Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Agrikk posted:

I was cleaning up in my garage just now and decided to tidy up the cabling in my cabinet. I saw this weird discoloration in one of the empty rj-45 ports so I pulled out a flashlight for a closer inspection.

:nms: It was a spider. A gnarly piece of poo poo gently caress-you gross spider. :nms:

It was all snugged in there so I couldn't swat it or stab it or crush it without forever getting guts all up in the port and the shop vac couldn't pull enough air around it to dislodge it.

I'm ready to smash the whole switch out with a hammer and set fire to my garage.
You don't have a can of compressed air around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
No spider that fits entirely in an Ethernet port can be that gross.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Try and grow a pair, then remove the spider husk. Might work.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Inspector_666 posted:

No spider that fits entirely in an Ethernet port can be that gross.

redeyes posted:

Try and grow a pair, then remove the spider husk. Might work.

gently caress that. All spiders are the devil’s own spawn.

But:

Success!

I went back a couple hours later and he had started to build a web from the corner of my cabinet down to the bezel of the switch.

Out came the shop vac and schoop!

I’m glad I didn’t have to burn my house down.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Sep 22, 2018

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Friday is our arbitrary "code freeze" for the sprint. I've bitched about how we run that in here before, update: we're officially down to essentially five or six days of coding per "two week" sprint at this point.

This sprint I got the big 8 point behemoth story, so it's fun trying to get that done inside that tiny window. This team has a horrible habit of last second meetings and poo poo to distract you that hasn't improved; Wednesday I got tapped to do a hotfix deployment I had absolutely nothing to do with except, "Hey that guy hasn't done one in a while." (because my code doesn't break poo poo :smuggo:).

I managed to get it done just under the wire at about 11am Friday. Code review? There was ONE legitimate criticism, I had missed a new service that had been recently added. It was a pain, but not too overly difficult to go in and basically duplicate my work on a different area (I see why it was added, it's gorgeous compared to the old poo poo).

The rest, though? Nonstop demands to change this variable name, change this default value to a constant we add to our endless data.py files, oh can you modify this other service that's out of scope to just return '1' for the conversion rate if the currencies are identical (like I had pointed out when it was written a week ago)? Oh and I don't like using the session object to detect a request's country in HERE, can you move it out to HERE?

But what's infuriating is my code WORKED, and there were also messages every 15-20 minutes wanting updates on when testing can begin. So....why don't we just loving test it as is, and you spawn a subtask for me to clean up cosmetic poo poo over the next 3 days when I will be forbidden from getting a started on code for next sprint so I'll have nothing to do?

Our "Agile" process is hopelessly broken. These arbitrary deadlines are the entire cause; if there wasn't a needless scramble to get everything in that day because someone heard another company use the term "code freeze", this would have all worked just fine....it's tedious to track down every function call across 25 or so files affected to update the arguments passed into it (since they want to move where poo poo like conversion rate gets calculated), but it's not really that bad UNLESS it's 4:30 on a Friday with a pointless cutoff.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Sounds like a good arguement to ask for a phat raise since your'e the only one who can work with the system - and/or use that as leverage to hands-off from it, OR make the process better if you have to be involved.

Sorry your work is frustrating

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

TheParadigm posted:

Sounds like a good arguement to ask for a phat raise since your'e the only one who can work with the system

That's the plan when my one year comes up after the holidays. I'm also one of the only senior level devs who hasn't been promoted into something else this year after a bunch of people left.

Still my best job yet, but gently caress I wish they could get their poo poo together and stop creating constant chaos.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Why'd everyone quit?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Nothing bad, we're just a fairly small company so 2-3 people bailing is noticeable, especially when it's timed to coincide with some promotions and trying to expand. I think one moved to Seattle, another is going back to school or something.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Agrikk posted:

I’m glad I didn’t have to burn my house down.
not to burst your bubble, but that spider wasn't there by chance. you've probably got an insect problem too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nah, summer is winding down and spiders are getting into making babies season. They probably looking for love.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

The enabling of xp_cmdshell goes against security recommendations from Microsoft. This has been clearly documented by Microsoft for about the last 15 years to my memory.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
To (mis)quote someone from one of the IT threads "I don't know if my new job is more or less corporate than my last one, but at least I haven't heard 'scrum' in a while".

God drat do I ever not miss agile. I'm sure it works in some settings but "slow moving dinosaur of a financial institution" is not one of them

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Antioch posted:

To (mis)quote someone from one of the IT threads "I don't know if my new job is more or less corporate than my last one, but at least I haven't heard 'scrum' in a while".

God drat do I ever not miss agile. I'm sure it works in some settings but "slow moving dinosaur of a financial institution" is not one of them

oh boy. Did you have 1 hour stand ups?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I sure am a fan of the security certificate for the customer facing mail server expiring yesterday.
That doesn't generate many calls at all.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Agrikk posted:

I was cleaning up in my garage just now and decided to tidy up the cabling in my cabinet. I saw this weird discoloration in one of the empty rj-45 ports so I pulled out a flashlight for a closer inspection.

:nms: It was a spider. A gnarly piece of poo poo gently caress-you gross spider. :nms:

It was all snugged in there so I couldn't swat it or stab it or crush it without forever getting guts all up in the port and the shop vac couldn't pull enough air around it to dislodge it.

I'm ready to smash the whole switch out with a hammer and set fire to my garage.

It's just trying to get into the world-wide web.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's just trying to get into the world-wide web.

I see what you did there

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Someone added a bunch of checkbox fields to our item records:

COUNT IN WAREHOUSE_LOC_1
COUNT IN WAREHOUSE_LOC_2
COUNT IN WAREHOUSE_LOC_3
COUNT IN WAREHOUSE_LOC_4

Like twenty of them. gently caress.

Let's re-invent the cycle count system because people won't use the built in one, and gently caress up our database at the same time!

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Sep 24, 2018

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

COUNT IN WAREHOUSE_LOC_1
COUNT IN WAREHOUSE_LOC_2
COUNT IN WAREHOUSE_LOC_3
COUNT IN WAREHOUSE_LOC_4

Let's re-invent the cycle count system because people won't use the built in one, and gently caress up our database at the same time!

That is unconscionable!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

COUNT IN WAREHOUSE_LOC_1
COUNT IN WAREHOUSE_LOC_2
COUNT IN WAREHOUSE_LOC_3
COUNT IN WAREHOUSE_LOC_4

Not gonna lie. I laughed. Because it's not me.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I tried to move away from one of my coworkers because she never stops talking and complaining about the job and how broke she is. Sadly though all of the seats on the other side have been taken by other people who thought she was really annoying and had the idea to move before me.

Now I'm stuck here and it's really getting on my nerves. I'm breaking over here you guys. I even told her to shut up the other day and several of my coworkers hi-fived me. It's getting ridiculous.

I should also mention that our new manager loves her for some reason and is for sure going to take her side even though her tickets make no sense and she closes all of them out without ever following up. Just "I'll call you back and give you an update" - *closes ticket*. It's insane and I'm looking for a new job because the fact she hasn't gotten fired yet is insulting to me.

CerealKilla420 fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Sep 24, 2018

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bob Morales posted:

You need a new job

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Holy gently caress I just spent 9 hours untangling the biggest rat's nest of code conflicts and bugs. I now have a list of poo poo to rant about at retro later this week.....

Short version of today: It turns out they assigned another massive story relating to this exact system I've been modifying to someone else on another team. Until I found some merge conflicts I had to resolve on Friday, neither of us was even aware in passing that the other was assigned work in even vaguely related areas, let alone identical sections of code.

Had there been any actual planning that took place (there WAS a cross-team meeting planned, it never happened, then someone said that basically 3 random people at HQ had divided the poo poo for this sprint), SOMEONE (read: me) would have noticed the overlap and punted my story to the following sprint, as the other ticket was clearly a prerequisite.

That said, I did it. There's a PR up, though anyone who wants a single line edited can kindly gently caress off until morning, even if it means not getting it in under this arbitrary release deadline. I shouldn't have had to do it at all, but I'm proud that I pulled it off.

The upside: I now have my new team lead and the QA lead on my side trying to fix all of this nonsense, and they're going to help drive this poo poo home in retro if there's any pushback. We're still 3 against the world, but it's a start. It just makes me so angry that we pay MULTIPLE full-time "scrum masters" whose job it is to run the show and prevent exactly what just happened. If not that, what the gently caress are we paying them for?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

You need a new job

On the one hand, this is 100% true for Bob's long-term psychological (and probably physical) health.

On the other hand, you need to consider how reading about Bob's job makes most of the rest of us feel about ours. "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few... or the one."

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I've been asked to perform a particular efficiency calculation on our daily production which will be a bit tricky at first but if I get out in front of it I think we can find an elegant solution...oh and you want it retroactive to January

MAYBE YOU SHOULD HAVE ASKED FOR IT IN JANUARY THEN

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer
The place I work at hired a new CIO recently. His idea of reasonable workloads involve dumping three more programs to admin on me, increasing my hours worked per week to around 50 average, and threatening to fire me when I make the entirely reasonable request for either more efficient tools to admin these programs, more pay, or some extra benefit for the extra hours worked.

I used to really enjoy showing up to work and consistently had pretty high management reviews. I came back to work today after a few days of vacation and have never felt so demotivated.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I remember when I worked support complaining to my manager that it just wasn't possible to get my regular caseload done in a 40 hour week. I figured this would get some traction since they were making work-life balance a thing at the time, but her response was "we never said this job would be a 40 hour week."

Alright, fine, no argument for that I guess, but a few months later when I told her I was transferring to another team her reaction was along the lines of "Wow, I'm so surprised! I thought everything was going great, what's the problem?" I said: "You're fine, the team is fine, but this job is just too hard - I don't want to work this much." I thought: "If you think 50 hour weeks one after another into eternity are no problem, you can find someone else to do them."

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Sep 25, 2018

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

COUNT IN WAREHOUSE_LOC_1
COUNT IN WAREHOUSE_LOC_2
COUNT IN WAREHOUSE_LOC_3
COUNT IN WAREHOUSE_LOC_4

This is like the platonic ideal of the dumb-rear end denormalization and hosed up data modeling I fight against with pretty much every client. It's... it's almost beautiful in its perfect stupidity.

Also,

Thanks Ants posted:

You need a new job

and so do I.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Eletriarnation posted:

I remember when I worked support complaining to my manager that it just wasn't possible to get my regular caseload done in a 40 hour week. I figured this would get some traction since they were making work-life balance a thing at the time, but her response was "we never said this job would be a 40 hour week."

Alright, fine, no argument for that I guess, but a few months later when I told her I was transferring to another team her reaction was along the lines of "Wow, I'm so surprised! I thought everything was going great, what's the problem?" I said: "You're fine, the team is fine, but this job is just too hard - I don't want to work this much." I thought: "If you think 50 hour weeks one after another into eternity are no problem, you can find someone else to do them."

This is pretty much my exact thought here. I very much do not plan on doing infinite fifty hour weeks for absolutely nothing in return. I value a healthy work-life balance more than I value pretty much anything else at this point.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

One user bust out laughing at the sight of me carrying 3-5 nicely wrapped cables. They thought it was the funniest poo poo ever, colored LAN cables in particular being something that this person had only ever seen running along walls or sitting in a rats nest. Not something to be held or moved between rooms.

After some probing from their coworkers, it turns out they have just never transported a cable or possibly plugged in anything more than a power cord if even that.
Turns out that anything more complicated than a toaster, this person had always found someone else to set up. They didn't really get that no, the cables to your computer and TV do not just grow out of the back. They thought that cables spontaneously generate???

I can only be so mad; they outed themselves as super-dumb in front of a few people.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Heran Bago posted:

One user bust out laughing at the sight of me carrying 3-5 nicely wrapped cables. They thought it was the funniest poo poo ever, colored LAN cables in particular being something that this person had only ever seen running along walls or sitting in a rats nest. Not something to be held or moved between rooms.

After some probing from their coworkers, it turns out they have just never transported a cable or possibly plugged in anything more than a power cord if even that.
Turns out that anything more complicated than a toaster, this person had always found someone else to set up. They didn't really get that no, the cables to your computer and TV do not just grow out of the back. They thought that cables spontaneously generate???

I can only be so mad; they outed themselves as super-dumb in front of a few people.

Haha you're carrying them things what supposed to be in the walls!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm not sure I'd have been able to be patient enough to figure out why it was so funny

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
My request to move desks was officially denied. I really don't know what I'm going to do about this distracting co-worker issue.

I think you guys are right she has to have some sort of mental illness because she just doesn't stop openly and loudly complaining about the job to anyone that will listen. I hear her complain about her debt (and her inability to pay it) along with the amount of money she makes (we all make the same more or less) and I'm done with it and from what I've heard from other co-workers it sounds like they're done with it too. In fact the reason that I can't move desks is because everyone that previously sat near her moved to the other side of the office and as a result there are no spaces left for me to move to. They all moved because they were so sick of her complaining and didn't want to deal with it.

I've tried asking her politely to be quiet so I can work without distraction on several occasions but she just continues to do it regardless. In fact one time I told her to be quiet because I was on the phone with a client and they could hear her complaints. She just responded with "that is so rude!" and later I over heard her talking about how I was "harassing her". I've honestly started looking for another job because of her. I should also mention that she is REALLY REALLY bad at her job and literally never follows up on support tickets. She'll just tell a client that she'll get back to them and then closes the tickets out without resolving the issue which creates a headache for the rest of us when they client calls back angry.

I figured that she would probably get fired for these sort of things and more but our new manager seems to like her for whatever reason so that hasn't happened and it doesn't look like it's going to happen.

I'm not sure what to do about the situation because I'm running out of patience. I've been just drowning out her voice with Brian Eno in an attempt to center myself but god drat I'm really starting to lose it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Get a note from a therapist that it's causing you distress. There was a person where I'm at many years ago that were able to get their seat moved for having a doctor's note about a dust allergy that was aggravated by old cubicle walls. Either they move your desk or fire you. :v:

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Organize a time for all your coworkers to go to HR at the same time. One person is a nuisance, a whole team is a big problem.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Are noise-cancelling headphones or earplugs an option?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Heran Bago posted:

Wrong orifice

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
This ain't it, chief.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Heran Bago posted:

I have over the ear headphones and they block out the sound but she's still loud enough and her voice is distinct and shrill enough that I can hear it over whatever I'm music I'm listening to. It isn't so much a problem when I'm just sitting at my desk doing paper work but when I'm on a phone call with a client I can't block out her voice and I've heard a few complaints from clients that can hear her voice in the background.

Polio Vax Scene posted:

Organize a time for all your coworkers to go to HR at the same time. One person is a nuisance, a whole team is a big problem.

This isn't a bad idea but I don't think I would really be able to organize my coworkers like that. I would be really surprised if any of them would want to deal with HR, and honestly I don't either. I've had bad experiences with HR in the past and I'm convinced it might just make the situation work in one way or another. But then again you're probably right that a whole team going to HR would probably get something done.

spog posted:

Wrong orifice

LOL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006
Are your calls recorded? If they are, pull the recording for one where a client complained about hearing your coworker and play it for your supervisor so they understand the complaints are coming from customers.

Most places will act on customer complaints much faster than employee complaints.