Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Zil posted:

Want to see this security cam leaked on youtube.

https://youtu.be/XIMLoLxmTDw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

tactlessbastard posted:

https://youtu.be/XIMLoLxmTDw

Well played

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Zil posted:

Well played

It's a robot warehouse. There's no lights.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Zil posted:

Want to see this security cam leaked on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KvxOuC7Bhc

Lazer Vampire Jr.
Mar 31, 2005

Ask me about whatever fat loss diet is popular this month!
Was it Spectrum that was in the news lately about how their psycho CEO was adamantly 'no remote work' despite the pandemic?

AT&T was both incompetent and weirdly efficient with both of my sites 'new' connections.

Absolutely terrible communication from everyone after the sales guy, including the byzantine structure they have for dedicated internet support that goes nowhere because it's all automated IVR poo poo. I finally got access to the management portal login for the new accounts by randomly emailing a regional sales manager that was on the contract paperwork.

Survey tech showed up with no warning or noticed when no one was around to give him access to the wiring closets.

Stapled sheet of paper in the router box was all the config info we got from them, tech just checked the actual circuit and left. Never checked with us to verify if we were up and running.

Circuits both work great though and they took like 15 days from the ink drying to be running, saved us 10k a year in connection costs with more speed. And their automated ticketing for outages was faster to respond than a network admin eyeballing solarwinds alerts with a phone in hand.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
It is quite comical how a communications company can be so bad at... communicating.

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

Despite being able to do 100% of work from home (and having done so for months during the pandemic), we absolutely have to return to building for now due to "perception" Meaning if we aren't in the building, then people might think we don't do enough work to justify our positions.

Great place to work, but this is some dumbass thinking.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
“Estimates should include everything to get the ticket to Done. Excluding QA.”
“Well, uh, it can’t be both. That’s a contradiction. Do you mean everything, or do you actually mean dev work?”
“I don’t see the contradiction.”

:tizzy:

Lazer Vampire Jr.
Mar 31, 2005

Ask me about whatever fat loss diet is popular this month!
Really want to do a satire about how scientists discover "jobtanium" in cubicles which explains why being in the office is more efficient because of the productivity radiation emitting from the 11 year old carpeted cubicle walls.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Lazer Vampire Jr. posted:

Really want to do a satire about how scientists discover "jobtanium" in cubicles which explains why being in the office is more efficient because of the productivity radiation emitting from the 11 year old carpeted cubicle walls.

Old leaders don't want to change man.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Another entry in the Spectrum saga...

Received a call from the local Spectrum Business rep for the area. He was wanting to know if we where ready to order services. He seen a site survey but couldn't find any active orders for service.

:bang:

We have a "When will Spectrum install" betting pot going now at the office. I have $10 on Easter.

I just want to give a company money in exchange for services. :shrug:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

no-where near your troubles, but I'm on week 3 of trying to get a another IP address provisioned to our headquarters location from our regional isp

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I spent 6 months trying to get an ISP to install a circuit in a very large building that had multiple, large, distinct fiber runs and all they needed to do was cross connect and run fiber up a pre-existing riser. They're all awful.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I've often had good experiences with the onsite techs, but everything beyond that is usually awful. The job orders are so often bizarrely wrong.

"You wanted to turn up the new circuit? It says here to disconnect all service and burn the building down."

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We have Spectrum bringing in fiber right now, they have to go under the parking lot to follow the existing coax. Works out well because our existing fiber from telco comes in the other side of the property.

However, the guy said he's just bringing in fiber for TV and there's no data on the order...

J
Jun 10, 2001

gently caress ISPs all around. I am just so tired of telling people their home internet connection is demonstrably poo poo, but by the time their ISP actually sends a tech to take a look, the problem isn't happening anymore and they shrug and gently caress off until it inevitably happens again 2 seconds after the tech leaves.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Ratmtattat posted:

Despite being able to do 100% of work from home (and having done so for months during the pandemic), we absolutely have to return to building for now due to "perception" Meaning if we aren't in the building, then people might think we don't do enough work to justify our positions.

Great place to work, but this is some dumbass thinking.

What is the perception of employees dying to PR firms?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Just found out that a bunch of work we did was in fact done wrong, because we did what our client asked us to do, and not what that person's customer actually asked for.

I don't understand why people feel the need to interpret and re-write requests when the forward button is right there in their email client. You're not helping anybody.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Does anyone here use Jira Service Desk? This thing seems super rear end backwards to configure. We currently use Freshservice but they apparently want to put this in ON PREM despite them not selling new licenses past Feb 1 next year.

Like I have all employees added as ‘customers’ who can login to the helpdesk portal portion, but they can also log into the jira portal and just not have access to anything since they’re unlicensed?

As someone who’s been admining jira and confluence for the last 8 years this product seems really dumb.

Yeah, we switched over to it a few years ago and I got stuck admining it. It's a pain in the rear end in a lot of ways but I guess I've got stockholm syndrome and like it well enough overall.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

stevewm posted:

It is quite comical how a communications company can be so bad at... communicating.

I owe my living to this. I work on software from a former ATT spin off whose support is so bad other folks pay us to deal with them.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I hate when people won't let you fix one thing before they start bitching about another

What's my wiki login? I can't get on!

How come I can't reset my password!

What are the domain password requirements it keeps rejecting everything!

Blblalalalblablalal

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
What a comcastic morning

Looks like there's some kind of outage hitting a lot of the country, but not a total outage at least most of our sites were spared

...save for the site that's the most sensitive to downtime. At least this seems to have convinced them to opt for a backup source of internet.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bob,

Add these to our AV and Firewall

https://gist.github.com/aaronst/6aa7f61246f53a8dd4befea86e832456

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bob Morales posted:

I hate when people won't let you fix one thing before they start bitching about another

What's my wiki login? I can't get on!

How come I can't reset my password!

What are the domain password requirements it keeps rejecting everything!

Blblalalalblablalal

SSO all the things

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Well poo poo.

I'm working with a general contractor to get a new window installed in my house. They send me a quote and a link to pay 50% with my credit card. When I finish filling out the form it takes me to https://www.jotform.com/ and I get this "oh poo poo" feeling, because right the on the front page:

quote:

Create online forms and publish them. Get an email for each response. Collect data.

I enter my credit card information and it. loving. gets. emailed. to. them.

Shame on me for not looking hard at a site before I give it my CC info. And shame on those fucktards for using a form generating site to collect financial information.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I assume you contacted your card issuer and went full nuclear with that contractor for violating PCI compliance?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Love to have two months worth of work invalidated in a single e-mail.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Agrikk posted:

Well poo poo.

I'm working with a general contractor to get a new window installed in my house. They send me a quote and a link to pay 50% with my credit card. When I finish filling out the form it takes me to https://www.jotform.com/ and I get this "oh poo poo" feeling, because right the on the front page:

I enter my credit card information and it. loving. gets. emailed. to. them.

Shame on me for not looking hard at a site before I give it my CC info. And shame on those fucktards for using a form generating site to collect financial information.

Looking at that page, there is a good chance that the CC info is not mailed, but that the payment is handled by Jotform.
https://www.jotform.com/online-payments/

So you probably didn't do anything wrong.

Jotform for sure keeps a copy of all the stuff you typed in though, and will sell it to marketers.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

HR is so stupid

If you're a doctor, your first name isn't "doctor"

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
lol tell that to doctors.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

"Dear PM: The massive two roll plotter will not fit where you marked off on the floorplan, and also there's no network jack there."

<project manager gets cabling vendor to install network jack and asks me for installation status update>

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Not your problem, they'll find out on moving day.

Re:Signatures, my signature has never been anything more than name, title, company in plain text. Any request to change it has gone unread into the trash without consequence because gently caress you HR, get a real job.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I don't use a signature and when I reply to emails I intentionally set it to drop all formatting and go plaintext and remove any attached images

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

"Dear PM: The massive two roll plotter will not fit where you marked off on the floorplan, and also there's no network jack there."

<project manager gets cabling vendor to install network jack and asks me for installation status update>

We had one of those and they kept wanting to move it around, as it took about a cubicle worth of space. They wanted to put it downstairs, and then back upstairs. This required a forklift.

Then they wanted to put it in the warehouse in some back corner, so it was out of the way. This required a forklift, again. And we had to run cable back there.

After they realized how dumb of an idea it was to put a printer so far away, they put it back in the office it was in to begin with.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'm totally cool with handling delivery and installation even though it won't fit, because once the initial setup is done it can be moved around without being a big deal. It's just annoying that we have every opportunity to get it all done in one shot and that's not going to happen because everyone is stupid all the time.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bob Morales posted:

HR is so stupid

If you're a doctor, your first name isn't "doctor"

Maybe they've been watching Fargo

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm totally cool with handling delivery and installation even though it won't fit, because once the initial setup is done it can be moved around without being a big deal. It's just annoying that we have every opportunity to get it all done in one shot and that's not going to happen because everyone is stupid all the time.

I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but it would seem that you work with idiots.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Ahhh I got handed another half-started project with no documentation

Bonus points for involving an old hybrid analog/ip phone system! (Mitel 3300)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Lol phones. If I had to find a silver lining in the last six months it’s that all our clients are now on softphones connecting to a cloud service that someone else is responsible for, and all the Avaya stuff clogging up their offices is going in the bin whenever they start getting ready to reopen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

Lol phones. If I had to find a silver lining in the last six months it’s that all our clients are now on softphones connecting to a cloud service that someone else is responsible for, and all the Avaya stuff clogging up their offices is going in the bin whenever they start getting ready to reopen.

We got migrated from Shoretel to Mitel (the in-house, not the cloud offering; "Mitel Connect"), and apparently Mitel laid off all of the Shoretel engineers who understood the product when they bought them, so it's been a loving dumpster fire. We're buying a new phone system now, and we're only buying a handful of hard phones, almost everyone will be on soft phones (we'll have some conference phones and maybe a handful of handsets).

Very much looking forward to it.