Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

The only acceptable type of boot

Up until the blue tab gets stuck under the RJ-45 tab.

It's the least bad solution anyone has come up with though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That seems to rarely happen to me and it is well worth the sacrifice for snagless cables. Old-style sucked. And yeah, at least you don't need to bust your keys out under normal circumstances to get those unplugged.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

I can't take my leatherman out on the floor because I got in trouble for having a 'pocket knife' (we have some mental patients)

man don't talk poo poo about NOC like that

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/field-notices/636/fn63697.html

Snagless is great!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I was waiting for someone to post that old classic!

What I especially hate are SFP optics that somehow become cemented into a port over time. Nothing gives you the warm and fuzzys like yanking on an optic you need to reuse with all your might.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

devmd01 posted:

Snagless is great!

To be fair, that's an incredibly stupid place to place a button, especially since snagless ethernet cables weren't exactly new when those switches came out. They should have put them on the far left side, like they did prior switches.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

So we got a new co-worker today, and this is gonna be interesting. Naturally at some point the teams chat drifted onto corona, thanks to the UK gov's ever shifting policies on it, and the constant new news articles. Anyway the new guy piped up that he doesn't watch or read the news any more and instead gets his world news from Twitter as it's more reliable. He also looks like the dude from the "boomer with a computer" meme, but until he came out with that gem I wasn't gonna judge him based on that. He also claimed that the Ivanti software we're using is "a straight rip-off of Landesk"

Tomorrow I have to walk him through a whole bunch of poo poo I set up and why it's done that way, and I STG if he turns out to be a QAnon follower I'm not gonna be able to keep my mouth shut.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Lum posted:

So we got a new co-worker today, and this is gonna be interesting. Naturally at some point the teams chat drifted onto corona, thanks to the UK gov's ever shifting policies on it, and the constant new news articles. Anyway the new guy piped up that he doesn't watch or read the news any more and instead gets his world news from Twitter as it's more reliable. He also looks like the dude from the "boomer with a computer" meme, but until he came out with that gem I wasn't gonna judge him based on that. He also claimed that the Ivanti software we're using is "a straight rip-off of Landesk"

Tomorrow I have to walk him through a whole bunch of poo poo I set up and why it's done that way, and I STG if he turns out to be a QAnon follower I'm not gonna be able to keep my mouth shut.

...Ivanti is literally landesk though? Like it’s the successor company post merger.

Still pretty poo poo everywhere I’ve seen it used though.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

The Iron Rose posted:

...Ivanti is literally landesk though? Like it’s the successor company post merger.
Yes, yes it is.

quote:

Still pretty poo poo everywhere I’ve seen it used though.
It's... ok, but all I really have to compare it to is WSUS. With a bit of scripting fuckery it's tolerable, and certainly a bit easier to write custom patches in.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
Frustrating my today as an Australian.

11 years ago the Australian government set out a plan for the National Broadband Network to provide FTTH connections for all but remote/rural locations and covering them with fixed wireless and satellite for the real remote ones, a few years later that party got voted out and the new governments stance was basically summed up by this quote.

quote:

Mr Abbott, who declared he was “not a tech head”, suggested it was a policy for video gamers and people who wanted to watch home movies.

“We are not against using the internet for all these things, but do we really want to invest $50 billion worth of hard-earned taxpayers’ money in what is essentially a video entertainment system?’’ he said.

and revised it to a cheaper and quicker to roll out "mixed technology" plan of using FTTN, FTTC, fixed wireless (that's been oversold), HFC, buying out current networks, basically whatever the gently caress was cheapest and quickest to roll out to get 100mbs max theoretical speeds to an area, contrary to every industry experts advice and recommendations.

And now we have a national broadband network that's a giant clusterfuck of a mess, the last house I lived in I lost the FTTN lottery on where the node was going to go and had FTTN VDSL that maxed out 24 down and 4 up on a good day because of the copper distance from the node, and that met the minimum required speeds so that's all it was ever going to be.

Or other situations where in some smaller towns it's literally one side of the street has FTTN/C and the other side has fixed wireless where they basically rezoned a bunch of residential places in regional towns to fixed wireless rollouts to meet their rollout completion timeframes.

Today,

https://www.news.com.au/technology/...2d8cbf28f2695a8

quote:

Coalition’s NBN backflip will cost billions of dollars more
It’s being described as a “mega backflip”, “too late” and “a joke.”

Just seven years after Tony Abbott and Malcolm Turnbull scrapped Labor’s original national broadband rollout to deliver superfast speeds to the family home, it’s back.

Two million Australian households will be able to demand fibre-to-the-home internet by 2023 in suburbs across Australia under the Morrison Government’s new plan to be unveiled today.

"How could we have ever known that streaming services would take off as much as they have? Or that working from home could potentially become the new normal? And because of that we're going to make the drastic move of upgrading a bunch of FTTN connections to FTTH!"

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

Rudager posted:

Frustrating my today as an Australian.

11 years ago the Australian government set out a plan for the National Broadband Network to provide FTTH connections for all but remote/rural locations and covering them with fixed wireless and satellite for the real remote ones, a few years later that party got voted out and the new governments stance was basically summed up by this quote.

and revised it to a cheaper and quicker to roll out "mixed technology" plan of using FTTN, FTTC, fixed wireless (that's been oversold), HFC, buying out current networks, basically whatever the gently caress was cheapest and quickest to roll out to get 100mbs max theoretical speeds to an area, contrary to every industry experts advice and recommendations.

And now we have a national broadband network that's a giant clusterfuck of a mess, the last house I lived in I lost the FTTN lottery on where the node was going to go and had FTTN VDSL that maxed out 24 down and 4 up on a good day because of the copper distance from the node, and that met the minimum required speeds so that's all it was ever going to be.

Or other situations where in some smaller towns it's literally one side of the street has FTTN/C and the other side has fixed wireless where they basically rezoned a bunch of residential places in regional towns to fixed wireless rollouts to meet their rollout completion timeframes.

Today,

https://www.news.com.au/technology/...2d8cbf28f2695a8

"How could we have ever known that streaming services would take off as much as they have? Or that working from home could potentially become the new normal? And because of that we're going to make the drastic move of upgrading a bunch of FTTN connections to FTTH!"

Tony abbot is a fuckhead

Using wireless in rural areas is not sufficient if you want to move technology companies to rural towns. In the states, a small rural town in North Carolina rolled out fibre which created an economic boom. Other towns tried getting on it until the cable and telecom company bribed the government to ban municipal broadband.

Farmers need fast internet for commodities trading and run their business. Can’t do everything on LTE

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

In NZ we had the opposite basically happen. The original plan was for fast broadband to cover 95% of houses but no technology was specified only performance targets. I think VDSL would have met those targets. Then we had a change of government but unlike yours it wasn't paid for by Murdoch looking to protect his pay TV empire. Instead the dropped the coverage to something like 80% and specified fibre broadband. There were a few other changes as well that heavily favoured the large incumbent. Since then they have increased the coverage and also started a new initiative to cover the last few places fibre will not be practical for.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The incumbent in the UK did the same thing as Australia, just without the daft fixed wireless bit, though they started several years earlier and so we ended up with about 60Mbps in 2012, just with no improvement since then. They finally realised that fibre is the way to go and are ramping up, but it's still far from quick. Our current phone line is in a nice clean 54mm duct with a rope sitting there for new services, and you'd think a network operator would be eager to pull a fibre through and start receiving double the amount of cash each month, but it appears not.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Lum posted:

This is why, generally at least at this company, the first interview is more of a personality interview to see if you'll fit in with the team, we know you have tech skills based loosely on your resume but if you throw up some red flags like this in the interview you aren't getting asked back for a more in depth technical interview.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Lum posted:

Yeah, the length restriction is making my code, less readable as removing all comments (or shortening them and shoving them on the end of lines) is an easy way to meet that requirements. This doesn't sit well with how I like to code, because if I have to do something weird I might put in a paragraph of comments explaining what it's doing and why.

Like I said I really don't have any problem with a second pair of eyes on my scripts, since I've certainly put out a few clangers!

Source control, LOL. We have no git account or anything like that, so it's a folder full of Fix-ThisThing-v1.0.ps1, Fix-ThisThing-v1.1.ps1 etc etc. I'm half-tempted to do Fix-ThisThing-v1.1-commentfreeversion.ps1 before review, and then open up the commented one on a second monitor while screen sharing.
Can you write a script that parses Fix-ThisThing-v1.1-commentfreeversion.ps1 and automatically creates Fix-ThisThing-v1.1.ps1 in your bosses weird style?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Getting forwarded poo poo like this every other day from my boss:

FW: MS-ISAC CYBERSECURITY ADVISORY - Multiple Vulnerabilities in Mozilla Firefox Could Allow for Arbitrary Code Execution - PATCH: NOW - TLP:WHITE

Do you want me to drop everything I'm doing to patch all the Firefox?

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Holy loving poo poo, I just spend 10 minutes laying out my vision for the company infrastructure over the next year on a call and my loving manager chimes in at the end saying they had been pulled away on a call for the last 8 minutes and started talking about literally the same poo poo I just covered.

Like what the gently caress man, let me know if you need to step away and I'll loving wait for you.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Microsoft says our organization isn't configured to reset passwords for a user on domain
But we don't use any of their cloud poo poo
Maybe at some point before my time they signed up for something?
Anyway we can't get this user unlocked (joeblow@ourdomain.com)
Contacted support twice this week...crickets

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Having a hard time following what you're saying, to be honest.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
How does one express to their boss “I’m bored and the work I’m doing doesn’t challenge or interest me” without literally saying that and thereby loving up one’s work.

This is a guy who freaked out at the thought of having to run “custom scripts” for other business units and thinks a simple automated csv export/upload would take weeks to accomplish and maintain and document instead of, like, a day or two at most.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Sep 23, 2020

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Generally "I want to be challenged," but if the person doesn't "get it," expect their interpretation of challenge to be different from what yours is.

You'll probably have better luck with just doing what you want to do. Better to ask forgiveness than permission and all that.

[Edit: This problem can follow you up the ladder, more depends on the culture of the place you're at. Even as the IT Director I had a similar conversation with what was essentially the COO, and his response was "okay, great, we'll get you billing the clients!" This was a law firm.]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 23, 2020

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The Iron Rose posted:

How does one express to their boss “I’m bored and the work I’m doing doesn’t challenge or interest me” without literally saying that and thereby loving up one’s work.

This is a guy who freaked out at the thought of having to run “custom scripts” for other business units and thinks a simple automated csv export/upload would take weeks to accomplish and maintain and document instead of, like, a day or two at most.

I get annoyed when people just suggest this for every little issue, maybe it's time to look for a new job? That's where I'm at after having been given the run around for my title change for the last 6 months.

If your current employer can't or won't challenge you, there's not a lot of other options.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bob Morales posted:

Microsoft says our organization isn't configured to reset passwords for a user on domain
But we don't use any of their cloud poo poo
Maybe at some point before my time they signed up for something?
Anyway we can't get this user unlocked (joeblow@ourdomain.com)
Contacted support twice this week...crickets

Going to try and decipher this and think perhaps you're talking about someone signing up for a Microsoft account using their work email address. Those accounts have nothing to do with your Azure AD, you can't claim them just because they are your domain or anything. They're consumer accounts and whoever created the account has to recover it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Going to try and decipher this and think perhaps you're talking about someone signing up for a Microsoft account using their work email address. Those accounts have nothing to do with your Azure AD, you can't claim them just because they are your domain or anything. They're consumer accounts and whoever created the account has to recover it.

This is definitely a thing that pisses me off. Allowing consumer accounts that have a matching username to a business account? Some services you can log in to with either account, and they are totally separate accounts. Other services you can only sign in with the consumer account. You can't expect the average end-user to be able to tell the difference, hell I work with some IT people that can't tell the difference.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Hello yes I'm not dead (but work are trying their best)

I'd like to take a moment to rant about how, despite proving with detailed daily reports during Working From Home when the UK lockdown was in full swing that I was working flat-out from home on project work (being more productive than in the office, as no distractions), and despite a number of tech support queries resolved over the phone or via splashtop, they STILL hate WFH, STILL have the attitude of presenteeism and insisted on dragging me and the few others they grudgingly 'trusted', back into the office the second the government advice changed to "go to work if you can" in August. As of yesterday the advice u-turned again, but this time it's only "guidance" not actual law, so predictably, not a hint of going back to WFH.

It's perfectly possible to do this job from home. MILDLY inconvenient for any prolonged work via Splashtop as it's a bit sluggish but other than that it should only be necessary to nip in (it's a 6 minute drive) to move something or swap a tape or unfuck a label printer. Sitting there for 8.5 hours a day breathing each others' air is just unnecessary risk.

But the other aspect is people still, even after months of covid, even after trying to get them used to it, seem to hate going to the 'effort' of letting IT talk them through something over the phone, and still jump straight to "can you come and have a look". They still have that attitude that they don't say out loud but can "hear" in their tone, that you're being lazy and awkward by not trekking across the factory to go stand over their shoulder.

Classic example earlier. Sat in office, internal call.
:v: "Computer's being odd, can you come and have a look?"
:raise: "No, I can consult over the telephone first. Can you elaborate on 'being odd' at all?"
:v: "Hmff.. grr.. I don't know!! It just has this blue thing?"
:raise: "What kind of blue thing?"
:v: "*sigh* I don't know there's all this gobbledegook.. it says at the top something about B I O S"
:eng101: "Remove whatever is sat on your F1 key and press escape"
:v: "Oh I think it's doing the microsoft thing now... okay thanks"

See, is it really that hard? Do we really need to be risking spreading covid around because people literally need their hands holding when dealing with a PC? Let us work from home you fucktards. I have every sympathy and respect for people who CAN'T work from home, but for those of us who can... why not?

(I'm particularly concerned about avoiding that drat thing as I live with vulnerable people)

Lum posted:

Anyway the new guy piped up that he doesn't watch or read the news any more and instead gets his world news from Twitter as it's more reliable.

:magical:

I can understand the mistrust of the mainstream media, especially all the clickbait and half-truths about covid, but TWITTER?
Maybe, at a push, YouTube, if you follow someone decent (like say John Campbell for the virus stuff) but who in their right mind gets their news from Twitter :D

GargleBlaster fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 23, 2020

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you're not in a union now would be a good time to start, you're going to have to start pushing back at some point and having a group you can ask for help is going to be valuable.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Thanks Ants posted:

If you're not in a union now would be a good time to start, you're going to have to start pushing back at some point and having a group you can ask for help is going to be valuable.

An interesting thought, I've not looked deeply into it but no one at our company is in a union. It seems to be largely a thing of bigger businesses and the public sector.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Your place sounds awful. I hope you can find a better job.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Probably should. Not easy taking that kind of leap in the current situation, but then there is safety involved!

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

I named an AD security group today. I named it using the naming standard that Joe delegated to both the senior guy, and the guy who has been here since day 1, that theybwrote, gave back to him, discussed in a meeting and then he signed off on it. Basically GroupType_AreaOfBusiness_Resource_Permission

This was in the end of a Slack chat about the overall setup of the thing that had been going for an hour and was just about done.

Of course he pipes up and complains about the group name? ~too long~ and he wants it to just be named after the resource only.

The resource in question is another AD object, so it would be the same name.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Lum posted:

I named an AD security group today. I named it using the naming standard that Joe delegated to both the senior guy, and the guy who has been here since day 1, that theybwrote, gave back to him, discussed in a meeting and then he signed off on it. Basically GroupType_AreaOfBusiness_Resource_Permission

This was in the end of a Slack chat about the overall setup of the thing that had been going for an hour and was just about done.

Of course he pipes up and complains about the group name? ~too long~ and he wants it to just be named after the resource only.

The resource in question is another AD object, so it would be the same name.

Resource2
Resource092020
ResourceThisOne

:suicide:

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Che Delilas posted:

Resource2
Resource092020
ResourceThisOne

:suicide:

That's a good description of the poo poo that's currently in our AD that we're trying to get away from!

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Shoutout to my coworker who has one of those webcam covers on but also doesn't turn off their video in meetings, so I just get this black artifact-y video feed the entire time. Good stuff!

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Shoutout to my coworker who has one of those webcam covers on but also doesn't turn off their video in meetings, so I just get this black artifact-y video feed the entire time. Good stuff!

Shout-out to the organiser of a Teams presentation where they muted the microphones for all attendees, but left the video 'on' by default.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

When we try to reset it, it says our organization isn't setup to use user-initiated password resets or something and to contact our admin.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

When we try to reset it, it says our organization isn't setup to use user-initiated password resets or something and to contact our admin.

And you’re not using o365 or azure in any capacity?

E: that message happens when an azuread user tries to reset their password and you don’t have ssrs sspr configured. Which is gated by p1

The Fool fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 23, 2020

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The Fool posted:

And you’re not using o365 or azure in any capacity?

E: that message happens when an azuread user tries to reset their password and you don’t have ssrs sspr configured. Which is gated by p1

As far as I or my manager know, no. But I agree we have to be, somewhere. But it's not like I can just call Microsoft and have them look it up!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Microsoft screwed up and didn't handle the fact that people could have a consumer (they call it Personal) Microsoft Live ID account and an O365/M365 account using the same address. They've since disallowed it in certain circumstances, but old accounts are in a lovely limbo. If you find the right portal to reset the Microsoft Live ID, it should work, but if it's on an interface that checks O365/M365 first, like most of them, then you'll run into trouble.

Does this link work?

https://account.live.com/password/reset

Also, you all will probably want to start going through O365/M365 set up, just so you can claim your domain and figure out how this users got in this position. I don't believe you need any licenses to create an account and verify your domain.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 23, 2020

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

punch your domain into this thingy from sharegate: https://www.whatismytenantid.com/

if it returns a guid, you have a o365 tenant out there somewhere and need to get control of it

if it errors, do what my main man internet explorer suggested

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Bob Morales posted:

As far as I or my manager know, no. But I agree we have to be, somewhere. But it's not like I can just call Microsoft and have them look it up!

We've had poo poo like this happen with some sharepoint portals I have the unfortunate pleasure of dealing with inviting external users to. I remember one org had a tenant established for some printer garbage but boy howdy if that cross-tenant invitation didn't create a user account that nobody knew about in there.

If somebody is piloting o365 or Azure AD somewhere, anywhere touching that domain you'll probably find the account there even though it has no right to be.