Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

MANime in the sheets posted:

How is Cisco STILL not asking for a customer ticket # in their RMAs? There's nothing better than digging through our DB looking for an RMA done six months ago where the old part was never returned.

They give you a SR number and the RMA number at least. Best is when they lose something, and call you with threats to charge you random prices for gear - because they don’t know what tracking numbers they supplied with the packing or can’t see what you got from POWR.

If it gets lost by the shipper good luck they seem to take a while to get that they can call me all day and ???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Partycat posted:

They give you a SR number and the RMA number at least. Best is when they lose something, and call you with threats to charge you random prices for gear - because they don’t know what tracking numbers they supplied with the packing or can’t see what you got from POWR.

If it gets lost by the shipper good luck they seem to take a while to get that they can call me all day and ???

Yeah, but sometimes we aren't the guys that ordered the device or replaced it - we just get the emails from Cisco. Sometimes I literally have no idea even what company it was for if a serial number search turns up nothing, because there is almost no useful information in their system.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Surely you'd be tracking the RMA/ticket numbers of third-party companies within your own support tickets? The need to RMA something doesn't happen without a ticket-creating event occurring first.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

You could use a piece of poo poo like Remedyforce and not be able to search the contents of tickets reliably - that could happen

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Things slightly annoying me:

Large corporations that don't release MSI versions of applications. I'm looking at you DocuSign. :( Yes, I can do the work to transform the exe but it can't be that difficult on their end to distribute an MSI version.

Policy changes that no one tells me about. We have 2 departments including IT in a secure room. We've let people in this entire time I've worked here. Today, one of the other departments decided we shouldn't answer the door but no one sent anyone an e-mail letting anyone else know about it. How the gently caress are we supposed to follow this policy if no one tells us?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Irritated Goat posted:

Large corporations that don't release MSI versions of applications. I'm looking at you DocuSign. :( Yes, I can do the work to transform the exe but it can't be that difficult on their end to distribute an MSI version.

Completely agree.

This is PKGs on the mac side for me as well. I hate when I get a dmg because it means I have to install it then grab it out of applications and throw it into composer. Its not hard, just annoying.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Pissing me off: In spite of months of communications and multiple hard cut-off date rollbacks, I still have people throwing an unholy poo poo about a change we made to our service and how "YOUR FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE IS COSTING US REVENUE!!!!"

Mother fucker I have the email receipts right here, gently caress off.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Our marketing department left final approval of some printing proofs in the hands of a lady who had already turned in her notice and she's now long gone and I've got 345,600 things sitting on my dock that say 12 oz (464 grams).

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Kyrosiris posted:

Pissing me off: In spite of months of communications and multiple hard cut-off date rollbacks, I still have people throwing an unholy poo poo about a change we made to our service and how "YOUR FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE IS COSTING US REVENUE!!!!"

Mother fucker I have the email receipts right here, gently caress off.

Some clients/partners will never act to make critical changes, no matter how much time you give them, no matter how much you offer to help them make the changes, no matter how many emails and phone calls and service notices you send. Some of them will always sit and spin until they are, surprise, dead in the water.

Alas I have not been able to get my company to let us use the following approach, despite recalictrant partners refusing to do the work they need to do to migrate from the old environment to the new one:

Give them a clear, documented, communicated path to migrate/upgrade, then make the old service progressively shittier.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Thanks Ants posted:

Surely you'd be tracking the RMA/ticket numbers of third-party companies within your own support tickets? The need to RMA something doesn't happen without a ticket-creating event occurring first.

In a world where the onsite teams properly used our ticketing systems, sure.

It's not uncommon for an engineer to notice a problem when he's onsite for something else. He will order the replacement and install it without a single apparent character saved anywhere indicating what he did. Or it's buried in notes for a totally unrelated ticket. Why would he put the request or RMA number in there, he has the Cisco confirmation right here!

There have been several cases where the only way I was able to track down a several thousand dollar brick because somewhere along the way, one of the Cisco emails CC'ed someone not usually on those emails. Forward the poo poo on to him with the world CC'ed and whaddya know, the old part is still in the customer's server room!

Stuff like this is no small part of my growing frustration with my current job. It's frustrating, mind numbing work that saves the company money, but researching emails and old tickets like I'm doing is not a terribly valuable or easily quantifiable skill, and I feel like I'm not learning the things I thought I would be - any company with halfway decent accountability won't have need for this poo poo.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

This sounds a lot like a company that won't fire anyone because then they would have to hire replacements/be short staffed/just lets everyone get away with lazy poo poo things forever.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

TheParadigm posted:

This sounds a lot like a company that won't fire anyone because then they would have to hire replacements/be short staffed/just lets everyone get away with lazy poo poo things forever.

Hmm you don't say

Ask me how much work I've done today (actually don't)

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I'll do you one better. How much work haven't you done today?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

We got a new password change tool for the global LDAP directory.

The tool doesn't allow you to paste into the password field. :cripes:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Is it browser based? There's JavaScript hacks to enable paste. You stash the code in a bookmark and tap it whenever you hit an offending page.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Yeah it is, I'll need to look into that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Day long conversation in group chat about a bug. Solution is found, implemented, and being rolled out. Hour later someone wakes up and pastes the exact same error and wants to know if anyone is aware of it and what might be causing it.

Maybe their scroll wheel is broken?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

We have a pretty hands off policy regarding wireless usage, but if your phone is logged into the internal wireless and you're transferring as much data as one of my servers I sure as gently caress am going to have a conversation with your manager.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

The Fool posted:

We have a pretty hands off policy regarding wireless usage, but if your phone is logged into the internal wireless and you're transferring as much data as one of my servers I sure as gently caress am going to have a conversation with your manager.

Out of complete morbid curiosity, how much data are we talking here?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

30gb over 7 days, YouTube, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Our Meraki dashboards look incredible now that the World Cup is in full swing.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

The Fool posted:

30gb over 7 days, YouTube, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat.

Wait until someone sets up a Outlook archive.pst file and the syncs it via ondrive. They had done 80gb in one day setting off all sorts of exfiltration alarms.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Wibbleman posted:

Wait until someone sets up a Outlook archive.pst file and the syncs it via ondrive. They had done 80gb in one day setting off all sorts of exfiltration alarms.

Ask me about forgetting to throttle azure file sync when testing it and getting an alert because 500gb of data was transferred overnight

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Azure network security. Holy gently caress is it pissing me off.

Microseg feels like a total afterthought that was shamelessly tacked on to an otherwise useful platform. Application security groups, a key tool to applying nsg rules, isn't even accessible in the GUI. You powershell it in there and poof, it suddenly exists! But it isn't editable unless you go back to powershell.

Which, fine, I'm doing everything in powershell anyways, but trying to get the VM team to get their heads out of the dashboard isn't easy.

Also, azure refuses to allow any overlapping IPs and services, which is a total pain when porting from every other microseg platform that happily allows it.

My days are filled with insane powershell formatting scripts to keep azure happy, and I'm certainly not.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Just discovered a piece of software we use for some inexplicable reason changes your Windows' default printer to whatever printer you have selected to use inside the software. This is quite annoying as we generally only print to a PDF inside this software to save reports, and thus it is constantly changing the default printer to the drat PDF writer.

Why would you do this?!

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

stevewm posted:

Just discovered a piece of software we use for some inexplicable reason changes your Windows' default printer to whatever printer you have selected to use inside the software. This is quite annoying as we generally only print to a PDF inside this software to save reports, and thus it is constantly changing the default printer to the drat PDF writer.

Why would you do this?!

Look, if you code it up to just set the default printer to the one selected, you don't have to write code to print to the correct printer. :downs:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Irritated Goat posted:

Policy changes that no one tells me about. We have 2 departments including IT in a secure room. We've let people in this entire time I've worked here. Today, one of the other departments decided we shouldn't answer the door but no one sent anyone an e-mail letting anyone else know about it. How the gently caress are we supposed to follow this policy if no one tells us?

:same:

We recently had changes to some of our IT apps and sites but weren't made aware of them. One was for our Cisco Unity app for phones, one day a week ago everyone just...lost access. Found out our voice/network team had disabled our accounts and were supposedly instructed to do so, then backtracked when people started pushing tickets to their team because our team couldn't help :lol: Within like 30 minutes we were all back in the system, no clue who's bright idea it was to remove people in the first place without telling anyone, we got zero notification about it.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

BOOTY-ADE posted:

:same:

We recently had changes to some of our IT apps and sites but weren't made aware of them. One was for our Cisco Unity app for phones, one day a week ago everyone just...lost access. Found out our voice/network team had disabled our accounts and were supposedly instructed to do so, then backtracked when people started pushing tickets to their team because our team couldn't help :lol: Within like 30 minutes we were all back in the system, no clue who's bright idea it was to remove people in the first place without telling anyone, we got zero notification about it.

We have been rolling out LogicMonitor to replace Solarwinds. Nobody took the time to tune the alerts from it ahead of time, so we have been investigating each one and turning off the alert if it's irrelevant. We have another system that we generally use for Windows servers, so the rule had been 'disable all Windows alerts'. A few months ago we apparently decided to use LM for SOME Windows monitoring. This was mentioned in a department meeting that only about half the department attended (people working 10p-8a don't attend 4pm meetings, people have days off, etc.). This was not communicated in any other fashion.

Weeks later we had a customer's email go down, turns out the drives with the DBs were full and we got no alerts. Huh, weird. Someone turned off alerts on this server. Turn them on, fix it. A couple weeks after that it happened again. Same customer.

I was on shift for the second one and it took an Abbott and Costello routine between mgmt and me before they finally realized what was going on and had to undo ALL of the alert tuning we'd manually done and finally made sure everyone was aware that we don't turn off Windows alerts any more.

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

stevewm posted:

Why would you do this?!

This isn't the 'Allow Windows to manage my default printer' option under Settings > Printers & Scanners (in Windows 10) is it? That sets the default printer to be whichever one you last used.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Owners daughter complained about blurry logos on our invoices. I said the logo isn't blurry per se, but it's the way the image is blown up when it's printed.

Our software uses the same logo on the web site it runs on as what it prints....and they use a goofy HTML engine for some printed documents, and PDF for the newer documents. So if you use all HTML or all PDF documents it's fine, but if you mix them, you'll get a logo that goes halfway across the check

Anyway, I suggested we try a different logo because half the thing she's seeing is all the edges and antialiasing in the logo. A black logo would be a good thing to try.

She sends me the current color logo with a black background instead of a white background.

THIS WOMAN IS IN CHARGE OF MARKETING

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Dumb printer changes chat: a previous version of ScreenConnect used to add all of the printers of whatever (Customer Support) Agent connected to a remote computer, so you'd have Joe-Canon-Printer1, Joe-Canon-Printer-Fax, Joe-Acrobat-PDF-Writer [...], Bob-HP-Printer [... etc] plus all of the normal printers on the client machine. It was absolutely infuriating, plus having to manually clear them out was annoying as hell without Powershell access.

They fixed it to default to off in a later minor version but still it should have never released in a default on state to begin with.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

GigaFuzz posted:

This isn't the 'Allow Windows to manage my default printer' option under Settings > Printers & Scanners (in Windows 10) is it? That sets the default printer to be whichever one you last used.

No, that was my first thought, but we don't use that. And it is also happening on Windows 7 machines.

I have confirmed this software is the culprit. It happens soon as you open it.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

She sends me the current color logo with a black background instead of a white background.

THIS WOMAN IS IN CHARGE OF MARKETING

I run into this a lot.. So called "graphic designers" who when you ask for a high resolution copy of an image, will reply.. "What's DPI?" :mad:

stevewm
May 10, 2005
One of our branch locations called me with this comical one:

It was rapidly counting backwards and eating up so much CPU I could barely get task manager open to kill it.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

stevewm posted:

One of our branch locations called me with this comical one:

It was rapidly counting backwards and eating up so much CPU I could barely get task manager open to kill it.

My cousin drove with a laptop to Thanksgiving, I'm assuming still open, blaring We are Microsoft you are broadcasting viruses! Please call now! We will fix your PC!

I assume this because they opened the door with it yelling in their hands then handed me it saying make it better. (I got beer).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Why do I have to waste my time explaining to someone why they can't use Educational Licensed software at work?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Just delete stupid messages

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

"Why can't I run iron-on transfers through the copier?"

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Not with that attitude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

Why do I have to waste my time explaining to someone why they can't use Educational Licensed software at work?

Advise them that that would violate the software licensing, then find out if Microsoft offers a bounty.