Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

So the ceiling had a pipe leak and it took out a wifi AP two weekends ago. Replaced it, and guess what?

There is water all over the ceiling tiles and dripping on the floor. Parts of the tiles are missing and there is a bucket trying to catch water from the dripping.

Ugh.

What is this, 2008 again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

The Fool posted:

What is this, 2008 again

What?! It's 2008, again?! I got to go warn everyone, QUICK!

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Pissing me off: customer submits a ticket demanding a Teams conference for trivially basic poo poo that they could find in five minutes reading our documentation. Calls no less than four times demanding written confirmation in the ticket that someone will join at the time scheduled (12 eastern). It is now 20 minutes past the hour and Teams is still in the "when the meeting starts we'll let people know you're waiting" mode.

Fake edit: lmao we just got a loving email from them asking to push it back an hour. Asswipes. :argh:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hey if you're headed back in time could you do something about the final season of game of thrones?

I can't think of anything else that's happened that might need adjusting.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ugh, customers that sign up to cloud hosted services but run a default deny rule on outbound traffic are great. Even better when the only way they have of managing outbound connections is to write L3 rules into some Cisco router and any sort of automated ingestion of ranges from AWS isn't possible, and neither is just inspecting the DNS requests and allowing traffic through based on that.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

Ugh, customers that sign up to cloud hosted services but run a default deny rule on outbound traffic are great. Even better when the only way they have of managing outbound connections is to write L3 rules into some Cisco router and any sort of automated ingestion of ranges from AWS isn't possible, and neither is just inspecting the DNS requests and allowing traffic through based on that.

“We just want to run software in the cloud, not have our app talk over the internet!”

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Thanks Ants posted:

Eh, I understand their intentions though. "zero trust" is something that has been parroted for ages but its become incredibly hard or impossible to apply to your areas of defense. Its really REALLY hard to get people to understand where to apply these protections these days.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I can see the intention as well but an approach to security of having a network perimeter is never going to neatly accommodate public cloud applications, and if you're the type of organisation that has an MPLS and a central data centre with big firewalls in then you probably want to shop for solutions that you deploy inside that perimeter.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Thanks Ants posted:

I can see the intention as well but an approach to security of having a network perimeter is never going to neatly accommodate public cloud applications, and if you're the type of organisation that has an MPLS and a central data centre with big firewalls in then you probably want to shop for solutions that you deploy inside that perimeter.

That is where I work right now. We are having to transition from everything being on prem, to now dealing with things being in the cloud. And our security group isn't happy about this.
In the past, all outbound traffic was only allow from certain vlans or devices. No workstation had direct internet, they all had citrix shortcuts. Very few exceptions were made, if someone looked at a device that needed internet, it was generally denied. So something like a postage machine could only connect over a analog line. Which was fine for awhile, but guess what, Pitney Bowes doesn't want to keep loving modem bank around forever. So new ones are network only.

Like, right now I'm trying to get some of our new fancy video conference units to connect to Cisco Webex. I have been working with infosec for two days now trying to get one device to work. Initially, webex ID'd traffic was denied. Got one working, then the domain wasn't allowed. Got that. But the traffic is showing as a application type that isn't allowed. Next step, turn off SSL decryption in this rule, as the video units really don't like it. There is still something blocking the traffic, as I can't provision devices to get them to register.
All the while, the infosec group is getting upset, because the IP ranges that need to be opened up are significant, not to mention the variety of ports.
To be honest, I'm ready to give up on connecting to Webex for management, right now they can connect to rooms on different services and that seems to be enough for now.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Bob Morales posted:

I'm sure they are over there in payroll on Friday saying "Hey John started this week, can you cut him a check?"

What finally got my push for a notification period on new hires to stick back at the design studio was this conversation:

"Hi ! Here's someone who started today, where's their laptop ?"

"That's amazing ! You got approval for a new headcount, posted the listing, interviewed candidates, and made a selection all by 9:30 ! That's amazing !"

".............. so.......... laptop ?"

"I have to order one, it'll be a couple of days. Do they need Creative Suite and the font library ?"

"Yes"

"That'll be a few thousand dollars and a couple of days all told. What cost center budgeted for that ?"

"I'll get back to you."

The followup with their director was also gold.

"Why wasn't $NEW_PERSON's laptop ready for them ?"

"Because the first I heard of them was when $DIPSHIT brought them over to get the laptop."

"Don't we have a process in place for this ?"

"Yes. Yes we do."

The projector story gets the mileage, but this one does the work.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
The special Undo key shares the same key as F2 on my Microsoft Natural.
This is just fine, until working in Excel... Then it's insidious

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
I work for a financial institution, we do credit reporting to Equifax. We were locked out of the FTP we use for that credit reporting, so I contacted their support requesting a new password via email. I did have our customer number and such, and they requested I give them our username. I sent that over via an encrypted email, and then they sent me a new password back via plaintext, unencrypted email.

Good to know the lessons from the largest breach in history have been learned. I guess my email is coming from my employer, as well, but they didn't even do any additional identity verification.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
If you're using FTP to transfer stuff then emailing the credentials in plaintext doesn't matter at all either. Why would you worry about a MITM on unencrypted email but not your unencrypted file transfer protocol?

Edit: unless you all are using SFTP/FTPS/something else that isn't inherently a terribly insecure mess or FTP has a different meaning in the fintech world.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 16, 2020

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sheep posted:

If you're using FTP to transfer stuff then emailing the credentials in plaintext doesn't matter at all either. Why would you worry about a MITM on unencrypted email but not your unencrypted file transfer protocol?

Edit: unless you all are using SFTP/FTPS/something else that isn't inherently a terribly insecure mess or FTP has a different meaning in the fintech world.
I use "FTP" as a blanket for all of the various FTP technologies. In this case, it's SFTP using an OpenPGP encryption. In retrospect, I guess the necessity of the PGP encryption keys renders the password less important.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Yeah in that case the password isn't (as) important but you should definitely bark up the chain at them sending credentials in cleartext regardless.

captaingimpy
Aug 3, 2004

I luv me some pirate booty, and I'm not talkin' about the gold!
Fun Shoe
It's really lovely optics and just being lazy. Credit agencies already suck for the why's and how's of what they do with your data, they could at least pretend to care about our info.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I feel like no matter how big your Internet pipe is, you will run up against a file transfer large enough to max it out for an entire day. I'm currently shifting a couple TB around at 50MB/s and getting annoyed that the connection isn't 10x faster.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

I feel like no matter how big your Internet pipe is, you will run up against a file transfer large enough to max it out for an entire day. I'm currently shifting a couple TB around at 50MB/s and getting annoyed that the connection isn't 10x faster.

We have quite a bit of 10000Mb/s networking now and it still doesn't feel fast because users just started flinging around even larger files.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Thanks Ants posted:

We might move to a 500mbs connection from a 1gbs because it’s cheaper (we have to renegotiate our tv rate apparently), it’s a five year contract and I’m sad :(

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
In a >1hr lunchtime meeting to discuss processes even though people mainly keep asking “what’s wrong with the process as it is? Why are we having this meeting?” :woop: but of course if you give people an hour to complain they’ll suddenly find a load of pointless grievances

e: And I suspect, from having been a lead before, that the reason behind these meetings is just that the lead feels insecure and wants to ‘do something’. Nothing to do with actual process problems.

Prism Mirror Lens fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Sep 17, 2020

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Decline any meeting that doesn't have an agenda. I don't want to waste my time helping you to maintain the illusion of making a positive contribution.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Thanks Ants posted:

Decline any meeting that doesn't have an agenda. I don't want to waste my time helping you to maintain the illusion of making a positive contribution.

Christ, I wish I could get away with that. I can't even gently remand customers who scream up and down demanding a meeting and then the meeting is completely pointless from my team's perspective to the point where someone much more technical on the customer's side is like "wait, why is Kyrosiris even here? why are we wasting his time?". :sigh:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I've found that invoicing customers for meetings like that helps cut down a lot of the bullshit.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Wibla posted:

I've found that invoicing customers for meetings like that helps cut down a lot of the bullshit.

This is very true, I still have the occasional "fluff" meeting where, I dunno, I guess the customer wants to hear my voice instead of reading/responding to emails, but they will be short 15-20 minutes tops and will placate them. Often I don't even bill time for those meetings unless the customer makes a habit of it, but like 10-20 minutes over the course of a month I'm not going to cry about.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Thanks Ants posted:

On the other hand: virtual meetings where I can turn off my camera/mic.

I get to look like a team player, my calendar looks busy, I can ignore emails/IM/phone calls for the duration and I can spend the time sorting out my iTunes library and getting the tags just right.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Whatup iTunes library curator. I feel we’re on borrowed time with this approach.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This is a rare case where Windows is actually protecting us from a problem, because as long as Windows is around iTunes will be around too. Unless Apple comes up with some way to integrate with the OS like they did on OSX.. but that assumes they give a poo poo about the problem.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Thanks Ants posted:

Whatup iTunes library curator. I feel we’re on borrowed time with this approach.
iTunes or attending pointless meetings?

Neither are going away before I hit pension age.

xzzy posted:

This is a rare case where Windows is actually protecting us from a problem, because as long as Windows is around iTunes will be around too. Unless Apple comes up with some way to integrate with the OS like they did on OSX.. but that assumes they give a poo poo about the problem.

As much as I dislike itunes, it's great at organising my music library and everything else has issues to annoy me (I'm giving MusicBee a go, but just can't get used to the navigation in it)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

"There is something seriously wrong with our wireless network. People have had problems signing in all week."

Well, most of them have been people's passwords expiring.

The other two were people trying to sign into laptops that didn't belong to them, so the FDE doesn't recognize them.

"OMG ANOTHER LAPTOP USER CANT SIGN IN"

User doesn't know their login name...watch.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

Bob Morales posted:

"There is something seriously wrong with our wireless network. People have had problems signing in all week."

Well, most of them have been people's passwords expiring.

The other two were people trying to sign into laptops that didn't belong to them, so the FDE doesn't recognize them.

"OMG ANOTHER LAPTOP USER CANT SIGN IN"

User doesn't know their login name...watch.

They'll have forgotten their power brick and their laptop won't power on.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

In a >1hr lunchtime meeting to discuss processes even though people mainly keep asking “what’s wrong with the process as it is? Why are we having this meeting?” :woop: but of course if you give people an hour to complain they’ll suddenly find a load of pointless grievances

e: And I suspect, from having been a lead before, that the reason behind these meetings is just that the lead feels insecure and wants to ‘do something’. Nothing to do with actual process problems.

Personally I found that those kind of process meetings can be extremely useful for a new team if you keep people on track and give them some kind of anonymity, but once you've done them for a while it just turns into petty grievances and nonsense; I suspect it would be even worse if you started them from scratch with a team that already has long established processes.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Moo the cow posted:

On the other hand: virtual meetings where I can turn off my camera/mic.

I get to look like a team player, my calendar looks busy, I can ignore emails/IM/phone calls for the duration and I can spend the time sorting out my iTunes library and getting the tags just right.

Hell yeah. 60 minute all-hands fortnightly? I can genuinely provide 100% contribution by listening at 20% (most of it is irrelevant to me) and still get paid.

I would suggest occasionally doing one with your camera on, though, just to remind people you have a face.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah having thought about it some more I got through the last episode of Band of Brothers (the Blu-ray transfer is incredible) during an all-company update event a couple of weeks ago, so they are useful for certain things.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
For the remaining days in September I am going to reply with a simple "http://nohello.com" every times someone pings me with a one word salutation instead of getting right to the point. JFC. I had six DMs in slack waiting for me this morning and none of them had any content in them whatsoever.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uepFO4psgKE

captaingimpy
Aug 3, 2004

I luv me some pirate booty, and I'm not talkin' about the gold!
Fun Shoe
This thread has caused me anxiety every time I DM someone.

Thanks for that.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Agrikk posted:

For the remaining days in September I am going to reply with a simple "http://nohello.com" every times someone pings me with a one word salutation instead of getting right to the point. JFC. I had six DMs in slack waiting for me this morning and none of them had any content in them whatsoever.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uepFO4psgKE

See, that can come off as aggressive. I just ignore salutation-only messages until they add some content. If they never add content, it must not have been important.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Who made the data drive on this MS SQL server a measly 80GB?

Going to kick someone in the nuts tomorrow.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Thanatosian posted:

See, that can come off as aggressive. I just ignore salutation-only messages until they add some content. If they never add content, it must not have been important.

This is basically what I adopted after being told setting my Slack status to nohello was "aggressive and not indicative of willingness to work as a team". :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It depends on the audience, it really does nothing to counter the stereotype of the IT workers being unapproachable. Ignoring requests that are just "hello" is fine. I also tend to ignore phone calls depending on who is calling, as a lot of the time I know I will get a follow-up email within half an hour saying not to worry, they read some documentation and solved the problem themselves.