Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
There are the css files that define the current layout (here: https://github.com/Awful/Awful.apk/tree/master/application/assets/css). However, modifying them on the phone is a royal pain in the rear end, so it would be totally rad if the html that the app actually displays was available somewhere for testing purposes. The browser version of the html seems to be different -- i.e. if I use the browser version of the forums html here: http://cssdesk.com/, and try to use one of the css files, it doesn't display like in the app.

So, does a test html file that has all the relevant elements exist somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

Salvador Dalvik posted:

Just out of curiosity, what do you think of the new default theme and what made you revert to the classic version?

Way too much wasted space. After removing all the padding in the css it looks OK though.

e: Should add that this is on the phone. Things may be much roomier on a tablet.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

404notfound posted:

Unread threads show the OP instead of the last poster (is that intentional?),

I also just noticed that, and wanted to say thanks. It's almost as if the app knows what information I want there. Spooky!

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

gmq posted:

An easier way to test custom css would be nice though, maybe an example thread page html hosted somewhere?

I knew I was just not saying it right.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

XIII posted:

For the record, the thread tags you had in the last alpha were awesome and I miss them

Yeah, I remember some talk about square thread tags in the last thread. I haven't actually seen them, but from the description it sounded like they would occupy the whole left end of the thread title. This would take space away from the thread title text, making it so that fewer threads fit on one page.

I can't speak for people on tablets, but as far as the phone display is concerned, and also for the record: Boo! I'd take no thread tags over this nonsense.

Anybody got a screenshot so I can be properly outraged at this awful disgrace?

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

baka kaba posted:

I win! (I'd already started though)

Forum Settings - was called Thread Settings, but since it really affects how the forum level looks I renamed it. Holds all the settings for how the thread lists are sorted and what gets displayed.

In Forum Settings, under THREAD DETAILS are the things that get displayed under the thread title in the forums view. Perhaps there could be a "Smart [ ]" option that has the current behavior where unread threads show the OP and read threads show "killed by." That way, the other options can be made rigid (since this seems to have confused some).

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

Sereri posted:

I've compiled a zip for css testing.

Just drop your file into the css folder, press the button at the top and enter the .css file name (eg yospos.css).

It's probably best to test with a webkit browser like chrome or safari since that will get the closest results but I guess Firefox should be ok too.

Note that the img .avatarCorner tag will be removed by the end of the week and that colors on your screen will look different on your device

Thank you for this.

Also thanks for posting the square thread tag screenshot earlier. It looks like with the square tags there will be less space for the title text, so count me as a vote against. I remember pestering SD in his Geekner period to allow linewrap of thread titles so that one could see the full thread title in forums view (I think it was him), so this is to me a step backwards.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

LastInLine posted:

I still just hate it. There's no reason the thread title, which is really the thing I care most about should be squished to the middle and thread icon (which is banner shaped already) can't be underneath with all the metadata about the thread itself. I don't like that it makes fewer threads visible at once and I don't like how much importance it gives to the thread icon which I don't really care about.

That said I know I'm in the minority but if it were to become the default I'd just disable the thread icons to have the additional title text room back.

Thanks for saying this much better than I could have. Thread tags have very limited function. Please don't make them more prominent at the expense of the title text.

Some ios devs may care more about being ornamental, but users on small phone screens are better served by showing the full text, the thing that actually changes from thread to thread. Without having to jump through hoops.

It's good to know that the title text can still be wrapped.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
holy poo poo it's faster. thanks for the awesome placebo dude.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
Been seeing this for a while now, not sure when it started. I assumed it had to do with the phone, interesting that other people see it too. Version 3.8.1.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

Sassafras posted:

Someone actually snuck in a bit of a backdoor, I dunno whether it was server-side or in the app.

If you send a "private message" to "?forumid=219", for example, it'll post a new thread in that forum.

before you go crazy with this, please try it first with the test forum ?forumid=26

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

Carbon dioxide posted:

I vote for a function in the app that automatically hides posts with tiktok links in them.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
Any reason why as of today twitter embeds when i click on them open in the web browser (chrome) and no longer in the twitter client (fenix)? p4a and android 12 if that matters. updated all apps, restarted, makes no difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

hooah posted:

Probably the link associations for Fenix got reset if it updated recently. It's a really dumb thing that Android 12 does.

OK digging around in the default app settings i found twitter links uncheckboxed for fenix. Rechecking them fixed the problem. thank!