of crashes with the new version as well. I haven't really paid any attention as to when it crashes so I'll keep a lookout. I've sent some reports though.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sereri posted:

Sorry, I totally missed those crash reports for some reason.

Fix for the crashes is uploaded to GP, apk here. Hope that'll help until I figure out what's actually the problem.

Grabbed it from the GP. Many thanks for the quick fix, we'll see how it goes. :)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Running the latest G+ beta I haven't had any crashes yet. :)

I did find a bug, as the unbookmark button from the drop down in the thread view doesn't seem to do anything at all.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Aleph Null posted:

Sometimes Awful shows the page count as something like 258/1 (instead of 258/259 or whatever) and nothing updates. I can't view any pages or refresh anything. I have to exit it and relaunch it from the shortcut.

It's happened about once a day for the past three days.

Yeah, me too.

Does the bookmark/unbookmark work for anyone when using the drop down menu ij a thread? (long press in favorites works though)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

zokie posted:

Can you only use one phone at the time? I'm in the midst of switching from a note 1 to a 3 and while I get the glue glue glue after logging in I get a not logged in error trying to do anything on my new phone...

Yeah you totally can. I suggest clearing the app data and trying again.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I recently got a new phone, HTC one m8, and it has a few different fonts. I set it to Helvetica because I really like it. Everything in the app is in Helvetica except the thread view.

Can it be made to use the system font instead of whatever it uses now?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sereri posted:

If you select Default as your font it should use helvetica. If it doesn't, :shrug:

Nope, I even tried different themes and turning off the force yospos/fyad checkbox.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

So the forums have been lovely lately, and while most of the problems have gone away, it's still slow sometimes. (like right now)

This makes awful very frustrating to use, practically unusable. While it's not really the fault of the app, I think it could be made to work better.

Maybe you could up some of the timeout values or something? It loads on a browser but not in the app because the timeout in the app is wayy lower I think.

So, please make the timeouts longer so the app becomes useable again with the current state of the forums. Thanks.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

MisterBibs posted:

Yeah, I've noticed this too. The app gives up after a few seconds, whereas the browser'll keep trying for long enough that it'll load.

I've switched to something.apk, I prefer the interface of awful but something just loads the pages instead of timing out after 7 seconds or so. This means that when the forums are slow you have to wait a while, but you're not stuck having to hit refresh again and again hoping the server reply falls within that magic 7 second window.

So in short: it can be done, something.apk does it.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Any idea why avatars/emotes don't load on 3G? They load fine on WiFi. Externally hosted pictures also load fine.

there's a checkbox for disabling loading of images on wifi only in the settings, is that enabled?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sereri posted:

:confused:

Also I just noticed the development thread was archived because no one posted in it since march. Speaks for itself pretty much.

If there are no problems with the current beta I'm gonna make some last changes, maybe steal Drastic Action's post preview implementation, and update it to the main version.

You upped the timeouts right?

I can't really tell because the forums are running okay again.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

When I try to attach an image to a post awful crashes every time.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sereri posted:

:psyduck: As far as I can tell this was always broken in KitKat. Patched Beta going out.
Sweet, thanks!
I almost never use attachments so it's the first time I ran into it on my new phone. Previous phone was pre-kitkat.

quote:

I also looked into the font thing you mentioned earlier and I can't get it to work in the thread view, it always defaults to Roboto.
I'm not sure how to read this sentence. Do you mean you can't reproduce it, or you can and you can't fix it?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

If I use accented chacacters like ï ë ö etc they come out all hosed up.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Now from a browser: ï ë ö ü etc...

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sereri posted:

Weird, I could swear there was a commit from someone fixing exactly that.

I, uhh, blame that guy

I think it's a regression because unless I'm mistaken it was working a couple of versions before.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Möjïbäkë. :greencube:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Will the möjîbãkě be fixed soon? :)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I've discovered a new bug.

Sometimes when I open a thread from a link in chrome, that thread then becomes stuck somehow and everytime I open the app that thread is the one that shows. It's really annoying.
Clearing cache fixes it but it's a PITA.

It might be only with archived threads or something idk.

This thread is now stuck in my app:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2137510

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

inkmoth posted:

Try spamming the back button a whole bunch of times. I had this exact problem, and someone else in the thread said to try this, and it immediately went away.

Hey cool that worked, thanks!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Möjïbäkë reminder :greencube:

Edit: if you edit a mojibake post the mojibake reproduces itself!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

spankmeister posted:

Möjïbäkë reminder :greencube:

Edit: if you edit a mojibake post the mojibake reproduces itself!

Test

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yes please please fix the mojibake.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Möjîbàké tëśtíng

Thank you for your continued efforts with this app. :)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ulvir posted:

Thank you, awful app guy, for letting us scandinavians write to eachother properly again! :smoobles:

same but dutch

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ümläüts üp ïn thïs bïtch

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

MasterSlowPoke posted:

It's happening to me too. He said to fix the reloading, disabled YouTube embedding.

i did but if there's youtubes on the page it jumps around annoyingly until they are all loaded

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

There have been some general issues on the availability of SA depending on where you're located. it might be worth testing with a regular browser and posting your issue in the technical thread in qcs

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

A problem I've been having for a long time is that when a post has a code block with lines that are longer than the width of my screen you have to swipe it to read everything but when I do that it most of the time the normal side to side swipe action activates (i.e. back and forward).

If I'm really careful and do it in really short nudges it kinda works, sometimes. But usually it doesn't.

Am I doing something wrong or is code block scrolling just hosed?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Images now always open in a browser instead of giving me the options when I tap one. I might have accidentally tapped "always open blah blah" or whatever, or it did it on its own.

In any case, how can I get the default behaviour again?

e: nvm I got it :downs:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

anthonypants posted:

Settings -> Apps -> find the app you're talking about -> scroll down -> click that button

Yeah, I found it in the meantime, thanks.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ephex posted:

Idk if this is an issue with the app or Android, but when I paste links into the provided img tags it adds an extra space in front and at the end of the link that I then have to manually remove which is annoying.

I have the same issue but I also don't know if it's the app or android itself.

Do you have an HTC by chance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Whoaaa I just got the new look. Looks really good. Not sure I like the refresh ball thing though