Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

People who can't see the big picture really piss me off. If you go to a remote site that is reporting connectivity issues and you find that the ropey old Windows 2003 server that we didn't know existed and is handling DHCP and DNS has powered off because the UPS died, then the 'fix' isn't to just get a UPS swap arranged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

People who can't see the big picture really piss me off. If you go to a remote site that is reporting connectivity issues and you find that the ropey old Windows 2003 server that we didn't know existed and is handling DHCP and DNS has powered off because the UPS died, then the 'fix' isn't to just get a UPS swap arranged.

The fix is to P-45 whoever thought that the UPS is the problem

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

https://twitter.com/stevesi/status/1107915637077139456

microsoft just holding your email hostage nbd. And to be clear mail.app is awful, but i'd never hamfist my users like this.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Our security team is dumb (why yes I do keep mentioning this) and only mail.app or touchdown is allowed for email with our MobileIron config. gently caress you I actually want outlook.app, I don’t want the calendar integrated into IOS.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Symantec bought touchdown, then sunsetted it LMAO.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
I think a vendor is asking me to send PII over FTP. And sent me the password over unencrypted email.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I have 3 new users starting on Monday and not a single one of them has finished their onboarding.

All managers have been informed that if the onboarding isn't done, accounts don't get created.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

The Fool posted:

I have 3 new users starting on Monday and not a single one of them has finished their onboarding.

All managers have been informed that if the onboarding isn't done, accounts don't get created.

What’s the on boarding process ?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Filling out forms online in our HR platform and hitting submit.

Then some schlub in HR needs to click an import button.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

That deffo sounds like "not your problem".

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
How can you possibly be so disinterested in either 'your new job' or 'your new hires, that you presumably hired because you need them' that there's any procrastinating over HR crap

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

I'm a Java programmer, and the sheer amount of badly formatted code is annoying the hell out of me. Some previous programmer at my company hated using import statements so the full path names are in the main code body. Someone also must have had a line break fetish, as there are statements split over six lines pointlessly. I don't need to fix this from a business point of view, but I must mentally.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Things not pissing me off: We're a UK hospital and the IT budget it always stretched, but I just got my two aging 1440x900 screens replace with someone modern and decent resolution (for us). Making dealing with our EHR much nicer.

poo poo that's pissing me off: We're a UK hospital and because our testing team was lazy/terrible/both, they didn't fully run all the test scripts against a planned package and approved it for production. The package has now broken some key medication prescribing functionality. We so love doing package removals in the middle of the working day.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Fool posted:

Not pissing me off today; Our pending remodel, which would have resulted in me losing my office, is postponed until 2020.

Pretty sure that means you may as well consider it dead and buried without anyone losing face.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

the boss posted:

participation by all employees is voluntary and strongly encouraged

So do I have a choice about this or not? :thunk:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Yes! It's voluntary!! I strongly encourage you to attend!!!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

xzzy posted:

Your boss really wants everyone to go, but HR, Legal, or someone above them said they can't make you go. (I assume this is unpaid and not during normal working hours). Stuff like this I tend to go to unless it's happening often or it's something that I just know I'll be miserable during.

Going to a speech about how great the company is - there'll be booze I can make this work.
Going to a team building retreat for a weekend - gently caress you I quit

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

WhoNeedsAName posted:

BT trying to gently caress us over on cancellation charges for a fibre line that we're already out of contract on.

If all you've ever dealt with is American telcos, let me tell you a BT install will open your eyes. And your whiskey bottles. 90+ days to get an installation properly scheduled. The schedule will then change. Dealing with them once made me almost sympathetic to domestic carriers.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
We are at T+6 days late on the promised mpls circuit date from ATT. Shocker.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

You work for the Catholics, right?

I feel like we're all well aware of their policies regarding consent at this point.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Pissing me off:

code:
C:\>net use P: /d /y
The network connection could not be found.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2250.

C:\>net use P: \\file01dt\root
System error 85 has occurred.

The local device name is already in use.

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006
'net use' no arguments will tell you what it's connected to.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Filthy Lucre posted:

'net use' no arguments will tell you what it's connected to.

Yeah, there's no P:\.

That one included both my name and my employer, so I elected not to dox myself. :P

This is the second or third time this has happened. It'll do that until I reboot. Annoying, but not the end of the world. I have test and production applications that share the same drive mapping, so I remap them all the time (using a batch file, of course).

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
https://twitter.com/ap/status/1108775343274553344?s=21

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

mllaneza posted:

If all you've ever dealt with is American telcos, let me tell you a BT install will open your eyes. And your whiskey bottles. 90+ days to get an installation properly scheduled. The schedule will then change. Dealing with them once made me almost sympathetic to domestic carriers.

The last BT install we had they tried to run our fibre into the Covent Garden exchange, realized that there was no capacity and tried to delay the install by two years. We told them to attach their contract to the strap-on from Se7en and ram it up their arse. Magically they found that Clerkenwell had capacity and was actually closer to the office. Heaven forbid that when given the address of an office you'd look at a map and figure out where the gently caress the nearest exchange is.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Maigius posted:

I'm a Java programmer, and the sheer amount of badly formatted code is annoying the hell out of me. Some previous programmer at my company hated using import statements so the full path names are in the main code body. Someone also must have had a line break fetish, as there are statements split over six lines pointlessly. I don't need to fix this from a business point of view, but I must mentally.

Can you fix it to not Java ??

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

WhoNeedsAName posted:

The last BT install we had they tried to run our fibre into the Covent Garden exchange, realized that there was no capacity and tried to delay the install by two years. We told them to attach their contract to the strap-on from Se7en and ram it up their arse. Magically they found that Clerkenwell had capacity and was actually closer to the office. Heaven forbid that when given the address of an office you'd look at a map and figure out where the gently caress the nearest exchange is.

We've had them (Openreach) plan to the wrong node before (no spare fibres in the bundle) and delay things by three weeks.

Covent Garden exchange is always full.

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

We've had them (Openreach) plan to the wrong node before (no spare fibres in the bundle) and delay things by three weeks.

Covent Garden exchange is always full.

Why anyone would try to run a new connection there is beyond me.

BT Local Business in Glasgow have no way of contacting them for cancellations and complaints. You have to go through the sales/service team and they email the relevant department. Before that though you must perform the time honoured ritual of sacrificing an HSRP box, doing the sacred IVR dance and finally anointing yourself with several dozen bottles of Kelpie before they eventually grant you an audience. Also, the generic email address that they use is case sensitive! Who the gently caress does that in 2019?

Mind you Virgin installed their fibre above the server rooms floating floor in one of our offices only for the engineer to trip over the cable he'd just laid and not only break the fibre but damage the SFP port on the NTE.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

BT Local Business have such a weird relationship with actual BT that it's more hassle than it's worth to deal with them. The idea is that they pay a fortune/jump through hoops to use the BT name and take referrals, but they're not competitive in any way and the staff usually know gently caress all. I spent three weeks getting the details of a SIP trunk out of them for a client of ours.

I'm lazy now and I just go straight to Exponential-e when I need an ethernet circuit. It happens quickly, they're pretty competitive, the network performs etc. Can't really complain.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

First of May posted:

Apparently not one person in the accounting department can create new reports. So I get tasked personally by the CEO whenever he wants to see numbers. I'm the full stack web engineer.

So I dig into the raw database and pull out some numbers. Then I get asked why these numbers don't match accounting's numbers. Because I've never been allowed to look at accounting's reports to see how they do it. Did I mention that I wrote the CRM that everyone but accounting uses on a daily basis?

These numbers really need to come from accounting, I say. Then the CEO asks me for three more reports.

I cannot wait to get out of this place.

#fml

Dude, you missed a chance to put yourself in a way better place with this. "Well, I don't have any training in accounting, but I'll do my best! I'll be right back with an amendment to my terms of employment for you to sign, you know, since this is the kind of thing that normally people need to be licensed for, we just gotta indemnify me real quick from any legal or fiduciary malpractice that results from my completely unqualified participation. Then I'll email Bob from accounting straight away to tell him that you need him to come to my office immediately to collaborate; I'll CC you on it, but don't worry about it. I'll make it my first priority, I'm hoping it will only take us about $three-times-as-long-as-you-actually-need!"

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Eikre posted:

Dude, you missed a chance to put yourself in a way better place with this. "Well, I don't have any training in accounting, but I'll do my best! I'll be right back with an amendment to my terms of employment for you to sign, you know, since this is the kind of thing that normally people need to be licensed for, we just gotta indemnify me real quick from any legal or fiduciary malpractice that results from my completely unqualified participation. Then I'll email Bob from accounting straight away to tell him that you need him to come to my office immediately to collaborate; I'll CC you on it, but don't worry about it. I'll make it my first priority, I'm hoping it will only take us about $three-times-as-long-as-you-actually-need!"

Good luck. Most employee contracts/agreements contain the phrase "...and other duties as assigned"

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Proteus Jones posted:

Good luck. Most employee contracts/agreements contain the phrase "...and other duties as assigned"

This is true and trying to quibble about the wording of your contract is kind of pointless outside of a union setting.

However, being assigned new duties you are not comfortable with isn't something you just have to suck up and take every time. Sometimes just being candid and pushing back a little will mean that another available doormat will get it instead. Let someone else be the doormat.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Proteus Jones posted:

Previous job used that an excuse to make me down what amounted to a whole new position but without the title and pay. When I got promoted into another department they finally made the position official and put another person in there with the title and pay. These days I'm very defensive about this employers try to pull this trick.

For what's pissing me off. We're a small team that works remote. We have a weekly call on Fridays that goes for an hour for everyone to update everyone else on what happening in their corner of the company. I've been tasked with updating the weekly agenda sheet to try and summarize what everyone says. The big boss says they want it more accurate. I say on the phone call, "ok everyone to make this happen please email me a summary of the section you go over on the call so I can add it to the agenda". Boss didn't like that idea because they don't want the excuse of waiting on someone to email their section to me to hold up updating the agenda.

I explain that since I've taken over the agenda its gone from a two page document to 8 pages as I try to keep up with what everyone is saying. If we're wanting to make sure the document is more accurate and not worry about everyone emailing me a summary of what they spoke about then I'm going to need to record the calls. They didn't like that idea either for reasons not said. But I'm struggling to think of a way to be able to listen to 5 minutes of someone speaking and be able to summarize what they say and keep it accurate without losing a detail.

5 minutes of speech can generate 3/4 of a page of words. The context of a point that someone is making can change quite a bit towards the end of what they say its hard for me to keep that in my head and summarize it without losing detail. I'm not sure what to do here.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Eikre posted:

How did you know his name is Bob?

Anyway, my manager is pushing to let me examine the report accounting uses so I can at least scrape the right WHERE clause of finance codes and invoice types.

Anyone need a full-stack web developer with experience in marketing, customer portals, and custom sales CRMs? Willing to relocate once my lease is up in August...

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Proteus Jones posted:

"Oh, no, boss, I'll absolutely handle the other duties as assigned. Sorry if I miscommunicated, I don't want to update my job description or anything. But when I came aboard we just didn't set up for the possibility that I'd be participating in a scheme which has a greater than usual chance of producing false financial statements. It's okay, though, it'll take just like five seconds to commit to paper that you're totally okay with the potential liabilities and absolve me of whatever white-collar crime you might accidentally do, then I'll drop everything and get it done right away."

Weedle
May 31, 2006

poo poo pissing me off: our network map needs updating so I got a PDF of the current map and walked around all the classrooms marking equipment that had moved or been changed. I decided to give Microsoft Edge’s much-vaunted markup tools a shot and it seemed to be going great, until I reopened the annotated PDF to discover that roughly 80% of my annotations had disappeared completely. There are still fragments of my notes here and there but it’s completely useless now. Two and a half hours of work down the drain because I made the obvious-in-hindsight mistake of trusting this lovely browser to save my work when I press the save button.

Example:

The random marks in the bottom right used to say “Tchr PC”.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

About the accounting thing:

Just to be perfectly clear, this is because reports from accounting are different and but matching up with the ones you being asked to generate ?

I think everyone else may have a point: the magic phrases are "is someone (suspected of) embezzlement, are you building a case against them. Is legal all already involved , and I'm uncomfortable "

or is it more just someone being lazy/incompetent?

Iron_Chef
Sep 19, 2003
Chef of Iron

Coredump posted:

For what's pissing me off. We're a small team that works remote. We have a weekly call on Fridays that goes for an hour for everyone to update everyone else on what happening in their corner of the company. I've been tasked with updating the weekly agenda sheet to try and summarize what everyone says. The big boss says they want it more accurate. I say on the phone call, "ok everyone to make this happen please email me a summary of the section you go over on the call so I can add it to the agenda". Boss didn't like that idea because they don't want the excuse of waiting on someone to email their section to me to hold up updating the agenda.

I explain that since I've taken over the agenda its gone from a two page document to 8 pages as I try to keep up with what everyone is saying. If we're wanting to make sure the document is more accurate and not worry about everyone emailing me a summary of what they spoke about then I'm going to need to record the calls. They didn't like that idea either for reasons not said. But I'm struggling to think of a way to be able to listen to 5 minutes of someone speaking and be able to summarize what they s
ay and keep it accurate without losing a detail.

5 minutes of speech can generate 3/4 of a page of words. The context of a point that someone is making can change quite a bit towards the end of what they say its hard for me to keep that in my head and summarize it without losing detail. I'm not sure what to do here.

Opinion of a random internet person:
The agenda is often the responsibility of the meeting chair; the individual responsible for keeping the meeting on time, to the agenda and enduring people get their fair chance to talk and cutting off those who are waffling.

Managing the agenda in your scenario should be quite straight forward by including only the usual standard items e.g. Welcome, apologies, accepting the previous minutes, Bob's report, Jenny's report etc plus the odd special agenda item. Any special agenda items to be discussed need to be sent to be included prior to the meeting. If the majority of a meeting is occuring in a catch all agenda item such as "Other business" you're doing it wrong. Any reports or summaries being referenced should absolutely be circulated prior to the meeting along with the agenda.

The record of the meeting is the Minutes and is recorded by the Secretary (a meeting task, not the kind person behind the front counter). As you highlight, capturing a discussion in a handful of dot points is a challenge but you will improve with practice. As the Secretary if something is not clear you are empowered to stop the meeting to seek clarification.

The Minutes should capture the spirit of the discussion, any hard facts and Action items arising and be circulated ASAP. It is the responsibility of all attending to review and ensure it is accurate and to provide amendments. At the next meeting the previous minutes are accepted, and if something is not in the accepted minutes then it didn't happen.

In my org the Chairperson is often $Boss, but some areas rotate it per a schedule as a development opportunity. In all but the most senior Steering groups the Secretary role is similarly rotated.

tldr;
If it's your responsibility, do it your way
It's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is for permission
Managing upwards is a vital skill
gently caress printers

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Today I realized I've opened so many MAC whitelisting tickets for the same internet of poo poo device that I've memorized the vendor prefix and have a pretty good idea how their business is going from how big the increment between shipments is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

As nice as it is to fix an issue that has been annoying people for months, I’m sure everybody would have been much happier if the problem had been brought up sooner rather than being a gripe that never left the affected department.