Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Since updating I can't get into the menu on individual posts to edit/quote. I was sent here from another thread to seek assistance. Any tips? Things I can try?

Edit: This was on a Galaxy S8, but updating Chrome seems to have resolved it for me.

armorer fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I had that issue, and posted a few pages back about the Chrome update fixing it for me. I tend to keep wifi off, so my apps end up not updating as much. As to the header, clicking that would cause the post header/avatar to expand as normal. Clicking the '...' menu whether the header was expanded or not had no effect. It did not cause the header to expand for me. I had to tap in the header but not on the '...' menu for that to happen.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Likely I am just blind and stupid, but I don't see how to make a new thread using the Android app. Help?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
No but seriously, where is the control for it supposed to be? I would expect to see the pencil icon that I get for "reply" in a thread view, but it's not there. If I navigate to a given forum I see no way to create a new thread. Should the pencil be there? Is there supposed to be an option in a menu?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Nth Doctor posted:

I see you have forums plat, have you picked up AppPlat yet?

I don't know what that is, so no.

Edit: If that was a serious question, I don't see any app specific platinum upgrade in the app or on the website.

armorer fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 1, 2019

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

LastInLine posted:

You guys are mean.

There is no way.

Thanks. Any particular reason for that decision?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
It seems like an odd feature decision for a forum. Is it not readily supported by the forums API or something? Prone to abuse or misuse?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Roll Fizzlebeef posted:

Threads posted from a phone would be unlikely to be good is the main reason, if I recall correctly.

Fair enough. So :justpost: from a computer

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

LastInLine posted:

There's no API, the app just scrapes webpages as they're generated and presents them in a mobile-friendly format. The original reason was that threads posted from a phone aren't likely to be good, but now the reason is that it's a bunch of work to do and no one's done it and since this is an app made in a couple of people's spare time, that's a good enough reason.

To be clear, I'm a software consultant, so I'm asking from that perspective, not from the perspective of a disgruntled user. That's 100% a valid reason for the feature to not exist.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Korthal posted:

Is there a way to make new threads using the app?

No, I revealed that I, too, did not read the first post when I asked on the last page. Folks rightfully had some fun at my expense as a result.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

pokeyman posted:

Thread creation is exclusive to the iOS app. Pay up if you wanna be op, op.

Yeah good loving luck.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Wouldn't the awful thing be to just have it log you out?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Internet Explorer posted:

Sounds like a very high priority fix.

The software developer in me loves this reply so much.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I tried it and had no problem as well, for whatever that's worth.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Cheesus posted:

I'm a dumb android 12 user who this morning fat fingered my "choose how to share twitter link" to select Always in embedded Twitter and now I can't figure out how to undo that, to allow me to choose again my sharing destination.

Ideas?

This isn't an exact answer to your question, but it may help you find the thing you're looking for? https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/edit-clean-androids-share-menu-root-required/ If it's not there, it may be an option under the app specific settings in the apps screen.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Wow I've been using the Dark theme and didn't know there was an even darker theme. Just switched to oled!

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Hipster_Doofus posted:

*~5 hrs later... *

ok you're trying to take over the world by proving that you actually deserve to run it aren't you?

I too was super impressed by that little sequence of events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Sereri posted:

Heh, the bug tracking tool sent me an email with the error message, it was easily googleable and the fix was trivial. If only all bugs were like that :v:

"Here, specific forum user with a very specific hardware setup and issue, try this custom apk I built for you."

That's service, whether the issue was minor or not!