Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I’m reading these articles and stuff like “I was told that if I got the part, I’d have to work out.”

is spun into

“Bay forced Kate Beckinsake to lose weight.”

The recurring theme in the articles is that these minor interactions prove the secret truth of Bay’s movies: “male chauvinism that’s reflected constantly in his films. (Life imitates art imitates life, etc.)”

“As Bay gained clout in the industry, the women in his films became more and more scantily clad, his camera training on their glistening bodies.”

And so-on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I’m reading these articles and stuff like “I was told that if I got the part, I’d have to work out.”

is spun into

The recurring theme in the articles is that these minor interactions prove the secret truth of Bay’s movies: “male chauvinism that’s reflected constantly in his films. (Life imitates art imitates life, etc.)”

“As Bay gained clout in the industry, the women in his films became more and more scantily clad, his camera training on their glistening bodies.”

And so-on.

Okay, ignore that one instance then. What about the letter? Or Fox's account of his behaviour? You can read that for yourself.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Michael Bay rules

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Hand Knit posted:

One of the main things that Bay is interested in in all his movies is men looking at women as possessions that, by being possessed, affirm their masculinity. Australian rally car guy and Mark Wahlberg are competing for ownership of Mark Wahlberg's daughter throughout the movie. It's pretty similar to the dynamic between Ben Affleck, Bruce Willis, and Liv Tyler in Armageddon, except this time taking place in the Transformers late capitalist hell world.

Australian?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Arquinsiel posted:

Australian?

Isn't he?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Michael Bay is probably a gross dude, I don't think I strongly need to believe he's a Good Guy to appreciate his completely misanthropic robot fascism. His movies are definitely grotesque.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

is spun into

And so-on.

This is what I got out of it too.

Fsmhunk posted:

The 'letter from the cast' he put up on his website is completely disgusting. The part where he says she has a lower back tattoo because of a 'bad childhood' is so loving nasty.

It was bad taste, but it did come after Fox publicly calling him Hitler and a hopeless loser.

Slutitution fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 19, 2019

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002
Transformers sure like hanging out with Jailbait.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
you don't gotta stan for someone who is serially cruel and dismissive of women in order to appreciate the nihilistic intentionality of his work.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
Michael Bay's new movie is going to be a $150M netflix film with Ryan Reynolds starring with the intent to start a franchise. Even he can see the writing on the wall with traditional studio distributors given the advent of streaming services.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Slutitution posted:

Michael Bay's new movie is going to be a $150M netflix film with Ryan Reynolds starring with the intent to start a franchise. Even he can see the writing on the wall with traditional studio distributors given the advent of streaming services.

He's probably still going to make that Robopocalypse adaptation after this.

The Netflix movie sounds interesting, though. It's about rich people who secretly become soldiers.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

DoctorWhat posted:

you don't gotta stan for someone who is serially cruel and dismissive of women in order to appreciate the nihilistic intentionality of his work.

The one article does everything it can, within the confines of libel laws, to suggest that Bay goes home at the end of day and privately jacks off to images of a fully-clothed Megan Fox.

Even assuming that’s true, which of course it isn’t (the article is banking on the reader not knowing what a screen test is), it’s bizarrely wholesome.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

TLK is awesome because Prime is a spiteful dick.

Prime: I must destroy Unicron to save Cybertron!
Megatron: I also must destroy Unicron to save Cybertron!
Prime: DEATH TO CYBERTRON DEATH TO QUINTESSA AUTOBOTS ROLL OUT FOR FREEDOM

Are you 12

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Nope, he's Irish.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Arquinsiel posted:

Nope, he's Irish.

Well poo poo.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The one article does everything it can, within the confines of libel laws, to suggest that Bay goes home at the end of day and privately jacks off to images of a fully-clothed Megan Fox.

Even assuming that’s true, which of course it isn’t (the article is banking on the reader not knowing what a screen test is), it’s bizarrely wholesome.

It is pretty wholesome to ogle a bikini clad 15 year old.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fsmhunk posted:

It is pretty wholesome to ogle a bikini clad 15 year old.

Wasn't she like 20 when she made TF1?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Rhyno posted:

Yes. There are bizarre fantasies of Bay as a despotic jouisseur.

In the second article Fsmhulk posted as evidence of harassment, model Rosie Huntington-Whitely describes shooting an underwear commercial in the desert. She had to do a runway strut for 10-12 minutes while wearing underwear, and it was hot.

Article title: "This Is What Happens When You Meet Michael Bay For The First Time".

That decontextualization is used to generate a narrative that Bay randomly abducts women and strips them nude or something. The writer even throws in brief decontextualized quotes where Scarlett Johansson calls him "merciless" and Frances McDormand says that Bay knows how to manipulate American men. So the spin on the existence of underwear commericals is that Bay is constantly raping women for the gratification of toxic American masturbators.

Now, the point here is not to be uncritical of the modelling industry and so-on, but "objectification" is not when you see a bra. The goal is not to cover up bras. Objectification is when you cease to see models and so-on as workers. It's a term that grew out of marxist critique that was, as usual, appropriated by liberals to promote "ethical consumption" - divorcing it from its anticapitalist context.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Rhyno posted:

quote:

The first time I ever met him, I was 15, and I was an extra on Bad Boys 2. We were shooting this club scene, and they brought me in, and I was wearing a stars and stripes bikini and a red cowboy hat, and six-inch heels. And they took me to Mike and he approved it. And they said, ‘You know, Michael, she’s 15, so you can’t sit her at the bar and she can’t have a drink in her hand.’ So his solution to that problem was to then have me dancing underneath a waterfall getting soaking wet. And that’s… At 15 and I was in tenth grade. So that’s sort of a microcosm of how Bay’s mind works.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Just while we're discussing Megan Fox, Mickey Rourke described her as the most talented young actress he's ever worked with, so I look forward to some premium drama starring her in a few years, where we all go 'wow, Megan Fox is really good, who knew?'

Mickey Rourke knew.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Yes. There are bizarre fantasies of Bay as a despotic jouisseur.

In the second article Fsmhulk posted as evidence of harassment, model Rosie Huntington-Whitely describes shooting an underwear commercial in the desert. She had to do a runway strut for 10-12 minutes while wearing underwear, and it was hot.

Article title: "This Is What Happens When You Meet Michael Bay For The First Time".

That decontextualization is used to generate a narrative that Bay randomly abducts women and strips them nude or something. The writer even throws in brief decontextualized quotes where Scarlett Johansson calls him "merciless" and Frances McDormand says that Bay knows how to manipulate American men. So the spin on the existence of underwear commericals is that Bay is constantly raping women for the gratification of toxic American masturbators.

Now, the point here is not to be uncritical of the modelling industry and so-on, but "objectification" is not when you see a bra. The goal is not to cover up bras. Objectification is when you cease to see models and so-on as workers. It's a term that grew out of marxist critique that was, as usual, appropriated by liberals to promote "ethical consumption" - divorcing it from its anticapitalist context.

I agree with that last part, so surely he should treat the workers better and not act like a little tyrant, yes?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Surprising no one, Bumblebee has been confirmed as the start of a new Transformers cinematic universe.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Surprising no one, Bumblebee has been confirmed as the start of a new Transformers cinematic universe.

So the Michael Bay films aren't cannon anymore?

Lame.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Slutitution posted:

So the Michael Bay films aren't cannon anymore?

Lame.

In Transformers, everything is canon... somewhere.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I saw Bumblebee on the tail end of its run and I enjoyed it. Most important aspect of it was the fact that it didn't feel like an army recruitment video that happened to have Transformers in it. The military were, rightfully, one of the antagonists and constantly clowned on.

So them rebooting or whatever the series using that film as a starting point then I'm on board.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Based on others in CD are saying about Alita, Robert Rodriguez should direct a Transformers movie. He is apparently really good at well-coreographed robotic hyperviolence.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

The MSJ posted:

Based on others in CD are saying about Alita, Robert Rodriguez should direct a Transformers movie. He is apparently really good at well-coreographed robotic hyperviolence.

I found Alita kind of weirdly boring, but I will give you that it's all really clear to follow on-screen even when there's a half-dozen almost-robots with the same color schemes getting in each others' way.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Was John Cena supposed to be gi joe in bumble bee?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

MonsieurChoc posted:

I still want a whole movie based on this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y22PZjPRNI

That stood out over everything else imo. I love how Nitro Zeus kind of sounds like Macho Man Randy Savage.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
Megatron's design in The Last Knight is by far the best of any transformer.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Azubah posted:

Was John Cena supposed to be gi joe in bumble bee?

It wouldn't be a bad idea if he was.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Slutitution posted:

Megatron's design in The Last Knight is by far the best of any transformer.

Every toy of that design also ended up as the best movie Megatron toys.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Roadie posted:

I found Alita kind of weirdly boring, but I will give you that it's all really clear to follow on-screen even when there's a half-dozen almost-robots with the same color schemes getting in each others' way.

A lot of the weirder cyborg designs, especially the motorball contestants, also reminded me of several Bayformers robots.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The MSJ posted:

Every toy of that design also ended up as the best movie Megatron toys.

Hobo Megatron also got two good toys.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Gatts posted:

That stood out over everything else imo. I love how Nitro Zeus kind of sounds like Macho Man Randy Savage.

The entire crew reminds me of GWAR.

That would be a neat crossover.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Jimbot posted:

I saw Bumblebee on the tail end of its run and I enjoyed it. Most important aspect of it was the fact that it didn't feel like an army recruitment video that happened to have Transformers in it. The military were, rightfully, one of the antagonists and constantly clowned on.

Pretty sure Bumblebee had to have killed some of those army guys near the end. He wasn't glooping anybody like the decepticons were but he blew up a few vehicles right beside them and that can't have been good for their health.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

Hobo Megatron also got two good toys.

I agree, I just think TLK Megs' toys just have more that looks good, even some of the ones for young children.

Speaking of toys,

Glad to see the robo-vagina is still there.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

This might be true, but also:

https://www.cbr.com/transformers-last-knight-sequel/amp/

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

good lord this is one of the more bizarre franchises around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I love it. It's like if Nolan and Burton made Batman movies at the same time.

Then again, two concurrent movie series with mutually exclusive timelines is the most Transformers thing that could happen.