Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The beginning of the end, when named characters start to get killed off one by one with alarming frequency. It's like foreshadowing the title of the 4th movie, Age of Extinction. Ironically, with all the characters being eliminated in DOTM it was like a 4th movie would never happen unless a rebooting occurs. On the other hand, with toy sales reported dropping for DOTM it does sound like a Hasbro-mandated plot development designed to free the character roster to make way for fresher toys.

Speaking of which, here's a promo pic of Bay on the set of Transformers: Age of Extinction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Nah, I think the next movie Optimus finds a tribe of primitive robots (Dinobots) and then trains them as his hound dogs to dismember more Decepticons, in a not-so-subtle reflection of what he has been doing with his human allies all along.

The names of Age of Extinction toys have been leaked. Some possible spoilers there, including the mention of Galvatron. The codenames used to hide the toy identities are pretty great:
Adrian
Bruce
Duke
Ivan
Max
Paulie
Rocky

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I wish Bay would just cast all the other actors from Pain & Gain in this one. Wouldn't be the first time Dwayne Johnson is in Transformer either (he voiced Cliffjumper in the pilot of Transformers Prime).

And this is apparently another Autobot from Age of Extinction. It was allegedly spotted on a set crew hoodie. Notice the dinosaur-like details and you'll realize who it's supposed to be.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 26, 2013

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Uncle Wemus posted:

Wow that sword. Also did Labouf give up?

Sam's story is complete, and Shia is off doing other kinds of movies now.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

If you like some of the quirkier movie Transformers designs, check out this Hound toy from the new movie toyline. I saw someone speculate that it's based on the bearded Special Operations guys who was in Afghanistan.

edit:
Like this guy.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Dec 1, 2013

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

LightsGameraAction posted:

It turns out some weird little alien created Unicron as a sentient A.I. that grew too powerful or something. I forget exactly what the details were.

This is somehow less crazy then the comic books where Unicron is some sort of Satan analogue that literally came from another dimension together with the Transformers god Primus (Primus having transformed himself into the planet Cybertron).

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Age of Extinction will be the first film to be shot in full 3D IMAX.

quote:

Up until now, every feature film shot in full IMAX (of which there have been only a handful – The Dark Knight, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, The Dark Knight Rises, Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol, Star Trek Into Darkness and now The Hunger Games Catching Fire) has filmed with a 65mm 2D IMAX film camera. IMAX has a 3D film camera available, but most filmmakers find it too big and loud to actually use. (Star Trek Into Darkness is the only of those films to be exhibited in IMAX 3D, but it was post-converted.) It wasn’t until recently that IMAX created a 3D digital camera, which will allow 3D capture in full IMAX. The first filmmaker to use that is Michael Bay on Transformers: Age of Extinction. That camera is much smaller and lighter than the other IMAX 3D cameras and will be used quite a bit in the future. There is no 2D digital IMAX camera, but one is being developed.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Looks like we know what the Bugatti in Age of Extinction transforms into:

It's Drift-chan!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

If it is any consolation, I find that that the Skids and Mudflap toys are not really popular. I can still find some on shelves in toy stores.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

First trailer for AoE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zv6fVuvcHis

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Just look at how happy this guy is! I think his name is Crosshairs.

They are keeping a semi-organic aspect of the Decepticons: you can see the slime/drool on its.. mouth?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Well, if that did not make me more excited (other than Optimus-on-Grimlock and gun-face) I don't know what will.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

We get a clearer look at the new character designs.

Lockdown aka Gun-Face

Drift :nyoron:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

api call girl posted:

Literally Tokyo Drift :thejoke:

Yet he is a Bugatti. Transformers transcends the boundaries of human culture.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Here's some interesting Hasbro slides from Toyfair 2014:

I find that description of Age of Extinction's premise very amusing in light of this thread.

Hasbro thinks only boys play with their robots. They also seem to exclude most teenagers from their target demographic entirely, but this does fit a recent report that states toy sales have fallen due to the popularity of video games. And apparently, they think anybody who buys toys of characters not from the cartoon or movies (the Generations line) are automatically adults.

edit:
In case you think Drift is the only anime robot this year.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Feb 15, 2014

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

They tried to find the raddest looking dude they could find. They should've just cut to the chase and said "Boys 25+".

That would certainly fit the age group that would wear an "84" t-shirt.

Here's the face of Hound:

The toys have also confirmed that the Freightliner truck is Galvatron, the silver robot in the Superbowl trailer.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Milky Moor posted:

Decepticon with a naked face, Autobot with a mask.

"Autobot with a mask" is indeed interesting because the character bio on the toy packaging reveals that Drift used to be a Decepticon. He's obscuring his true nature, like the rest of the Autobots.

Lockdown's naked face is much more meaningful because his face transforms into a weapon in the trailer. He knows that he is a mechanical being, and a weapon on top of that.

Armyman25 posted:

Looks like they're referencing The Steel Helmet. Nice!

It's also a reference to Kup from the Transformers comics, but I can't deny that comparison either.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Poster with the other main character:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Sire Oblivion posted:

No he isn't, not for long anyway, that's his form when in hiding before he turns into the Western Star truck.

Gotta sell them toys. His Western Star form is the first one revealed anyway.

Here's another thing from the movie's website:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Weird copyright law fact: Hasbro cannot use the word "transform" on their toy packaging, so Transformers "convert" instead.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I found this comparison between Optimus' face in the Superbowl trailer (left) and the teaser (right):

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

This one shot from the trailer looks great. And also has a flag in it.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Here's the IMAX poster.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

New footage was shown at Cinemacon. I don't think it's anywhere online yet, but movie websites have written about it:

quote:

Stand Alone Film: Wahlberg says this film is much from the past three and can really stand alone.

Even Darker Optimus Pime: When government agents led by Savoy (Titus Welliver) arrive at the Yeager farm to apprehend Optimus Prime he opens fire on them. They describe Prime as more desperate and vulnerable than in previous films.

Lockdown - Bounty Hunter and Trophy Hunter: Lockdown seems to be heavily influenced by his Animated persona. In addition to being a bounty hunter he also collects parts from his prey to upgrade himself. They describe him as a old western style gunslinger in robot form.

Government Transformers: As we already knew the government has been working on their own Transformers. Stanley Tucci's character Joshua appears to be the lead scientist with a grudge against the Transformers. Kelsey Grammar's character Harold Attinger is the head of the government group hunting the Transformers still on planet. He is in control of Galvatron, which is speculated to be Megatron rebuilt by the government. The human controlled Transformers are apparently referred to as Avatrons.

Dinobots: Oddly not a lot of Dinobot information. They mention an actual dinosaur is shown in "Tree of Life" type moment. IGN mentions that Grimlock is present during the confrontation between Optimus Prime, the government agents, and Lockdown, which seems a little off timeline, an error on their part perhaps?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

New poster.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

What appears to be Hasbro slides from the Australian Toy Fair has surfaced online. It seems to confirm that another movie has been planned for a 2017 release date.

There are also some new concept art for the movie characters.

Hound's art is funny if you consider his toy. Reminds me of those muscular Luke Skywalker figures.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

That's from a simplified toyline, actually. The one meant for "boys 18+", and probably more movie accurate, is this: http://i.imgur.com/XY2Kx1H.jpg

Just be aware that some robots from earlier movies have modes that are present in the toys but not in the movie. That said, Grimlock is a significantly more iconic character so we might see that on screen.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I wonder who will direct if Bay moves on. Must be someone with a connection to him or Spielberg.

Sprecherscrow posted:

Wait final film ever or final Transformers? If the latter, well he said that about the last one. Which is part of what makes me think this one will be a lot different from the other one's because he was probably bored of the franchise going into this.

Bay apparently has a new scifi action adventure he's interested in possibly directing. Either that, or more movies like Pain & Gain. He did say he doesn't want some other director messing with his work.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 18, 2014

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Szmitten posted:

I honestly feel that if Snyder took over he would reboot the whole thing into something fans would find more palatable.

Just hand him all the James Roberts IDW comics for inspiration. I'd love to see IDW-based Swerve and Whirl in the movies.

Or maybe Hasbro will realise that James Roberts writes characters and dialogue like Joss Whedon and the inevitable happens...

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

For those disappointed you don't see more of Garbage Day in DOTM:

quote:

In celebration of Earth Day, we’ve partnered with Waste Management to bring you an exclusive reveal of a new toy based on a character from Transformers: Age of Extinction — Junkheap. Power Battler Junkheap features a crushing attack claw that when activated can turn Autobots into scrap! Look for this figure on shelves this fall.

There's just something great about Hasbro celebrating Earth Day by associating it with a movie Decepticon, especially after reading this thread. You can see him in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFXiTG2ffu8

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Voice actors for the robots have been announced. Aside from the familiar voices, highlights include Ken Watanabe as Drift, John Goodman as Hound and Frank Welker as Galvatron.

http://michaelbay.com/2014/05/08/john-goodman-and-ken-watanabe-join-the-autobot-voice-cast-in-michael-bays-transformers-age-of-extinction/

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 06:13 on May 10, 2014

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

New footage aired during The Voice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPmKZQ2HMqM

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Better looking version of that trailer, but with more Imagine Dragons:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hNxd3RtYrc

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Cardboard Box A posted:

Well don't forget Pain and Gain

Maybe the movie will surprise us and Grimlock is Dwayne Johnson the whole time.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Here's some interesting words about Drift's face from a toy review. Emphasis mine.

quote:

...his head is meant to resemble a kabuto of the typical suji-bachi style. His face is... odd. The mengu facemask on a samurai's helmet was often made to resemble oni or other terrifying monsters- Darth Vader's faceplate was inspired by such masks, as was Bludgeon's. Drift's face, especially in his package art, is a robot face designed to look human and goateed and more relateable than many of the faces we've seen on movie Transformers before. The end result of these influences colliding is very Lawnmower Man. With maybe a dash of Transmutate. On the toy, the face skews a little less human, which keeps it from falling facefirst into the Uncanny Valley. What it ends up looking like primarily is a facemask rather than a face.

The face of a monster.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 06:29 on May 19, 2014

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

That's.... actually really subtle and disturbing.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The attention to robot faces in this movie is unsettling.

I forgot to add that Drift is also described an ex-Decepticon. He's was a Decepticon and is now wearing a monster mask to hide his 'Con face.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

Do we know if he's an ex-Decepticon in this too or is that just speculation based on the IDW continuity? He might have been an Autobot all along in Bayverse.

It's also part of the movie version's official bio.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgJ2ldT_cgk

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Due to the World Cup, the movie's release is being rescheduled in certain countries.

http://apps.paramountpictures.com/movie/transformers/releasedates/release-dates.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Milky Moor posted:

TBQH, I wish they'd stop using OH MY GAAAAAD.

He's just filling the void Sam left in this series.

I love that Optimus has a two-storey sword slung across his back.