Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

We are now on day three of a fairly large provider having their London network hosed by packet loss and the clownshoes outfit are unable to fix it or even elaborate on what they are doing. Presumably this is the old Venus network that M247 (ex-Metronet) took over. Incredibly poo poo provider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

:lol::lol::lol:

"whoa whoa whoa, there's plenty of meat left in that taco!"

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Ghostnuke posted:

Yeah. I can just go to the store and buy whatever I want, I don't see what's exciting about a vending machine.

Our vending machines are subsidized, so every beverage in them, from sodas to big dumb cans of energy drinks, are 25c.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Bob Morales posted:

All I know is I'm never further than 150 feet from a choco taco

You hiring? I have not had one of those in years....

Flail Snail
Jul 30, 2019

Collector of the Obscure

I kind of wish. At least then I'd probably be making stacks.

I work for one of many nearly identical MDM solution providers.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Bob Morales posted:

"They" are going to do an experiment by removing one cpu from a server and "seeing if it runs any faster"

I've had to do this with a server that ran an application that wasn't NUMA-aware, and you couldn't disable NUMA when all four CPU sockets were populated.

I don't think this is gonna be the case at your company.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Ugh loving Comcast.

Comcast has been rocksolid for months at one location. And they are the only realistic choice there. (unless you consider 3Mbps Frontier DSL a valid choice). So I sign a contract to get better pricing with them. Weeks after I sign the contract the service turns to poo poo. They have had 4 major outages in a month. Once was the entire business day.

And of course a new fiber ISP pops up offering service right after I sign that contract. Comcast wants $$$$ if the contract is broken.

GGGRRRRRRRRR!

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
For the love of loving anyone, please do not strictly use numbers as server names :( Server 44 is down. WTF does that do? :confused:

:sigh: It's been that way for years. I doubt it'll change either.

Slight edit: I know I can keep a list but I'm a fan of having more descriptive names.

Irritated Goat fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Sep 20, 2019

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Irritated Goat posted:

For the love of loving anyone, please do not strictly use numbers as server names :( Server 44 is down. WTF does that do? :confused:

Slight edit: I know I can keep a list but I'm a fan of having more descriptive names.

Start at 69 :giggity:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

One of the departments here does that and they get real mad when server69 is down because they have a critical service on it. But no one but them was aware there was anything special about it because server1 through server68 are all a pile of generic batch nodes or warm spares. :argh:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

stevewm posted:

Ugh loving Comcast.

Comcast has been rocksolid for months at one location. And they are the only realistic choice there. (unless you consider 3Mbps Frontier DSL a valid choice). So I sign a contract to get better pricing with them. Weeks after I sign the contract the service turns to poo poo. They have had 4 major outages in a month. Once was the entire business day.

And of course a new fiber ISP pops up offering service right after I sign that contract. Comcast wants $$$$ if the contract is broken.

GGGRRRRRRRRR!

If their service is hosed can you not break contract? Might be worth running past your legal team.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

If their service is hosed can you not break contract? Might be worth running past your legal team.

Read through their agreement... doesn't seem like there is anything to break out of it. Honestly just about to say gently caress it and tell them to pound sand regardless of fees, with the owners'/CEO permission of course.

Edit: Fun times... Good thing we have a backup.

Legendary Comcast "reliability". And yes this is the entire town going out. Not just our location. Happens at least every other week, they don't seem to care. Can't get the new provider fast enough.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 20, 2019

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I had a nice laugh today when I went to go figure out how to get an unresponsive Win10 machine into safe mode and it boils down to "turn if off and on again a lot until the OS finally decides to give you a prompt"

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Irritated Goat posted:

If you can't rename them, can you at least get DNS aliases made?

Lucky for us, network stuff is all descriptive, but servers are only somewhat descriptive, except those of us not in the server teams have no idea why <site><function>345 is a domain controller and 343 is just SCCM (for example)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Another person in the department brought up buying a SAN

It was met with 'what happens when it goes down'

I mentioned that they basically all have dual controllers, power supplies, huge arrays of disk, however, it is possible that it could fail.

"So we'd have to buy two"

Well....we could have two and have one mirror the other...or just back up the things that are on it.

Right now the 'backup strategy' is that our servers are in two different server rooms, both in different parts of the building. So the idea is that every server has hot spare in the other server room, and if something died we could just switch the IP addresses over.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Bob Morales posted:

I mentioned that they basically all have dual controllers, power supplies, huge arrays of disk, however, it is possible that it could fail.

Well....we could have two and have one mirror the other...or just back up the things that are on it.

Right now the 'backup strategy' is that our servers are in two different server rooms, both in different parts of the building. So the idea is that every server has hot spare in the other server room, and if something died we could just switch the IP addresses over.

I'm literally screaming at my phone 'that's not what backups are for'

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Bob Morales posted:

I know it would be extremely expensive but you could set up a dual server datacore instance to keep the two San as an active-active combo instead of hot spare(with zero downtime when one of the two goes down). Uptime seems more important than expenditure so try pushin this angle to your employer.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I'm literally screaming at my phone 'that's not what backups are for'

There are rando USB hard drives used for data backup too!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

People who fail to see the potential downsides of any new proposal in perspective to the flaming wreck that exists already are a fun breed. Yes, you're correct, Office 365 does have service outages but your email is currently served off a six year old SBS box running on a cable broadband service.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Bob Morales posted:

I've gotten the impression that you've got a pretty great skill set. Why keep working for these small fish?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Potato Salad posted:

I've gotten the impression that you've got a pretty great skill set. Why keep working for these small fish?

I get lured in with the old "we know we need to make improvements but we need someone to suggest them for us"

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Bob Morales posted:

I get lured in with the old "we know we need to make improvements but we need someone to suggest them for us"

I mean, it's very true in this case, they just have no intention of actually listening to the suggestions.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Irritated Goat posted:

Every place I’ve worked for had servers named after people, places or tv characters. Oh “Homer” is down? Great, that’s helpful.
Fortunately I set up the monitoring system here so gave them descriptive names in the alerts.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

No "you killed Kenny!" messages, then?

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

bitterandtwisted posted:

Every place I’ve worked for had servers named after people, places or tv characters. Oh “Homer” is down? Great, that’s helpful.
Fortunately I set up the monitoring system here so gave them descriptive names in the alerts.

I really wanted to give our servers hip names that showed our nerdpride, but in the end I just went with SRV-DC01, SRV-SQL01 and SRV-ERP01 because I'm uncool like that.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Thanks Ants posted:

People who fail to see the potential downsides of any new proposal in perspective to the flaming wreck that exists already are a fun breed. Yes, you're correct, Office 365 does have service outages but your email is currently served off a six year old SBS box running on a cable broadband service.

Anytime there is a brief office 365 outage of any kind the grognards come out in force to tell you how their in Prem hasn’t had an outage in 10 years. Everyone always manages to have perfect infrastructure somehow!

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
No outages but I patch monthly and oh yeah, my server stayed up during that 72 hour blackout last February somehow.

Yep! 110% uptime for me! My trusty Dell R510 and I nvented the term “zero nines(tm)” even!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

This isn't pissing me off so much as amusing me, mostly because I am not directly involved, just being cc'd on all the communication.

We're generating reports and data to be imported into our budgeting appliance/service/cube/whatever so that department heads can do their final budget reports for 2019 and submit budget requests for 2020.

The group managing the cube is getting into a tiff with one of the other groups that is generating reports with a description field isn't quoted and has comma's in it.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

PancakeTransmission posted:

If you can't rename them, can you at least get DNS aliases made?

Lucky for us, network stuff is all descriptive, but servers are only somewhat descriptive, except those of us not in the server teams have no idea why <site><function>345 is a domain controller and 343 is just SCCM (for example)

I could slide into DNS and do it but it would be basically for me alone so I'll just keep a OneNote list and grumble about it. There's a lot of security through obscurity poo poo here so it's just 1 more thing.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

"So what happens when VMware starts licensing by VM?"

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Bob Morales posted:

Hey, MS switched data center from socket to cores. That was mildly annoying.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

sixth and maimed posted:

I really wanted to give our servers hip names that showed our nerdpride, but in the end I just went with SRV-DC01, SRV-SQL01 and SRV-ERP01 because I'm uncool like that.

That's what CNAMEs are for !

Pissing me off:

I've got a PowerShell script that needs to collect registry values from remote machines. Since we don't have PSRemoting enabled, I have to do it the hard way with "reg query \\$target\etc." and parse the output as a string. That's only annoying me.

Once I get the registry values, I use them to generate machine IDs for our backup system, and stick them into a REST call to apply a backup plan. Because my corporate masters use a self-signed certificate, the REST call has to go out over http, not https. That's only annoying me.

I need to put credentials into the call, and since it's http only, I'm restricting use of that script to the actual backup server. That's only annoying me.

The 'reg query \\...' call fails reliably in PowerShell, but works fine in cmd.exe. It also works in PowerShell on my laptop, the other backup server, and one of the RDP jump boxes. I eventually figure out that in cmd.exe the 32-bit version fails but the 64-bit version works.

After a little more digging... cmd.exe has its PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE set to AMD64, but PowerShell has $Env:PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE set to x86. I log out and log back in, and the script works.

I have no idea how PS got stuck in 32-bit mode, but that's what's pissing me off.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Sickening posted:

Anytime there is a brief office 365 outage of any kind the grognards come out in force to tell you how their in Prem hasn’t had an outage in 10 years. Everyone always manages to have perfect infrastructure somehow!

on-prem infrastructure tends to work flawlessly until it fails catastrophically while cloud infra tends to fail periodically but it'll always come back and that is Not Your Problem(tm)

So many email servers are running on dell pizza boxes out there. And yeah it works great

until someone doesn't replace a failed disk
because the SNMP server that was originally set up to monitor it has failed to poll it for the last 1596 intervals
because someone quickly upgraded the ilo controller to fix the java console
and the guy that monitors the SNMP server has been on leave

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

gently caress the out of date version of Bootstrap on this subsite. It being out of date has added 20 or so hours to what should have been a simple project. Luckily the subsite will be updated soon.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

abigserve posted:

on-prem infrastructure tends to work flawlessly until it fails catastrophically while cloud infra tends to fail periodically but it'll always come back and that is Not Your Problem(tm)

So many email servers are running on dell pizza boxes out there. And yeah it works great

until someone doesn't replace a failed disk
because the SNMP server that was originally set up to monitor it has failed to poll it for the last 1596 intervals
because someone quickly upgraded the ilo controller to fix the java console
and the guy that monitors the SNMP server has been on leave

None of those on Prem setups have better network consistency than 0365. Almost all of them don’t factor in their internet outages because being still able to email internally somehow isn’t an outage.

Nobody runs a 100% clean shop that is outage proof. Nobody escapes partial outages at the very least for an infinite amount of reasons.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

This is a person who has worked with Microsoft licensing before.

Honestly, I can't entirely blame them for their once-bitten, twice shy outlook on this issue.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I was never good with probability

But 18 servers instead of 3 means you're six times more likely to have a failure right?

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Our Magento contractor left an ancient version of adminer open to the public, and we got some malware on the site. Nobody but me sees this as a problem.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Bob Morales posted:

VMware lets you buy some of their products on a VM license already(vSphere for desktops for instance), on low units(1-30) it's actually cheaper than per core/server licensing.

https://www.vmware.com/support/support-resources/licensing/per-vm.html

Beside VDI, vSphere is sold/leased by VM for hosting purposes (SPP/Cloud Provider).

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Sep 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Let me share with you what we call "Mail drives"

What's a mail drive? Well, that's when someone complains enough about Outlook being slow that we buy a drive just to run their PST file on!

So, even though you have a 256GB SSD as your C: drive, your 20-30GB mail file gets moved to a:
160GB or 250GB HD we found that should be in the trash
1TB HD that we buy new

:haw:

I argued that in no way could this improve performance for anyone. It was meant with "MORE SPINDLES MORE POWAH"

I then said but even a dogshit OEM Dell SSD = 100 spindles