Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Currently you can only edit the theme by modifying a CSS file that I don't remember the location of. If your theme looks screwy, reset to one of the presets. There are nice looking options in both dark and light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

-Anders posted:

Yeah I might give it a shot, I'm still learning c#, so I might go java anyway. What's the preferred IDE for java/android development?
You have three options:

Eclipse - The old dog, reliable but lacks some niceties, feels a bit dated to me.
IntelliJ IDEA - A lot of people have switched to this now, I find some of the keybindings infuriatingly stupid but otherwise it's a really nice IDE. The first Java IDEA I've used which feels anything like as good as Visual Studio.
Android Studio - Google's own branch of IntelliJ, it's a beta so has a few issues but does some nice Android specific things. I use this at home for my own projects where I'm fine with being on the bleeding edge.

Come ask in the Android dev thread if you want more detail, people will happily argue about this all day :) .

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hey santa baby posted:

Thanks for saying this much better than I could have. Thread tags have very limited function. Please don't make them more prominent at the expense of the title text.
If the unread tags were to move down to the line with OP/LP/pages then there's basically the same amount of space for the title as there is on the current version. See baka kaba's mockup above.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For what it's worth I think Awful (Android) looks kind of silly on the default theme. Sort of childish somehow. The blue and white gives it a kind of edutainment look. And those iOS screenshots have the same effect on me.

With a dark theme Android looks excellent though.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I also think similar things about the desktop version of SA, so there's that.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Your image URL is missing the extension:

Try resetting your theme settings by changing to a different one (and then back again, if you want).

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Geirskogul posted:

You do if you want to copy them directly instead of going to them.
On the current release they pop up a menu on a tap. If you don't see that you can reset the default behaviour in the app's settings.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm getting that too. Infinite refresh loop on any page with a YouTube video.

N5 on 4.4 so maybe Chromium WebView related.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Looks like I have both of those issues too (N5).

Also confirming that disabling embedded YouTube fixes the refresh issue.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Avatars seem fine now, probably just a connection issue, will keep an eye out though.

Edit: I am dumb and made this post from my N7 which obviously isn't running 4.4. It's actually still broken. Emoticons show an empty square and some avatars are just blank.

I also tried turning GIF animations on and the phone seemed to get pretty hot but that wasn't a very scientific test. Apparently the new WebView runs in a kind of compatibility mode unless the targeted SDK in set to 19 so maybe that'll fix it.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Nov 6, 2013

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

Does this mean that 4.4 devices can use GIFs without trouble?
Correct, the N5 doesn't seem to suffer from battery drain with GIFs enabled.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ihmemies posted:

Trip report from 2.3.31 on Nexus 10 running 4.4: everything still seemingly works, but the lag while scrolling seems to be gone. I assume this is thanks to the new webview :)
You probably had hardware acceleration turned off, my N10 has never had any kind of lag in Awful.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

anthonypants posted:

I was going to say goldmine.css, but I guess there isn't one like there is for the gas chamber. Instead, there's .forum_21 stuff in the forums.css. Maybe you could check for that?
Sereri is asking for ideas on how to indicate to the user that the thread has been goldmined/gassed (i.e. the thing Hadlock asked for), not how to detect it.

I'm struggling to think of a good way. Thread title colour?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

I'm pretty sure that has to be the app icon.
By default it is, but you can trivially override it to be anything you want.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think the jarring part is the way it shifts the whole page down slightly. Obviously the Action Bar has to move down but maybe the page could stay where it was.

Actually that might be pretty difficult to do.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I was just looking through the docs for Immersive Mode and it looks like we could use SYSTEM_UI_FLAG_IMMERSIVE_STICKY to avoid the jumpy resizing behaviour when toggling the bars in Immersive Mode.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why don't we just hide the Action Bar entirely in Immersive? It's only a flick away and I'm sure most people spend a lot more time reading the content than starting a new (unquoted) reply. This is also what Google suggest.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Google's Play Newstand is a good example of an app that uses full screen left/right paging with swipes and also has a Navigation Drawer (hamburger menu), and most people probably have it installed, so check that out if you want to see how it works/feels.

Edit: Maps also does it but it's a little different since you can drag the map in any direction.

Edit edit: Actually the Play Store itself is another one.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just swipe the entire page to the side, there's hardly any reason to ever use the Back button in Awful.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Confirming that Something.apk is sexy as hell.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sereri posted:

Interesting. Problem is that (unless I'm mistaken) there is no indication how many pms are in your folders. Do you have a special message in yours?
I think it's the other way around. If you send a PM and the recipient's inbox is full, you get a message to tell you that instead of the "PM sent" screen.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ryanbruce posted:

Android L has an odd issue with the thread reply count.
This has been mentioned before but since it's an OS preview release don't expect a fix.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Croisquessein posted:

I thought the reply thread button was always that right top button with the three dots?
The three dots is the Overflow Menu. If you have an old device with a menu button, it doesn't show up unless you press the menu button (because otherwise you'd have two buttons doing the same thing). Basically, tat's how Google say it should work.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

Apologies for not adding more info to the original post.

For statistical analysis: I'm using a Galaxy S4 on stock Touchwiz, and never needed the overflow menu before this version.
Well it says right there in the quote that "it has been moved to the overflow menu". Which you can quite reasonably say that you dislike, but that's why it has changed on your phone.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Actually, Google now says it should always show up because dedicated Menu buttons are a bad UI decision.
Google said that the button is dead and shouldn't exist on modern devices at all. On previous OS versions the old rules still apply, for what should be obvious reasons.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Thermopyle posted:

You can get the HTC Zoe app now . I don't know what it works on, but the play store says it's incompatible with my Moto X.
Compatible with my N5 but not my N7 4G or N10. Didn't actually try it though.

VVVVV Damnit, I didn't even check.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 15, 2014

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Separately, ever since I accidentally opened the Awful iPhone App thread this afternoon, Awful keeps reverting to that thread each time I open the app, even though it isn't bookmarked.
Try mashing the back button a lot. Or just Force Kill it.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

spankmeister posted:

Am I doing something wrong or is code block scrolling just hosed?
It's a long-standing bug related to the fact that left/right swiping pulls in the thread/forum index. The workaround is to scroll up/down very slightly first, and then left/right (without releasing the touch).

The fix for this is probably to have code blocks appear in an dialog, similar to how the Stack Overflow app handles them, but nobody has got round to it yet since it's fairly low priority.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sereri posted:

Another thing I've wondered is, there are quite a few people with an Android dev background on SA, some posting in this thread. Is there a (possibly solvable) reason why you are not contributing? Is it :effort:? Or more of a 'I don't want to do stuff in my free time thats like what I do at work' kind of thing? This isn't supposed to be some sort of shaming or something, I'm genuinely interested if there is anything I can do to get more developers onto Awful. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post answers here.
So I'm a "professional" Android developer in the sense that I spent the last year making GBS threads out a terrible mobile banking app while working for a terrible mobile agency while our terrible management ignored us and then I quit. I switched to Something so that's at least part of the reason I've never touched this, but it's also just that I'm lazy.

I spent a few months making a WebView do things that nobody should ever make a WebView do (because "security") and other than that I'm fairly comfortable around front-end and activity/fragment stuff. I didn't do much work on networking or services but I could learn.

If you can suggest something specific that needs doing I could maybe take a look at it.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Angry Birds Suicide posted:

Why is "go to page" gone?
Tap on the page number.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hooah posted:

I already said I understand that. But I wasn't aware this view showed +1s, since otherwise it seems like the Science on G+ number would be a lot higher:

You are right and that poster is dumb.

Also G+ is dumb and shows random things, no idea, sorry :/

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Although that one was attached with no prob, apparently
When attaching an image to a forum post there is a lag before it shows up, it's an issue with the forums itself and can't be fixed in Awful. It does work, just give it a minute and then refresh.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Drastic Actions posted:

Thread creation also works on my Windows Phone/Windows 8 apps too, but I don't know if anyone other than myself actually has done so :v:.

Edit: Wrong quote!

Breath Ray posted:

Aha. Well why don't you forget the MD changes, put the Post option in, and make it a freemium app (lurking only without upgrade).
Lowtax (or whoever) is not keen on any of the forum apps being paid given that they actually strip the adverts off the forum.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Feb 26, 2015

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Drastic Actions posted:

Which is why mine (and I'm pretty sure all the other ones) are completely free and open source. Not sure what that has to do with what I said :confused:.
Sorry, was trying to quote the guy above you!

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ryanbruce posted:

Pay me five bucks/page and I'll read a thread for ya.

Ten and I'll do it sensually :quagmire:
Lowtax won't let you charge for this unless you also read out the adverts.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

site posted:

With how long threads can get, is there any particular reason why fast scroll isn't enabled and is blocked from being enabled through xposed module for forcing it on?
I haven't looked at the code for years but I don't think threads use ListViews.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

site posted:

I dunno poo poo about programming but I'm assuming this is why it doesn't work on the Something app either.
Yeah, pretty sure Something uses a WebView for the threads.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Longbaugh01 posted:

I apologize if this has been previously mentioned, but just a heads up that it looks like the "code" bb tag makes long non-word wrapped text impossible to read using this app.
Scroll vertically a tiny bit and then you can scroll horizontally. It's because the side menu eats left/right gestures.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not diagonal. Just scroll up (or down) a tiny bit so that it starts to scroll and then without releasing your finger you can scroll left/right as much as the screen width will allow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sereri posted:

Concerning the current beta: I'm still not entirely happy with the icon for changing the PM view to the "sent items" folder. At the moment it's just an arrow to the right but I'd like to find a better, more obvious icon.
The one from Gmail is pretty nice, has a sort of arrow/plane thing going on.

Only registered members can see post attachments!