Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Welcome back! I'm really glad to see you're doing so well, and psyched for the return of the best goddamn thread in CineD (sorry handsome black actors thread, you have been kicked out). I'm really tempted to buy archives just to be able to refresh my memory on what went down in the first thread, or at least remember what points I made. Is this Lowtax's monetization strategy? It feels like one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Gammatron 64 posted:

It's kind of odd, but in transformers fiction across the board, they are only very rarely called transformers. They usually just say "Autobots", "Decepticons" or the more general "Cybertronians". That's not just the movies, that's almost everything Transformers.

"Transformer" feel more slangy, less of a proper name, more of something that a salt-of-the-earth rural guy like Wahlberg's character would say. It'd feel weird to hear him say, "I think I found a Cybertronian!"

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

The MSJ posted:

New poster.

Let's talk a little about how much this poster owns.

You've got this fanged terror monolith in the sky, contrasted with this pastoral landscape on the soft late-afternoon light. It's not a new piece of visual language in alien invasion films by any means, but it's one that's really hard to get right: the ship just looks like such an intrusion into the landscape. Everything else is softer, warmer, simpler, could easily be a Terence Malick shot if it wasn't so ominously interrupted.

Then you've got the two characters and their reactions to its presence: the rationally-informed flight response, and then Mark Wahlberg looking back, lagging behind, having to get pulled along by his daughter, because he's just so in wonder of this thing. It's a very concise visual statement: the arrival of this entity generates equal measures of majesty and terror.

Wanna get this Transformers poster. Want it on my wall.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not sure we're going to move away from being grounded in the common man when the trailer constantly plays up how salt-of-the-earth Mark Wahlberg's character is. Sam Witwicky was a strange figure as far as how relatable he was - he spent a lot of time trying to puff up his image in pretty transparent and unlikable ways, but that was largely a lead up to the brilliant, humanizing job search montage in DotM. The pathetic ego-padding, according to that montage, is exactly the kind of thing that our society claims is necessary to look respectable. It's a survival mechanism.

Cade Yeager seems like he's more honest, like he's playing that game a little less, like he's constantly wearing his blue collar frustrations on his sleeve. At the same time, though, the last character to cloak himself in working-man hero imagery in this series is Optimus Prime, the alien warrior king who dresses up like a big rig.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Leospeare posted:

Is it weird that I kinda feel bad for Linkin Park? I can just see them, sitting by the phone, asking each other, "Have you heard from Bay? Did he call yet?"

No it is not weird because Linkin Park are much better at making music than loving Imagine Dragons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Ha ha, you dumb fucker. Multi-year trap sprung.