Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

This is easily the most used app on my phone. Now I can read the forums and poop at the same time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Dark One posted:

A really slow-loading page seemed to break the CSS in the app until I killed it:

This happened to me as well on a dark theme. Switched to a normal theme a day could see the text, but the formatting was still screwed up until I force closed the app.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sereri posted:

I have hunch of why it is, but not how it happened. Did you follow any links to that or anything?

Now that you mention it, yes I think I was following a link from another thread in the Awful app.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sereri posted:

Anything else? Still can't get the app to do it.

Sereri -

Actually, it just happened to me after replying to the thread. Is there anything I can do to help you troubleshoot it? I have a rooted Galaxy Nexus running stock. I think I can do whatever fancy logging is available.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Much like your posting.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

SERERI FOR PRESIDENT!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I have a small request. Is it possible to add a confirmation dialog to removing a bookmarked thread? With the toggle bookmark option being the option that is dead center when you long-press, I seem to accidentally remove bookmarked threads fairly often.

Also, thanks again for the app. With how hectic my life has been I end up surfing the forums more from my phone than from my desktop, and the app continues to work beautifully.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I think there used to be a setting under Thread Settings to remove the Last Post By and Number of Pages. Did that get removed or am I just imagining things? I like to have it setup that way and I cleared my app data while troubleshooting and can't set it back.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, the bookmark button being an extra click away isn't awesome, but on larger phones (Nexus 5) it means you have to browse with two hands.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Other than that one guy who was pretty clearly trolling, I don't think anyone was being demanding. They were just providing feedback. I think it's pretty clear how much everyone appreciates the app.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Just want to say, 2 years later or whatever, that this app is still awesome and still by far my most used app. Thank you so much for making it and maintaining it. Still wish I could buy you a beer.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Bi-monthly posting say I love this app and you're my favorite poster, Sereri.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

New update is slick. Thanks for letting us disable FABs as having that post icon there was annoying. In thread view the option to disable multiple line post doesn't seem to work, they are still multiple lines when I turn it off. Also is there any way to hide the information like number of pages and last poster? I generally don't care about that and just like having a nice clean list of threads.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the new update! This app has always been my most used app by far.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sereri posted:

Sorry, I picked the long weekend with the bank holiday monday for release but then got sick and didn't have much time this week.

Multi line is only for the forum index page now (hence the "Wrap forum titles").

You're allowed to be sick / not work on the app, it's not a job. :)

I'm not sure I understand 100%, but I guess my question is can I disable multi-line on the bookmarks page? If not, could you consider that as a feature request. Thanks again for all of the hard work!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

baka kaba posted:

You mean like a single ellipsized line?
Here is some long-rear end thread title wow ju...
vs
Here is some long-rear end thread title wow
just wow

I noticed that too, it should be a 16dp margin by the guidelines, but it looks like it's inset into the post area by the same amount. If it were 16dp from the edge it would probably line up against the border of the post area and look a bit weird, so it might have been a stylistic choice/compromise

I would prefer the thread title get cut off rather than wrap to the next line. Obviously, I am not saying it should be the default, only it would be nice if it was an option like it used to be. I browse from bookmarks on my phone 99% of the time and I already know what thread it is by the first 40 characters or whatever. I think there are quite a few people who do the same thing. And yeah, like Sereri said earlier in the thread an option to remove the number of pages and the last poster would be cool, because I don't think most people care about that sort of thing. Just an option, not the default. Both options would make browsing bookmarks easier.

Thanks baka kaba. I am sure Sereri appreciates the help. And we all appreciate the new shininess.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So loving lazy.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

maniacdevnull posted:

Does anyone else have seemingly random lockups in the app? Not entirely sure what's causing it, but it happens in my Nexus 5 and Nexus 7, so I don't think it's a hardware thing.

Yeah, when I am scrolling down and hit a gif it will sometime lock up.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I do, but on my "locks up while scrolling down and loading a gif" issue it doesn't crash, I have to force close the app by opening recent apps and swiping it away.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Just had the lock up whole scrolling down with a gif playing bug. Waited long enough and it let me submit a crash report. Should have my forum name in it. Hope it helps!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

spankmeister posted:

Stop using Internet Explorer

But I hear it's much better these days!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

And if that was the case your comment about the changes in the app giving you a panic attack are completely unnecessary. But couple that with the fact that you never update the app and it's so bad you're asking for an old version... Take your meds? Or get better meds? It's a crazy world out there and the Awful app UI should be the least of your concerns.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

spankmeister posted:

Whatever it is you're doing to "fix" it is purely coincidental.

Someone should totally add a "reboot database server" button to the app that just refreshes the page.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Looks like there's one for gifv/webm as well. Thanks Team Barry!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hat Thoughts posted:

This app is good, thank you.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That's usually a bug when the forums are acting up. With the changes last night I wouldn't be surprised and I am noticing it to. It's not just the app.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Anyone else been having a bug where hitting next page will cause the page counter to increase and mark the page as read, but the actual content of the thread does not move to the next page? Has happened to me a few times. Stock Nexus 5x.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Squizzle posted:

Try loading another thread, to see if it changes behavior. When this happens to me, it displays the same page not just for other pages of the same thread, but for other threads entirely. To load a new page/thread I have to go to the app switcher, fling Awful off, and open the app again.

It's the only showstopping bug I encounter, but I get it at least once/day. It seems to happen on very image-heavy pages, or ones where I've played a few embedded YouTube videos.

Same thing happens to me. New thread doesn't help, have to close the app and reopen.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I mean, waiting how long? There's no loading bar or anything and as was just said, going to another thread still has the contents of the page it got "stuck" on from the previous thread. Does not seem like a waiting / slow loading issue.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

baka kaba posted:

Like I said, if there's a webm playing on the page it won't update with the new page's contents until the video finishes (or reaches the end of its loop). There might be some other stuff going on that causes a block too - I had something where a YouTube video wouldn't play, but then it did, and I had to wait for that. It needs testing though

But there's definitely a reproducible issue like this, and it's nothing to do with slow loading or anything. I know it looks like it's hanging but it isn't, and if you can wait it'll update eventually. Most of the webms people post are basically short clips anyway, so they don't take long to loop

Yeah it sucks and maybe sometimes it's quicker to just close and reopen the app, but I just want people to know what's going on and how you can deal with it, until it's fixed

Sorry, I somehow missed your post. I'll keep an eye out for that and see if it is what I'm running into.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

baka kaba posted:

Like I said, if there's a webm playing on the page it won't update with the new page's contents until the video finishes (or reaches the end of its loop). There might be some other stuff going on that causes a block too - I had something where a YouTube video wouldn't play, but then it did, and I had to wait for that. It needs testing though

But there's definitely a reproducible issue like this, and it's nothing to do with slow loading or anything. I know it looks like it's hanging but it isn't, and if you can wait it'll update eventually. Most of the webms people post are basically short clips anyway, so they don't take long to loop

Yeah it sucks and maybe sometimes it's quicker to just close and reopen the app, but I just want people to know what's going on and how you can deal with it, until it's fixed

So yeah, my issue with threads not loading is definitely this. It doesn't always seem to "load" after the webm finishes playing though. It's kind of awkward, hope you guys can come up with a fix for it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I know it was a few weeks ago, but big thanks to whoever fixed the page loading issue when there was inbedded webm or gifv or whatever the issue actually was. That was an annoying bug and it's nice to have it fixed.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I think it used to work and maybe stopped working after the way links were handled was changed? Just going off of memory, not 100%.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Not that it's the same, but you should also get an email from the forums when you get a PM. So that specific problem of inky using the app shouldn't be too bad, as long as you have emails from that account going to your phone.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sereri posted:

Well for starters, that's not a menu item.

Also, the forum display is properly hosed without thread tags again. Good lord.

Yeah, that was going to be my complaint. I keep thread tags turned off, because to me, it just wastes space. But yeah, it still wastes space when it's off. :-D

Thanks for the awesome app, though. I feel like I used to post in here every few weeks just saying thank you, but it's been a while... so thank you!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks Team Barry!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

But I have to do two clicks instead of one! :kingsley:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I haven't been getting loading failed messages, but in the past few days I have clicked on a topic and had it so nothing. Closing and reopening the app then has that thread's posts marked as read. So, sounds similar. Maybe I'm just not being patient enough to get the error message.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

baka kaba posted:

Does it happen on wi-fi or a particular mobile connection or anything? Have you tried logging out and back in again? Or clearing data if nothing else is helping? Kinda hard to pin down why one or two people are having an issue

My issue gets fixed as soon as I close and reopen the app. Has probably happened 3-4 times in the past 3-4 days. I have not tried logging out and back in or clearing app data, but if closing and reopening fixes I'd imagine so. I know for sure on mobile, will pay more attention and see if it happens on wifi.

Sereri posted:

Have you tried accessing the forums in a browser (mobile chrome)? Does it show you captchas?

Have not tried, but I definitely will next time. Are they throwing captchas at us now? Multiple connections from the same IP or something?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Seems perfectly reasonable to me.