Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
After using this thing for like 5 years I just noticed you can't make threads with it, why can't I make threads??? :gas:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I'm gonna fork this and add thread creation and sell it for $1000 and license it as GPLv3, suck on that!!!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

There used to be a Firefox extension I used that added all sorts of bbcode stuff to the right click menu or something... I'm a little fuzzy on the details as it's been many years since I last used it. I do remember I was really disappointed when it disappeared.
It still exists and was maintained as of last year, though I don't see any updates this year:
https://github.com/astral-sa/salr

There is a chrome version here but it's definitely unmaintained:
https://github.com/scottferg/salr-chrome

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

LastInLine posted:

That's the old Chrome extension. The current one is here:
https://github.com/MasterOdin/salr-chrome/
Oh poo poo nice, thanks!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I have similar concerns but in the other direction - I live in Brooklyn, an extremely ironic place, so I need to display some amount of countercultural iconography in order to avoid funny looks. This knock off Pepe doesn't do it for the folks on my subway commute - do you think the next version could have an option to display a picture of the fuhrer himself on my home screen?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Automatically saving a draft and then prompting the user the next time they go to post in that thread seems like the way to go. (It can offer to use saved post, or delete saved post.) It preserves back-button behavior while not losing posts.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

That doesn't fit my usage at all - if I just wrote something, I'm almost always inclined to keep it, otherwise I wouldn't have written it. It's a rare thing to truly back out of even the idea of a post while writing it, at least for me. It takes walking away and coming back for me to realize that something is better left unsaid, or the discussion has moved on and that's when I make the decision. I'd say 80+% of the time, my decision of keep vs discard will change between when I hit "back", and when I hit post again in the same thread.

The thing that best fits my use-case would be auto-save on "back", auto-restore if it's "recent" on post, and prompt if it's "non-recent".

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 29, 2017

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I think you write a patch and a pull request....it can't be done at the moment.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

+1 for such a feature

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Wasabi the J posted:

I love how this thread consistently finds a new issue to dog pile onto. A month ago it was the announcement notification.
...what? When bugs/issues crop up, people report them? That can be hard to come by. People like reading tweets and they don't like reading in-app advertising.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

those frog pictures suck...if you gotta change the frog, change it to pepe

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Please fix it so cookies are properly sent in embedded iframes once more. This broke at some point earlier this year so they show me as not logged in. I realize you have no examples of embedded iframes to look at, and to that I say, sorry???

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Sereri posted:

What does embedded iframe refer to in peticular? Youtube videos? Tweets?
Reports :eng99:

That's why it's hard to show you. Mod only features should be lowest priority tbh but they used to work. Fair enough if google has mucked with webview permissions, not much you can do there. I could provide a sample of the iframe html in question but I know you can't really test it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

The app seems to be jumping to the last read post whenever it regains focus. Most of the time when I'm reading a page it's for the first time, so it jumps to the top post because it's not marked read yet even though I've scrolled past it.

This is particularly bad if you do anything involving switching back and forth between the app and another app, because you gotta scroll every time.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I'm not paying $5 for some stupid launcher so I can get the real icon back!!!

Consider my request official:

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Bring back the frog you cowards! :argh:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Lobok posted:

I don't know how anyone could stand not having YouTube videos be embedded but I guess Reddit is pretty popular so what do I know.
I bet not having them embedded is pretty good if you also don't click on them.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I do wish there were a way to force refresh the forum list, I've come into several new forums on my list and I just have to wait until the app decides to refresh to browse them conveniently. Bookmarking a thread in there and using the sidebar works as a stopgap.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Yeah, my post here was a result of a conversation in the Android thread, and shortly afterward I was reminded of the Insert Imgur feature.

Still, if that site goes the way of the waffle, God forbid, or gets banned from here like Image$hack, then the request will be less moot.

I did just fix up the script to make waffleimages work again from the existing mirror, at least in firefox. See the waffleimages SAclopedia article. It makes browsing the archives a lot nicer. It'd be cool to have that in the app but also it might be nice to ask the mirror owner if that's okay first. (Who is that you might ask? No idea.)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Daztek posted:

If it's not in the list, go to Settings -> Forum index -> Force a forum update
......Good to know

I've been using bookmarks to get to not-yet-listed forums.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

edit: nevermind

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

The most important missing mod tool is making new threads :getin:

FWIW the app shows me the edit button on every post, does it not show it on C-SPAM posts for you?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah the probate button is added with javascript. Let me see if there's an element that only shows up if you're a mod. (Frankly if a post is not yours and has an edit button, it could show the probate button too. You won't be able to probate yourself but hey.)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Try looking for the modqueue_ctl div, or even just the script line at the top that includes modqueue_ctl.js.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Specifically I set the account to probated from the panel instead of going through the mod queue. Sorry if that's confusing. I was testing a change to show the "probated until" time in your local time zone.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I changed the code on the forums side to report the time in your local time zone, instead of CST. I guess maybe the app was already correcting for this and is wrong now?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I'll look into it - a few more tests on my end are probably in order.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I changed the code on the forums-side to show your own local time instead of always showing CST. Is the app trying to itself convert it into another time zone?

Can you check to see if you have the correct time zone and daylight savings time settings in the edit options page in the browser?
https://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=editoptions

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I believe it will also now show 12-hour time if you have that configured - you might have to parse an "AM" or "PM".

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Sereri posted:

Can you give us the new date format string?
It's vbdate, the exact same format used for post times, if you're already handling that.

Exposing the unix timestamp is a good idea but would be central time. Would you do the time zone conversion yourself based on like, the time zone the phone is configured to?

EDIT: okay I clearly missed that post from last time where you addressed this, can read now

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

hooah posted:

It's very low on the list of priorities. Like "if you want it, you can code it" low.
free title changes for like, a month if anyone takes you up on this!!! :D

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

You can mark things seen with a get request and I assume the app can access "https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=setseen&threadid=3571717&index=6659" like anything else can. The index would either use the the number of replies + 1, or a really big number, enough that no thread has that many replies.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Does the app do Instagram embedding? The website does not and I am of the opinion that it should not. I think it should be removed for liability reasons. I don't know who of the poster, the spp developers, or the site will be ultimately liable if the app embeds something without the creator's permission, but it's a bad situation.

See this article:
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2020/06/instagram-just-threw-users-of-its-embedding-api-under-the-bus/

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Please make an option to do theming based around which css include is present in a thread (list) instead of a hardcoded mapping so I can apply styles to forums and automatically propagate them to the app. byob.css, fyad.css, and 219(a).css shouldn't be too hard to scrape for right?

If you add threads I'll give you, uhh, I dunno, some avatar certificates?? Everyone likes avatar certificates.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

please also make the app detect when you quote someone and write a really angry response to them - it can then pop up a window that says "buy this rear end in a top hat an avatar???" and the only button is yes

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Maybe we could export the number of categories somewhere and you could use that? They it'd work seamlessly if we tweak this again.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

vortmax posted:

I just discovered you can't close threads with the app. I had to go to the actual site. No big deal, but I'm reporting the bug.
We did recently change how this works a bit.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Sereri posted:

So as far as I can tell, the problem is that the forums use the BBcode tag to determine the class, including case for some reason.
:stare:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Nth Doctor posted:

What, you don't want to render [b] and [B] differently? Bold and Bolderer?
this could be <b> vs <strong>

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

It seems kinda weird that that's a tap menu at all - I don't think anything would be lost if you had to long press to copy the url of an image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Red Warrior posted:

FYI I was having this with my 3 last year before I got rid of it, and carefully scraping out around the socket with a toothpick got a lot of compressed lint out that was stopping cables from clicking in all the way.
Same with my pixel 1. Had to do it twice even. USB-C is vulnerable to pants lint, it seems.