Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm getting lockups like that in a few other apps as well, so I'm going to blame webview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Edit: Wrong thread.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FYI, Google added "Recover Storage" to the web UI for photos. This allows you to convert your previously uploaded full quality photos to the unlimited 'high quality' option.

That's really nice when you have a ton of promotional storage that may expire in the future.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Sereri posted:

You posted in the wrong thread, didn't you.

Sigh....yes.

But also no (see above).

I was going with the flow of the conversation and not paying attention to where I was.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

One thing I noticed that if you toggle the ratings off, the space where the ratings would go remain blank rather than the thread title expanding to fill the space.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Came across an interesting one today. If I play back a gif, I can no longer scroll. I mean, I can, but then it just jumps right back to the same spot.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

They already are?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Why is your Tab S2 only on 5.1.1, I'm pretty sure Nougat finished deploying to all Tab S2 versions by now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

This fall Google is going to require apps that are updated to target 8.0 Oreo. That doesn't mean that they can't support a minimum API level that would accommodate much older devices, but it does mean it can get more difficult to support older versions.

Basically, think of it this way. An app that was targeted for 4.4 can keep doing things the 4.4 way even if the behavior was charged in later Android versions. That itself isn't changing. However if that app gets updated after Nov 1st, it will have to switch to the Oreo way of doing certain functionality on a device that supports Oreo (or, say, the 6.0 way of doing something if that hasn't changed between 6.0 and 8.0.)

At that point, the dev might be faced with supporting two different versions of the same functionality within the same app which can get costly. I'm not really sure if that will be the case with the Awful app, but it's something to be aware of when shopping for cheap devices on ancient Android versions.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, my guess is that it's a side effect of dropping TLS v1.0 support at the hosting end. Some cursory searching suggests that TLS 1.1 and 1.2 are available between 4.1 and 5.0, but require custom code to utilize and even then may have compatibility issues based on ciphers and types of SSL certs that might be in use.

So yeah, very likely a change is hosting that would require an extensive change in how the images are being fetched in the app to fix.

This likely isn't the only app that's going to start breaking due to the PCI mandated SSL protocol deadline.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I think the lack of real API would make that not possible. Generally, if you can't do it in the web interface for the site, the app can't do it either since it's an HTML scraper.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's funny also because the Pixel 4 was the greatest departure in design language since the line started going all monotone back and square camera bump.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

This is in no way an actual request as the app has been something amazing that's been done for free, but has there been any plans to update large screen layout now that Android tablets may actually be a thing again?

The current tablet layout really isn't more useful than the phone layout since you can't really interact with the posts when you switch back to the thread list. I'm looking at the way the Awful iOS app works where the thread list (or bookmarks) are docked on the left hand side in landscape and you can just select threads that populate on the right side. You can quickly switch between threads using your left thumb and scroll and refresh either side independently.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Do you has have Outlook installed? It likes to do that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

I do but I rarely use it anymore, I could delete it, it was for school but I graduated.

However, I've had it installed since 2017 and this is the first time I've had this happen with the Awful app, I use highlight to search dozens of times a day.

Outlook is kinda random on when it tries to assert Bing dominance. It'll be there, then not, then in a different place on the list.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm pretty sure I've seen the issue pop up on my iPad Mini as well, so it likely has nothing to do with the app and more likely twitter being twitter.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Wait, so we have an update coming at some point that adds Material You theme'd icon support? If so, that's very welcome news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Whoops, thought you were talking about Android in general.