Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

why yes, we should definitely turn off voicemail transcription company-wide because it is not 100% perfect :fuckoff:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
One of our teams is buying a plugin that doesn't work with Windows 10 and requires ArcGIS 10.2 or lower (released in 2014). The manual states that "The data to run <tool> is held in a series of Access tables".

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

u brexit ukip it posted:

One of our teams is buying a plugin that doesn't work with Windows 10 and requires ArcGIS 10.2 or lower (released in 2014). The manual states that "The data to run <tool> is held in a series of Access tables".

Access....so that's Microsoft right?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

u brexit ukip it posted:

I really wish some standards or regulatory organization that management types will take seriously would come out and basically say in management-friendly terms that any software vendors that can't be bothered to support a five year old operating system are incompetent chucklefucks that should not just never be paid for software but should probably have their computers taken away and replaced with crayons.

I can sympathize with someone who buys a thing that checks all the boxes at the time and then finds out the hard way that the vendor didn't care about long term support, but something like this needs to have some good way for IT people to put their foot down when it's outdated before you even start. Not supporting Windows 10 at all should have been a red flag by 2016 and a hard no by 2017. Now that Windows 7 is entirely unsupported in a reasonable world any vendor saying they don't support Windows 10 would be literally laughed out of the building.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's getting better, not fast enough, but organizations are starting to figure out that if you can't update software you're gonna get owned (either because the hardware dies or you get hacked). It's a culture that didn't exist 20 years ago and the same dinosaurs that were making decisions back then are making decisions now because boomers never die.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

vp is mad at me because our log retention is only 90 days

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

wolrah posted:

I really wish some standards or regulatory organization that management types will take seriously would come out and basically say in management-friendly terms that any software vendors that can't be bothered to support a five year old operating system are incompetent chucklefucks that should not just never be paid for software but should probably have their computers taken away and replaced with crayons.

I can sympathize with someone who buys a thing that checks all the boxes at the time and then finds out the hard way that the vendor didn't care about long term support, but something like this needs to have some good way for IT people to put their foot down when it's outdated before you even start. Not supporting Windows 10 at all should have been a red flag by 2016 and a hard no by 2017. Now that Windows 7 is entirely unsupported in a reasonable world any vendor saying they don't support Windows 10 would be literally laughed out of the building.

It's getting better. People like the NCSC are providing information on things like passwords and supporting not having them expire, using single sign-on, enforcing MFA etc. that we can wave in the face of people who say "I want passwords to change every 30 days", and are quite specific about the problem of running ancient software (https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/guidance/obsolete-platforms-security-guidance).

It's stuff that we've been saying for years but having a government body say the same thing really adds weight to the argument.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

It's getting better. People like the NCSC are providing information on things like passwords and supporting not having them expire, using single sign-on, enforcing MFA etc. that we can wave in the face of people who say "I want passwords to change every 30 days", and are quite specific about the problem of running ancient software (https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/guidance/obsolete-platforms-security-guidance).

It's stuff that we've been saying for years but having a government body say the same thing really adds weight to the argument.

The NIST does the same thing for U.S. people, if your American company wants a domestic source. :911:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm not sure when exactly the government bodies decided to get involved with offering advice and publishing best practises, and for those to align with what security professionals are saying, but it's always a bit jarring to see a government IT source not talking about strong passwords and VPNs.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I have been playing a ton of video games since moving into this apartment, though. That and job applications, still waiting to hear back on one that would be a 50% raise, they said I'm in the top 3 choices and should hear back by Tuesday at the latest.

Grats! I just had a fairly successful phone interviewer with a recruiter who handles helpdesk at ibm. Hit it off, ran out of time, rescheduled serious employment talk for tomorrow. I guess that's a good sign!

Everyone's gotta get their foot in the door somewhere.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Thanatosian posted:

The NIST does the same thing for U.S. people, if your American company wants a domestic source. :911:

The password expiration thing is something the inforsec leadership is going to have a tough time accepting for a long time. An entire generation is going to have to die, at least.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Friend of mine in another division of the same company got fired today for “disparaging remarks about supervisor on social media “

The remarks:
Did not mention the company or the supervisor by name
Were made on a private discord server with a grand total of 9 users.

lovely way to end the day.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

The Fool posted:

Friend of mine in another division of the same company got fired today for “disparaging remarks about supervisor on social media “

The remarks:

Know who the snitch is?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

The Fool posted:

The remarks:

Out this fool, privately, so that no one you work with will ever trust them

In fact, narrow it down now and hellban them by getting everyone else on that server to block them without anyone telling them.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The snitch was a friend of a friend and doesn’t work at the company, just happened to also be friends with supervisor. Small town effect.

AFAIK, he’s been kicked off the discord.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

The Fool posted:

The snitch was a friend of a friend and doesn’t work at the company, just happened to also be friends with supervisor. Small town effect.

AFAIK, he’s been kicked off the discord.

Hellban him IRL, start shunning him, get your other friends on board. gently caress that class traitor.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

Hellban him IRL, start shunning him, get your other friends on board. gently caress that class traitor.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I couldn't imagine the pettiness involved with taking a discord discussion you saw from a friend of a friend to get that person fired. That person is without a doubt doing lovely things you don't know about behind your back. :sever:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Thanatosian posted:

Not emptyquoting.

gently caress people who do this kind of poo poo.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Snitches in ditches IMO.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

:hmmyes:

NCSC are good folks, as spooks go. They've been very helpful to point to when people say that open source is insecure.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

But his emails?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Lmao I was questioning why a government account was able to be phished and totally missed that it was a personal account

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Thanks Ants posted:

Lmao I was questioning why a government account was able to be phished and totally missed that it was a personal account
The articles elsewhere were unclear which account got hacked, but the Grauniad seems to know people:

quote:

Whitehall sources indicated the documents were hacked from a personal account rather than a parliamentary or ministerial one, prompting Labour to ask why Fox was using unsecured personal emails for government business.

A spokesman for the former minister declined to comment and later stressed the Cabinet Office had not publicly confirmed which account was hacked. Downing Street and the Cabinet Office said it was inappropriate to comment further given that criminal inquiries were continuing.

The stolen documents – a 451-page dossier of emails – ultimately ended up in the hands of Jeremy Corbyn during last winter’s election campaign after Russian actors tried to disseminate the material online. They had been posted on the social media platform Reddit and brought to the attention of the then Labour leader’s team. Corbyn said the documents revealed the NHS “was on the table” in trade talks with the US.

Details of Russia’s targeting of Fox’s emails were first revealed on Monday by Reuters, which said his account was accessed several times between 12 July and 21 October last year. It was unclear if the documents were obtained when the staunch leave supporter was still trade secretary; he was dropped by Boris Johnson on 24 July.

The attack is understood to have deployed a “spear-phishing” technique frequently used by Russian actors, in which superficially plausible emails are sent inviting the recipient to click on an attached file. The file contains malicious code designed to give access to or take control of the target’s computer.

I guess for the malicious code to be able to be run, it wasn't on his official, locked-down govt computer, but on his personal computer that probably hadn't been updated for months and had outdated AV software.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

u brexit ukip it posted:

At my most recent gig I had to support a PHP web application which in tyool 2020 still isn't updated for PHP7.

PHP5 stopped receiving security updates in 2018

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Collateral Damage posted:

At my most recent gig I had to support a PHP web application which in tyool 2020 still isn't updated for PHP7.

PHP5 stopped receiving security updates in 2018

Do you work at my old job

bonus points if they run them on CentOS servers that haven't been patched in years

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Moo the cow posted:

I guess for the malicious code to be able to be run, it wasn't on his official, locked-down govt computer, but on his personal computer that probably hadn't been updated for months and had outdated AV software.

Civil servants (that need it) have a special "secure" email address in addition to their normal work address, and that shouldn't've been anywhere near a non-secure laptop, but it's also true that when a minister says jump, people ask how high.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Internet Explorer posted:

why yes, we should definitely turn off voicemail company-wide

This only un-ironically.

Also speaker phone.

Also all phone communications, actually?

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Jaded Burnout posted:

Civil servants (that need it) have a special "secure" email address in addition to their normal work address, and that shouldn't've been anywhere near a non-secure laptop, but it's also true that when a minister says jump, people ask how high.

Sorry, that's not what I was pondering about.

I meant that for this to work, not only was he not using either of his secure, official email accounts that should have picked this up that his credentials were stolen, but it means he was doing official work on a personal laptop, without the security features in the OS to prevent the credential stealing in the first place.

As in he must have forwarded these Very Important Documents to his gmail account and then on his laptop, he clicked on a link about a Fedex invoice.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Moo the cow posted:

Sorry, that's not what I was pondering about.

I meant that for this to work, not only was he not using either of his secure, official email accounts that should have picked this up that his credentials were stolen, but it means he was doing official work on a personal laptop, without the security features in the OS to prevent the credential stealing in the first place.

As in he must have forwarded these Very Important Documents to his gmail account and then on his laptop, he clicked on a link about a Fedex invoice.

Yeah that's kinda what I meant also. Either a personal email address or his non-secure work one, and the "minister" part meaning nobody's putting their neck out to tell him not to (or say no if he says "forward me that stuff so I don't have to dig out the other laptop").

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Jaded Burnout posted:

Yeah that's kinda what I meant also. Either a personal email address or his non-secure work one, and the "minister" part meaning nobody's putting their neck out to tell him not to (or say no if he says "forward me that stuff so I don't have to dig out the other laptop").

Want to make a wager as to what email provider he was using?

In my heart, I feel it's yahoo.co.uk

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

hotmail

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Schadenboner posted:

This only un-ironically.

Also speaker phone.

Also all phone communications, actually?

yes but transcribed voicemail gets you a step closer to that, not a step further away

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

yes but transcribed voicemail gets you a step closer to that, not a step further away

Oh, it was also an edit-joke. I mean murder voicemail (but also that other stuff).

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Schadenboner posted:

I mean murder voicemail

:hmmyes:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Ugh, literally getting flashbacks to working internal IT for a lovely regional telco and all the loving SMB sales reps were in their own little room next to the IT shop and they all loving used speakerphone.

:shudder:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Schadenboner posted:

Ugh, literally getting flashbacks to working internal IT for a lovely regional telco and all the loving SMB sales reps were in their own little room next to the IT shop and they all loving used speakerphone.

:shudder:

I like when people in one office call the guy in the office 3 doors over, both on speaker phone so you get stereo sound

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

People who use speaker when they are only on the call by themselves in that room are the loving worse and should be fired into the sun. Use a headset you monsters. The worst part is I've known way too many people in IT who do that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I am scared of my phone, something horrible like snakes or spiders will flood out of the earpiece if I pick it up.

So I put a ridiculous amount of effort into never touching my phone at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

People who use speaker when they are only on the call by themselves in that room are the loving worse and should be fired into the sun. Use a headset you monsters. The worst part is I've known way too many people in IT who do that.

I'm convinced that like 40% of the incoming calls I deal with are some rear end in a top hat on speaker phone in an environment that they have no business being on speaker phone on.

Like I get that stuff is non-optimal in the time of Covid, but gently caress. I've had people sound like they were calling from aluminum tubes, they echo so bad (and I can hear myself when I speak, which also echoes).