Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
For those of you keeping score, we're now up to six technicians and 7 calendar days on the MFC in the front office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

tactlessbastard posted:

For those of you keeping score, we're now up to six technicians and 7 calendar days on the MFC in the front office.

The leased MFC

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Someone needs to pad a ton of hours, and it looks like you're the lucky* winner**!

*Not actually lucky
**Not actually a winner

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

tactlessbastard posted:

See if you can quietly remove something from it. Watch the next tech feel relieved and then despair as they replace the missing part and it still doesn't work.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

See if you can quietly remove something from it. Watch the next tech feel relieved and then despair as they replace the missing part and it still doesn't work.

Dude, these are people who work on printers for a living; how much more do you want them to suffer?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

With how most printer companies are ran now days, getting another tech on site is far cheaper and faster than getting a loaner or replacement. An urgent loaner with my company takes ~4 business days, a replacement up to 2 weeks.
This of course stems from 'cost savings'.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

tactlessbastard posted:

The company that offers the lease outsourced onsite support to a third party company. That third party company bills by the visit, and has no incentive to do anything but try and fix the current device. Sane actions like replacing it are in no way an option they will initiate. Your company will need to call your rep and escalate if you want that.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

EoRaptor posted:

The company that offers the lease outsourced onsite support to a third party company. That third party company bills by the visit, and has no incentive to do anything but try and fix the current device. Sane actions like replacing it are in no way an option they will initiate. Your company will need to call your rep and escalate if you want that.

We literally lease a spare MFP and MICR printer because of this. It's a lot easier to get them to move a printer than loan you one.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

neogeo0823 posted:

That one is good, but lately, I've taken to my supervisor's choice of phrase of "chuck it in the gently caress-it bucket". I'm sure it's a reference to something, but it's just so damned catchy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRqSLz_6uEE

printer chat:

I'm still proud I got Xerox to replace one of our DocuColors for a quality issue that only showed up on one document. Since that one document was a proof for something going to press, I had all the motivation I needed to get the drat thing swapped (it was the printer the Senior Executive Creative Director for North America used). It helped that I had another DC240 that printed the same document just fine. Xerox pushed back because we had the second printer. gently caress that, I had a contract, a reproducible quality issue, and a legal department. We got the new printer.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

You guys wanna hear about the job I've been working for the last 11 months?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

You guys wanna hear about the job I've been working for the last 11 months?

:justpost:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I started working at a manufacturing company, we have a lot of machines that work with metal and then a lot of people that also work with the metal. It's about 3 times bigger than the place I was at.

I don't really know where to start. I think I originally applied for the job titled 'Project Manager', but I do a mix of systems admin/network admin/programming. Our main computer system that handles sales, inventory, etc, is all written in VISUAL BASIC. Not .Net, not C#, Visual loving Basic, either 6.0 or VBA. I was told I would never have to touch that code.

At the end of the final interview, I was asked "What kind of computer do you want us to get for you?", I responded with "Whatever 14-inch business laptop you guys buy, Dell, HP, Lenovo, whatever. Plus a 27-inch monitor"

It was met with "we don't buy laptops for people, you can't get real work on a laptop", so I just said get me whatever desktop you use then.

My first project took about a week. I wasn't given any passwords for anything, or server names, or anything. The project was an internal website that was basically a fancy dashboard of all kinds of information about the company. Shipping and production stats, work schedules, sales volumes...

It was originally created by a data analyst that was originally putting data from SQL queries into spreadsheets all day long. All kinds of people started asking him for more and more data and access to it. He figured out if he did some stuff with Python, some Javascript graphing libraries, and all that kind of stuff, he could automate most of his job so that's what he did. Pretty decent project IMO.

Of course, he was the only one who knew anything about how this worked, and because the IS manager isn't a good manager, they were never ever able to learn about the project. He still worked there, so he hadn't left the company or anything. I was able to download the site, get a dev/test version of it running on my PC, and basically documented how the whole thing worked.

It's a run-of-the-mill web app, based on Python/Bottle along with some AngularJS in the front-end. It also uses MongoDB in addition to the MySQL stuff to get the production data. I did Ruby on Rails development for a few years and have played around with Django and Flask and Bottle, so the website looked pretty on-par compared to what I was used to seeing. MVC etc.

Anyway, I present this huge document to my new boss, and he basically says "This is the only time I've ever heard anyone say anything positive about this project. It's such a huge mess, there's files all over the place, it's object-oriented which means once you get to a certain size nobody can understand it. I've read that OOP has been terrible for years." This is coming from someone who thinks the right way to do a web page (we won't call it a site) is a 7,000 line PHP file. Files all over the place being there's a folder for templates, folder for controllers...

So anyway, he has me hand the project off to a helpdesk guy that he wants to promote to programmer. Good intentions. However, he can't develop features etc because he's still doing helpdesk calls all day. This makes our boss mad (the lack of productivity) and causes him to say he mad a mistake handing it off to the helpdesk guy, and at the same time proves his thoughts of the site being impossible to manage!

So back to the organization of the department. There's the boss, his kid (more on that later), two visual basic programmers, 1 php programmer, me, two helpdesk guys, and then one guy that's kind of both. And then on second shift, there are 3 helpdesk/hardware guys. We run two shifts of production, and we try to not interrupt people during the day that work on 1st shift when we can fix their issues on second shift (computer replacements or equipment moves, wiring etc).

Now let's talk about infrastructure. The boss has a 100% MICROSOFT IS EVIL mindset. We have a handful of computers that are using Active Directory, nothing else does. Maybe like 30% of the office PC's. Everything else runs on CentOS, a couple are still on v6 and the rest are on 3-year old v7. Very reluctant to upgrade these at all, even to the newest point release.

We had a bunch of the trash 2009-era Cisco small business that are really Linksys gigabit switches. They also had settings on them that basically made them into hubs, they are scared to death of VLANs (they can leak apparently) and we make all our cables. Even patch cables. We had something like 3 of them fail in the first few months that I started, including the one on my PC that I diagnosed. 100mb connection instead of 1gb. Oh look someone made a my patch cable out of a solid wire cable. Why would they do that? "We make all our own cables, 90% of purchased cables don't certify" the boss proudly says.

These were all replaced with Ubiquiti switches quite recently. I suggested we use HP Aruba, but what do I know. We also use Ubiquiti for cameras and NVR's and we have all kinds of weird poo poo issues with those, and their support isn't much help so why not buy switches from them too.

Let's talk servers. Good news, they don't build their own. They buy Dell. However, everything is bare metal. There's no virtualization. I asked, and the reason was that storage costs are too high. The best part is when a server is purchased, they buy two! One is a hot-spare. It gets installed in a different server room at the other end of the building. It gets backed up every day from the production server. So if one goes down, you just change IP addresses on the hot spare and you're good.

I showed my boss all the CPU graphs of all the servers, they're all just piddling around at like 5% usage. Every server is a dual 18-core Xeon whatever, always super overkill for the basic poo poo they run. They then get saddled down by only 16-32GB of RAM (most servers again don't use it anyway) and a pair of SATA spinning disks or SSD's in RAID. The mailserver for example had a pair of 256GB SSD and a pair of 4TB drives. The new mailserver went against everything I specced out and they got the same drat thing and just put 4 4TB drives in it. Why didn't you just add two drives to the old loving server?

Anyway, back to the CPU and memory graphs. I tried to explain they were so uner-utilized that we'd be perfect for VM's. And then instead of buying drives for every server, we can buy a SAN! And then since we aren't buying TWO servers we'd be saving money. Shot the gently caress down. Oh well.

We bought a pair of Dell servers last October, one of them is still un-used and I was denied when I asked if I could use it for a development server. Okay.

Did I mention we don't use patch panels? What's the point anyway! Just run the cables from the switches to the server room straight to wherever they are going. I wanted to mention that we use patch panels on the other end (aka walljack)... So recently when we installed the new switches, I think everyone was convinced having patch panels in the racks would have made things easier. having 3 feet of extra cable in the rack is a pain in the dick! Plus, using pre-bought patch cables to connect the switches to the servers instead of having to make 60 loving cables would have saved about 2 hours of time as well (shielded cables with their special grounding connectors take a bit longer to make, not sure why we even need them in the server room but okay).

Each server has it's own USB backup drive. And the script doesn't check to see if the drive is mounted so the backup script will fill the system drive if you're not careful! We have real backup software, but it's like 6 versions old so we can't add new machines to it anymore. They're just backups why should they be centrally managed and monitored?

Also, none of the servers are the same. Some 700's, some 500's, some 400's, just order the same loving servers. It prevents having issues like "oh we can't add this card or this drive to that server" and we could share parts etc. Their server ordering process is loving goofy. We call Dell, and instead of specs we say "we need a server for mail/files/whatever". Then the guy sends us a quote, and we tell him we need more drives or more memory. Then we buy it. Why the gently caress wouldn't you just tell the drat guy what you need in the first place? Also, the helpdesk guys do the ordering of the servers.

The helpdesk guys also get to set the servers up! "They need the experience". Well how about letting them do that with test servers until they know what the gently caress they are doing. What the flying gently caress. I'd rate myself a 7/10 with Linux and I'm by far the most knowledgeable person there. One server has poo poo installed from source, one is using this repo, one is using some other repo, one is CentOS 7.2, another is 7.5, whatever Indian Linux tutorial site came up when the tech googled "install named" is what's running. Don't even get me started on how hosed up DNS is.

Alright, so we have a bunch of remote warehouses all over the country. At some point in the company's history, an internet outage prevented one of these warehouses from shipping product, so a rule was made that even if the internet is down these places need to be able to ship. So, each warehouse has partial copy of the database. It's "replicated" by a VB6 app running at our office, that checks each row of the database with ours and theres, and adjusts appropriately. It's usually 15 minutes behind, there's a copy of this app for each warehouse, and we have replication issues like you can imagine. When that happens and an order gets screwed up or duplicated, we blame it on the users for UPDATING THINGS TOO QUICKLY.

That's enough for now I'm going to watch football

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Bob Morales posted:

I started working at a manufacturing company, we have a lot of machines that work with metal and then a lot of people that also work with the metal. It's about 3 times bigger than the place I was at.

I don't really know where to start. I think I originally applied for the job titled 'Project Manager', but I do a mix of systems admin/network admin/programming. Our main computer system that handles sales, inventory, etc, is all written in VISUAL BASIC. Not .Net, not C#, Visual loving Basic, either 6.0 or VBA. I was told I would never have to touch that code.

At the end of the final interview, I was asked "What kind of computer do you want us to get for you?", I responded with "Whatever 14-inch business laptop you guys buy, Dell, HP, Lenovo, whatever. Plus a 27-inch monitor"

It was met with "we don't buy laptops for people, you can't get real work on a laptop", so I just said get me whatever desktop you use then.

My first project took about a week. I wasn't given any passwords for anything, or server names, or anything. The project was an internal website that was basically a fancy dashboard of all kinds of information about the company. Shipping and production stats, work schedules, sales volumes...

It was originally created by a data analyst that was originally putting data from SQL queries into spreadsheets all day long. All kinds of people started asking him for more and more data and access to it. He figured out if he did some stuff with Python, some Javascript graphing libraries, and all that kind of stuff, he could automate most of his job so that's what he did. Pretty decent project IMO.

Of course, he was the only one who knew anything about how this worked, and because the IS manager isn't a good manager, they were never ever able to learn about the project. He still worked there, so he hadn't left the company or anything. I was able to download the site, get a dev/test version of it running on my PC, and basically documented how the whole thing worked.

It's a run-of-the-mill web app, based on Python/Bottle along with some AngularJS in the front-end. It also uses MongoDB in addition to the MySQL stuff to get the production data. I did Ruby on Rails development for a few years and have played around with Django and Flask and Bottle, so the website looked pretty on-par compared to what I was used to seeing. MVC etc.

Anyway, I present this huge document to my new boss, and he basically says "This is the only time I've ever heard anyone say anything positive about this project. It's such a huge mess, there's files all over the place, it's object-oriented which means once you get to a certain size nobody can understand it. I've read that OOP has been terrible for years." This is coming from someone who thinks the right way to do a web page (we won't call it a site) is a 7,000 line PHP file. Files all over the place being there's a folder for templates, folder for controllers...

So anyway, he has me hand the project off to a helpdesk guy that he wants to promote to programmer. Good intentions. However, he can't develop features etc because he's still doing helpdesk calls all day. This makes our boss mad (the lack of productivity) and causes him to say he mad a mistake handing it off to the helpdesk guy, and at the same time proves his thoughts of the site being impossible to manage!

So back to the organization of the department. There's the boss, his kid (more on that later), two visual basic programmers, 1 php programmer, me, two helpdesk guys, and then one guy that's kind of both. And then on second shift, there are 3 helpdesk/hardware guys. We run two shifts of production, and we try to not interrupt people during the day that work on 1st shift when we can fix their issues on second shift (computer replacements or equipment moves, wiring etc).

Now let's talk about infrastructure. The boss has a 100% MICROSOFT IS EVIL mindset. We have a handful of computers that are using Active Directory, nothing else does. Maybe like 30% of the office PC's. Everything else runs on CentOS, a couple are still on v6 and the rest are on 3-year old v7. Very reluctant to upgrade these at all, even to the newest point release.

We had a bunch of the trash 2009-era Cisco small business that are really Linksys gigabit switches. They also had settings on them that basically made them into hubs, they are scared to death of VLANs (they can leak apparently) and we make all our cables. Even patch cables. We had something like 3 of them fail in the first few months that I started, including the one on my PC that I diagnosed. 100mb connection instead of 1gb. Oh look someone made a my patch cable out of a solid wire cable. Why would they do that? "We make all our own cables, 90% of purchased cables don't certify" the boss proudly says.

These were all replaced with Ubiquiti switches quite recently. I suggested we use HP Aruba, but what do I know. We also use Ubiquiti for cameras and NVR's and we have all kinds of weird poo poo issues with those, and their support isn't much help so why not buy switches from them too.

Let's talk servers. Good news, they don't build their own. They buy Dell. However, everything is bare metal. There's no virtualization. I asked, and the reason was that storage costs are too high. The best part is when a server is purchased, they buy two! One is a hot-spare. It gets installed in a different server room at the other end of the building. It gets backed up every day from the production server. So if one goes down, you just change IP addresses on the hot spare and you're good.

I showed my boss all the CPU graphs of all the servers, they're all just piddling around at like 5% usage. Every server is a dual 18-core Xeon whatever, always super overkill for the basic poo poo they run. They then get saddled down by only 16-32GB of RAM (most servers again don't use it anyway) and a pair of SATA spinning disks or SSD's in RAID. The mailserver for example had a pair of 256GB SSD and a pair of 4TB drives. The new mailserver went against everything I specced out and they got the same drat thing and just put 4 4TB drives in it. Why didn't you just add two drives to the old loving server?

Anyway, back to the CPU and memory graphs. I tried to explain they were so uner-utilized that we'd be perfect for VM's. And then instead of buying drives for every server, we can buy a SAN! And then since we aren't buying TWO servers we'd be saving money. Shot the gently caress down. Oh well.

We bought a pair of Dell servers last October, one of them is still un-used and I was denied when I asked if I could use it for a development server. Okay.

Did I mention we don't use patch panels? What's the point anyway! Just run the cables from the switches to the server room straight to wherever they are going. I wanted to mention that we use patch panels on the other end (aka walljack)... So recently when we installed the new switches, I think everyone was convinced having patch panels in the racks would have made things easier. having 3 feet of extra cable in the rack is a pain in the dick! Plus, using pre-bought patch cables to connect the switches to the servers instead of having to make 60 loving cables would have saved about 2 hours of time as well (shielded cables with their special grounding connectors take a bit longer to make, not sure why we even need them in the server room but okay).

Each server has it's own USB backup drive. And the script doesn't check to see if the drive is mounted so the backup script will fill the system drive if you're not careful! We have real backup software, but it's like 6 versions old so we can't add new machines to it anymore. They're just backups why should they be centrally managed and monitored?

Also, none of the servers are the same. Some 700's, some 500's, some 400's, just order the same loving servers. It prevents having issues like "oh we can't add this card or this drive to that server" and we could share parts etc. Their server ordering process is loving goofy. We call Dell, and instead of specs we say "we need a server for mail/files/whatever". Then the guy sends us a quote, and we tell him we need more drives or more memory. Then we buy it. Why the gently caress wouldn't you just tell the drat guy what you need in the first place? Also, the helpdesk guys do the ordering of the servers.

The helpdesk guys also get to set the servers up! "They need the experience". Well how about letting them do that with test servers until they know what the gently caress they are doing. What the flying gently caress. I'd rate myself a 7/10 with Linux and I'm by far the most knowledgeable person there. One server has poo poo installed from source, one is using this repo, one is using some other repo, one is CentOS 7.2, another is 7.5, whatever Indian Linux tutorial site came up when the tech googled "install named" is what's running. Don't even get me started on how hosed up DNS is.

Alright, so we have a bunch of remote warehouses all over the country. At some point in the company's history, an internet outage prevented one of these warehouses from shipping product, so a rule was made that even if the internet is down these places need to be able to ship. So, each warehouse has partial copy of the database. It's "replicated" by a VB6 app running at our office, that checks each row of the database with ours and theres, and adjusts appropriately. It's usually 15 minutes behind, there's a copy of this app for each warehouse, and we have replication issues like you can imagine. When that happens and an order gets screwed up or duplicated, we blame it on the users for UPDATING THINGS TOO QUICKLY.

That's enough for now I'm going to watch football

Quit. Because drat...

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 15, 2019

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Happy with the one Nimble we have so far, though I'm extremely paranoid about HPE turning it into poo poo (like they do with everything else). There were already warnings of that because when we started talking to Nimble they weren't bought yet and the quoting process was extremely easy, as in the sales guy sent me a spreadsheet of pricing immediately on request with no bullshit about registering opportunities and all that other crap. By the time we got to actually purchasing, HPE had locked it all behind their usual lovely sales process (not that they're the only ones, I hate every SAN vendor for doing this) and it was like pulling teeth to actually get the thing purchased. We ended up going through a VAR simply because that's how HPE does business and we couldn't just easily order the drat thing even though we knew what we wanted. I mean technically you can on the site but I firmly believe HPE makes their site a pile of poo poo on purpose so that ordering things off it becomes harder than just asking a VAR to spec the parts.

As far as HPE's own chassis, assuming the new one we have is from HPE, my biggest complaint would be that the thing's huge, depthwise. Something like 35-38" deep. (Also 4U, but eh). Seems absurd given that it's full of 2.5" flash drives and as far as I know they're not spaced depthwise through the unit and are all at the front. So far operations/configuration-wise however, no complaints, and given that no one has time to be a storage admin anymore I'm a big fan of the simplicity and ease of setup. Guess we'll see how long that lasts.

Yeah, my biggest gripe is dumping over 100tb of storage that still meets our performance requirements. Never had any issues with Nimble even after the HPE buyout, other than than hardware getting retired. It is understandable though.

I never looked at the depth of the newer "Gen 5" hardware, but will have to check it out. From my research it's super similar to the old Nimble Supermicro stuff. Shared backplane between two blades in the back.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Thanks Ants posted:

Yeah the amount of stuff that is a two sentence email that people book in as a meeting a week out and then also don't provide an agenda for :argh:

We have a customer that thinks that in person is the best way to get things done. Email or phone call to discuss a change to a query that generates a flat file? Nah, he thinks I should come on site to meet with the database guy. At least half a dozen times over the past year I drove three hours round-trip for a conversation that lasted less than five minutes. Our project manager won't say no to these requests though as they are our largest customer. On those days I basically hit the road at 9am, then left at lunch time.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002
My company has recently started putting monthly patronizing newsletters in the toilets on the backs of each door.
This months one includes suggestions that showering and not coughing constantly are good life tips.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

fist4jesus posted:

My company has recently started putting monthly patronizing newsletters in the toilets on the backs of each door.
This months one includes suggestions that showering and not coughing constantly are good life tips.

Nobody would go through the trouble of setting that up unless there were a few specific people with exactly those problems.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

A big part of my company is logistics as well. Your boss sucks. Your boss is pushing technology they think they know. This job isn't good for you long term as its kind of a loser, but if you like the paycheck then live with it for now.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Sickening posted:

A big part of my company is logistics as well. Your boss sucks. Your boss is pushing technology they think they know. This job isn't good for you long term as its kind of a loser, but if you like the paycheck then live with it for now.

Larches 2: The Manufacturing

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Sickening posted:

A big part of my company is logistics as well. Your boss sucks. Your boss is pushing technology they think they know.

People like this are the worst. "I use Linux because I bought into the anti-Micro$oft bullshit twenty years ago and haven't bothered to reevaluate my thinking since then. Also lovely networks and workarounds and lack of innovation because for some reason I learned A Thing and then felt that there was no reason to keep learning."

Pissing me off right now: me and my stupid oversights. When loading 2200 data files each with 1.5 million rows, you don't set your table key to INT. Because you'll discover three days into the load that your table will his the maximum value for int and then barf all over everything. Then you truncate everything because you decided to make some changes, including setting your table index to BIGINT but you forget to ALTER SEQUENCE and once again the load barfs after three days because the sequence is still INT. So you make some new workflow changes and cross your fingers that this time your five day load will run successfully.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Sickening posted:

Nothing like being hired for your expertise and experience and then being consistently overridden by a know-nothing blowhard who reads C-NET articles like :hmmyes:

edit: no, even reading cnet would be an improvement.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Lol there's a new MFC here this morning

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

Is this a draft post from 2003 that you just now found and pressed send on?

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

Nothing like being hired for your expertise and experience and then being consistently overridden by a know-nothing blowhard who reads C-NET articles like :hmmyes:

I love it when people ask for my advice, I provide it alongside a clear explanation for why a particular approach is better than the alternatives, and then it's entirely ignored. It makes me particularly happy when I then get blamed for the alternative that was selected having exactly the issues I explained it would have six months ago.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I hope the paychecks come in a Brinks truck because lol

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Bro you need to gtfo of manufacturing and also probably Flint. UM ITS is going to be posting ~40 open positions any day now, I can PM you when that goes live if you have any interest? Even Detroit has a better tech job market if you don't want to move to the rental hell that is Ann Arbor.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Sirotan posted:

Bro you need to gtfo of manufacturing and also probably Flint. UM ITS is going to be posting ~40 open positions any day now, I can PM you when that goes live if you have any interest? Even Detroit has a better tech job market if you don't want to move to the rental hell that is Ann Arbor.

Seriously, Ann Arbor or Detroit would be a huge step up in the job market.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

I interviewed for a manufacturing job about a year ago and saw much of the same writing on the wall. No laptops, whitebox servers, VMware 4.0 with a brand new server stack they couldn't use because migrating required VMware 6 and they didn't know how to upgrade, etc.

I told them things would have to change dramatically and the 'old guard' C devs who built this mess would have to get their hands off of IT equipment. It was my way or the highway. The boss agreed because he was so fed up of how terrible things were.

Then the offer came in at about 3/4 of my current salary and I laughed, then told them to go buy msp services if they wanted to survive.

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

Pissing me off: Having to sign off on a super invasive background check for a position where I'm not dealing with any money. Here's hoping that not good credit is not a disqualifier for my new job.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Ratmtattat posted:

Pissing me off: Having to sign off on a super invasive background check for a position where I'm not dealing with any money. Here's hoping that not good credit is not a disqualifier for my new job.

This is becoming more and more common. Between asking for previous employers paystubs and financial credit checks, proper legislation needs to happen to keep this poo poo from happening.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Those Ubiquiti switches....are crashing randomly!

https://community.ui.com/questions/Losing-access-to-switches-Regulary-Regreting-buying-Ubiquiti/5202e750-f497-40d0-a00d-908c8c2a3d0a?page=25

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Ratmtattat posted:

I've been applying for jobs lately, and everyone wants a background check, driving record check, drug test (for our legal marijuana), physical...

I haven't :420: in almost 2 years and I have a clean slate when it comes to everything else, so I'm not worried about anything, but it's just a pain in the rear end to have to go do all that poo poo. I'm glad they can't test for vodka.

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

Bob Morales posted:

I've been applying for jobs lately, and everyone wants a background check, driving record check, drug test (for our legal marijuana), physical...

They don't do drug tests here which is fine by me. I don't do anything illegal, but I could not care less about another person doing them as long as they aren't harming themselves or their family, or they aren't performing their job duties.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

I haven't :420: in almost 2 years and I have a clean slate when it comes to everything else, so I'm not worried about anything, but it's just a pain in the rear end to have to go do all that poo poo. I'm glad they can't test for vodka.

Wait, a physical? You can't be serious.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Gotta make sure you don't have frail people on the company health insurance!

We all live in the worst possible future.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sickening posted:

Here it's required by law to get one when you get/change a job. Doctor just checks if you are physically able to perform the job and stamps it it with a yes/no. No medical data beyond that is shared with the employer.

But we have noticed an increase in US style background checks for jobs in the EU. I'm not a fan of them.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Really, I think a mistake a lot of people make is that we make very good and correct recommendations to execs based on industry info and technical expertise, etc, etc, etc.

The trick is that only dollars matter. Maybe if you took it a step further and explained, in very concrete terms(bust out that Excel), how much could be saved doing things the way you're suggesting without any additional risk, you'll get further.
Start small. Small things with easily recognized savings and work your way up.

Execs don't care about the "right way", they care about the $$$$$$.

edit: not saying Bob isn't doing this. I've just been to too many meetings with a DUH WHY WOULDN'T WE DO IT THE RIGHT WAY attitude and gotten stonewalled. Deliverable predicted savings are a much more reliable winner.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

Really, I think a mistake a lot of people make is that we make very good and correct recommendations to execs based on industry info and technical expertise, etc, etc, etc.

The trick is that only dollars matter. Maybe if you took it a step further and explained, in very concrete terms(bust out that Excel), how much could be saved doing things the way you're suggesting without any additional risk, you'll get further.

edit: not saying Bob isn't doing this. I've just been to too many meetings with a DUH WHY WOULDN'T WE DO IT THE RIGHT WAY attitude and gotten stonewalled. Deliverable predicted savings are a much more reliable winner.

Additionally: those predicted savings better be coming now. Nobody gives a poo poo about savings that will happen next year because of all the work that we didn't have to do because poo poo was done right the first time.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

Tried this, and it was about 30-40% cheaper depending on how you run the numbers.

The problem is, they twisted it by saying "well we only replace 1/4 of the servers every year so we can't spend that much". I suggested incremental upgrades as money came in and replacements were needed.

Then they said "well more servers are bettar" so I just quit bugging them about it becuase it just got ignored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sickening posted:

I think part of the idea is you don't want to hire someone with a bad back or bum knee or hidden defect like a hernia.