Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

wargames posted:

ffffff are you still hiring help desk for that much?

3 years of help desk with networking and some sysadmin with CCNA and i only make 38k

Also since my company just let go 280 people on the warehouse side of things, i should really update my resume and start passing that terrible thing around.

3 years? yeah GTFO you're not going to get a raise and if they haven't promoted you yet, it's because of one of the following:

1) They value you where you are, not where you could be
2) No positions above you and someone needs to die for there to be a spot
3) You are horrible at your job

I assume #3 is untrue and #1/2 will never change so find a job that pays you 60K+ and do something other than answer phones/support tickets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

MF_James posted:

3 years? yeah GTFO you're not going to get a raise and if they haven't promoted you yet, it's because of one of the following:

1) They value you where you are, not where you could be
2) No positions above you and someone needs to die for there to be a spot
3) You are horrible at your job

I assume #3 is untrue and #1/2 will never change so find a job that pays you 60K+ and do something other than answer phones/support tickets.

I don't think I am horrible t my job as they haven't fired me yet, but gently caress trying to find a good IT job on the networking side in north florida. Also i am terrible at writing my resume, any suggestions on resume/job search?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I think there's a resume thread in BFC? Post yours.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

wargames posted:

I don't think I am horrible t my job as they haven't fired me yet, but gently caress trying to find a good IT job on the networking side in north florida. Also i am terrible at writing my resume, any suggestions on resume/job search?

There's a goon that does resume work and creation and is more than fair about time, listening to your work history and needs and phrasing it for you.

I recently hired them for a family member to get them out of a work lul and I think it was worthwhile.

You may want to take a visit here. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2832510&pagenumber=1 Not free, but also not agonizing for you to do yourself either.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

TheParadigm posted:

There's a goon that does resume work and creation and is more than fair about time, listening to your work history and needs and phrasing it for you.

I recently hired them for a family member to get them out of a work lul and I think it was worthwhile.

You may want to take a visit here. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2832510&pagenumber=1 Not free, but also not agonizing for you to do yourself either.

Guess i have to translate what i do into a resume, and i have a real issue talking about about, but the problem is i don't hate this job the pto is great, but man it sucks getting paid so little.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

quote:

Job Requirements:
10+ years of experience working in IT infrastructure
5+ years in customer facing role working with enterprise clients
At least one of below certification;
(CCIE certification)
(CCDE) certification
(JNCIE)

Skill Level:
Entry Level
Ok great thanks for showing up in my Entry Level filter.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Woof Blitzer posted:

You are getting screwed for sure.

Well, that salary is at a place that has decided that competent helpdesk people are worth hanging on to. I'd certainly agree that having 1st Level not sucking is worth almost any amount of money. You'll end up with unambitious people who have seen it all, this may or may not turn out to be a feature.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

wargames posted:

Give it a couple more months and COVID will probably kill enough Floridians to open up some positions. Morbid, but also true.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Actuarial Fables posted:

Ok great thanks for showing up in my Entry Level filter.
They just mean the pay will be entry level.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

guppy posted:

Give it a couple more months and COVID will probably kill enough Floridians to open up some positions. Morbid, but also true.

Equally, computer touchers are the least likely to be human touchers.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

guppy posted:

sadly we are like 15th or 19th when it comes to death per 1000, having a bunch of old people and hurricanes meant that we over built our icu beds vs other states.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
God drat there is nothing more annoying than being made responsible for handling everything o365 related but then having your global admin role revoked.
Oh wait, yes there is! Like 4 other people who have never even logged in to the admin console have Global Admin role, but my boss still refuses to switch it back because "best practices."

I am the second most senior person on the team next to the Network Engineer.

What spurred this sudden decision to "lock down" our o365? We were hacked. Afterwards my manager googled "Were hacked. wat do?" and saw a post where someone said it's best practices to have no more than 4 global admins.
So, manager guy just removed that role from all but 5 people, and then placed me in charge of locking down "the microsoft" and went on vacation.

It's been months and despite me constantly emailing him with specific permissions and pretty pictures on how to add permissions I'm still not able to do like half the poo poo I need to.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

It's been months and despite me constantly emailing him with specific permissions and pretty pictures on how to add permissions I'm still not able to do like half the poo poo I need to.

Lets see. I think I've studied this one! Isn't the bastard move to forward all the tickets to your boss ?

and/or bus-chuck them with a 'due to new management policies after the security breach on (date), we are unable to make changes to o365, please forward all complaints to (person above you with authority to fix it)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

God drat there is nothing more annoying than being made responsible for handling everything o365 related but then having your global admin role revoked.
Oh wait, yes there is! Like 4 other people who have never even logged in to the admin console have Global Admin role, but my boss still refuses to switch it back because "best practices."

I am the second most senior person on the team next to the Network Engineer.

What spurred this sudden decision to "lock down" our o365? We were hacked. Afterwards my manager googled "Were hacked. wat do?" and saw a post where someone said it's best practices to have no more than 4 global admins.
So, manager guy just removed that role from all but 5 people, and then placed me in charge of locking down "the microsoft" and went on vacation.

Holy gently caress. So much going on there and yes, the global admins are something you want to cut to the bone on but no, there is no magic number. Technically the person who would do all of o365 things would be a highly a highly elevated account like global admin. Provisioning elevated access in 0365 takes a lot of work and going through a guide isn't a confidence boost.

But you have bigger issues. If you were "hacked" you most likely have issues with auth. I assume no mfa or basic configured conditional access policies? That is one of the first things you should be doing in office 365.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Quick reminder that MS has a thing called "Security Defaults" that will get you Azure MFA + some other stuff for free if you're in a position to be able to turn it on for all of your users.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/fundamentals/concept-fundamentals-security-defaults

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Also hopefully it goes without saying but don't have the accounts you actually use be the ones that are the admin ones, make new accounts for that.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

It sounds like the bigger issue is that GC4U doesn't have any of the access required to actually implement anything to resolve the problem.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Sickening posted:

Holy gently caress. So much going on there and yes, the global admins are something you want to cut to the bone on but no, there is no magic number. Technically the person who would do all of o365 things would be a highly a highly elevated account like global admin. Provisioning elevated access in 0365 takes a lot of work and going through a guide isn't a confidence boost.

But you have bigger issues. If you were "hacked" you most likely have issues with auth. I assume no mfa or basic configured conditional access policies? That is one of the first things you should be doing in office 365.

Yeah there's a whole shitton going on there. The hack didn't involve o365 at all actually. I managed to figure out what CISA apparently overlooked; that the attackers exploited an unpatched guacamole vuln in our remote access gateway to skim logins from people. Actually I can't say for sure if they missed it since I the same manager never allowed me access to the investigation or any of the findings even though I'm the one that worked to provide them all the info they needed for it. But I'm just making assumptions because it wasn't in the list of recommendations that I was asked to implement but was never provided and am not allowed to obtain.
Yeah let that sink in for a second. There seems to be a pattern of Manager asking me to do things and then going out of his way to prevent me from doing them...

I'm well aware that not everyone should be a GA and I agree that there should be as few as possible. But those few should be the ones that actually NEED it like the CIO, one engineer and maybe a backup. Not the Manager, the Network Engineer, and a Helpdesk dude. The part that really burns me is that he just removed the role and made no attempt to replace any permissions with the proper roles and appears to be actively fighting me every time I need access to do something.

The built in default roles in o365 should be good enough for us, but every time I need access to any part of any one of the admin centers he wants me to build a role that only gives access to that one particular thing and nothing else in that page.
For example: Security and Compliance Messsage Traces or Spam or something. It's not even good enough if I tell him (since I can't make the role myself) how to give access to the Threat Policies menu, he wants separate roles for Policies> Anti-spam, Anti-Phishing, Anti-Malware... and even then he still won't create the role.

Like gently caress off dude, I'm literally the only person on our 7 person team who does any of this poo poo. Rather, who WOULD do it if I could.

The Fool posted:

Quick reminder that MS has a thing called "Security Defaults" that will get you Azure MFA + some other stuff for free if you're in a position to be able to turn it on for all of your users.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/fundamentals/concept-fundamentals-security-defaults
We have duo but we haven't fully implemented it yet and unfortunately my hands are kinda tied at the moment since... well I can't.

dragonshardz posted:

It sounds like the bigger issue is that GC4U doesn't have any of the access required to actually implement anything to resolve the problem.
Bingo. And nobody else really cares to do anything except scream "SECURITY" at the top of their lungs.

Thanks Ants posted:

Also hopefully it goes without saying but don't have the accounts you actually use be the ones that are the admin ones, make new accounts for that.

Yeah, duh. I have separate accounts for admin in each domain (including DMZ) as well as a user account, as well as a separate account for admin on RDP landing pads.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Aug 12, 2020

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Just start closing tickets "unable to resolve, insufficient access".

Also update your resume.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

mllaneza posted:

Also update your resume.

Yeah I've pretty much just resigned myself to posting "can't fix" in a bunch of tickets and moving on, being sure to directly CC the head honcho. I've got plenty of other poo poo to do already without becoming the defacto CISO without the title.

Resume has been good to go since February when I got my pension but I'm just gonna ride this sweet wave of WFH until it crashes on the shore. Taking lunchtime naps is too good to pass up.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

mllaneza posted:

Also update your resume.

I'd change the word "insufficient" to "refused" if it were me.

e: nvm, it turned into a rant about how out of fucks I am regarding people playing games like that.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

wtf

https://www.linkedin.com/help/linkedin/answer/93278/disabling-the-linkedin-mobile-app-on-your-android-device?lang=en

quote:

The LinkedIn mobile app may have been pre-installed on certain Android devices. While you’re unable to delete this mobile application, you can disable it by following the steps listed on Google Play.

Note: Disabling the mobile app frees up the memory used by the application, so it will no longer consume any battery or CPU.

There was me feeling stupid for thinking I was missing the uninstall option somewhere. Thanks for preinstalling an app you can't remove that's nonetheless going to run all the time.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Jaded Burnout posted:

There was me feeling stupid for thinking I was missing the uninstall option somewhere. Thanks for preinstalling an app you can't remove that's nonetheless going to run all the time.

I had a test Android phone for work from Verizon or something and it came with a pre-installed and unremovable copy of the loving NFL app. As I recall the only way to genuinely remove it was to root the phone. I guess at least the NFL app probably isn't spying on you to sell your information to recruiters.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pfft every single app and website is shipping off every bit of information about you they can because that's the new economy.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Carriers and OEMs like Samsung are garbage about making pre-install deals for software (for example, all Samsung devices have loving McAfee embedded as a core part of the system.) This is why you buy a Pixel device.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

bull3964 posted:

Carriers and OEMs like Samsung are garbage about making pre-install deals for software (for example, all Samsung devices have loving McAfee embedded as a core part of the system.) This is why you buy a Pixel device.

Or an Android One device. My Motorola is clean stock Android, aside from like two Motorola apps to support gestures and track skipping via the volume rocker.

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.
"iT WaS WoooRkINggg yesTUrDaY!!!"

But it's not working today. So unless you have a time machine to go back to yesterday when it was working, let me do my troubleshooting.

"i DidN'T dO ANythinG dIFferEnt!"

Right, sometimes files get corrupt. Can we try this troubleshooting step?

"IT hAS woRKed finE FOr ThE pASt fOUR wEEeekS!!"

Well, like I said, things can change, sometimes in an instant. Like how 15 minutes ago, before I started talking to you, I didn't want to shoot myself in the face. And now, suddenly, I do.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The iPhone marketing could just be "doesn't have all this preloaded poo poo, doesn't have banner adverts in the phone dialer" and that would be enough for me. I'd lose battery life, camera quality, radio quality if the alternative was to be exposed to what carrier-branded Android handsets have become.

https://twitter.com/robotodd/status/1229768673352724480

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I really hate the dogshit software the State/Medicaid force on accountants.

Out of date documentation, 'Extract to a folder on your C drive' methods of installation/patching...

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

CollegeCop posted:

"iT WaS WoooRkINggg yesTUrDaY!!!"

But it's not working today. So unless you have a time machine to go back to yesterday when it was working, let me do my troubleshooting.

"i DidN'T dO ANythinG dIFferEnt!"

Right, sometimes files get corrupt. Can we try this troubleshooting step?

"IT hAS woRKed finE FOr ThE pASt fOUR wEEeekS!!"

Well, like I said, things can change, sometimes in an instant. Like how 15 minutes ago, before I started talking to you, I didn't want to shoot myself in the face. And now, suddenly, I do.

I just had one of these where somebody was playing telephone for a user who was having a problem. I told them to have the user use the "Report a Bug" link for its intended purpose and had this interaction with the user:

User: "i don't see option X in feature Y."
Me: "Yeah, unfortunately feature Y doesn't support that. We'll look into adding it, but use feature Z for now."
User: "I should have clarified that I can see option X for some users."

No you loving can't, because that feature doesn't support that.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Wtf samsung, I have a pending system update for my S10 5G that i'm probably going to avoid doing for now because I bet it has that crap bundled in there.

Speaking of ads in annoying places...

Wife rebooted her computer, I think 2004 had already installed but maybe not; it had her go through the privacy stuff again for some reason and at the end of it was essentially an ad for O365, it is probably technically not an ad somehow but it definitely had a button to click to go purchase licenses.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

bull3964 posted:

I personally use a Pixel, yeah. Just seemed particularly absurd to me that the NFL is paying Samsung or whoever to force everyone to have the NFL app on their phones like people are going to accidentally open it one day and realize that they've secretly loved football all of their lives and they just never knew it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Thanks Ants posted:

The iPhone marketing could just be "doesn't have all this preloaded poo poo, doesn't have banner adverts in the phone dialer" and that would be enough for me. I'd lose battery life, camera quality, radio quality if the alternative was to be exposed to what carrier-branded Android handsets have become.

https://twitter.com/robotodd/status/1229768673352724480

That example isn't even because of carriers, that's all Samsung baby.

The places tab in the stock Samsung dialer app is just an paid placement for a 3rd party search tracking ad delivery platform.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Wallet posted:

I personally use a Pixel, yeah. Just seemed particularly absurd to me that the NFL is paying Samsung or whoever to force everyone to have the NFL app on their phones like people are going to accidentally open it one day and realize that they've secretly loved football all of their lives and they just never knew it.

"Accidentally open and realize you love Football!" isn't really the goal of advertising once you get to "household name" status. Everyone knows what the NFL is, just like everyone knows about Coke.

Once you get to that level, advertising becomes more about conditioning the brain to recognize the thing-being-advertised as familiar and comfortable. People are more likely to view familiar things in a favorable light. This keeps people loyal to the brand and, occasionally, makes someone pick up the brand over some other brand that doesn't have the same amount of mindshare.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Mine also was not a carrier phone, and is also a Motorola, but it was the cheapest decent android I could buy for my business at the time (around £120 on amazon) and when my iphone broke I switched to it because other than that one garbage "feature" it works totally fine at a third of the price of the cheapest Pixel phone.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Speaking of Android, y'all saw this, right?
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2020/08/snapdragon-chip-flaws-put-1-billion-android-phones-at-risk-of-data-theft/

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

bull3964 posted:

That example isn't even because of carriers, that's all Samsung baby.

The places tab in the stock Samsung dialer app is just an paid placement for a 3rd party search tracking ad delivery platform.

Unironically this. My Samsung TV won't stop showing me ads in the home bar. When they first started showing up like a month after I bought it, I called Samsung support, they refused to call them ads, no I can't shut them off because they're "promotions", "suggestions", etc, someone really high up clearly made it impossible for the tech to utter the word "ad" during that conversation, to the point that I deconstructed what it is just to see if they could agree that a promotion inserted into the TV for a 3rd party product was an ad. That word could not leave their lips. Pi-hole fixed it for a while, but then they kept popping up and I kept having to blacklist new domains. Now they show up no matter what I do, and my TV still makes thousands of telemetry calls to their CDN every day.

Never buy Samsung.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
My Vizio randomly pops up (years and years after buying it) with stuff sometimes; the latest one was a notification of a class action settlement about Vizio snooping users' data or something so that was cool. It pales in comparison to my TCL Roku TV though, I can't imagine the amount of user data they're sending back with that thing.

I hate smart devices almost as much as I hate touchscreens in cars.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

klosterdev posted:

Unironically this. My Samsung TV won't stop showing me ads in the home bar. When they first started showing up like a month after I bought it, I called Samsung support, they refused to call them ads, no I can't shut them off because they're "promotions", "suggestions", etc, someone really high up clearly made it impossible for the tech to utter the word "ad" during that conversation, to the point that I deconstructed what it is just to see if they could agree that a promotion inserted into the TV for a 3rd party product was an ad. That word could not leave their lips. Pi-hole fixed it for a while, but then they kept popping up and I kept having to blacklist new domains. Now they show up no matter what I do, and my TV still makes thousands of telemetry calls to their CDN every day.

Never buy Samsung.

I'd return a product if it did that. If you want to show me ads then the TV had better be free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Two people cannot 'work on a server' at the same time.