Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
We pretty much only buy HP Probook/Elitebook and they have been rock solid in the last 5 years. So much so, the owners cancelled buying support on new ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

sixth and maimed posted:

We pretty much only buy HP Probook/Elitebook and they have been rock solid in the last 5 years. So much so, the owners cancelled buying support on new ones.

Given how all of our probooks crumbled in our hands after two-three years of usage, i am strongly perplexed about this claim/strategy. Also how do you guys expect to manage SSD and battery wear?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The two in question were consumer grade, and low end at that. But we used eshitbooks at my old job, and they were crap, an absolute pain to do anything with repair wise, even if there wasn't the gold standard Lenovo to compare to. And their docks were loving garbonzo as well, I dont know how many we had to replace cause the slider would break. Lets not even get into HPs software, and their loving website with that accursed right side panel thats always in the way. gently caress HP as a staff, record label and as a motherfuckin crew

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I haven't bought or recommended anything HP since they left me on hold for over an hour after the call center closed for the night a decade ago, and I don't regret maintaining that petty grudge one bit.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
This is silly but I had a sudden urge to play the Founding of Durotar wc3 campaign this evening so I fired up Battle.net for the first time in years and years and what the sweet hell is Warcraft reforged goddamn I don’t have all night

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

it's awful, they *broke the game* and called it a remaster

and by broke I mean not work

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Before I decided to leave my old job, I was given a managerial position and more responsibility, yet my salary or other comp didn't change. Having any type of raise was postponed as "[they] need to level the salaries". The kicker here is that I never asked for a managerial position. Cue 2 months later and I get denied a raise I requested, which obviously, pushed me towards taking an offer elsewhere. There were other factors that made me leave, but salary & poor career prospects were the top reasons. It didn't help to find out that new people were getting paid much better than me. I just happened to sit on top of one of the key systems in the whole company.

Asteroid Alert fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 15, 2022

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Asteroid Alert posted:

Before I decided to leave my old job, I was given a managerial position and more responsibility, yet my salary or other comp didn't change. Having any type of raise was postponed as "[they] need to level the salaries". The kicker here is that I never asked for a managerial position. Cue 2 months later and I get denied a raise I requested, which obviously, pushed me towards taking an offer elsewhere. There were other factors that made me leave, but salary & poor career prospects were the top reasons. It didn't help to find out that new people were getting paid much better than me. I just happened to sit on top of one of the key systems in the whole company.

It sucks to find out that way. Be loyal to no one but yourself. Glad you got out though!

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
I also have a recruiting story to share.

I got contacted by a company that was really interested in my skillset. I went through the interviews, aced a few rounds and then got to discuss with some of closer colleagues. I had to do a presentation about my strategy and vision for the role. After I did my presentation, I received a message from the guy running the interview, that they'd want me to do another one. The feedback was: "the team felt like they didn't really get anything tangible out of this. We're willing to give you a chance, so can you do a new presentation and present it to us next week". They asked for a strategy, when they were expecting some concrete actions. Wild.

Suffice to say, I declined and thanked them for the opportunity. This got them really pissed. The guys at the company were bewildered that I would just drop out and not take this awesome chance.

Asteroid Alert fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Aug 16, 2022

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Sounds oddly like they wanted you to do their homework. One of those "they asked me to make a test program" but for ops side.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Might have just been a sunk cost fallacy. This was after meeting so many people and the team lead in question.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

SlowBloke posted:

Given how all of our probooks crumbled in our hands after two-three years of usage, i am strongly perplexed about this claim/strategy. Also how do you guys expect to manage SSD and battery wear?

I'm not an HP advocate but ours seem to keep on running and not having any issues. We also don't replace stuff until it's at least 10 years old or really unfixable so ... :shrug:
Also, just replace the battery/SSD only when absolutely necessary.

It's one of the reasons I resigned.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I'm really just exhausted with Cisco's bullshit

I put all this in my brain because I thought it would make me Cool Network Guy but in reality I just spent three hours fixing an extremely overcomplicated problem that would've taken me like half an hour in GUI on a fortinet stack

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I was anti-Cisco bullshit since before it was cool.

But yeah, agreed 100%. There's really no reason for things to be as complicated as possible. Look at the advancements in ease-of-admin in the storage world over the past 10-20 years. It's night and day.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I work with a lot of Cisco gear and mostly I like it fine. It's been very reliable for us, although the pricing and licensing have gone completely off the rails lately. One thing that drives me absolutely insane about Cisco, though, is their piss-poor documentation. Tons of words to say nothing. I read a Cisco knowledge base article and it takes me 15 minutes and when I get to the end I realize I've learned nothing. Yes, you tell me what commands to enter. Yes, you tell me what is happening technically under the hood, albeit in the most arcane way possible. But you never tell me anything about what this feature does or why I might want to use it. Every technical writer they have should be replaced.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's just technical writing in general. I can't name any software I've ever used that had a good reference. They're all written either for a complete beginner or are so over the top verbose it's unintelligible. Either way you have to read a ton of text for every task.

At least they've gotten good at code blocks so you can spam the scroll wheel until you find a command that sorta looks like what you want to do and then read the surrounding paragraphs to figure things out.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Example of decent technical writing: Microsoft, it’s rough in places but it is well documented and easy to read and includes the what why how usually

Example of the worst ever: all of hashicorps poo poo was written by what seems to be a really dumb person trying to sound smart

i am a moron fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Aug 17, 2022

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I realize I started a new position but I wish I had a little more 1 on 1 training in what I'm doing

once it's explained to me it's really easy, I just don't know what the gently caress they're saying half the time because they'll say a word I'm not familiar with

so I ask for explanation, and they do, but I feel like an idiot for having to ask

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

i am a moron posted:

Example of decent technical writing: Microsoft, it’s rough in places but it is well documented and easy to read and includes the what what how usually

Example of the worst ever: all of hashicorps poo poo was written by what seems to be a really dumb person trying to sound smart

literally the only parts of hashi docs that are useful are the lists of specific configuration items that are available for a given item

and there's still a non-zero chance that it'll be wrong

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

The Fool posted:

literally the only parts of hashi docs that are useful are the lists of specific configuration items that are available for a given item

and there's still a non-zero chance that it'll be wrong

Like when I was learning and reading any conceptual documentation I thought I was just too dumb to grasp it. After semi-mastering TF I’ve realized whoever wrote most of their stuff is a god tier huffer of their own farts because nothing is as complicated as their docs make it out to be. And that’s just Terraform I couldn’t imagine using their docs for Consul or anything else they offer

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

i am a moron posted:

Example of decent technical writing: Microsoft, it’s rough in places but it is well documented and easy to read and includes the what why how usually

I can't think of anyone who has actual good documentation, but Microsoft's doc's are at least not too painful to deal with.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Bargearse posted:

I can't think of anyone who has actual good documentation, but Microsoft's doc's are at least not too painful to deal with.

Same. But MS has volume and it’s written in a way that you can usually understand and they use a lot of pictures. I think their older stuff is too verbose sometimes but they have a LOT of great step by steps out there. Even when it’s not the best I feel like there’s enough there for me to figure out what’s really going on, plus it’s all just a Google search away

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I realize I started a new position but I wish I had a little more 1 on 1 training in what I'm doing

once it's explained to me it's really easy, I just don't know what the gently caress they're saying half the time because they'll say a word I'm not familiar with

so I ask for explanation, and they do, but I feel like an idiot for having to ask

That's just impostor syndrome. Asking questions about the basics on your first few days is normal, and unless your trainer is an idiot, they'll be glad that you're asking them now instead of six months later (or even worse, never asking).

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

ponzicar posted:

That's just impostor syndrome. Asking questions about the basics on your first few days is normal, and unless your trainer is an idiot, they'll be glad that you're asking them now instead of six months later (or even worse, never asking).

I'll blame it on my ADD (been wondering if there's also autism because of tiktok) then

But yeah it's not hard but like today I got sent on a spiral because someone said there was something I needed to look up, but they said a word that has no correlation to anything within the systems we normally look at (this is week 2) and I'm scrounging around to understand what they're talking about, I reach back out to the lead who's training, and I'm like "what" and he points me at looking at the data a specific way, so I look at that, and don't see a 1:1 correlation to what we've typically been doing.

Basically IP addresses have to match a number and if they don't match that number, we don't approve it. So I send an email off to the guy who can fix the stuff related to the specific IP addresses, and he said he already did it last year, and points me to a ticket where he did something on those servers, but those servers refer to the target machine via ip and not the source machines, additionally referring to their dns name, which is not the same as their IP addresses. Our tracking triggers on the IP addresses, (it lists, but doesn't care about the domain name other than as a data point). I point this out that the IP is incorrect for what was listed (he listed each different server with the target ip instead of the source ip) and he's like, no, the ip is the same it's just the subnet mask.

Then I go down a, "what's this mean again that I learned in 10th grade, maybe I forgot the terms since I'm not as familiar anymore" and I'm thinking I'm stupid. I spend 15 minutes reading, realize that I wasn't misinterpreting, he just put in the data in a way that was confusing, and I'm back at square 1 and not quite sure whether I should push him to submit the correct forms so I can exclude the servers or just wait till tomorrow to have my team lead explain whatever I'm missing (or not missing) so I just defer to the latter.

All the while I feel like I'm taking crazy pills because I feel like I wasn't reading the data wrong, it was just inputted poorly in a way that caused me to second guess what was being requested.

all the while we are using at least 2 different things to track this kind of compliance, and in some cases 4+ tools too.

edit: there's little to no documentation, so I've been going over the team's notes, which are all over the loving place, and formatting them in a more easier to find way, but some of which I can't touch as much as I want because the person making the notes is the team lead who basically throws all his notes for various things in the same bucket instead of organizing them into better folders, so I'm having to tiptoe around making sure he wont get upset with me totally reorganizing the data as a newbie so he can still find the data, and having to deal with the disorganization, while I'm adding more details to the group notes in my downtime. I'd love to rip out specific notes from their section and put it into the related folders but I'm worried he'll not be able to find it, even though he gave me permission to organize it.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Aug 17, 2022

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

You aren’t taking crazy pills sometimes stuff just be like that. Maybe you do understand perfectly what’s going on or maybe you don’t - asking those questions is what’s important and self doubt is just as important as having some perfect frame of reference in terms of being good at what you do. As long as you think you don’t know it all you’ll be fine, loving ask aaawwwaaayyy

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm confident enough that if I know what is expected of me, that I can just roll with it, I've been doing IT stuff in various forms for 8+ years and I've worked at this job for half that amount, so I'm comfortable enough with the people who I regularly work with....

I don't like feeling like I'm being thrown out the deep end and, relationship wise, I feel like I can tell when I'm annoying people. I don't quite feel like that I am yet, but I worry about stuff like that constantly regardless.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

For sure. As someone who has been in a ton of ambiguous situations, relationship are what matters. Try connecting with the folks you work with first. Then get to work. Knowing people builds trust, and trust makes being unsure easier. I have no idea if this sounds like bullshit or not, but connect with those folks the best you can. Everything else will follow fine. Including questioning what is going on and whether there are better routes

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I've been at my current job for like 3.5 years (and in the industry for 12+) and I still annoy the poo poo out of my engineering team on a nearly daily basis because stuff isn't documented or is just really weird. It led to me having a really good relationship with our engineering team and being one of the first people they ask for feedback, as well as being basically the only field resource who knows how to use [feature] and [other feature].

Take any opportunity you can to ask questions because that's how you learn and become more valuable. Some day, those senior people will move on and you will be the new senior person. If you haven't spent that time asking them questions, that knowledge walks out the door with them.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Microsoft's documentation is decent but the standout thing for me is that you can click the button to open an issue in Github and somebody who actually works with the product will get assigned to look at it. Don't abuse it to raise problems with the product, but if documentation is wrong or unclear it generally gets fixed quite quickly.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Never feel embarrassed for asking technical questions. It reflects well on you that you’re willing to publicly say what you don’t know. It’s especially important to ask questions all the time when you start a new role.

I have a few different teams from current job ask me for advice all the time. Recently I had back to back conversations with one about their k8s migration, and managing feature flags. I had lots to say in the first meeting, but in the second I was really open that it was just something I hadn’t done before and I didn’t have useful info to give. Being honest about where gaps in your knowledge are is essential if you want to be taken seriously as a credible authority.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Bargearse posted:

The worst thing about Microsoft docs is the lag time between an Azure feature going live or moving and the docs being published for it, but then having the old docs still floating around clogging up search results. Once you actually find the right page you are usually golden.

IP addresses can be represented in a fuckton of stupid ways. I've been in your position more than once when going "okay why are you storing the inverse mask of an individual address rather than just the address itself?" and getting shrugs in response.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Company-wide all-hands meeting on Monday.

The CEO says:
Company made record revenue for Q4 (ends in July) and FY22
Company made record profits for Q4, but just shy of record for FY22
Company is focused on backfilling talent from a wave of recent departures
Company is adding a focus on research and development
Company is increasing all prices by 5-10% (depends on product) to combat inflation and the weakening US dollar
Company is afraid of "approaching hurricane" which basically boils down to the minimum corporate tax rate and potential recession

Also:
Company has instituted a blanket hiring freeze, blatantly contradicting the above.
Company is not doing any cost of living adjustments for anyone, despite record everything.
Company instituted stack rankings for performance reviews; one must both be successful/exceptional AND in the top half of their team to be eligible for (minimal) merit raises. This will drive away more talent.
Company will grant stock (RSUs) to employees who gain an exceptional review; it will have a 'lengthy' vesting period. This is a loving joke compared to actual merit increases.
Company is asking everyone to take an extra week of UNPAID vacation to "stave off layoffs". What the gently caress?
Company said "this is your JFK moment: ask not what your company can do for you, but what you can do for your company." gently caress that

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

ConfusedUs posted:

Company-wide all-hands meeting on Monday.

The CEO says:
Company made record revenue for Q4 (ends in July) and FY22
Company made record profits for Q4, but just shy of record for FY22
Company is focused on backfilling talent from a wave of recent departures
Company is adding a focus on research and development
Company is increasing all prices by 5-10% (depends on product) to combat inflation and the weakening US dollar
Company is afraid of "approaching hurricane" which basically boils down to the minimum corporate tax rate and potential recession

Also:
Company has instituted a blanket hiring freeze, blatantly contradicting the above.
Company is not doing any cost of living adjustments for anyone, despite record everything.
Company instituted stack rankings for performance reviews; one must both be successful/exceptional AND in the top half of their team to be eligible for (minimal) merit raises. This will drive away more talent.
Company will grant stock (RSUs) to employees who gain an exceptional review; it will have a 'lengthy' vesting period. This is a loving joke compared to actual merit increases.
Company is asking everyone to take an extra week of UNPAID vacation to "stave off layoffs". What the gently caress?
Company said "this is your JFK moment: ask not what your company can do for you, but what you can do for your company." gently caress that

Time to :sever:

That is redonkulous.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Ok, the first handful of bullet points were so similar to my org that I had to go and actually read the CEO email.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Apparently their JFK moment was camping out in a book store and waiting for the company to drive by.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

This is how a union here announced the result of a strike ballot for postal service workers

https://twitter.com/CWUnews/status/1559942242739036161

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

loving awesome

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Oh my, that makes me happy.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Lol my company also has a internal promotion freeze until who knows when for months now, and is hiring externally... Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Are new contracts significantly worse than the ones existing staff are on?