Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

I said what I said.

ETA: I snipe what I meant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Sheep posted:

In phone interviews if I don't know something I just say "would you mind if I run upstairs and thumb through my textbooks to see if I have the "on hand" or whatever. The next best thing to actively studying and learning is not throwing out the textbooks you used in the past.

"Okay, looked it up in Knuth, give me ten minutes to translate the assembler into C..."

"In your distant and fog-shrouded land, has nobody heard of class libraries?"

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

KillHour posted:

Ask them to name a subject they think sounds interesting but don't know a lot about. Since they themselves were forced to admit they don't know a lot about it, they'll be more comfortable talking about it in those terms. And when you're talking to someone about something they don't know a lot about, you don't normally want to go at it with "do you know x fact?" That literally will never come up in a real job situation. You want to approach it in the same way they would be expected to in the job. If they need to make their thing work with some API they've never heard of, roleplay as the expert they need to work with to get the information and see how they go about doing that. If it's about making sure they can point someone in the right direction, ask if they can help you find information on some question and see how they respond. Yes, the ability to handle that specific kind of pressure is useful but that's something you can develop through coaching - you don't need to eliminate someone because they aren't experts at it. Nobody crumples into a ball because their coworker asks if they know if an endpoint is expecting a GET or POST offhand and they don't know, but they might if being asked in an interview.

I'm, uh, I'm REASONABLY sure that AWS is not going to change their interviewing process because a random poster on a homonecrotic* forum suggested to one of their employees that they should.

*not mine, stolen from a recent post in another thread

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

SyNack Sassimov posted:

I'm, uh, I'm REASONABLY sure that AWS is not going to change their interviewing process because a random poster on a homonecrotic* forum suggested to one of their employees that they should.

*not mine, stolen from a recent post in another thread
Amazon's interviewing process is a legend for sucking in irrelevant ways. When my husband interviewed, he was coached by his recruiter to look up Amazon's Leadership Principles and fit as many of them in as he could shoehorn into the conversation. He did. He got the job. He resigned because it was Hell on earth.

Cargo-culting the interview process for FAANG is a great way to implement a hazing culture that doesn't actually work well at any of those companies, but it doesn't matter because they're both hiring from and discarding the top N% to start with. If you, Fred Startup McNoname, ask a senior network engineer to code BizBuz on a whiteboard, they will laugh at you and go work somewhere else.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Yea, having been through multiple FAANG recruiting circuits, part of the interview process is definitely weeding out those who won't happily huff the executive team's farts.

That said, everyone's desperate for mid/high-level individual contributors, so :wave: to the two or three VPs lurking in these threads.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Amazon's interviewing process is a legend for sucking in irrelevant ways. When my husband interviewed, he was coached by his recruiter to look up Amazon's Leadership Principles and fit as many of them in as he could shoehorn into the conversation. He did. He got the job. He resigned because it was Hell on earth.

I just attended one of their interview prep calls today

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Best of luck!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Bob Morales posted:

I just attended one of their interview prep calls today

Good luck! Is it for an IT role? If there’s any coding component get cracking on the leetcode, I’ve heard brutal things about the coding/systems design loops.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The Iron Rose posted:

Good luck! Is it for an IT role? If there’s any coding component get cracking on the leetcode, I’ve heard brutal things about the coding/systems design loops.

Thanks! Cloud support monkey, not a developer.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jan 22, 2022

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Bob Morales posted:

Thanks guy. Cloud support monkey, not a developer.

heh

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

Thanks guy. Cloud support monkey, not a developer.

I got submitted for one of those roles by a recruiter but apparently the fact that I applied to a role with AWS independently a year+ ago meant that they didn't want a recruiter submitting me.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Phone typo, meant to say "thanks guy" as to also include Arsenic Lupin

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I got submitted for one of those roles by a recruiter but apparently the fact that I applied to a role with AWS independently a year+ ago meant that they didn't want a recruiter submitting me.

One of their recruiters or some rando?

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Bob Morales posted:

Phone typo, meant to say "thanks guy" as to also include Arsenic Lupin

Who is also not a guy, as I recall.

Or did you mean thanks guys, in the non-gendered sense.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Just say folks

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
folks is good, guys is fine, amusing insults are best

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

How do you feel about cowpoke

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Who is also not a guy, as I recall.

Or did you mean thanks guys, in the non-gendered sense.

iPhone auto correct is dumb

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The Fool posted:

Just say folks

I could swear I read an article on The Atlantic about why you shouldn't

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The Iron Rose posted:

folks is good, guys is fine, amusing insults are best

Thank you The Iron Rose

Is it The, or The?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That's been standard for as long as I've been in the tech industry. Nobody wants to pay recruiter fees if they already saw the candidate without them, even though they will never actually check their old files for candidates.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

A ticket that is a >10 email long chain with a irrelevant subject, and the IT-facing email is "please fix this for Joe I'm going on holiday :)"

Fix what.

Dug through the chain, it's not even a system we manage. There is a screenshot at least from Joe that shows the error they're having. Naturally the screenshot also shows that the error is telling them exactly what to do, and also shows them not doing it.

Solution: fill in the missing field :nallears:

Oh and of course this came in on a Friday afternoon.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've gone back to people who just forward me a message asking for help with "can you summarise the issues here please, this is a 20 message thread with four people involved and no indication of what problems have been fixed or worked on already".

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Large issue this morning, we isolate the problem to a core firewall and traffic going through it. Traffic is fine until it crosses that device. Group in charge of device is convinced to failover to the HA device, problem clears up. Still have some issues, but most of the problems are solved.
Then the managers stumble into the call, and begin to second guess everyone, or send people down rabbit holes chasing problems that were already solved. Then another person kramers into the call, says he sees an alert from a network switch at a remote branch.
Then another manager comes in, is convinced its the internet circuit. Management tool says there isn't. He goes away, comes in a few minute later "So what about the internet circuit, why is no one looking at it." Then disappears.

Meanwhile, the problem is starting to reoccur on the 2nd firewall, and that is being mostly ignored because people are chasing whatever word last took hold in a manager's brain.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I feel like every one of my calls goes like that. It really is staggering.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Internet Explorer posted:

I feel like every one of my calls goes like that. It really is staggering.

Its gotten significantly worse in the last year. We once had a manager that would spin up a second call just for the managers to keep them out of the tech call. Basically dangled some keys in front of them and they let people work. That guy left.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I straight up left my last bridge because of too many "stakeholders", told my manager I would update him when I found something. He was OK with that.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

The Fool posted:

Just say everypony

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Bob Morales posted:

I could swear I read an article on The Atlantic about why you shouldn't

The primary purpose of those articles is to make people anxious and insecure so they come back for more advice. None of that piddly poo poo matters in a way that can inform your actions.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

We're mid migration to a new set of accounts servers, and the latest version of our accounts software. I'm largely not involved, but I do maintain a script that runs on it as a gMSA, PGP encrypts things and uploads them to a third party over SFTP. Occasionally on the new server I get asked to run a test uploading a single file, 5 minute job and completely understandable request as we move toward go-live.

Except it's suddenly broken. It turns out all the stored credentials are no-longer valid. I fix that and find the PGP keyring is gone. It turns out someone deleted the user profile for the gMSA! Reset PGP, re-write all the credentials and it's working again, but what the gently caress happened to the profile?

It turns out they all got wiped so that they could change the server from US to UK regional settings without having to ask all the existing users to manually change it on their profile (never mind that only devs and sysadmins log in currently). Why did they do that? Because the accounts package breaks subtly, yet horribly if anyone attempts to use it with their date format set to anything other than UK and this is the official fix from the vendor!

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The fix is to stop using US time and date formats.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Sprechensiesexy posted:

The fix is to stop using US time and date formats.

ISO-8061 is the light and the way

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Mr. Fix It posted:

I’ll stick with this format: 11/5/12.

Is it dd/mm/yy? mm/dd/yy? yy/mm/dd? Who knows? Specificity is for suckers.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Mr. Fix It posted:

Q: what's your idea of the perfect date?

A: ISO 8601

Thanks folks I'll be here all week.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Mr. Fix It posted:

:emptyquote:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"Hey we might need to to log into [vendors partner portal] each month and download these updates and then send them to us"

No. Here's instructions to make your own account so you have access to everything you need. I'm not your assistant.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Boss makes a ticket for me. He wants some data gathering, simple powershell job. I write the script and reply to the ticket with the results.

Ignored

Reply asking if he needs anything else

Ignored

Third chase

Ignored

Close ticket with the closing comment being a gif of Rick Astley captioned "you know the rules and so do I"

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Pissing me off: Witnessed a powerful man/client go off on a female coworker over the phone for reasons he wasn't correctly interpreting. (he thought a second issue I brought up that needed addressing was caused by the first issue) Was very demeaning to her, and after I got to clarify and he realized he was wrong he was just like "Okay. We're done." and hung up the phone on her.

Messaged my colleague that it was hosed how he treated her and it broke my heart hearing back that she's used to it being a female in a male-dominated profession. :/

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
gently caress your colleague and gently caress that client. I cannot imagine the poo poo women go through in IT. I hope she's not just taking it and chalking it up to "boys will be boys!".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
My colleague is fine, she was the one being demeaned.