Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I missed some of the food at the holiday lunch on Friday as I was late getting to the place because an install took 40 minutes instead of 10.

Meanwhile other people got to "work" from home, wake up late, and mosey on down to lunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

pixaal posted:

Razer has always been a poo poo computer with overpriced cheap parts with flashy lights to attract gamers. Logitch has a cheaper and better made version of just about every product Razer sells.

I really like the deathadder mouse, and logitech doesn't make a similar design. :v:

Fits my hand real well.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Same, Deathadder (or MS Habu as alternative back then, with its fancy highlight, which was basically a Deathadder) is a pretty decent mouse ergonomically. IMO anyway. Too bad these dickheads are pausing every larger Windows 10 upgrade with their driver installer UI. Every time I have to tell it to Never Install. Somehow that won't stick.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015
I fell in love with the Mionix Naos 7000, I've got a second sitting in my closet incase they stop selling them and mine breaks.

I just use a logitech m510 for work. It's amazing how long they've gotten the batteries on their wireless products to last, two AAs has lasted at least 2 years.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Windows Update broke the cloud software for my 10-year-old deathadder and suddenly I couldn't disable the blue lights anymore. I had to open it up and desolder the two lights.

It's still my favorite mouse but Razer makes the user experience worse and worse with every update (and using it plus-and-play is worthless).

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

wa27 posted:

Windows Update broke the cloud software for my 10-year-old deathadder and suddenly I couldn't disable the blue lights anymore. I had to open it up and desolder the two lights.

It's still my favorite mouse but Razer makes the user experience worse and worse with every update (and using it plus-and-play is worthless).

You have a mouse with lights called a deathadder.

Edit: you payed $30 for a mouse with lights called the deathadder.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
poo poo that's pissing me off: hardware which wants their own drivers installed without good reason. Not only is this nice and keyboards, but somehow Win 10 didn't have a certain usb wireless adapter's driver and it couldn't use a generic one. I had to use an actual CD for the first time since Pompeii was wiped out.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Agrikk posted:

You have a mouse with lights called a deathadder.

Edit: you payed $30 for a mouse with lights called the deathadder.

Who cares, it's a really comfortable mouse and the weight of it is pretty good. Not to heavy, not light enough that I forget that I have it.

It could be called the "Dogstile Will Eat Literal poo poo For £5" and i'd buy it.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Razer is poo poo, their software is poo poo and won't let you use your hardware without phoning home, their hardware is poo poo and breaks all the time.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Thanks Ants posted:

What's the law on going on long-term sick leave when you aren't ill, and then showing up at a new job?

Over here at least, sick leave extends your notice period. Since the first month of sick leave is paid by the employer, I'd imagine lots of people would fall sick during their notice period, otherwise.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Steakandchips posted:

Razer is poo poo, their software is poo poo and won't let you use your hardware without phoning home, their hardware is poo poo and breaks all the time.

I've been pretty happy with Corsair gear for the most part. It's a lot more solidly built than Logitech's stuff.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Steakandchips posted:

I mean sure, my old mouse has died after almost 8 years of use and by died I mean "occasionally clicks twice".

I'm on Corsair stuff now (my preference for hardware is "anything that's like, 80% off and cheap) and i've not really noticed a difference. :shrug:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
so our devops team has been screaming about how our stupid broken proxy service has been breaking all their recordkeeping tools. While our proxy is indeed stupid and broken, test your poo poo guys! If you get the same error with the proxy disabled on internal and external networks, chances are it's not a network problem! Test your poo poo and stop throwing hand grenades over the cubicle wall.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Hooooooly poo poo. :mad:

Pissing me off today: I took Friday afternoon off, and asked my colleagues to watch incoming tickets while I was out. Verbally and by email. They agreed. I turn on my computer this morning to see a ton of unassigned tickets. I send out my CYA email and the boss responds: "Oh, I thought you said you were working remotely, not taking PTO." :fuckoff:

mewse
May 2, 2006

pixaal posted:

Razer has always been a poo poo computer with overpriced cheap parts with flashy lights to attract gamers. Logitch has a cheaper and better made version of just about every product Razer sells.

I had a razer copperhead basically disintegrate on me. Rubber coating on the buttons peeled off because of salt+vinegar fingers. Left click switch started phantom double-clicking. The last straw was when the scroll wheel detached itself from one of its inner hubs, rendering it non-functional. Threw it out and haven't bought razer since.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
You know how a lot of places have the magic word for all computer based problems? THE SERVER or THE DATABASE like "Hey internet is down is the server rebooting?" or "My files are missing, did someone do something to the database?"

Here, it's THE SCRIPT. Spoken of reverentially, and always assumed to be omnipresent, omnipotent, and in charge of every single good or bad thing in the company.

Files missing? THE SCRIPT
Need someone added to a distribution list? Run THE SCRIPT
Internet slow? Time to check THE SCRIPT

And I mean yeah, I do a lot of Powershell here. But not the kind end users ever see. I'm willing to bet 80% of our users couldn't successfully *spell* Powershell.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Helpdesk monkeys complaining about THE SCRIPT under their breath?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Cryptocurrency is totally viable you guys, even though it’s generally always used for shady poo poo and acquired through shady means.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

skooma512 posted:

Cryptocurrency is totally viable you guys, even though it’s generally always used for shady poo poo and acquired through shady means.

they figured out how to use to so that you can buy weed with your CC here in Denver.

I was shocked and amazed when I saw an actual use for it

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

dogstile posted:

I mean sure, my old mouse has died after almost 8 years of use and by died I mean "occasionally clicks twice".

I'm on Corsair stuff now (my preference for hardware is "anything that's like, 80% off and cheap) and i've not really noticed a difference. :shrug:
I see yours and my definition of "died" is a little bit different. I've got an old Belkin mouse (With LED rainbow effect trim!) which must be over 10 years old by now where the silver paint on the clicker buttons has been worn off, and very regularly clicks twice.

I really should get a new mouse... some day.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I'm still on the MX518 train. My last one was bought NOS from ebay :v:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Wibla posted:

Same, though mine at home is doing the double clicking thing more than I'd like, but there's really no replacement. :(

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Kyrosiris posted:

Same, though mine at home is doing the double clicking thing more than I'd like, but there's really no replacement. :(

The G400s uses the same mold. I think it too is discontinued now though. I paid $45 for one in 2014, it shouldn't be at $60.

Logitech claims the G402 Hyperion Fury is the replacement and it's a completley different mold, they did this with the MX518 and the G400 series, there's a 6 year gap, going by that 2020 should see a new mouse, just pay the extra for a left over G400 or G400S if you need one now.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
My mx500 has lasted ages because whenever it starts double clicking, I take it apart and gently re-tension the copper spring in the left click mechanism. It's a pain in the rear end to put back in and reassemble, but it's why I haven't bought a mouse in 10+ years.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mice are a wear item, I replace them when they get lovely. :shrug:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

xzzy posted:

Mice are a wear item, I replace them when they get lovely. :shrug:

Logitech had this weird issue of their customers liking their product too much so they stopped making it. Those old mx series mice were incredible. Nothing like them since.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Sickening posted:

Logitech had this weird issue of their customers liking their product too much so they stopped making it. Those old mx series mice were incredible. Nothing like them since.

Scroll up, the G400S is identical to the MX518 in feel.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Sickening posted:

MX310 was my boy, with the second middle button bound to enter, and the thumb buttons on ? and backspace.
then windows stopped using backspace as 'go up one level' and everything went poorly.

now I've got some Chinese knock off that has excellent ergonomics.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

pixaal posted:

Scroll up, the G400S is identical to the MX518 in feel.

It's probably just in my head, but in my experience there are subtle differences in how they track etc.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

RFC2324 posted:

they figured out how to use to so that you can buy weed with your CC here in Denver.

It doesn't actually depend on it tho, they could use literally any other passthru currency. Or continue to use Debit/ATM like the ones that don't want to bother.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Wibla posted:

Mine works fine except the scroll wheel really needs cleaning with some alcohol and maybe q-tips. Or does the cotton come off and make it worse? I try to avoid taking it apart too much, I'm worried about the rubber feet coming off completely and losing the itty bitty spring that holds the mouse wheel in place.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
I was also a MX518 user but after my last one finally started doing the double click thing I swapped to a Benq Zowie EC1-B and have been really really enjoying it, I think I actually prefer it at this point which amazes me because I considered the MX518 to be the best mouse ever made.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

fargom posted:

I was also a MX518 user but after my last one finally started doing the double click thing I swapped to a Benq Zowie EC1-B and have been really really enjoying it, I think I actually prefer it at this point which amazes me because I considered the MX518 to be the best mouse ever made.

I would legit use an mx518 if presented with it, both of mine died after decades. I have to try to find a new speedpad, i've had this one for years but I just spilled a beer on it and I'm not sure if it will clean out.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I would legit use an mx518 if presented with it, both of mine died after decades. I have to try to find a new speedpad, i've had this one for years but I just spilled a beer on it and I'm not sure if it will clean out.

Huh... apparently Logitech re-released an updated version of the mx518 called the mx518 legendary in 2018. They used the same molds so it has the same feel, and with updated internals and switches has a somehow higher life expectancy and is less than 4% lighter than the original making it almost exact in look/feel. I'll have to get one and try it out.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I've been pretty happy with Corsair gear for the most part. It's a lot more solidly built than Logitech's stuff.

I bought a steelseries because I wanted something better than a piece of poo poo. It regularly has 100+MB updates so it can ... light up at random poo poo ?

It’s a good mouse but I can’t tell what else it is doing other than being a disco when I want to just play counter strike. Why am I looking at my mouse for ammo level?

My Battlefield 2142 Logitech G3 finally failed its third cord and I gave up buying the parts . In retrospect the $25 is worth it - if you have an older mouse check eBay to see if you can replace wear items for cheap. The Teflon feet are available to seal it back up.

Partycat fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 19, 2018

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Huh... apparently Logitech re-released an updated version of the mx518 called the mx518 legendary in 2018. They used the same molds so it has the same feel, and with updated internals and switches has a somehow higher life expectancy and is less than 4% lighter than the original making it almost exact in look/feel. I'll have to get one and try it out.

Looks like it's only in China right now, I can't imagine they wouldn't bring it to US / EU, if they don't give it a few months and importers will post them on eBay.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

pixaal posted:

Looks like it's only in China right now, I can't imagine they wouldn't bring it to US / EU, if they don't give it a few months and importers will post them on eBay.
They're way ahead of you:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2018-New-Mode-l-Logitech-MX518-Legendary-Classic-Gaming-Mouse-16000DPI-HERO-/183523725403

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I miss my G500

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I've had the Razer Deathadder for 5 years now. It's pretty good. can't complain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.

RFC2324 posted:

The state of Ohio is going to be accepting Bitcoin for paying taxes. Well see how it works out I guess.