Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

This is pretty drat rad, and loads pages really fast too. Thanks very much!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

LastInLine posted:

I'll have this done tonight or tomorrow. Edit: This is a pretty bad rat's nest. I'll definitely have it by Friday, but probably won't get done tonight.

I win! (I'd already started though)

I basically tried to group things logically and keep it to one submenu per section, so it's easier to find what you're looking for.

Forum Settings - was called Thread Settings, but since it really affects how the forum level looks I renamed it. Holds all the settings for how the thread lists are sorted and what gets displayed.

Thread Settings - I threw most of the stuff in here, it holds all the settings for how posts are displayed, highlighting, spoilers, links and videos. Image settings were a separate submenu but I think you could just have them as another section like here. I separated embedding and hardware acceleration as the former's more of a content preference, the other is more a performance tweak (it went in Look and Feel).

Theme Settings - no change here. Might be worth keeping separate, especially if it's going to be expanded? Maybe font type should be moved since font size is in the thread settings menu. I can see why it's part of the theme, so maybe font size should go in there with it, instead of in the thread settings.

Look and Feel - crap name, basically the overall app interface, navigation options and performance settings.

Account Settings - ...stuff about your account.

And the other doodads at the end. It's worth mentioning I'm on a phone, so I don't actually know what some settings do (like the layout options), so maybe they should go somewhere else. It's a starting point anyway!

e- also hopefully I didn't miss a submenu :negative:

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 25, 2013

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

LastInLine posted:

I like a lot of this. A couple niggles:
  • Disable GIF animation should be in Thread settings > Image preferences as it directly relates to images.
  • Theme settings > Choose layout does nothing for me, leads to a radio button for simply "Default".
  • Can we get rid of "Show next page button at top"? Seems ridiculous.
  • What is Look and Feel > Thread layout? I can't find it unless it refers to Theme settings > Choose layout.
  • Scroll thread with volume keys needs to be renamed to "Scroll with volume keys" as it scrolls more than just the thread.
  • It seems that by definition Theme setttings should be under Look and Feel.

You're also right that Look and Feel is a terrible name.

I picked Look and Feel so people would be inspired to think of a better one :v: it's really more of an app UI and performance tweaks section. That's why I put the GIF settings in there too, since I think the main reason people turn them off is to save battery life. It would be nice to have an option in both places, but if I had to choose (which I did) I'd put them in the technical options bit, not in the general graphics section.

Same with me for the Theme settings > Choose Layout part - I don't know why it's there or what it does, so I left it. Same for that Look and Feel > Thread Layout option - it's in the main menu right now, below Hardware Acceleration, but it's greyed out for me because I ain't got a tablet. Maybe it needs to go somewhere else.

Thanks for the feedback too, I looked through yours and I see we're generally grouping things the same way (sometimes implicitly, like I put the UCP options together at the end of their section). Really I just like the idea of trying to keep all the pure presentation options together, split into sections for each view since there's a lot of it, and treating the Theme menu as the section for the overall 'look'. If there's going to be more control over that in future it might make sense to keep it separate.

Then I threw everything else, performance tweaks and navigation controls, into their own bit. I like the idea of discoverability, so if people are (say) getting bad battery life they can look at the menu and instantly jump into the technical submenu and see options for disabling things with a note about how they help with battery and glitches. But so long as the whole thing's logical and people can look at a short list and understand where they need to go, that'll do

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Sereri posted:

The thread items are 2 lines by default and can still be wrapped.
vs

If you're open to redoing the attractive new posts indicator so it's smaller (and less attractive), and use a slightly smaller font to make the lines shorter, you could probably save a bunch of vertical space, like zis

I only did the first two, just a janky moving around in Photoshop but you get the idea - icon on the left, then on the right you get the thread title up top and a line of info stuff below, sort of like it is right now! Really it's taking the space reserved for the unread posts marker and moving it to the other side for the thread tag.

The second thread has the text shrunk to 90% to fit longer lines in. The unread marker does fit but it might look better tweaked. If you're up for this kind of thing.

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Sep 27, 2013

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Sereri posted:

Not too happy about the unread counter.

Well I just moved it, I didn't actually change it. I was thinking some kind of redesign that would better suit it being in the 'status line' or whatever. Like as an example

Really it's more that horizontal space is at a premium, and you have a large area (with a lot of empty space) dedicated to that one counter. Sure it looks nice, but it costs ya

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Really minor thing I noticed, when you swipe left and right between the different views, it's super slick and smooth until you swipe back to the main forum list. There's this tiny glitch partway through that makes it catch. I looked at the logcat and I see this happening
code:
09-27 17:47:09.657: I/ForumsIndex(8424): Load Index Cursor
09-27 17:47:09.688: V/ForumsIndex(8424): Index cursor: 944
I can't profile it but I'm guessing this is what's causing it to pause? It's weird because swiping to a subforum view is completely smooth, the main forum view almost never changes but it has that stutter every time

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Here's a GNex

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Sereri posted:

Well, it looks alright on my 4.3 emulator and the GNex I just borrowed.

I haven't had this happen on my GNex (stock 4.3 and all that, market version of Awful) but I have sometimes noticed a black horizontal bar across the dark grey background (dark theme) while the page is loading. Just a temporary glitch and it doesn't stick around, but seems like something is going on in there in the background

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Sometimes when the thread view slides over I see avatars floating in space for a split second, so that might be connected. I just saw the stupid newbie one doing it so it's possibly gif related?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

anthonypants posted:

I wonder if that's the Loading Failed popup thing.

I think that's just a Toast, they're drawn separately by the OS

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

You can style them up, like this
http://chrisrisner.com/31-Days-of-Android--Day-15%E2%80%93Toasts
(at the bottom)

It always makes me think :frogbon: should be next to all the info toasts

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 21, 2013

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Forced animated background of raining gold coins from a Geocities page

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

If anyone thinks any settings are in a stupid place/have stupid names and has any suggestions, fire away! There are length considerations (for smaller screens) but that's probably all you have to worry about

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I'm really leaning towards the idea that the boxes are a memory issue, with the webview losing blocks of rendered data or something along those lines. I've seen it happen in Chrome too, but only rarely and after using a pretty heavy page.

Switching apps might cause a clearout, which would explain why the boxes disappear (the missing content gets re-rendered), so I'm wondering if more aggressive memory flushing would work. Looking at a lot of threads means a lot of webview graphics data being generated.

This is all completely idle speculation, I'll see if I can find anything out (and try Sereri's patch) when I unbreak my heart Android Studio installation

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Well 4.4 uses an updated webview, so that's probably why it only seems to pop up on older devices. Could be all kinds of wild stuff though, it's a hard bug to reproduce - but it does happen in other apps that use webviews, soooo

TraderStav posted:

Am I missing an option to highlight messages that quote me or is it not implemented in something? Thanks!

Highlighting sub-menu in the Posts section is where you get to feel special

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Ohhh sorry, I read that like 'not implemented somewhere'

Confusing names!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

This is what happens when you enable the secret 'post new thread' option. I hope you're happy!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Sereri posted:

It's been a while since I implemented that but if I remember right you can only freeze it at the first frame. Or whenever the browser feels like while loading. It's one of those I forgot which.

I think it's when it feels like it, because whenever I see Suspicious Dish's avatar it's always a different character. On the plus side, it means every emote is recognisable sometime!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

^^^ That's probably my fault :shobon:

Thermopyle posted:

OK, I think Sereri gets it. You all can stop piling on the poor guy who made this free thing for free.

Yeah no kidding - it's pretty much one person in their spare time trying to make the forums experience better for everyone, juggling a bunch of legacy code and trying to keep everything working for older devices too

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Gif blocking's a performance tweak so it's in the Advanced menu

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

What's a spoiler look like again

e- what's the problem you're having? Making spoilers block stuff out, or what?

Going off the default css file, this should (ideally) be what you need to tweak

CSS code:
section.postcontent .bbc-spoiler{
background: #828282;
}

section.postcontent .bbc-spoiler * {
visibility: hidden;
}

section.postcontent .bbc-spoiler.spoiled {
background: transparent;
}

section.postcontent .bbc-spoiler.spoiled * {
visibility: visible;
}
Really the background colour at the top should be all you need to change (that's the spoiler box), the rest of it handles making things appear and disappear appropriately. That's from the latest code anyway, assuming spoilers work on the normal themes? I'm still on a super-old version for no good reason :ohdear:

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 16, 2014

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

That makes your spoilered text (permanently) black, if that's what you wanted? (It might not affect revealed text though)

From what I assume anyway, the sections go like this:

CSS code:
section.postcontent .bbc-spoiler{
  /* this section controls the box that holds the spoilered stuff */

/* here it just sets the colour of the box */
  background: #828282;
}

section.postcontent .bbc-spoiler * {
  /* this section controls the stuff IN the box (see the * in the definition?
     It means everything within bbc-spoiler, under it in the hierarchy) */

/* here it makes all the stuff invisible */
  visibility: hidden;
}

/* these two sections are the same as the two up there, except they control
   how the 'revealed' version looks */

section.postcontent .bbc-spoiler.spoiled {
  /* hide the background colour, i.e. make the box itself invisible */
  background: transparent;
}

section.postcontent .bbc-spoiler.spoiled * {
  /* make all the stuff IN the box visible, so it appears */
  visibility: visible;
}
Not tested any of this bla bla bla. Really you shouldn't need to change any of that except the colour of the box, unless you're doing some wacky extras

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Aug 16, 2014

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

What happens if you remove that "color" line? And do you have any lines with !important in them (which kinda forces an override), especially ones involving visibility?

It might be worth putting the whole thing on pastebin or something

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I keep meaning to fix my Android Studio install (I was using Awful to try it out) but I can never seem to find the time, that's my poor excuse. I need to make it happen

I wonder if the size of the project scares people away? My first impression was that it seems kinda sprawling, with a lot of interconnected classes (some of which are huge) sometimes with bits of functionality spread across several of them. Obviously it's kinda grown organically instead of being a tightly managed project, but it takes a fair bit of analysing and following code paths to work out what's happening where and what depends on what, what this callback is doing etc. Once you get the general idea it's fine, but there's a lot to learn before you can start poking around

(This might be true of most open source projects I don't know!)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

You monster

Well with 1.0 out and hopefully no more dependency hell (gradle hell) I'm trying to move out of Eclipse, so I'll try and get back with helping out where I can.

I'm not an official Galaxy Nexus-haver anymore, so I can't try and test the black box thing, but did you ever try manually clearing the webview cache on every new thread page load?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Sereri posted:

Thank you for your opinion. I will take it into consideration.

Now come on, don't discourage the Awfuler fork project

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Hey Sereri, how come the project is still using old versions of gradle? I just tried importing into AS 1.0.2 and it's saying gradle 0.14.1 is outright not supported anymore, and that I should update to gradle 1.0.0. I have to do it manually and some other things still don't work, because honestly I have no idea what I'm doing with gradle and wrappers. I have to import it as a non-Android Studio project anyway, since it thinks the wrapper isn't configured for the project (even though there are wrapper files in the top folder), I don't know if that's breaking anything

Basically any tips would be good if you have them, this might be throwing off other people who want to play with it too (probably hundreds of them). Am I ok using a newer version of gradle for everything, or will that cause problems? It looks like some of the build files need rewriting, or something

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Ok I got gradle working, I guess y'all just don't pull any of that fancy updated stuff eh

kalstrams posted:

Also, code blocks scroll like an rear end to a side, if you view some really long code line in portrait mode on Nexus 5. It scrolls like a letter or two sideways with a swipe, so if you read programming posts you look like playing some game on your phone.

I added an option to make fixed-width text (like in code blocks) a lot smaller ages ago, which Worked On My Device but obviously doesn't on my N5. I've worked out a fix for that anyway, doesn't help with the scrolling issue but it does make it so you don't have to scroll so much in the first place

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Sereri posted:

Mostly because I have done gently caress all since around mid-december, didn't even manage to merge in the changes someone sent me.

As for the rest, I guess the problem is that Awful considers your tablets a phone in portrait and a tablet in landscape and switches between to 2 modes when you rotate. I suppose we need to change the way we detect tablets.

Ah right, I'm guessing it was only a small version bump anyway and they just decided to make it obsolete. I thought AS 1.0 was meant to put all this fuckery behind us, but I guess not!

Also what did you say the lowest API version you want to support is now? 14?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Kassad posted:

Can't be the problem, I've also got a Nexus 4 running 5.0.1 and it doesn't overheat like this.

Didn't hooah replace his non-user-replaceable N4 battery recently though? I mean we need full disclosure here!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah I'm not saying it's a definite problem, just fairer to let people know if you're looking to troubleshoot, y'know?

You could try going into Developer Options in the phone and turn on Show CPU Usage or whatever, and see if anything in the app gives you spikes. There'll be a lot of activity in there in general, but if you watch the app process you can see if it's really hammering the phone at any point. As far as I know green is the app, red is kernel/OS stuff, and blue is disk activity

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

search for butt posted:

Still cant post topics with this dumbass app

Yeah you can

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

CrashCat posted:

What do you hit to bring it up? The three dots thing disappears in the thread list on my phone version, is it supposed to be in there?

Nah you fork the app and add the functionality yourself, if you're mad about it like certain other posters in the thread! There's pretty much a handful of people doing all the work here in their spare time, and the forum code is apparently a nightmare even for the site admins, never mind for people writing parsers and app functionality and who'll get blamed if anything anywhere in the chain goes wrong and someone gets banned

Anyone can get involved and contribute, or just roll their own special snowflake version if they want, if they're motivated enough. Otherwise you'll just have to wait, and you might be waiting a while, that's just how it is!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

That's apps for ya

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Where's the latest git commits, obama??

I'm way behind and sometimes I go to fix a thing, and then I remember there's a secret advanced version somewhere

Also am I right in thinking the webview CSS markup is pulled direct from the forums? So that, say, trying to style the text on a particular part of a post relies on the forums HTML giving it a useful selector? I was trying to fix font sizing so that (especially) code tag text could be smaller and more readable, but changing the necessary things whacks some other text like usernames and the like, and I can't see a simple way to access them and put them right

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Black Box 2: The Samsunging

Do you get it with Chrome? If you kick the app out of memory, does it take a bunch of browsing before it shows up again?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Sorry about that accidental pull request, saying I have no idea what I'm doing with Git is an understatement

Finally got everything rebased and up to date though - this is looking real nice guys. Real nice!
(yeah I only just realised there was a current branch, I was still on the old version)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

This is an exciting test post

And an exciting edit

! :wow:

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 11, 2015

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Sereri posted:

Concerning the current beta: I'm still not entirely happy with the icon for changing the PM view to the "sent items" folder. At the moment it's just an arrow to the right but I'd like to find a better, more obvious icon. Google has a preview version with all icons here, though it's slightly outdated ( here is the current 50Mb zip file with an updated preview). I'd love your input.

How about the 'call made' icon? The one you see in the dialer to show outbound calls, from the communication section here
http://google.github.io/material-design-icons/
It already has that association with outgoing communication, and you could have a subtitle saying 'Received PMs' or whatever with the incoming icon, so that describes what you're looking at and helps you understand what the outgoing icon means.

There are some weird icons on that page, what's with all the airline seats in various tilt positions :wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Did you just change your posts per page settings at all?

If you did, try quitting the app and then going back in