Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

If you don't give a poo poo about customer satisfaction, making the phone tree as confusing as possible is a very valid cost savings measure.

Also if you know the customer has nowhere else to go.

And if they do try to cancel, just dump them on retentions who will cut the rate for a year and they'll still keep a customer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I had a company where each number you called told you to call another number to answer your specific enquiry.

The cunning part was that after 6 numbers, you ended up back at the beginning.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Thanks Ants posted:

Lots of add-ins still don't work on anything other than 32-bit.

Has anyone actually had an add-in that they needed to work with Office64 that didn't?

I'm actually curious because, while yes that is a message flagged in Office64, I know no one who has bumped into that issue.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It was a problem with some meeting federation plugin things that want to shove a dial-in or video bridge details into your invites, granted it isn't something that comes up as much any more. It's probably fair to say that if your add-in works on Click-to-Run 32-bit Office then it will be fine on 64-bit.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Agrikk posted:

Has anyone actually had an add-in that they needed to work with Office64 that didn't?

I'm actually curious because, while yes that is a message flagged in Office64, I know no one who has bumped into that issue.

Yeah. It was extremely annoying because not only was it shoved down my throat by the company that bought my client, but it's Microsoft's own product. Namely, Dynamics CRM's Outlook plugin. The 64-bit version has a bunch of mysterious bugs that basically crash the plugin and cause it to stop working (and turn itself off). Very inconsistent though, nothing that reliably triggered it, just general crappiness. Installed the 32 bit Office and the 32 bit plugin et voila the plugin's rock solid. Whoops I misspoke, forgot this was the internet, "ayyy walla" the plugin works.

Dear Internet Explorer, unlike my experience with Unifi this experience is far more recent, as in January of this year. I actually ended up reimaging all the machines (unrelated-ish, it was more because the acquiring company wanted enough different things that I said screw it easier to reimage with MDT than bother uninstalling a bunch of stuff and installing new stuff).

Before that I was all on board with "gently caress that noise who makes plugins that don't work with 64 bit Office in this day and age I'm not installing no 32 bit get lost", but yeah, as per usual CRM is the shittiest of poo poo and it's good to know Dynamics hasn't progressed much since I used version 3.0 in one of my first jobs out of college.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I really don’t get how people do that anyway.

Ask me about using 70+ megabyte Excel sheets.

Actually don’t, it’s too early to drink.

The design doc for Falcon 4.0 was a goddamn 11MB excel document with no images embedded. I had to talk to IT to get permission to receive it in my Inbox as I was one of the outsource Project Managers. This was an 11MB file in 1998 note.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Anyone have the Red Sox score?

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Pretty sure the Filesite 8.5 addon doesn't work so well with 64 bit Office 2010. Yes, we still run both of those things, stop laughing. We can't upgrade until someone decides whether we're going to NetDocuments or not next year.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

SeaborneClink posted:

Anyone have the Red Sox score?

1-0 Sox up bottom of the 7th

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

gently caress windows and its insistence on upgrading drivers willy nilly, especially to a driver that fucks up everything. Gah. Also gently caress EVERYTHING wireless.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Wibla posted:

gently caress windows and its insistence on upgrading drivers willy nilly, especially to a driver that fucks up everything. Gah. Also gently caress EVERYTHING wireless.

My favorite thing about upgrading drivers is when a freshly downloaded driver's listed release date and what Windows thinks the release date is are different. I once upgraded a driver from 2014 to a driver listed as being from 2018. After install the listed release date of the driver was from 2009.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
The power is still out, the outside air temp is at 100F, the inside air temp is approaching 85F, and the kids are going insane.

Oh hey the red Sox are playing Detroit again today

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Heat will slow them kids down eventually

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Partycat posted:

Heat will slow them kids down eventually

End of the fifth, tigers up 2-0

dox
Mar 4, 2006

fishmech posted:

Why are you insistent on using 32 bit Office? It's 2018.

If you start thinking about "needing" 64-bit Office, you're so far gone no one can save you. The access database comes next.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

anthonypants posted:

It's not really a meme when people create spreadsheets that exceed the row/column limit in 32-bit Excel, or when Excel crashes due to out of memory errors.

They're not doing either of those things, doing either of those things gives a specific and clear error message. They just have random crashes because they make overlarge and overly linked Excel files all running on different SMB shares across the country.
We've got a lot of people that torture Excel like the examples above. Excel is not a tool for heavy data analytics or business intelligence, but welp.

fishmech posted:

Why are you insistent on using 32 bit Office? It's 2018.

Even Microsoft says DON'T USE 64-BIT OFFICE ARBITRARILY. You can't just upgrade a certain office program, they've all got to go and congratulations, you just broke 95% of Outlook add-ins.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

“I need more memory”

You’re using 2GB out of 8GB. I can give you more RAM but it won’t help.

“I need a faster computer”

You’re not even maxing out a single CPU core

Excel will say it’s “out of resources”. Who knows what that even means. Quit trying to pivot 250k line files

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Good news, fellas. The red Sox really kicked rear end tonight

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

dox posted:

If you start thinking about "needing" 64-bit Office, you're so far gone no one can save you. The access database comes next.

Not an emptyqoute

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Client with acknowledged power issues on their site still complaining when network devices reboot, won't call an electrician :thumbsup:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The design doc for Falcon 4.0 was a goddamn 11MB excel document with no images embedded. I had to talk to IT to get permission to receive it in my Inbox as I was one of the outsource Project Managers. This was an 11MB file in 1998 note.

You worked on Falcon 4.0? :o

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Quit trying to pivot 250k line files

Not sure why this is something a user should be told not to do, it's a legitimate use of Excel.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Steakandchips posted:

Not sure why this is something a user should be told not to do, it's a legitimate use of Excel.

If it breaks Excel...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I am bad at communication

My boss: "The owner of the company wants an update on the new phone system"

Me: "Can you send her the status update I sent you last week? Nothing has changed since then"

My boss: "She wants to know when training will be."

Me: "We can't do training until the system is completed. We are still shooting for the end of August, which I said in the last status update"

My boss: "She wants a date."

Me: "I don't have a date. We have bunch of things to do yet."

My boss: "You know her. She wants a date."

Me: "Okay, I'll make up a bullshit date. Don't hold me to it."

My boss: "She also wants to know when each department will be scheduled"

Me: "I don't have a date so how can we know anyone's availability?"

My boss: "The other owner is excited about people taking their new phones back to their desk after training and plugging them in"

Me: "We talked about that. I know it's what the sales guy said but after talking to the project manager it's a bad idea for many reasons. We're just going to have IT install everyone's phones that day and have temporary phones in the training room."

My boss: "Well why the heck"

:shrug:

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Steakandchips posted:

Pivot tables are indistinguishable from magic for most users. 95% of those starstruck people are too awed and terrified to try to learn how to do it themselves ("Quick, I have a meeting in 15 min with upper management and I need you to do that Excel thing again!") and the remainder use them incorrectly or sloppily.

Edit: VVVVV :gonk:

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Nothing like being handed a cum-stained laptop to start out a Monday morning.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Actuarial Fables posted:

I'm pretty sure the words "biohazard" and "OSHA violation" should be included in the diatribe about why you're not going to touch that

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Someone put a Zebra printer ticket in for.

"They have a Zebra printer out there? Since when?"

THIS GUY BOUGHT ONE AT A GARAGE SALE

HE CHANGED THE PRINTHEAD

IT'S STILL PRINTING LIGHT

OMG

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I'm pretty sure the words "biohazard" and "OSHA violation" should be included in the diatribe about why you're not going to touch that

I didn't realize it was bad until I lifted the lid.

Turns out it's one of our sales' personal computers, so that made it easy to give back with a message of "Take it to the Mac store".

cZk
Oct 6, 2014

i am a flight risk
and i am in flight
one of my coworkers just had a customer ask if he could hot-swap his RAM

this is the same guy who hot-swapped his UPS battery and wondered why his entire rack lost power

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Yikes to the laptop.

I was in a meeting and we have one those remote laser pointer things that can move the power point presentation to the next slide.
The meeting starts. The pointer isn't working. My boss checks it, determines that the battery must be dead. replaces the battery. Still won't work. Director is saying gently caress it and wants to start the meeting.
I check out the remote. Slide the switch to on. It started working.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

cZk posted:

one of my coworkers just had a customer ask if he could hot-swap his RAM

Maybe he has a SPARC system?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

He'll definitely have a SPARK system if he tries to hot-swap components.

cZk
Oct 6, 2014

i am a flight risk
and i am in flight

Thanks Ants posted:

nope, just some dell servers haha

not familiar with SPARC, will it actually let you hot-swap RAM? how does that work - where does the data in RAM go?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Some PC servers have "hot"-swap RAM as well. You need to take the module offline first, which causes the memory controller to redistribute the content to the other modules, then you can swap it out and put it back online.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Actuarial Fables posted:

Congrats on taking on Sirotan's old job.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
"This thing fell in the cum bucket and won't turn on anymore."

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Have you tried turning it on?

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
F5 documentation "You want to run a trunk from the F5 to a vPC pair make sure LACP is set to passive"

*Sets LACP to passive*

*Trunk stays down*

*Sets LACP to active*

*Trunk comes up like it was fed a blue pill*

:fuckoff:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

ookiimarukochan posted:

Congrats on taking on Sirotan's old job.

:barf: