Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Kyrosiris posted:

I imagine that's more applicable in areas with mandates about payouts. :v: I'm not really losing out for not having a set amount when every other job I've had with actual set amounts has been "yeah if you don't use this it just goes away, eat poo poo" (and invariably things would conspire that meant I got to use maybe 50-60% of it).

This was the case here last year. Right as I was hired HR changed the policy to "lol you can only roll over 10 HOURS of PTO now at the end of the calendar year". Given accrual is by pay period, that meant you basically had to empty your balance going into December and even then you still lose an hour or two. Since everyone can't take off half of December, people would inevitably get hosed by having their requests denied.

They reversed this change back to 40 hours when it was pointed out that all of the noobs hired in the big October hiring spree literally could not use their PTO balance in the first 90 days, so only allowing 10 hour rollover robbed them of most of their balance and they couldn't do poo poo about it.

This was announced the day after I got back from taking a random week off just to use up some hours for no reason other than "you're going to lose them anyway". I had wanted to bank those hours to go house hunting this year, and their response to, "Uh....I only took this because of the old policy, this is some bullshit," was, "Sucks to be you."

I haven't used a day since, I'm looking forward to cashing it out if I get this offer soon :dance:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

poo poo pissing me off is the amount of time I've spent dealing with computers with Chrome and Firefox installs that are now out of compliance. Poking around our GPOs and I can see that we've got Chrome set to auto-update, but only for Windows 7. I have no idea why, and I am going to propose we turn this on for both Firefox ESR and Chrome, but I am expecting push back because some people on my team seem to hate making their lives easier. Does anyone out there have auto updates on these browsers specifically disabled? If so, why?

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
I love my quasi public sector job. I'm up to 18 days a year of vacation time, and taking most of that off to stay under my 400hr cap. I don't even know what I accrue in sick-leave, but I'm stuck at the 1000hr cap despite donating months of hours to coworkers who have to go out on long term leave. Only catch, my salary is only in the median range for my responsibilities if I include that 13th month of vacation.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Sirotan posted:

poo poo pissing me off is the amount of time I've spent dealing with computers with Chrome and Firefox installs that are now out of compliance. Poking around our GPOs and I can see that we've got Chrome set to auto-update, but only for Windows 7. I have no idea why, and I am going to propose we turn this on for both Firefox ESR and Chrome, but I am expecting push back because some people on my team seem to hate making their lives easier. Does anyone out there have auto updates on these browsers specifically disabled? If so, why?

From the dark times of Firefox telling the user literally every time it updated.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
poo poo lightly pissing me off today:

Vendor sending me emails wanting to talk about our SharePoint infrastructure, which I am not involved in, and requesting a READ receipt.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
First thing i do when I set up an email client is turn the "never send read receipts" option on.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Sirotan posted:

Only on VDI, but I schedule PatchMyPC to run on the images every 2 weeks. The updates are only disabled because people would periodically log in and get a VM that has updated the browser, then later log in and get a VM that hasn't updated yet. That usually only causes a warning pop-up if anything, but occasionally it would stop their browser profile from loading.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

The Claptain posted:

First thing i do when I set up an email client is turn the "never send read receipts" option on.

This, but also “Always request read receipts” and “automatically delete read receipt replies”?

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

The Claptain posted:

Be mindful that if your client displays images then the fetch of those assets would let the other people know you've read the email (if they have set themselves up to do that of course)

stevewm
May 10, 2005
T-Mobile cold called the CEO.... And gave him pricing. The pricing they gave is slightly less than half of what we currently pay Verizon..

Guess who is now working on a possible switch to T-Mobile? :mad:

T-Mobile is basically unheard of in our area. Everyone with a cellphone here either has Verizon, ATT, or one of the MVNOs that use them. No one has T-Mobile, or Sprint for that matter.

Looking at some $20,000 a year savings, so the CEO is not going to ignore it.

And I am not looking forward to switching 70+ mostly tech-illiterate people to new devices.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
Thought I found a deal on some new, bulk packaged 2-port 10GBe adapters through a server parts refurbisher/reseller. Guess they were cheap because half of the cable retainer tabs in the RJ45 ports were busted, and that's apparently true for the vendor's entire stock. Now I've got to go back and ask for more money for the project. :/

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

monsterzero posted:

Thought I found a deal on some new, bulk packaged 2-port 10GBe adapters through a server parts refurbisher/reseller. Guess they were cheap because half of the cable retainer tabs in the RJ45 ports were busted, and that's apparently true for the vendor's entire stock. Now I've got to go back and ask for more money for the project. :/

Why is that a problem? Just glue them in place, it'll be fine! :v:

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

stevewm posted:

T-Mobile cold called the CEO.... And gave him pricing. The pricing they gave is slightly less than half of what we currently pay Verizon..

T-Mobile is basically unheard of in our area. Everyone with a cellphone here either has Verizon, ATT, or one of the MVNOs that use them. No one has T-Mobile, or Sprint for that matter.

And I am not looking forward to switching 70+ mostly tech-illiterate people to new devices.

buy a shiny new iphone xs max or whatever and offer to let the CEO be the first to switch to t-mobile. if/when it's unusable, he'll notice pretty quickly.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
My closest co-worker has been on paternity leave for 4 days and he's been called at least 7 times and had dozens of emails he had to respond to. I blew his reports up after the first day and told them there's not a goddamned thing in the world that they need to contact him about, bring it to me and I'll take care of it. Unfortunately, I can't keep the C suite off his back. They're also already agitating for him to cut his leave short and come back. If he never came back I wouldn't blame him.

The Son of Owner being on vacation this week has opened up a lot of grumbling amongst my cross department peers (a guy from procurement and a guy from logistics) and I'm hearing all kinds of weird poo poo they're pulling across the board. My office partner (procurement) was getting some bad vibes from SoO and started shopping for jobs. One he applied to started calling his references and word got back to SoO and he called him in and asked him what it would take to get him to stay. He asked for two modest concessions and got told to gently caress off, so he put in his notice.

With him leaving and everyone else so disgruntled while the executives keep giving each other slaps on the back I just don't see this situation stabilizing. I'm not going to quit because I'm due a large bonus EOY and I'm not risking that.

However, I'm definitely feeling a real Peter Gibbons peace about it. I blew off my conference call this afternoon and took the kids to the pool.

Hail Satan

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

stevewm posted:

I know a CFO your CEO would just love

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
It’s a long shot but does anyone have any recommendations for liquid chalk markers (for using on glass) that won’t wipe away except with a spray? We had a vendor fair a few months ago and showed off something like that but I lost their card :(

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Pentel do wet erase markers that are good

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Fuuuuuuuuck. Their VP of engineering is traveling to Chicago so hasn't reviewed my code yet, they're going to get to it tomorrow.

I just wanted to have this poo poo resolved before I leave. I really don't want to have to try to slip out for that final interview call while I'm at HQ next week.....

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
*Help Desk line rings*
:butt:: Hello this is [Company] can I please speak with [Departed IT Director] the IT Director?
:) No, if you'd like I can take a message
:butt:: No I'll call back later
*front desk forwards a phone call to help desk*
:goleft:: Hello this is [Company] can I please speak with [Departed IT Director] the IT Director?
:) I just spoke with your colleague five minutes ago, I can take a message if you want, but I'm not forwarding you to anyone
*hour passes, help desk line rings*
:) Hello is this [Company]?
:haw: ...
:) Hello? Are you from [Company]?
:haw: ...yes this is [Company] can I please speak with [Departed IT Director] the IT Director?"
:) Take us off your goddamn list

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

stevewm posted:

Run a pilot program with just the CEO, their assistant, and a few C-levels.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Run a pilot program with just the CEO, their assistant, and a few C-levels.

Ha.... Assistant.... C-Levels...

We are a smallish/medium company, the CEO is also the owner.. There are no C-Levels as it where, well unless you count the owner's sons. Anyways... Basically if the owner is convinced, its happening. So its his mind I gotta change.

I have already been getting some "testimonials" from a few employees/family that have had it, or MetroPCS (which uses TMobile). Apparently it is as I suspected; terrible around here. One person commented that they called it "T-Nature" because it was only good for making phone calls outside.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Server guy came in and started yelling at us about how we desktop people didn't just sit around at the site all night so he could stay at home and work remotely on a switch. This isn't the first time. I've had to come on site from home to do something in the data center for him.

He actually got really heated and aggressive. If the guy he was stepping to had had a bad morning and took the bait we probably would had have a fight in the office.

He was daring our lead to call the manager to sort it out. He did later on and they affirmed that yep, we're not really supposed to be doing your job for you.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

skooma512 posted:

Server guy came in and started yelling at us about how we desktop people didn't just sit around at the site all night so he could stay at home and work remotely on a switch. This isn't the first time. I've had to come on site from home to do something in the data center for him.

He actually got really heated and aggressive. If the guy he was stepping to had had a bad morning and took the bait we probably would had have a fight in the office.

He was daring our lead to call the manager to sort it out. He did later on and they affirmed that yep, we're not really supposed to be doing your job for you.

What in the holy hell did he need someone to do for him in the data center that he couldn't do from a chair at home?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Sickening posted:

What in the holy hell did he need someone to do for him in the data center that he couldn't do from a chair at home?

Putting a console cable in the otherwise dead switch, and in my case, racking a UPS. He had his kid that weekend you see, this makes it my problem. This despite the fact I was injured from work (my fault though) and probably shouldn't have been moving heavy loads around.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

monsterzero posted:

Thats a funny way to spell "go after them for selling broken product."

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

sfwarlock posted:

Thats a funny way to spell "go after them for selling broken product."

I'll set the BBB right on it. TBH, the price was one step this side of too good to be true but the yottamark checked out and they we're quick to issue an RMA so I really can't be that mad. It's just part of buying gray market upgrades for middle aged servers.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
So my manager has gone completely insane. We are the desktop management team responsible for SCCM and user endpoints. In a meeting yesterday he suggested that SCCM is dead and nobody uses it, that Windows 10 is not a business critical software, and that maybe we shouldn't be responsible for literally anything we currently do. Instead we should be forward thinkers and drive the business with innovative ideas and changes. We don't need SCCM and Win10 when we can just roll out VDI across 3000 machines because that technically makes desktops not our problem anymore?

I actually have no idea what happened there but I had to decompress overnight before posting that. I think he's actually lost his poo poo.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

that's some legit brain worms, like maybe schedule a "random" drug test

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

ChubbyThePhat posted:

So my manager has gone completely insane. We are the desktop management team responsible for SCCM and user endpoints. In a meeting yesterday he suggested that SCCM is dead and nobody uses it, that Windows 10 is not a business critical software, and that maybe we shouldn't be responsible for literally anything we currently do. Instead we should be forward thinkers and drive the business with innovative ideas and changes. We don't need SCCM and Win10 when we can just roll out VDI across 3000 machines because that technically makes desktops not our problem anymore?

I actually have no idea what happened there but I had to decompress overnight before posting that. I think he's actually lost his poo poo.

That must have been one hell of a vendor lunch.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I mean, at least he didn't suggest you move everything 'into the cloud'

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

tactlessbastard posted:

I blew off my conference call this afternoon and took the kids to the pool.

Boss makes a dollar
I make a dime

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

CPColin posted:

Boss makes a dollar
I make a dime

haha, no i mean literally went home, put the 6yo, 4yo, 2yo and baby in their suits and floaties and took them swimming.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
They loved my code! I was pretty nervous because the VP of engineering couldn't figure out how to run my migrations at first, so I was like "oh gently caress I hosed up I'm hosed". But apparently I used a package they hadn't even known about and I taught him a much easier way to do that in Flask as a result (which kind of proves my point in a lot of my cover letters about hiring people with non-CS backgrounds or no real experience with your exact stack, as outside perspectives can work wonders).

So I'm through to the final call :dance:. The only awkwardness is I really wanted to do that TODAY, because I leave for Nashville Sunday; that's not really a call I can take at my desk :ohdear:

In other news, remember fuckface who quit and then was enticed to bail on his new job to stay? I found out later it was with Eventbrite, so I emailed them my resume with a note saying, "Hey, I'm the same guy but not an rear end in a top hat, and I know you have an open role now that he rudely reneged on your offer."

Well I woke up to an email from them and we're scheduling some time for me to pop over to their offices a few blocks from HQ when I'm in town next week. There's something beautiful about my current company footing the bill for me to come out to interview to leave them.

Today is a good day that is most decidedly NOT pissing me off.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Smells like :yotj:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

BaronVonVaderham posted:

They loved my code! I was pretty nervous because the VP of engineering couldn't figure out how to run my migrations at first, so I was like "oh gently caress I hosed up I'm hosed". But apparently I used a package they hadn't even known about and I taught him a much easier way to do that in Flask as a result (which kind of proves my point in a lot of my cover letters about hiring people with non-CS backgrounds or no real experience with your exact stack, as outside perspectives can work wonders).

So I'm through to the final call :dance:. The only awkwardness is I really wanted to do that TODAY, because I leave for Nashville Sunday; that's not really a call I can take at my desk :ohdear:

In other news, remember fuckface who quit and then was enticed to bail on his new job to stay? I found out later it was with Eventbrite, so I emailed them my resume with a note saying, "Hey, I'm the same guy but not an rear end in a top hat, and I know you have an open role now that he rudely reneged on your offer."

Well I woke up to an email from them and we're scheduling some time for me to pop over to their offices a few blocks from HQ when I'm in town next week. There's something beautiful about my current company footing the bill for me to come out to interview to leave them.

Today is a good day that is most decidedly NOT pissing me off.

I mean just tie a bow on it at this point. There is zero chance I am putting anyone through that and not hiring them.

If by some weird turn of events you don't get the job please name and shame it because holy gently caress.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Absolutely, I would be livid. I think the last round is more of a behavioral "make sure you get along with your future team" call, if I remember her walking me through their process at the beginning correctly, so it's a technicality at this point.

That said, it's been a whopping 9 days since I sent them my resume, which is definitely a record in my experience. It's been a lot of calls and a long code exercise, but in reality they're moving at light speed.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

tactlessbastard posted:

My closest co-worker has been on paternity leave for 4 days and he's been called at least 7 times and had dozens of emails he had to respond to. I blew his reports up after the first day and told them there's not a goddamned thing in the world that they need to contact him about, bring it to me and I'll take care of it. Unfortunately, I can't keep the C suite off his back. They're also already agitating for him to cut his leave short and come back. If he never came back I wouldn't blame him.

This is extremely illegal and your coworker should do something about it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

guppy posted:

This is extremely illegal and your coworker should do something about it.

Yep. People on short term leave aren't suppose to be working on any level. They definitely can't cut it short.

The company in question is poo poo.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
LOL at using Flask and not Django.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Agreed. Though I'm coming around to it for a true microservice (emphasis on the micro), Flask has no loving business in larger apps.